PDA

View Full Version : zelos 36 problem

REDLINE1
08-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. Looks like my stuffing was installed incorrectly. The curve in the brass tube is supposed to curve up from the strut to the motor. Mine is twisted slightly and curves inward toward the rudder. I get some vibration on that side and more resistance as the cable or wire As it's fighting the strut which is straight. I've had the boat for almost a year and never noticed it

CraigP
08-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Well, I would get that stuffing tube out and put a new one in. Big job, but it needs to be right!

dasboata
08-21-2017, 07:23 PM
What I did is slowly scraped away at the bondo holding it in , with a solder iron , and a heated curved chisel.. I made ,,I then lined it up & re bonded it the whole stinger stuffing box is a poor design without having some flex back there for adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigP
08-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Yeah, isn't that where the up/down pivot point is? Your right dashbota, something is off there... May have to check the other side. My deep V has an O-ring at the back of the stinger tube to the back of the transom. It's flex at that point in my boat.

REDLINE1
08-21-2017, 08:16 PM
I was thinking cut out as much of the brass tube on the inside as I can then cut the brass tube flush with the pad where the strut mounts. Then get a drill the same size (or slightly larger) than the OD of the brass tube and try and drill the tube out where it passes through the transom. The tube is so thin I'm worried the drill will grab the brass and tear everything up. Don't know how if I could get a replacement tube from proboat or if I'd have to make a new one

CraigP
08-21-2017, 08:21 PM
It's just standard brass tubing, I wouldn't be shy about that... but what we are saying is the pic looks like you have straight prop shaft where that should be a flex point, unless I'm missing something.

dasboata
08-21-2017, 08:39 PM
I was thinking cut out as much of the brass tube on the inside as I can then cut the brass tube flush with the pad where the strut mounts. Then get a drill the same size (or slightly larger) than the OD of the brass tube and try and drill the tube out where it passes through the transom. The tube is so thin I'm worried the drill will grab the brass and tear everything up. Don't know how if I could get a replacement tube from proboat or if I'd have to make a new one

I had changed the stuffing boxes to 1/4" no liner (thanks Doug ) the Teflon is a bit heavy(thick) and it does do develop some heat !

dasboata
08-21-2017, 08:45 PM
It's just standard brass tubing, I wouldn't be shy about that... but what we are saying is the pic looks like you have straight prop shaft where that should be a flex point, unless I'm missing something.

he has the stinger drive off to show us its not straight

CraigP
08-21-2017, 08:57 PM
It's different than my setup. Not much help here, sorry! Pics of the tube inside the boat and a pic of your stinger could help on the visual.

REDLINE1
08-21-2017, 11:01 PM
he has the stinger drive off to show us its not straight
Yes stinger off cable pushed in further to show that it is crooked

REDLINE1
08-21-2017, 11:03 PM
I had changed the stuffing boxes to 1/4" no liner (thanks Doug ) the Teflon is a bit heavy(thick) and it does do develop some heat !

Been running wire drives so I think the larger stock stuffing tube might be better because the wire will have a more gradual bend up to the motor?

REDLINE1
08-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replys guys

Rafael_Lopez
08-22-2017, 11:21 AM
If you notice, the stuffing tube does not go all the way in to the strut and the solid shaft site further out of the tube. There is some play in the strut that allows you to rotate the strut either towards the rudder or away from it. Its no different than adding positive or negative angle to the strut. If your cable is not showing signs of friction at that spot, don't worry bout it; it wont negatively affect anything. I wish I could say that all the boats are perfect but they are mass produced and things happen, but I would not go through the trouble of breaking the stuffing tube loose to spin it a couple degrees, especially if it is only causing aesthetic issues on a part that you can only see when the strut is removed.

REDLINE1
08-22-2017, 12:15 PM
If you notice, the stuffing tube does not go all the way in to the strut and the solid shaft site further out of the tube. There is some play in the strut that allows you to rotate the strut either towards the rudder or away from it. Its no different than adding positive or negative angle to the strut. If your cable is not showing signs of friction at that spot, don't worry bout it; it wont negatively affect anything. I wish I could say that all the boats are perfect but they are mass produced and things happen, but I would not go through the trouble of breaking the stuffing tube loose to spin it a couple degrees, especially if it is only causing aesthetic issues on a part that you can only see when the strut is removed.

I pushed the cable shaft further in to show the angle. the issue I'm having is that side vibrates when running and is not as smooth as the other side there's some friction created by the misalignment

Rafael_Lopez
08-22-2017, 12:28 PM
IMO, that would cause no any more vibration than adjusting the strut positive or negative would; you're putting a bend on the cable either way. Vibration will come because the nut retaining the ball joint on the strut is loose or your props aren't balanced. I'd be really surprised if that is causing the vibration, but anything is possible.

REDLINE1
08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
IMO, that would cause no any more vibration than adjusting the strut positive or negative would; you're putting a bend on the cable either way. Vibration will come because the nut retaining the ball joint on the strut is loose or your props aren't balanced. I'd be really surprised if that is causing the vibration, but anything is possible.

Thanks for the advice. the other side spins smooth as silk. ball joint is tight and props are Dasboata balanced and prepped. That side has noticeable more friction compared to the good side. Had the ESC on that side fail last fall. I wonder if there's more load on the motor on that side

REDLINE1
08-23-2017, 08:46 PM
For those who are interested I was able to remove the crooked brass stuffing tube by carefully drilling it out with a 5/16" drill Ended up being a piece of cake was out in 5min. A trip to my local ace hardware and I found a matching k&s brass 5/16" tube

CraigP
08-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Excellent! Nicely done!

fweasel
08-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Sweet. Interested to see if a quick bench test shows that side spin more freely.

REDLINE1
08-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks!

REDLINE1
08-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Sweet. Interested to see if a quick bench test shows that side spin more freely.

Seems smoother
Haven't epoxied it yet. That's tomorrow nights project as it's almost time to hit the sack. Gonna put it all back together with stinger and cable installed to hold everything in alignment then load it up with epoxy on the inside. I have some marine rx epoxy left over I thought I might use. Also have some marine jb weld

dasboata
08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
I pushed the cable shaft further in to show the angle. the issue I'm having is that side vibrates when running and is not as smooth as the other side there's some friction created by the misalignment

So what I have found is the angle of the stinger drive does not line up with the stuffing box stub, ( hole) that sticks out the back of the transom if you change the angle it will go in smother just remove the 1 screw on the stinger drive and the big nut, look in there and you will see what I am talking about Good luck !

REDLINE1
08-24-2017, 01:30 PM
So what I have found is the angle of the stinger drive does not line up with the stuffing box stub, ( hole) that sticks out the back of the transom if you change the angle it will go in smother just rempove the 1 screw on the stinger drive and the big nut look in there and you will see what I am talking about Good luck !

Thanks, I'll check it out

Rafael_Lopez
08-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Let us know if this fixed the vibration. I've advised manufacturing to pay attention to this, for future production.

Sorry you had to deal with this.

REDLINE1
08-26-2017, 08:16 AM
So far so good got it all back together and lined up straight. Prop spins free no drag. The strut has a little slop in it from wear but overall it seems to run much better

Erroneous
08-26-2017, 10:22 PM
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc6ltsb

REDLINE1
08-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Is it hard to drill the stinger straight by hand to instal those? If I could chuck it in my lathe it would be perfect but the stinger is odd shaped with the ear on it and it wouldn't chuck in a regular 3 jaw

Erroneous
08-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Is it hard to drill the stinger straight by hand to instal those? If I could chuck it in my lathe it would be perfect but the stinger is odd shaped with the ear on it and it wouldn't chuck in a regular 3 jaw

I just clamped mine in a vise and used a new 1/4" drill bit on low speed (air nozzle to chase away cuttings).. The main thing to watch out for is the bit grabbing the brass. Lil locktite on the new sleeve and viola.

fweasel
08-27-2017, 02:45 PM
I just clamped mine in a vise and used a new 1/4" drill bit on low speed (air nozzle to chase away cuttings).. The main thing to watch out for is the bit grabbing the brass. Lil locktite on the new sleeve and viola.
Thanks for the tip. I thought they had to be pressed in/out.

REDLINE1
08-28-2017, 12:39 PM
short video of my Zelos with the corrected stuffing tube and blueprinted sponsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPT8Q1O4nqc

Runs much smoother than before but still needs some tweeking. Looks like its running a little wet to me

REDLINE1
09-01-2017, 12:03 PM

I got these yesterday from OSE. They seem kinda loose on the prop driveshaft. Do they tighten up when you press them into the strut?

CraigP
09-01-2017, 05:08 PM
I got these yesterday from OSE. They seem kinda loose on the prop driveshaft. Do they tighten up when you press them into the strut?

Not really, they rely on grease to take up the play. Try greasing them and then see if they are loose.

REDLINE1
09-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Got them installed. Once you get the front and back one installed they tighten up a bit . Worked out well. Thanks

fweasel
09-05-2017, 02:50 PM
I'll be sending my struts over to your shop for an offseason refresh. That is, if I don't destroy the rest of the boat first.

REDLINE1
09-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I'll be sending my struts over to your shop for an offseason refresh. That is, if I don't destroy the rest of the boat first.

LOl least I could do for you letting me use your 1814's

Erroneous
09-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Good stuff. They are for sure more slick than brass, easy to change out now.