PDA

View Full Version : Zelos 36 paint match

REDLINE1
08-19-2017, 03:35 PM
FYI. After searching for a spray paint that matches the Zelos yellow I believe I have found an almost perfect match. ACE premium enamel "sunshine yellow" almost perfect. Second, Krylon sun yellow SCS-036 almost just as good but the ACE is just a touch closer

MadProps
08-19-2017, 04:02 PM
incase your not familiar with Krylon be very careful using it...krylon can ruin a paint job on you...following the directions will get you into trouble the amount & type of thinners in the krylon spray paint will eat previous layers if not applied properly. directions say to wait a week before re coating, but I have had paint jobs go krinkle 2 weeks old and older

I really like Krylon and am very familiar with it but.....
all paint work needs to be completed in one session including a clear coat and the clear coat is important it seems to seal off the color coats....other wise you end up with a crinkle paint job

do not repaint for a week that clear coat needs to harden
your results may vary :wink:

Bp9145
08-19-2017, 05:01 PM
incase your not familiar with Krylon be very careful using it...krylon can ruin a paint job on you...following the directions will get you into trouble the amount & type of thinners in the krylon spray paint will eat previous layers if not applied properly. directions say to wait a week before re coating, but I have had paint jobs go krinkle 2 weeks old and older

I really like Krylon and am very familiar with it but.....
all paint work needs to be completed in one session including a clear coat and the clear coat is important it seems to seal off the color coats....other wise you end up with a crinkle paint job

do not repaint for a week that clear coat needs to harden
your results may vary :wink:

Isn't it in general that all newly painted surface should completely dry first before applying the clear coat? But, if your experience with Krylon tells you to do it all at once. . .paint to desired amount of coats then clear coat, then I like it because then I'm done and just wait for everything to dry, much faster. I've had clear coat come off down in time because I used different brands. . .I think that was the reason. Well, I'm going to try doing it your way on my next paint job. . .

MadProps
08-19-2017, 07:31 PM
my last Krylon job I was completely staged I had my decals ready ....sprayed the color coat, krylon dries so fast I applied the decals within 1 hour then sprayed the clear coat ........

just google krylon paint wrinkle..... im not the only one thats had issues & dont mix paint brands

do a test on scrap both ways

Bp9145
08-19-2017, 11:42 PM
my last Krylon job I was completely staged I had my decals ready ....sprayed the color coat, krylon dries so fast I applied the decals within 1 hour then sprayed the clear coat ........

just google krylon paint wrinkle..... im not the only one thats had issues & dont mix paint brands

do a test on scrap both ways

Will do. . thanks

fweasel
08-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Testors sunflower gloss is dead nuts on

CraigP
08-20-2017, 01:59 PM
I can't get Testor paint to work at all! It seems it's just a crap shoot if I get crinkle or not. Been using Rustoleum enamel and primer. From Lowe's.. Getting pretty good results with it.. I sure wish I had a paint gun and compressor, but I just don't do paint enough to justify it. But aresol cans are a recipe for orange peel... Wet sand, wet sand, wet sand... I hate painting 'em, but love it looking good! I think the top clear cost is very important!

fweasel
08-20-2017, 03:59 PM
I should clarify, the testors paint is a good chip and scratch touch up solution, not full on painting coverage

REDLINE1
08-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Retraction on my earlier post. I did some blueprinting on my sponsons. Painted the reworked areas this morning came out nice but the color did not match as close as I thought. Gonna just run it as is. It's not so bad plus it's the bottom

REDLINE1
08-20-2017, 05:34 PM
I should clarify, the testors paint is a good chip and scratch touch up solution, not full on painting coverage

Agreed the testers is a good touch up

CraigP
08-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Yes, it's thin and fills nicks good and has some self-leveling to it. I think the aresol is too thin. I've had run issues with it too. Glad I'm not the only one with problems with this paint!

CraigP
08-20-2017, 06:22 PM
What did you do the the sponsons, if you don't mind me asking? They look great!

REDLINE1
08-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Block sanded them then leveled them with marine rx epoxy