PDA

View Full Version : New to this awesome forum BUT have some questions

Wild1
08-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a British expat living and working here in Malaysia for the last 25 years.
My son and I have been running a china made rtr hydro recently. It sat on the shelf in my workshop for 7 years or so and only now we got it out.
The boat is about 28 inches long with as std a 40mm prop, the pitch I have no idea what it is. We changed out the stock motor for some motors I have from aeroplanes and helicopters with some mixed results. Eventually I took out the Scorpion 3206 1900kv motor from my Trex 500 helicopter together with the Align 80amp esc. We upped the batteries to test using 3s 5000mah then 4s 5800mah and then finally 6s 3000 mah.
I also did some testing with the prop sizes.
The result is that the 35mm prop with 4s 5800mah battery ran the best, meaning to say quite fast and ran the coolest. I got over excited with the 6s and ran it too fast and too long with the 40mm prop, I must say was scary fast but popped a cell on the battery through over heating (yes stupid on my part).

Now my son and I have the speed bug, so we are looking for a fast catamaran, twin engines and good running times.
What are the suggestions? we are currently looking at the 41inch Zonda.

I flew helicopter for many years and that was many years ago (I have almost forgotten all things rc) and they were petrol not electric. I was also big into scale looking so if possible we also like to see a catamaran with twin outboards, again any suggestion please?

I do however have some questions;

1, What is the difference between running 4s or 6s full speed at the same mah? will I get longer run times from a 6s? or will I just get more speed?

2, How do I calculate the amp draw for different sizes of prop? or do I have to measure the amps for each prop? if measure what tool do you use?

I have much more to learn and read this forum daily but will still post questions from time to time, please be patient as I think my questions may be very basic.

The video is my son running the boat with the scorpion motor and the throttle cut back to 80% until he gets the hang of it.

https://vimeo.com/229654104

stephen

Wild1
08-15-2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the clarification, how do I measure the amps per prop size?
I also attached a link to vimeo of a video but it is not there, can anyone tell me why?

CraigP
08-15-2017, 10:23 AM
You will need to install a data logger to get your actual running amps. Eagle Tree eLogger V4 is a great piece of gear and if you shop right, a great buy. You download data to your laptop and run their free app to see graphs of the documented functions. I keep a library of graphs by prop size and have learned a tremendous amount of insight using this tool!

Without a datalogger, you're really guessing. Or blow an ESC, then realize the setup was too hot. If you search for eagle tree here, you'll get much info. Also do a google search...

Zondar
08-15-2017, 02:04 PM
I would look for something other than the Zonda.

Wild1
08-15-2017, 06:26 PM
Once again tanks for the input,

CRAIGP, I will look into the eagle tree, I don't know why I am so stupid I know about these from my heli days but it seems to have slipped my mind.

ZONDAR Why look for other than the zonda? and what is your suggestion please?

Any thoughts on the Genesis hull from hobby king?

Stephen

R2315
08-23-2017, 07:58 PM
How much do you want to spend? although not with outboards, my next boat is going to be a cat and I will be looking at the Toysport Jolly. Its a more expensive ARTR but I can tell you from owning another one of his boats that they are very well made and could be customized to whatever you want and worth every dollar.

MadProps
08-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Any thoughts on the Genesis hull from hobby king?
I just finished dialing in the genesis my second boat, its a great boat to build up for SAW runs. Im new to RC boats from the heli/FPV drone world aswell
the stock motor is a 4s motor and will run 45mph, but I ran it on 6s for more speed (shorter run times)and got maybe 50 saw runs out of it before I smoked it running 6s, It has a small 4mm flexshaft system that needs upgrading if you upgrade the motor to a higher torque motor
to do it again .... your better off buying just the hull, Ive replaced every piece of hardware except the front motor mount for upgrade parts