PDA

View Full Version : Tech. Question

Boatman
11-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I realize not many have seen the boat but, to those who have or heard. Will stuff tubes and framing inside need as much tweaking as many other RTR boats? Would removing the teflon inside stuff tube be feasable? These if were not needing fixed from factory could add some speed and reliablity sales from newb's. Just wondering if they realized how many put so much work into their previous boats to show up as bad report from forums.

Grimracer
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Tweaking? Do you mean aligning? BTY there is no framing inside the boat. Personally I do not run a boat with out checking the alignment of the shaft.. (All boats RTR or other)

(BTY.. nothing to do with this project) I once tested how far off you could have a stuffing tube, still win races and not have crap break.. You would be surprised.. its silly.. it will eventually start to split the brass, way before the cable start to fatigue.

I would only remove the Teflon IF i was to use an auto oilier. (not typical on FE boats)

When you say They.. do you mean ME? That is what you are saying. Bottom line.. Im a boat racer. I also have a background in mechanical design. I ran my own successful RC business so I have a good idea of how to listen to the end user. Lots of I’s in there but its just the facts.

But like all product development projects you have trade offs.. (I call it picking your battles). If you go to the fight with the intention of winning them all.. you will DIE trying. There is no such thing as winning them all. When it comes to how many holes we drill in a bushing or the alignment of the stuffing tube… the cost it can take to communicate that can might not be worth the gain..

So

You like to have the shaft aligned PERFITLY with the stuffing tube.. me to.. same with the MFG.. great for one boat.. now make MANY! And pay your bud “jim” or whoever do them for ya.. tell me what you get.. I bet at the end of the day Friday, Jim is wishing he has a tolerance to set the alignment. (say.. shaft not touching the side of the stuffing tube) as it exits the cable coupler. Remember winning them all!

ROCK ON

Again feel free to ask questions.

Grimracer

Boatman
11-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow! sweet. Ask a question and get straight answers right from the source. Thank you Sir. I meant no harm in question and comment. I received a few boats with loose motors, leaking cooling, loose stuff tubes, and etc. I understand it is difficult to mass produce. I cant wait to order one.

Grimracer
11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks, anytime... let me know how you like the boat, I have a feeling your realy going to like it.

Grimracer

ice329
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
At 329 or 279 for a SV how can you beat that. You get all you need, so it needs to be personalized... Not everyone will be happy but then there are boats costing 6, 7, 9 hundred bucks they can get. Not stickin up for anyone but the SV is one hell of a boat for the money and I cant wait to see a op to grab a UL1, I am sure its gonna be awsome

Bill-SOCAL
11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I am excited about putting the UL-1 motor and ESC into my SV27!! Can't wait for those to be offered separately.

I've seen the UL-1 up close and personal and it is a really nice boat out of the box. People will naturally want to do their own tweaks with it, but from what I've seen they are not required. Overall between the SV27 and UL-1 I think AquaCraft has nailed it!!

H&MWill
11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I am extremely happy with both my SV's. I cant wait to get the UL-1! My birthday is in January I'll have to give the wife a subtle hint. LOL

ice329
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Question, I have a Octura 1742-3 prop here. It dont work with anythiing I have. Will it work on the UL1. If yes then I will keep it around.

Grimracer
12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
1700 series props were developed for OB hydroplane racing. You are going to have to remove some lift to make it work well.. Typically high lift props (unless moded) are hard to make work on full body hydros.

Grim

planezero
12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I noticed the UL-1 has a three channel receiver.
Is the 3rd channel for that servo which pops open the hood :w00t:
Or maybe I can deploy that airbag to prevent what happened to my SV...

Seriously, any way to use that 3rd channel with another transmitter or simple mod to the transmitter ?

Fluid
12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
The photos of the Tactic 2.4GHz radio I've seen say "2-channel radio control system" on the front of the transmitter. I understand that no other transmitter will work with the Tactic receivers. It might be cool if there was an option for a 3rd channel, but frankly for a race boat there is no need for more than two. Too much happening in a race to find the 3rd channel button....

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-radio-lg.jpg

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
... but frankly for a race boat there is no need for more than two. Too much happening in a race to find the 3rd channel button....

Maybe for a tunnel-tab style trim control??? Though, those that I've seen are actually mixed into the rudder control...

My buddy used his 3rd channel to turn on and off his ESC and motor cooling fans, hooking it to a tiny little 8A ESC...

Grimracer
12-10-2008, 06:24 PM
PlaneZero.. are you somewhat new to RC.. GOOD DEAL FOR SURE.. you are going to have a blast.. ROCK ON!!!

Reason I ask is for years not radio MFGs will some times build extra channels in to the RXs and sell just one.. or a few kinds...It allows us to add goodies to a boat or car package at the drop of a hat.

The TX that comes with the UL-1 is a 2 channel.. the RX a 3 channel.. in time we will likely offer applications for that RX.

Having said that Jay is 100% right.. unless its a needle.. no need in a FE boat, at least not for most racing.

Grim

egneg
12-10-2008, 06:53 PM
The 3rd channel is used to ignite the Estes rocket engine when you are in the home stretch.

planezero
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Mike, other than enjoying your SV27 for the last two years, the last transmitter I bought was a Robbe "economic" somewhere in the 80's :biggrin:
So, I am a new old guy to RC stuff.
I ordered a yellow UL-1 today with OSE and am sure I'll love it !

Seeing there was a 3 channel receiver I ventured to guess there would be a 3 channel transmitter also. Sometimes manufacturers use the same circuit printboards for different products and was asking if maybe this could easily be modded to use the 3rd channel.

Another (probably noob) question, how does this system work with multiple boats, do you need different frequency oscillators like in a 'normal' TX, or does it sort out different frequencies automagically when you arm it ?

Thanks for your answers...

planezero
12-10-2008, 07:22 PM
The 3rd channel is used to ignite the Estes rocket engine when you are in the home stretch.

I found that hilarious ! :bounce:
I'm not sure that would be legal in any boat class, but well worth the try!

alvinsmith75
12-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Grim great job!!!
Being this is a tech. question thread, How do I stop the teflon liner from spinning with the flexcable? Have you seen this before or is it normal?
Thanks in advance,
Alvin

Fluid
12-11-2008, 06:37 PM
The teflon tube should not spin within the brass stuffing tube. In my experience (not with the SV) if the cable is properly lubed the teflon won't spin, but I know that it happens. What some do is to extend the teflon liner about 1/4" into the boat and stretch a short length of silicon fuel tubing over both the teflon and the brass stuffing tube. This provides enough grip to keep the teflon in place.

There are probably other options too, but this is one reason I usually recommend not using the teflon, just running the cable in a brass tube (the next size smaller than the main stuffing tube). Ive been doing this in all my own boats for over a decade and have never worn out the brass tube with either wire or flex cable - but I do use good lubes and remove my driveline after every day of use.

However, for a consumer product the teflon liner makes perfect sense. I'll probably keep the teflon liner in my UL-1 unless it becomes a problem.

ZarkSniper
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
First off...really great looking boat:thumbup1:

ok, newbie question

Of the 3 available optional props...which one is best? Or more to point, what are the differences?

Thanks

Grimracer
12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Alvin,

I doubt the teflon is spinning with the boat underway.. You will see the Teflon scoot up to the coupler but that does not mean its spinning..

One thing I have done on my race boats is cut a length of brass tube (in this case 7/32") about 3/8" long. Cut the liner short enough to allow the new length of brass to slip in. Slip it in from the coupler side and tack solder in place.

Having said this...

Teflon is VERY hard to extrude as a tube. We have seen and have had teflon "out of spec" regarding fit into the brass tube. It also shrinks and swells ALLOT regarding temperatures.

More info then most of us EVER NEED.. Sorry

Zark,

The three blade 40X52 is going to provide the least amount of lift, be easy to launch and a great all around prop
The 38mm prop is a great heat racing prop. Just the right amount of lift and great handing in race water. (not the fastest.. again,.. Heat racing prop)
The new cleaver 3 blade is very FAST.. its going to stress your batteries to the limit. If you want to rock the house this is the prop. You better know your setups before using this prop to any extent.

ROCK ON ALL!

Grimracer

Grimracer
12-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Jay.. Thanks for all your help on the board.. With all my design and development time on the bench I do not always get the chance to help out around here.

Guys.. please.. when Jay posts take the time to read and comprehend.. He has tons of time RC boating and is a very valuable asset to us all.

Thanks again Jay!

Grimracer

Rusty Jarrett
03-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I have a new UL1 and would like to swap out the radio system so I can use my 3PK which has the Spektrum module.
Will the stock ESC accept this change if I replace the stock reciever with an SR3000?

Thanks

Rusty Jarrett

JimClark
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
should work just fine

Rusty Jarrett
03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks Jim,

I just made the swap and the ESC beeps once when I plug in the second battery, but it is not powering the reciever, so I cannot bind it. Any Suggestions?

JimClark
03-13-2009, 11:55 PM
reciever battery?

Rusty Jarrett
03-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Got in a hurry, and did not put a battery in the system. All of my electric cars run BEC, only my nitro cars have a battery.

Sorry to waste your time.

JimClark
03-14-2009, 12:14 AM
not a wast of time at all

Rusty Jarrett
03-14-2009, 09:53 AM
It is a BEC system. Has anyone changed a UL1 to Spektrum?
Any help is very much appreciated.

skibo2
03-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Rusty, set your throttle trim at 0 (dead center) and then advance or retard the throttle trim until the system binds.

AndyKunz
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I think what he means is, get your throttle in the right position, THEN bind.

The reason is that if you lose signal the receiver puts the throttle in the state it had when you did the bind. If the ESC is not off, the motor will continue to run.

Do yourself a favor and test this by

1) Bind with the throttle in the right position
2) Power down both RX and TX.
3) Remove the binding plug (or release the bind button).
4) Power up the tx, then the rx. Wait until they connect.
5) Test the throttle operation. If it works properly, then while the motor is running
6) Turn off the tx.

The motor should shut down. If it doesn't, you need to trim your throttle down and rebind.

Andy

Rusty Jarrett
03-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Andy,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your knowledge on the boat.

Yet, I am not using the 2.4 that came with the kit.

I want to install a Spektrum system in the UL1 so I can use the same Futaba 3PK I use for everything I own.

With the Spektrum receiver wired to the servo and the esc when you plug in the second battery there is one beep, one flash on the receiver and then no power to the system so you can bind it per Spektrum instructions.

I have no problem installing this system in my cars. This is a first for me. I can't be the first one wanting to upgrade the radio in this boat.

skibo2
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Rusty, I might have misled you on my previous post using the term bind. I was correct in assuming you are familiar with how to bind the 3pk's tx and rx which looks like you are. The reason you are only getting one beep from the ESC in the UL-1 is the throtltle trim must be in the right position on the transmitter before the ESC will program. The ESC requires the throttle trim be at 0 or center in order for the system to program. I found that I had to advance my throttle trim 2 clicks and then the ESC programed perfectly. You may find that you will have to advance further or maybe even retard the trim to get it to program as I would believe every ESC may be a little off more or less. Is your 3pk the 2.4 ghz FASST system or the 75 hmz system? Mine is the the 2.4 system and it worked fine but I went back to the Tactic radio as I like the no antenna receiver. I only tried the 3pk to see if it would work as a test to see if it would work. Sorry for the confusion.

skibo2
03-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Rusty

Here is another thought. Does the system program okay with the Tactic radio? Does the stering work when you get the one beep when using the 3pk? If the Tactic will not program and the stering will not work when using the 3pk then I suggest you check the bec circuit in the ESC. I had a problem with my ESC and The BEC circuit and Aquacraft replaced the ESC. To check the BEC, unplug the wire gong to channel 2 at the receiver and then plug in a battery battery receiver pack into the battery connection on the receiver. You won't have any control of the ESC but you will have steering. If the steering works then it is the BEC circuit in the ESC that is not working.

Rusty Jarrett
03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I sincerely appreciate the help. I repeated the same steps today I did each time before and all of a sudden it fired up and the binding worked with the Spektrum receiver and the 3PK. Strange, but so far it works.

Now, if the rain will lighten up I can hit the pond.

Thanks again for the assistance,

Rusty Jarrett