PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing

urbs00007
08-07-2017, 05:00 AM
i have 2 hobbywing 180 v2's. how do I protect them against water damage? Take apart and corrosion -x ?

Peter A
08-07-2017, 03:57 PM
I have taken mine apart, coated the board with a spray on coating and reassembled. In the past I have just tried to use sealant to seal up the esc but that didn't work totally and a couple of times and they still got water in them. I cannot comment on corrosion x as it is rare to find in NZ, but it is often utilised by others here. The product I use is a protective lacquer, Contact SL made by Wurth. I have also coated my reciever boards with it. BTW I use HK/Flysky gear and the recievers are all the same and cheap, so when/if one does die it just gets binned.

Fluid
08-07-2017, 06:15 PM
The correct way to waterproof your electrical components is to make your boat waterproof! Some say that's impossible, but try telling that to me and my fellow club members. I spray my components with CorrosionX in case of an impact hull breach - sometimes - but usually not.

Spend more time on making your boat reliable before you worry about increasing speed.

Luck as a Constant
08-07-2017, 06:20 PM
The correct way to waterproof your electrical components is to make your boat waterproof! Some say that's impossible, but try telling that to me and my fellow club members. I spray my components with CorrosionX in case of an impact hull breach - sometimes - but usually not.

Spend more time on making your boat reliable before you worry about increasing speed.

^this.

bob horowitz
08-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Fluid,
I seem to be able to get my boats pretty waterproof. My only stumbling block seems to be water migrating up the stuffing tube. I use a fairly heavy waterproof grease, but I still seem to get water up the tube. Do you have any suggestions. It hasn't been too much of a problem, as I always waterproof my components with epoxy or Corrosion X, but it sure would be nice to to have a boat come in dry. If need be, I could measure the various flex shafts, stub shafts and stuffing tubes.
Thanks,
Bob

Fluid
08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
It is easy to seal the stuffing tube. Slip a piece of silicone tubing over the stuffing tube so that it extends past the end of the tube and just touches the cable. This keeps water out of the hull with no appreciable drag on the cable. Works very well, for almost free.

SORRY, the pics didn't upload correctly for some reason. I'll get some better ones later today. :sad:

jevmax
08-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Yes indeed. That works like.........a hose!

bob horowitz
08-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Fluid,
Thanks, piece of cake. I'll give it a try.
Bob

Fluid
08-08-2017, 06:09 PM
A much better photo, although a bit out of focus.

TheShaughnessy
08-09-2017, 02:48 AM
shrink tube the connection between the stuffing tube and your strut

CraigP
08-09-2017, 01:41 PM
I was still getting water in with shrink tubing. If I put a piece of silicone tubing, no water but the strut will drag more. Reading this, I'm going to try a hybrid approach: put heat shrink on it at the strut/tubing joint as mentioned above. Use a piece long enough to put silicone tubing on the heat shrink, but it will be up on the tube, out of the water. I have a sealed grease system, so I know when I get water in. If I keep that water out, I don't have to service the flex shaft for many runs. I don't lose grease out the back...