PDA

View Full Version : to build or to buy? question from a total newb lol.

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-27-2017, 09:33 PM
First off let me say, I love that I found a forum full of real deal boat guys with knowledge and experience! Not just buy a Spartan and be happy type of guys and gals. Not that anything is wrong with the Spartan just not my thing lol. Well here we go, when I say I'm green to boats I mean green!! Lol. I have been building and racing surface cars for years so I'm sorta comfortable building. Just don't think I'm ready for scratch hull building yet. I do have sort of a limited budget, I'd like to stay 5-600 for a first boat. My question is should I go rtr type boat or start with a bare hull? I'm partial to the latter so I'd just like to pick some brains about hull choices, I'm leaning towards cat or v about 30-35". What are some opinions on reasonable hulls and power plants that won't break the bank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Heck, I just like to talk about anything rc in general lol. So thanks again and please don't be too rough on me, I didn't have much luck with the search bar lol.

NativePaul
07-28-2017, 03:54 AM
It sounds like you should buy a hull and fit it out yourself, much more satisfying than just buying a RTR, and yet much less daunting than building a boat for a first timer (though it can be done).

Other than that, sorry but I am not going to answer your questions, we need some more information from you first.

As you have been running surface for a while is it safe to assume you still have a radio? How about a charger?

What do you want out of the boat? Are scale looks important to you or just performance? Do you want to run for fun at a mixture of speeds, do you want to race or build with a possibility of racing in mind for the future? Do you want to go fast in a straight line at the expense of cornering? How much run time do you want, or can live with (boats dull high current constantly unlike cars, so you have to sacrifice speed for runtime).

How big do you want? I know you said 30-36", but while it is not a hard and fast rule, generally a boat about 30" would run on 4s and a 36" boat would run on 6s.

Are there other boaters at your local lake or at a lake with traveling distance? If so what are they running, even if it is not proper racing with buoys marking a course, running with other makes thing a lot more fun than solo.

Given the above information we can start giving you recommendations, but you will still have to decide between cat and V at some point.

martin
07-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Take a look at the HK Pursuit 32" mono artr boat, this is regarded as a fabulous performing boat for a newbie at a very good price. You will have a very good running boat that will grip your interest for a first boat, rather than get disillusioned with building a first boat that dosnt perform as you would like it to. Once you get an idea of what works you can then venture into either modding you rtr or building from hull up.

srislash
07-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Another question I will pose in the evaluation that Paul stated was what have you got on hand for usable batteries? This is another place that the pocket book takes a hit so if something can be put to use it would help. Looking for mah capacity and C rating.
+1 on the Pursuit as Martin said for a start.

Shawn

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Yeah I guess I left some vital info out. I do still have spektrum radio gear and spare recievers on hand. Also have 6 smc 5000 50c 3s batteries and a charger on hand. As for what I want out of the boat is mainly a decently quick fun run type boat. A good mix of speed and decent handling would be good, although I'd mainly be running straights at speed. As for local groups there really aren't any, but a few of us at the local hobby shop are all getting boats together and are gonna meet up at local spots to play. They'll mainly be running traxxas and proboat as that's mainly what the shop carries. I just like to be the odd man out with something a little different lol. Thanks for the advise guys, guess now I just have to decide mono or cat. My heart wants a catamaran but my mind is saying mono is probably a better first boat lol.

Prodrvr
07-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Get RTR all day. You can learn a lot from it. Get one, maybe two different style RTR's, learn them, mod them, then move on to getting bare hulls and building them yourself. At least you have a realistic budget.

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Yeah believe me I've been building long enough to know what a realistic budget should be lol. Obviously it can go waaaaaay higher but I feel like that's a decent starting point. At that price I can go pick up a voracity tomorrow if I wanna get on the water quick lol. But I like the idea of building but I guess I could look into rtr boats a little more.

Flying Scotsman
07-28-2017, 11:59 AM
You will get way more satisfaction out of building you own, but after saying that, there is a lot to learn...... what motors, batteries, props, hardware, etc. and then positioning of those components in the hull. I started off with a very modest RTR and learnt a lot and with the help of many on the old RRR forum I proceeded to hone my skills. Many of those veterans are present on this forum along with many other informed members.
I would suggest that an RTR would be your best choice at first, but if you really study some build threads on this site you may wish to go the build your own route.

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Yeah I really like the idea of building one. That's my favorite part of the hobby and have built custom rc drag cars for a while now. I may start with a good rtr type boat and work my way into building unless I just wait and research a good hull to start with.

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-28-2017, 12:44 PM
The other thing beneficial to building is it breaks down the cost over a few months lol. Not all in one hit. I take my time on builds lol.

kfxguy
07-28-2017, 01:06 PM
My vote is buy one custom built. Preferably used, but something nicely built. Then you examine it. Learn how it's built. Read some build threads. Then build you another and learn from that. That's how I started. I bought a boat build by someone and learned from that and this forum. The way an rtr is build isn't as beefy or nice as a custom boat. Not knocking eyes because I still like them but they most always need modifications to get them to a decent play level for me. Speed runs, well I can't think of any rtr hull I'd trust going very fast and surviving a hard flip.

2-BROKE-2-BE-FAST
07-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Good point man guess I'll start surfing the f/s threads. Might get lucky and find something nice for the money. It'll be a way for me to get to the water quicker. Then when I sell some of my cars I'll build one. Maybe get crazy with that one lol.

kfxguy
07-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Good point man guess I'll start surfing the f/s threads. Might get lucky and find something nice for the money. It'll be a way for me to get to the water quicker. Then when I sell some of my cars I'll build one. Maybe get crazy with that one lol.

I may have a 32" cat that I could sell you. Right now it's built with no electronics. I could set it up for you to if you wanted. I went to post it for sale a week or two ago but just didn't do it. If your interested pm me.