PDA

View Full Version : Break away rudder conversion

DBJr
07-03-2017, 12:54 AM
I was just wondering if it is possible to convert a rudder assembly into a break away rudder assembly by replacing the steel retainer pin with a piece of brass, styrene rod etc.

The rudder assembly in question is to a Pro Boat Blackjack 24. Rather than a shear away brass, nylon bolt/screw, it uses a steel pin and grub screw to secure it into the mounting bracket which obviously has no give and results in cracked transoms upon impact with objects in the water. Awhile back I struck something in the water at about 40 MPH which cracked the transom wide open as the stock rudder assembly is not a break away unit.

After that, I bought a new hull and transferred everything over and yesterday I hit something but was going much slower this time but due to a non break away unit, there were still some small cracks in the transom that were easily repairable.

I did get a piece of plastic antenna tube to fit but since this is hollow, I don't think it will be quite rigid enough. I just don't want to have to replace hulls just by striking unseen objects in the water. These hulls are not cheap at about $60 each.

rol243
07-03-2017, 01:33 AM
does the rudder bracket have 2 holding bolts ? you can cut out the bottom hole so the rudder can pop out of the cut out hole . its like an elongated hole with the end open so the bolt can slide right out . hope you can understand what i am meaning there.

DBJr
07-03-2017, 01:39 AM
https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/horizonhobby/PRB281011_a0?wid=1400&hei=778

Here is the rudder assembly in question.

rol243
07-03-2017, 02:41 AM
how about you cut the rudder bracket in half then over lap the 2 halves about 1/2 an inch then drill a hole through both and fit a bolt. if any impact the rudder will swing up and not cause any damage to the transom etc. by doing this cut your only bringing the rudder in closer to the transom by about 1/2 an inch. i would keep the strong steel pin in the rudder as it needs strength with no slop.

ray schrauwen
07-03-2017, 06:53 PM
how about you cut the rudder bracket in half then over lap the 2 halves about 1/2 an inch then drill a hole through both and fit a bolt. if any impact the rudder will swing up and not cause any damage to the transom etc. by doing this cut your only bringing the rudder in closer to the transom by about 1/2 an inch. i would keep the strong steel pin in the rudder as it needs strength with no slop.

This is what I would do above EXCEPT, I would use an extra piece of aluminum to bolt to mount so the distance away from the transom is same as stock so you don't change the handling of the boat.

It may turn too quickly if shortened.