PDA

View Full Version : Radtek 45 steering issues

RuntheraceAMC
06-28-2017, 09:04 PM
I just finished a build of my Radtek 45 cat. Set up with SF240's and twin TP 4060 1950's

I took it out today for the first time and could not get my steering issues sorted out. The boat wanders in one direction or the other. The rudder won't go straight when I release the wheel. If I start with it dead straight it eventually turns.

I am using a low profile servo mounted vertically with a dual arm servo horn and push/ pull set up.

During my build I noticed the rods and linkage to the steering were stiff so I disassembled and rebuilt it. I even changed the cables to a smaller cable to allow it to travel more freely. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Will attach pick shortly as soon as I get back from the lake.

RuntheraceAMC
06-28-2017, 09:45 PM
I just finished a build of my Radtek 45 cat. Set up with SF240's and twin TP 4060 1950's

I took it out today for the first time and could not get my steering issues sorted out. The boat wanders in one direction or the other. The rudder won't go straight when I release the wheel. If I start with it dead straight it eventually turns.

I am using a low profile servo mounted vertically with a dual arm servo horn and push/ pull set up.

During my build I noticed the rods and linkage to the steering were stiff so I disassembled and rebuilt it. I even changed the cables to a smaller cable to allow it to travel more freely. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Will attach pick shortly as soon as I get back from the lake.

Ok. I can't figure out how to post pics. Has someone experienced this steering issue before? Please help!

Bigford
06-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Take your pic and up load it on photobucket.
Copy the image link on p-bucket and paste it here

RuntheraceAMC
06-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Take your pic and up load it on photobucket.
Copy the image link on p-bucket and paste it here

I don't know what that is

RuntheraceAMC
06-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Figured it out

http://rs1383.pbsrc.com/albums/ah314/Andrew_Colburn/IMG_5043_zpsm16io0gx.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Silver954
06-29-2017, 12:51 AM
I went thru the same route using the dummy hydraulic arms and they look cool, but their function is terrible. The angles just don't add up, so you end up with limited steering angle and no accurate return to neutral. I think if the rudder mount of the hull went longer back, it would work better.
I wanted speed so that set up was scraped and holes filled with gel coat. Went with regular rod and boot and I have never looked back, the functionality just can't be beat. I get maximum steering angle when needed and the rudder always returns to neutral with high accuracy.

RuntheraceAMC
06-29-2017, 01:21 AM
That is my thinking as well but it's a disappointing answer. I want to find a way for good looks and functionality to prevail

FE Frank
06-29-2017, 08:40 AM
Are the steering cable housings held in place with anything? Can't tell from the pic.
If there not they need to be. I have my housings glued to the hull at the transom with a little bit of glue.
Not a lot just enough to hold them in place out back. At the servo I also have them held in place with an aluminum block with some set screws. That set up is working great for me it has no slop and rudder returns to center.
Hope this helps.
Frank

FE Frank
06-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Sorry can't figure out how to rotate the pic

RuntheraceAMC
06-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Thanks frank. I'll try that. I also realize that my servo only had 60oz of torque so I upgraded to a high voltage spectrum 175 oz low profile servo and set up my bec to run if of 3s. That may help it return to center but I am going to try that aluminum plate.

nata2run
06-29-2017, 09:19 PM
your hydraulic arms are way too far apart, you will have all sort of grinding issues, and the small servo dont have the torque to pull. you need to brint the hydraulics closer

dasboata
06-29-2017, 09:25 PM
soft cables are just NG try the brass plated Sullivan and keep as much sheath as possible I can send you pics if you cant find them but cables need to be stiff not the soft galvanized cables but the brass looking ones

Silver954
06-29-2017, 09:27 PM
your hydraulic arms are way too far apart, you will have all sort of grinding issues, and the small servo dont have the torque to pull. you need to brint the hydraulics closer

That's true but the radtek hull has a short transom rudder mount that's where the problem starts, you would have to shorten the hydraulic arms otherwise there is no range of movement

RuntheraceAMC
06-30-2017, 04:53 AM
Exactly my problem. Gonna try this be servo and see how it goes

RuntheraceAMC
06-30-2017, 04:56 AM
soft cables are just NG try the brass plated Sullivan and keep as much sheath as possible I can send you pics if you cant find them but cables need to be stiff not the soft galvanized cables but the brass looking ones

Dasboata,

Got the props. They are great. Except for the gash in my knee when the boat slipped while I was working on it. 😉 I'll buy some 1916's and 2015's too.