PDA

View Full Version : A micro ESC from a servo

Diegoboy
11-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I just wanted to share something that just came to me. Last year while on vacation in the philippines, my sister-in-law gave me a model Bangka boat (http://img3.travelblog.org/Photos/37209/153030/t/1097519-iisang-bangka-tayo-0.jpg).
I had to convert it to RC, but I needed a low voltage, tiny ESC. I searched the web, and even considered designing a circuit of my own. Then it hit me, a Servo is a tiny bi-directional motor controller. :doh:
I took the circuit board out of the servo, de-soldered the motor from the board, and re-soldered it with some wire leads. I set the potentiometer to neutral, and a tiny Fwd/Rev ESC is what I now have. I can't be the first to think of this, because it's too easy!
Just thought I'd share.
Here's a pic of my Bangka

NativePaul
11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
quite a few people here convert the little tamiya/revell/airfix style static plastic kits to RC using the guts from a pair of cheap std size servos (or donated servos with stripped gears from a flying club) with a mixer for diferential steering micro RX and small 4 cell pack, apparently cheap std servos are best as mini will have too much KV for the scale prop.

Meniscus
11-19-2008, 07:56 AM
(thinking "what else will Diego come up with during vacation")

glasses?