PDA

View Full Version : snow tires rule

Eyekandyboats
11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
they really do.
saved my life tonight.
i saw two fords fall off the road right in front of me as well as a big rig side down the hill behind me.
a police cruiser in the ditch. a tow truck ontop of a F150
and the kicker....... some idiot passed me while i was going 40 in a 80 zone.... he passed me and lane changed into the ditch... he was in a Honda pilot.
and me ... nice and safe ontop of the road with my hankook winter tires mounted on 94 Cadillac eldo rims on my 2001 DTS.
pics will come tomorrow.
looks very funny but in a seriously OLD person kind of way!

AndyKunz
11-18-2008, 10:14 PM
You are SO right!

There was one time I had to drive (normally) 4 hours from NJ to MD in a blizzard (the Blizzard of 95 or 96). I saw several cops in their SUV's on their sides and tops :D and I just cruised on down in my VW Rabbit. Took 8 hours, but I got there w/o a problem. In places I followed rigs with the snow as high as the trailer, and their mirrors knocking chunks in the snow along the side of the snow canyons.

I was REALLY glad I had a new set of sneakers on it!

Andy

Eyekandyboats
11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
no kidding Andy!
people just dont undertand
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/Picture918.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/Picture920.jpg

Ocean Racer
11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Well the closest thing here in San Diego to snow is frost on the grass and that rarely happens hahaha
plus it only happens on those cold "winter" mornings here

calcagno45
11-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm in Ocean Racer's boat. We dont have those conditions here in South Louisiana.... And I love it!! However we still have plenty of people in ditches, river, on their sides and tops.... d@mn drunks.

Ocean Racer
11-20-2008, 12:12 AM
The only time someone flips here is when they play stupid with a car and when it rains hard.

AndyKunz
11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
no kidding Andy!
people just dont undertand
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/Picture918.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/Picture920.jpg

I wonder if they can figure out why you backed the car into the driveway!

Last year we had a good snow, and the folks a couple doors down from me (they were from Bergen County, didn't know that snow was white) got both their cars stuck IN THE DRIVEWAY. I had to shovel them out so they could go to work. I parked my car in the street in downstream of them so I didn't have to be behind them...

Andy

wf6h
11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
What the heck is that white stuff in the picture???

Dr. Jet
11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
What the heck is that white stuff in the picture???

I have no idea. :noidea: Never seen it before.:rofl:

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I have no idea. :noidea: Never seen it before.:rofl:

Me neither:confused: Around here snow tires just create alot of unwanted noise.:biggrin:

egneg
11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Snow tires ... don't they melt when it gets warm?

Dr. Jet
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Now THAT'S funny! :roflol:

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
if you were trying to be smart, you didnt do a very good job
YES snow tires will melt and burn in the warm weather.
it is a uber soft compound and when its -10 F out the tires are still as plyable and soft as they are when it 30 deg.
you take a good P zero or a toyo summer tires in 0 deg let alone -10 and they are harder then a rock.
snow tires will wear out / melt/ or burn off so quick in summer like weather.

i have some P zero's on my eldo you see in the garage. if i took that out it would just slide right down the driveway.
they are 245/50Z18 tires and a uber hard compound. no good for winter or cold weather

Meniscus
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
LOL, then you have a puddle to run in! (looking for the bathtub toy with the little air BL in it)

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 05:25 PM
uber hard compound.

Is that one of the new space age polymers??;):biggrin:

Doug
PS That was funny egneg

egneg
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Yea - what the heck is uber?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6TnZj771o

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
its a adverb.
uber like amazing, cool, wicked, coolio

Flying Scotsman
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
its a adverb.
uber like amazing, cool, wicked, coolio

Taylor, cool your jets.
There is no doubt that snow tyres are preferred for our climate on all 4 wheels. The advent of all season tyres was the worst mistake by the tyre industry. The consumer was duped into a false sense of security. A rear wheel drive vehicle is still a handfull in snowy and icy conditions even with 4 snow tyres.

Douggie

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
It does makes sense however that in the summer time you would want "cool, wicked, coolio" tires on your Caddy.
I would think it would pull some attention away from the whole "blue haired" thing.:roflol::roflol:;)

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Huh? i'm cool. just having a bit of me and Mary timehttp://www.msnemotions.org/emoticons/uploads/bzzz.jpg

Taylor, cool your jets.
There is no doubt that snow tyres are preferred for our climate on all 4 wheels. The advent of all season tyres was the worst mistake by the tyre industry. The consumer was duped into a false sense of security. A rear wheel drive vehicle is still a handfull in snowy and icy conditions even with 4 snow tyres.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
11-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Now, I am an old fart but what the heck is Mary time?

Douggie

Dave182
11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
ummmm ummmmm ummmmm..........yeah...ok...sure....Is there a head shrink we can call for this topic hehehehehehe !!!!!!!!!!!

egneg
11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Could "mary time" be anything like "mary jane"?

BTW I don't see how you can call that snow (maybe a heavy frost) ... it barely covers the grass! Snow is at least a foot deep with drifts of 3-4 feet - snow is when you can't find your car in the morning!

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
forgive me. wqhats blue haird thing are we talking aboot?

It does makes sense however that in the summer time you would want "cool, wicked, coolio" tires on your Caddy.
I would think it would pull some attention away from the whole "blue haired" thing.:roflol::roflol:;)

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/IMG_2415.jpg
again.. my eldorado covered... it was outside for about 2 weeks . i was needing the garage
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/eyekandy19/IMG_2414.jpg

Could "mary time" be anything like "mary jane"?

BTW I don't see how you can call that snow (maybe a heavy frost) ... it barely covers the grass! Snow is at least a foot deep with drifts of 3-4 feet - snow is when you can't find your car in the morning!

Flying Scotsman
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Taylor, smarten up!
Douggie

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
forgive me. wqhats blue haird thing are we talking aboot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rinse :ohmy:

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
urg sorry Doug i must be missing something.
the link doesn't work. but that is probably meant to not work
eh oh well.

EDIT... yes it does i just keept clicking on another link and it kept showing error.... all fixed

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:16 PM
sorry Flying scotsman. i would like you to not participate in my thread please.
Telling me to settle down when there is no reason too. and then telling me to smarten up! for some unseen reason isnt needed

Taylor, smarten up!
Douggie

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
OMG... HAHAHAHA DOUG that is funny.... was doing some google searches on it.
Ahahaha. but i am totally the opposite of old!

egneg
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I see that you are one of those guys with a snow blower (from the tracks). I grew up shoveling the $hit just to have the plow come by!

Flying Scotsman
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Taylor, the link does work, You may have a spybot problem

Douggie

Eyekandyboats
11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I see that you are one of those guys with a snow blower (from the tracks). I grew up shoveling the $hit just to have the plow come by!
long story about the snowblower.
Okay as most of you know i am quite young. anyway we moved to this house when i was 7 to downsize .. our old house we had a tractor to do the driveway.
any way, well i was 7 so i did the drive way by hand with my parents help.
when i was 12 my elderly neighbors across the street asked me to snow blow there drive way each year if they bought a snow blower... so they did
anyway. when ever there was a snow fall i would go over there ( i had there garage door opener) and blow there drive way and do mine.
well recently this year Ted( neighbor) had surgery on his heart and was in intensive care and is unable to live in the house any more. while Elsie( wife) stayed there until they found a care facility where you could park a car ( wife could drive)
well while they were moving there stuff they gave me the blower because i did there drive way all the time
well they have since moved and this will be the first year when i don't have to do there driveway.
so that is how i got a snow blower.
if it wasn't for that i would still be shoveling.

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I grew up shoveling the $hit just to have the plow come by!

Me too, I was raised in Lapeer Michigan. I don't miss it a bit!!!!:cool:

Doug

Flying Scotsman
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
sorry Flying scotsman. i would like you to not participate in my thread please.
Telling me to settle down when there is no reason too. and then telling me to smarten up! for some unseen reason isnt needed

I am so SORRY that I participated in your thread. I was referring to some other matters in your thread. As you mentioned before on another thread this is a site to state your beliefs.

Douggie

Doug Smock
11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
OMG... HAHAHAHA DOUG that is funny.... was doing some google searches on it.
Ahahaha. but i am totally the opposite of old!

Man, you made me work hard for this one.

Cadillac

The quintessential "little old lady" car.:bounce:;)

Doug

Ocean Racer
11-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Hey EYECANDY is that your little red shoes infront of your eldorado? Im talking about the last picture you posted on the 1st page.

Steven Vaccaro
11-21-2008, 07:17 AM
I liked the snow tire melting joke!!! LoL

Taylor we may have more in common than I thought. In high-school I found a great deal on a 1981 Eldorado. The only problem was it was cream colored! I dealt with it. It looked like a hard top version of this car in lite cream color. Yuk!

.http://www.mcsmk8.com/81-ELDO/81CAD-05.JPG

TRUCKPULL
11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I liked the snow tire melting joke!!! LoL

Taylor we may have more in common than I thought. In high-school I found a great deal on a 1981 Eldorado. The only problem was it was cream colored! I dealt with it. It looked like a hard top version of this car in lite cream color. Yuk!

.http://www.mcsmk8.com/81-ELDO/81CAD-05.JPG

Now that is nice. Do you still have it??

Larry

Steven Vaccaro
11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I wish I had it. I would like to get a black convertible some day.

Eyekandyboats
11-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Haha. yes i own two Cadillac and a Toyota. ..... not what a heap of garbage that is.
its my sisters. it is a yaris and she got the extended warranty. and let me tell you.
it spends more time in the air then on the road.
and it JUST turned over 40K.

Hey EYECANDY is that your little red shoes infront of your eldorado? Im talking about the last picture you posted on the 1st page.

Yep that eldo in there was my first car. it is in Mint shape but was not big enough for me.. so i am storing it .... so that when people say man i wish i kept that... I want to say. Yep i still have it.
i love my eldo. I am planing on taking it to COACHBUILDERS out in Cali to get a vert. top done to it in a couple years. i will be keeping it for a long time.

as for your 81 eldo.... my mother had that exact same car only red convertible.

Flying Scotsman
11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Interesting on the Toyota, in the UK. Toyota has a bad reputation and do not keep their value. In North America the reverse...go figure.

Douggie

Doug Smock
11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Don't let this happen to you. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj_g-kYAZxw

Eyekandyboats
11-21-2008, 11:47 PM
thanks Doug.. actually that is a commercial here in Canada about snow tires! LOL