PDA

View Full Version : The North American Auto Industry

Flying Scotsman
11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
I am watching much Ado about Nothing in regards to the auto industry. Yes, many jobs will be lost and the hardships on the average Joe will be hard. Why not spend the money in retraining of the those most affected...Not to prop up companies that have benn mismanaged.
I was brought up in Glasgow, Scotland and I viewed the demise of the ship building and steel industry during the 1960's to other nations that offered probably a better product at a cheaper price. Glasgow and Edinburgh still survive today with a high tech industry
This is the global economy.

Douggie

Bill-SOCAL
11-17-2008, 06:43 PM
What irritates me is the UAW is not willing to budge on their contracts to give the auto companies some breathing room Yet these people expect us, the taxpayers, to bail out the Big 3 and save their jobs because they think we are too frightened to let these companies fail.

Unions were a good idea when kids were working 20 hour days, but now all they exist for are to enrich their leadership at the expense of everything and everyone else.

AndyKunz
11-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Gee, Bill, unions are exactly what the Dems are known for supporting. You aren't turning conservative on us, are you :)

You're right, Doug. Used to be we needed Chrysler to build tanks, so Iacocca got some help (not a freebie). I think Detroit is just going to have to get over it and find something else to make. It's sad, but that's why EDUCATION is so important. It makes you more versatile when these things happen.

And they will happen.

Again.

And again.

And again.

Andy

JimClark
11-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Finally somehting we can agree on Bill
Well Said:tiphat:

What irritates me is the UAW is not willing to budge on their contracts to give the auto companies some breathing room Yet these people expect us, the taxpayers, to bail out the Big 3 and save their jobs because they think we are too frightened to let these companies fail.

Unions were a good idea when kids were working 20 hour days, but now all they exist for are to enrich their leadership at the expense of everything and everyone else.

rockwerks
11-17-2008, 10:33 PM

an economics professor in a major college in AZ has studied inflation in relation to major union strikes and contracts. There is a direct correlation, all of us pay for UAW workers that make 71.00 and hour to do what a chimp can do.

75% of our high cost of living has a direct relation to inflated wages caused by unions.

Frankly all big 3 need to file for bankruptcy which would make the UAW contracts null and void and clean house. US Toyota workers make 47.00 and hour to do the same job and turn out a better product than GM worker at 71.00 and hour.

I can see helping the companies retool to compete in small car markets, for a price

Steven Vaccaro
11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Isnt Chrysler owed by a German company?

I'm also with letting the fail.

Bill-SOCAL
11-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Not any more. Daimler Benz sold their interest to an investment group about 18 months ago.

JimClark
11-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Good timing on Daimler Benz part

Flying Scotsman
11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Interesting points. In Canada the "big" 3 are also asking for a government bailout. This after they have received tax breaks to provide an illusion that their plants will remain open and provide jobs. If I was a foreign manufacturer I would ask for the same concessions or I will take my buisness somewhere else. Once you open your wallet to one, all will ask for the same concessions.

Douggie