PDA

View Full Version : What size servo for a Zonda? Is a high torque servo needed?

hughb
05-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

I have a Zonda that I'll be converting to have a more scale looking push-pull cable rudder setup. This means i will need to have the servo standing up. My question is will a normal (Futaba S3003) size servo fit standing up? I do not have the boat on me to measure, but I remember there is not too much space height wise. What size servos have you other guys used when running them stood up?

Also Is a high torque servo needed? If so, what should it be rated at?

Prodrvr
05-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Don't even think on using that servo! It's not even close to enough torque. You should use at least a 200oz servo. As far as the servo being able to stand up, you might have to notch out the electronics plate to have it where it needs to be. Or, you can go with a low profile servo.

hughb
05-12-2017, 02:48 AM
Thankyou. I was concerned whether a standard servo would suffice when trying to move a rudder against the water flow at high speed.

srislash
05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Thankyou. I was concerned whether a standard servo would suffice when trying to move a rudder against the water flow at high speed.
I use a Savox 125 oz in servo. Been four years and humming right along.
Shawn

Prodrvr
05-13-2017, 06:55 AM
I commented on the S3003 because it's just too weak on a fast boat. Srislash- are you running this Zonda with a 125oz. servo?

srislash
05-13-2017, 08:14 AM
I commented on the S3003 because it's just too weak on a fast boat. Srislash- are you running this Zonda with a 125oz. servo?
Actually a Fantasm but same hull. You do have to watch the amp draw on the higher torque servos. Most ESC's are lucky to supply 3 amps to the Rx.

But you are totally correct on the S3003 would not likely do the job. And especially for long with the poor gears.

hughb
05-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Thankyou for the responses. Shawn I saw your build log and noticed the Savox servo in one of the photos. Looks like I'll need the same.

Prodrvr
05-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Actually a Fantasm but same hull. You do have to watch the amp draw on the higher torque servos. Most ESC's are lucky to supply 3 amps to the Rx.

But you are totally correct on the S3003 would not likely do the job. And especially for long with the poor gears.

I hear you on the esc, which is why I never power the Rx/servo with it. I run a separate life battery for that job.

grsboats
05-13-2017, 06:54 PM
In fact the Futaba 3003 is a popular servo used for nitro/Gas boats mainly for the trotlle...there are very good servos on the market today but for the rudder even in a small boat torque is essencial and don't forget to get one with metal gear.