PDA

View Full Version : Proboat Zelos G 48" Cat Gas Powered!

Keagan-Z06
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Proboat seems to be dropping bombs the past few weeks. Something for the gas guys!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/48-quot;--zelos-g-catamaran--rtr-prb09004?clickpath=boats_rotator1_05112017

Erroneous
05-11-2017, 10:11 PM
They are on a good one.... My fingers are still crossed for a rtr 48" twin.

bigcam406
05-12-2017, 01:05 AM
lets hope the hulls are beefed up better than the previous gas cat

fweasel
05-12-2017, 10:22 AM
They've improved the strut design, that's for sure.

Yellow
05-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Fingers crossed for a 55" brushless DeepV!

bigcam406
05-17-2017, 12:55 AM
not a cat fan, but the more I look at this model, the more im liking it. love the paint scheme.

bigcam406
06-01-2017, 12:19 AM
just wondering what the HP rating is on the new 30cc engine that this boat is equipped with. I looked but couldn't find any specs on it.

Erroneous
06-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Ive seen heavily modded Zenoahs rated at 7-9hp.. Id guess this one is around 5-6.

andygoesfast
06-13-2017, 12:37 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AL9f7vFIB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/6AL9f7vFIB8

Video of my new Zelos g running!

I have a problem with it.. The clutch is slipping and horizon will only send me new shoes or I have to send the motor in and wait two weeks for them to look at it.. I am almost sure its not the shoes, there are worn now but I this there's a bigger problem. The boat has 2-3 tanks through it. it had the problem the whole time.. even during break in :( I am disappointed in the customer service at this point.. Its a new boat, I want it fixed before next weekend or a new boat before the week end. Accept for the clutch the boat is great! Anyone have a idea how I can run my boat again this weekend?

Yellow
06-13-2017, 10:01 PM
That engine is running "Fat" also known as rich. Time to lean it a little bit. My Zelos 36 twin would SMOKE that thing! Go ELECTRIC! I do dig your boat though! I don't think the clutch is slipping. What prop are you running? Is it the stock one? It sounds like its running on the rich side. What two stroke oil are you running and what ratio?

Erroneous
06-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Most gas/ nitro rc engines will come stock tuned extremely rich. Its best to run the first couple tanks of fuel at stock settings (somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 turns out on the needle) to break in the cylinder and seat the compression ring. The extra "rich" mix will help carry out any metal debris during the seating/break in. 3 tanks in Id lean it out 1/8 turn in at a time. This thing will WAKE UP quick!

andygoesfast
06-14-2017, 12:07 AM
I am running blend-all two stroke oil, at 25:1. I know it's pig rich! I only ran a little over two tanks. I was going to start leaning it out but that would make the clutch slip worse(extra power). I edited out most of the slip in the video(not trying to bad mouth hh(but getting sad at them after my call)). U can really hear it in the video around 1 to 1:30 Minutes in. The rpm go way up and the boat slows down.

In a side note I also have a modded zelos 36(I read the zelos 36 part of the forum all the time!) .. it's awesome, but my buddy got this boat and I had to have one too! I like the gas run time.. I get tired of driving before I have to pull in for more fuel. The 36 would beat this guy in a race hands down even once I leaned it out.

bigcam406
06-14-2017, 01:30 AM
I watched the vid and and I tend to agree about the clutch. but on some parts im thinking it could be cavitation. have you taken the clutch out and checked it? does the shoes look burnished at all?

Erroneous
06-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Id nail it, get some heat in the pads and see what happens. Do some prep work on the prop and let her eat. The chances of two sets of clutch pads being wonky are close to nothing.

andygoesfast
06-14-2017, 09:28 AM
The pads have seen a lot of heat! I would say they are a little less than half worn! When I was breaking in the motor I told my self it's was prop wash but I wasn't that lucky. After the first time I took it apart I knew there was a slip in the clutch. I cleaned the clutch pads and bell. I have also checked to make sure the clutch pads move freely on the bolt and the clutch bell has no visible cracks the bearing feels smooth and no play. Hh is sending me clutch shoes and going to have boat expert call me today(there wasn't one in yesterday). My buddy bought the same boat and it works fine. Mine is great, accept the clutch :(

Yellow
06-14-2017, 09:49 AM
What does that Zenoah engine recommend for oil to fuel ratio in the manual?

andygoesfast
06-14-2017, 02:03 PM
The book said 25:1

bigcam406
06-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Keep us updated. Im curious as to what is going on. Enjoyed the video though.

andygoesfast
06-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I have given up on product support on this guy.. I will just buy another company's clutch when the warranty is up on the boat. I think HH tried to come in on this boat with out breaking the 1k mark. I think it was their big short coming.. It doesn't have a ignition fail safe.. It has a clutch but no water pump?? The clutch works okay sometimes, but never 100% and free wheels the motor upto ?? rpm randomly.. This is a great hull but the cheap'ed out on some stuff. I dont think it right that it was sold as a rtr boat. I have bought a bunch of proboats and never had a problem, but this will be the last gas one ever! and maybe the last one ever. There are other company's that make WAY better gas boats(no names).. On a side note HH support is great if you know the part you want, but far from familiar with the actual working of a rc boat - especially a gas one.. Then there insulting and told me they dont know that there's a problem(you can hear it in my video). They want me to send the motor to the for 2+ weeks in the middle of boat season(never!). Do your self a favor, if you like the boat buy it as a hull and build it. The rtr means, I am ready to rage - that I just dropped 1K on this guy. Also even after I leaned this boat out its NO fast than my friends rockstar that box stock with a 26cc..

bigcam406
06-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Im sorry it hasnt worked out well for you. I understand that your friend bought one as well and is he having any issues? I know the clutch is supposed to engage at 6 thousand rpm but judging from what im reading theres an obvious under lying problem that exists. Flexshaft issues maybe? I dont get why they want you to send them the engine when it seems to running fine. Its tranferring the most power thats the problem. Maybe Raphael can chime in and help.

andygoesfast
06-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Im sorry it hasnt worked out well for you. I understand that your friend bought one as well and is he having any issues? I know the clutch is supposed to engage at 6 thousand rpm but judging from what im reading theres an obvious under lying problem that exists. Flexshaft issues maybe? I dont get why they want you to send them the engine when it seems to running fine. Its tranferring the most power thats the problem. Maybe Raphael can chime in and help.

Thank you for your continued support, this little boat is going to mentally break me! He is having the same problem. I know it's a 6k clutch lol, I ran a 8k on my modded 5ive(that was fun). The motor will free rev up to what my ear tach says is in the 20k range. Is not a slip problem, it's a engagement issue. When it does finally grab it goes from full rpms to the 8-10k range with a bang and then some chatter after it's engaged it doesn't slip uncontrollably, if at all. I read about proboat having issue with flex shafts. I don't see or feel any issues on the shaft when removed for service and it feels to move smooth in the sleeve. Could I be overlooking something there? They want the engine with the clutch on it, so they can idk?

I do have good news, I received a call last nite from Jeff in HH product support. He said he will have Raphael call/email me next week. So I guess I have hope again. I really want to like the boat, I am just furious that I am still having issues. Then to be insulted by the first rep yesterday sent me off the deep end.

bigcam406
06-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Raphael will sort it out for you. Keep the faith. Ive dealt with the HH reps before so i totally sympathize with you. Hang in there!

fweasel
06-25-2017, 01:57 AM
Raphael will sort it out for you. This.

Erroneous
06-25-2017, 12:34 PM
I think its cavitating. Ive watched the vid a few times.

Erroneous
06-25-2017, 08:35 PM
@1:25 of the first vid. Clutch is fine, prop is cavitating..... 4rth or 5th time watching.

andygoesfast
06-26-2017, 12:23 AM
https://youtu.be/rf81tHdorvg

There you go.. it's not the prop..

bigcam406
06-26-2017, 02:36 AM
just wondering if you made any adjustments to the strut height?

andygoesfast
06-26-2017, 10:00 AM
just wondering if you made any adjustments to the strut height?

Yes, when I removed the boat from the box it was very positive, when I started messing with the boat I dried it out. Currently the strut is just slightly past neutral negative .5 - 1 degree, boat rides good there once on a plane. I don't think my clutch is slipping I just think it's binding up somehow. If you turn up the sound I think you can hear the motor rev way up and see no change in the water trail until it finally grabs then the boat accelerates great. You can see in the video from yesterday it runs okay now(speed wise). I have run de-tounged 2 blade props, I have been through the slip, I am almost sure there is something mechanically wrong.

bigcam406
06-26-2017, 10:44 AM
I watched both videos numerous times last night at work(slow night lol) and i can see where it slips on the lower end of the rpm scale. I see where it seems just like cavitation also. My fastech nitro exhibits the same characteristics when i gun it from a low rpm, but its hard to judge by the video. You would know better than i but IMO it seems like there is something preventing that prop from biting the water whether its clutch or cavitation related. I hope you get it sorted as im a big fan of the boat and would like to purchase one in the near future.

andygoesfast
06-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Its worse when I try to roll into the throttle. That why I am almost sure its the clutch. I will take some pictures when I get it apart. I am on my second set of shoes there not looking good and I am only my first gallon of gas. when I rev it quickly, is the only time it will even go. If I stand on it to get the clutch to lock, then I can back off a little but if I try to increasing rpm slowly, the boat wont move. I was thinking of trying a rock star prop, the rockstars have a 2 blade prop. I thought that with a 2 blade the cavitation would be worse than a 3 blade? but I am almost sure the drag on the motor is less too(softer on clutch). Also, today after work I am going to pull my clutch shoes( a' f'ing again) and see if the are the exact same weight(borrowing a really nice paint scale from work), I was looking at the design of the shoes and it looks like they inter-lock when not engaged. So, in theory if one was heavier it would try to engage first and bind up in there. I will also clean the casting where the shoes meet back a little and round off the corners with my dremel, to see if I can free them up. Just cant remove a lot of materiel in there cause if I lighten the shoes up it will increase the rpms to engage the clutch by decreasing the rotating mass with the same tension spring on there?? I just watched HH video of the boat again, mine is nothing like that.. That's the boat I wound like.. LOL

Don't get me wrong I enjoy building and tinkering.. I just expect a rtr boat to be rtr. If I had bought a hull and built a boat this would be different, I could accept some hiccups.. I build full scale race cars for fun.. But I want this boat to remain stock for the first season. I dont think I should have to mess with it every time I throw it in the water. I have a couple bonzi boats and they run flawless! I have other electric proboats, flawless. My buddy that I run with has almost every gas boat(& electric some of witch he has pairs of..) proboats ever made(not a exaggeration), they run good to flawless(some are older can expect some issues).. lol with acceptation of his zelos 48 g(same issue as mine).

I still have a standing offer with horizon. I told them I will drive the 8 hours(each way) down to so-cal so Raphael can look over my boat.. I didn't ask for gas money, hotels, anything, just want the boat to run right.

If they dont fix it I will just order a Bonzi clutch for $250 and move on with my life.. With no more proboats :( I have 3 that I want right now! but wont give them more of my money, if its like this..

Prodrvr
06-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Just delete the clutch. Clutches in boats are stupid anyway. Totally unnecessary.

DBJr
06-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Just delete the clutch. Clutches in boats are stupid anyway. Totally unnecessary.

I was going to say the same thing. Just try to find a coupler that fits the engine shaft and flex shaft. OSE has a few nitro/gas engine couplers. The only thing is you'll need to be a bit more careful when you start the engine and launch your boat as the prop will start spinning as soon as the engine starts.

Prodrvr
06-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Just try to find a coupler that fits the engine shaft and flex shaft. OSE has a few nitro/gas engine couplers. The only thing is you'll need to be a bit more careful when you start the engine and launch your boat as the prop will start spinning as soon as the engine starts.

True, but safe nonetheless. Disclaimer: If you're under 14 years of age, clumsy, find yourself half in the bag while operating boats, or don't have a fully functioning brain, do not operate a gas powered r/c boat without a clutch. There ya go lol.

andygoesfast
06-26-2017, 03:05 PM
True, but safe nonetheless. Disclaimer: If you're under 14 years of age, clumsy, find yourself half in the bag while operating boats, or don't have a fully functioning brain, do not operate a gas powered r/c boat without a clutch. There ya go lol.

I was thinking the same thing for diagnoses. I really like the clutch, I can come to a stop if need be. I am ordering a water pump this week. I dont think my OCD would like not being able to stop the boat in the water if something came up.. sometimes I will let a boat idle while I am checking my surrounding for hazards, I dont think I would like it if I had to keep a eye on it when ever it was running.. I already installed a killer bee so I can cut ignition any time, but then I would have to retrieve the boat. If it was a top speed race only boat I wouldn't run a clutch but I like them for my sport boats. I like the safety factor of the clutch, for the what if.. It only takes one time, safety first. I have back ground in planes and helis too, I have seen some nasty trips to the er over a damn rc's.. I would assume buy the good clutch, I can make the money back. I value my fingers and boat greater than the cost of a good clutch. Just would like HH to step up and fix it. I dont think I should have to do anything to a rtr boat to enjoy it. If I dropped a higher output motor in there I would expect to have to buy a clutch but not for a stock boat(Am I being unreasonable?).

I do REALLY appreciate the input from you guys! :thumbup: This is a electric forum and you guys are offering help! I had a flame suit 2 layer thick ready, when I posted the problem! :flame42:

Prodrvr
06-26-2017, 03:19 PM
I know what you mean about the RTR. That's whole idea of buying a RTR...throw gas or batteries in it and go. Eventually, things will wear/break, but you should be able to run it for a few months before those things happen. You bought a great kill switch! I wouldn't worry about getting hurt without a clutch. I'd worry more about getting hurt by a plane. When I was first teaching myself to fly, I started a bad habit of standing in the center of the runway while landing, then have the plane just go by me by a few feet as it touched down. I was fascinated watching the planes crabbing in on crosswinds. Well, one time on final it caught a gust and I dumbthumbed it in fear of crashing and almost hit myself with it! That was the last time I stood on the runway lol.

bigcam406
06-26-2017, 08:20 PM
From what you described in an earlier post, it sounds like a spring issue more than anything. When you are rolling into the throttle the springs are holding the clutches away from the bell and they only engage with a shock of full throttle blast. I may be wrong but after watching the 2nd vid again im sure thats whats happening. I must say i admire your attitude through all of this, as you have been pretty reasonable considering the frustration you are experiencing. I hope Ralphael is reading this thread and helps you out when you finally meet up.

Prodrvr
06-27-2017, 07:17 AM
If that's the case, he can get a pair of lighter springs.

andygoesfast
06-27-2017, 03:03 PM
I spoke with Rafael this morning. Great guy! Knows his boats and stands behind them! He took a hour on the phone listening to my problem, troubleshooting, and recommending setup changes. I have determined that he designed the boat, and knows it better that anyone else. I am going to follow his instructions for diagnostic from here forward. His instructions were to lean the motor out, and report back. He suggested that the motor was still to rich and if I lean the motor out it would make more torque and be more likely to engage the clutch. I was tuning the boat off tempture, Rafael told me to lean it out till it stutters and then richen it up a little. So, I will lean out the motor and report back lol.

Last nite I pulled my clutch shoes and weighed the shoes, there the exact same down to the 1\10 of a gram. I took emery cloth and clean the points where the shoes contact each other on the back side. The motor is back together and ready to go in after work today. I dont think I fixed anything with the removal this time. I did notice that I can pull the the motor pretty quick now-a-days.. :crying:

I will keep you guys updated.

P.s. the new shoes came with a new spring in between them. So I have already ran 2 different pro boat springs in my boat.

Prodrvr
06-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Actually, the spark plug color will determine correct fuel mixture. You want to tune for WOT operation.

Erroneous
06-27-2017, 05:26 PM
:thumbup1: Now we're headed the right direction.

Erroneous
06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
@post #11... Jus sayin.

andygoesfast
06-27-2017, 06:55 PM
@post #11... Jus sayin.

I did lean it out( a bunch!) as much as I felt was save, after the break in. He told me the motor like to run really lean so, I am going to keep leaning it out till it sputters then richin it up a little. I know the motor is still rich for a fact because, he told me that his boat runs a neutral strut angle and constant 53 mph on the gps and looks way dryer in the videos then mine(my boat is negative about 1 degree, speeds in the low to mid 40's,and looks wetter in the video then his).. So that means mine is lacking power for sure! If that fixes the clutch that would be real nice but I will be happy(enjoy the little things) when it goes fast than my buddy stock rock star with a cy-26, that's a start.

bigcam406
06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Im glad you have a possible solution to your problem. I mentioned the spring problem because a friend i was talking to about your situation told me about the same symptoms he experienced with a skidoo a few years ago that displayed high rpms before engaging, then it would basically almost throw him off of it when it engaged. Found out the springs were bad in the clutch and replaced it and solved the problem. Good luck the rest of the way with the Zelos.

andygoesfast
07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gm7c6-ersQ

link to the newest video(yesterday)

I took my zelos out yesterday to lean the motor out at Raphael's instruction. The boat is now impressive fast but still has the clutch issue(again not shown in video through the magic of editing). I am getting better at driving with out slowing down. When I dont lift off the throttle once the clutch is engaged, it never has a problem :olleyes: . Already in communication with Raphael about it and figuring out the next step. This is a video just to show its fast now... That makes me happy, hope to figure out the clutch soon. This boat got another rough review on HH website, I am just trying to get mine fixed. I like it enough that I will buy a bonzi clutch if that's what it takes. I hope it doesn't come to that.. I will cut HH of of my money for selling a boat advertised as rtr but actually requires another $250 part to run right.

Erroneous
07-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Sounds like it's still running rich. Should be pulling more RPMs than that.

andygoesfast
07-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Sounds like it's still running rich. Should be pulling more RPMs than that.

For the record the problem is getting worse with the extra power.

I cant lean it out more. I leaned it till it sputtered, then richn maybe a 1/16 turn. I had leaned it out a good bit(about 3/8 of a turn over all from last time running). If its not hitting full rpms there would have to be another problem.

I plan to balance and sharpen the prop, see if I cant get a little more out of it.

bigcam406
07-18-2017, 11:14 AM
After watching the vid i noticed a definite improvement but it seems to be lacking rpms in the upper range. Maybe the engine is at its max at that point? Cant get anymore out of the combination? Have you checked for WOT? I know it sounds stupid but something is holding it back. I have experienced similar situations in drag engines that i have built and worked on. Hope you get it resolved.

andygoesfast
07-18-2017, 03:03 PM
After watching the vid i noticed a definite improvement but it seems to be lacking rpms in the upper range. Maybe the engine is at its max at that point? Cant get anymore out of the combination? Have you checked for WOT? I know it sounds stupid but something is holding it back. I have experienced similar situations in drag engines that i have built and worked on. Hope you get it resolved.

I am very familiar with checking my end points. From the factory it would only open 7/8, I fixed it with my controller right after my first tank of gas when I tore the boat apart to see if it was something easy in the clutch.

How do we know this engine and prop combo spin higher than want my boat was doing? My other boats have ported engines and run way higher rpms but there a completely different beast's(Bonzi's and enforcer's). I was happy with how fast the boat moved in my last video. Its no electric, but plenty fast for a 1k rtr boat(it has a 45 minute run time with a full tank). Iknow how to make it faster but thats a winter project.

I am at about 2k above sea level I know the air is a little thinner here but I dont think that would cause it? I leaned the motor out a bunch(maybe to lean), more than I would ever on any of my other two strokes.

I also checked to make sure the prop is not slipping on the shaft.

I used to tune the top end on my super-jet engine by tethering the ski(in the water) to my truck with rope and and opening the throttle all the way. I would then lean the motor out slowly till I heard max rpms. then richin it a 1/16. I was going to try something like that with the boat once the clutch is fixed.

The motor is out of the boat right now. Boxed and ready to ship to Raphael. I dont trust the people at hh support with my motor.. I have been talking with Raphael and we agreed that the easiest way to fix it would be for me to send him my motor. I trust him, He deigned the boat :smile:. I will ask him to run it hard before its return. I would have drove the whole boat down to him( for some test ' tune) but I haven't had any time away from work.. Its been hard to even get to the lake next to my house. :cursing:

Prodrvr
07-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Tuning a carb by sound is not the way to tune a carb on a gas engine. That method is for nitro engines.

Erroneous
07-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Pull the spark plug, if the tip is black its running too rich..... Rafael is good people. It should get sorted. Just keep in mind that the smaller the internal combustion engine is the more temperature, humidity and pressure play a role. Could run fantastic in SoCal for him and be rich/lean for you in Fl.

bigcam406
07-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Air density at 2k above sea level would be alot less. If you had it lean, it would make the problem worse. Air temp and humidity also plays into it as well. If the air is thin and you optimized the mixture to where you had it running in the video, maybe its as good as it can be. A look at the plug will determine whether if it was too lean or not. Hope Raphael can help you figure it out.

BPINE
07-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Not to Hijack a thread on my first post to this forum but I am really interested in this boat so I await the outcome. It sure seems like Rafael wants to make this right. Anyone know where I can find more info on this boat?

andygoesfast
07-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Not to Hijack a thread on my first post to this forum but I am really interested in this boat so I await the outcome. It sure seems like Rafael wants to make this right. Anyone know where I can find more info on this boat?

This tread is not specific to my problem. Its a general thread for the boat. The boat is still new so review are thin(and not good :crying: (probably in part(or all) do to people that dont know how to deal with the 2-stroke)). I will say gas boats have a different set of issues that will come up(both gas and electric have there + and -). What other questions did you have about it? Its great! accept the one issue I am having with it. I am still waiting for my shipping label as soon as its fixed or Raphael figures out the issue I will post what the problem was.

As for tuning off the spark plug, mine was bone dry! It looked like it was in a fuel injected car(clean with no build up).. I will run the motor richer than it was the other day normally, Just tried it because Raphael suggested it(for diagnostic).

bigcam406
07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
If the plug was that clean then it was probably near the optimal mixture point. Running at that elevation also causes your tuning window to be narrower, so a small adjustment either way can decrease the performance. From the vid, it sounded very close.

BPINE
07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
This tread is not specific to my problem. Its a general thread for the boat. The boat is still new so review are thin(and not good :crying: (probably in part(or all) do to people that dont know how to deal with the 2-stroke)). I will say gas boats have a different set of issues that will come up(both gas and electric have there + and -). What other questions did you have about it? Its great! accept the one issue I am having with it. I am still waiting for my shipping label as soon as its fixed or Raphael figures out the issue I will post what the problem was.

As for tuning off the spark plug, mine was bone dry! It looked like it was in a fuel injected car(clean with no build up).. I will run the motor richer than it was the other day normally, Just tried it because Raphael suggested it(for diagnostic).

Thanks for sharing, I used to race Many Many years ago and am not interested in doing that again, I just want something to have fun with. I traded an old mini quad for a cheap Fei Lun FT011 which actually works really good and got me interested in boats again. A friend of mine has a Traxxas M41 which also nice for just playing around but the run time on what I have seen so far with electrics isn't very long this is why I got interested in the G-48.
Before I make the plunge I need to be educated on my options for just a fun- fast enough to have fun with long run time boat I don't have to build.

bigcam406
07-20-2017, 01:08 AM
I think the jury is still out on this one. I would wait a bit to see what unfolds.

BPINE
07-20-2017, 10:59 AM
I think the jury is still out on this one. I would wait a bit to see what unfolds.

Is the jury just out on this clutch problem, it seems from what I have read on many forums and talking to people that own them (Pro Boats)

they really like them and the support seems to be good. I know they are not a race boat but all I want to do is have a bit of fun and be able to get parts when needed.

bigcam406
07-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Im a fan of Proboat as i own 2 older models that i have owned for 9 yrs now. It wasnt until a few years ago they really stepped up their program and the support increased dramatically. As far as the boat in question, i personally wouldnt spend a grand on a boat with documented issues until the bugs are worked out of it. This is where the increased product support aforementioned comes in to play and i have the utmost confidence it will be solved. But until then, nope.

BPINE
07-21-2017, 09:19 AM
I mean this in a nice way is it this 1 documented clutch issue or am I missing something?

Erroneous
07-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Im sticking to my theory. The clutch is fine. Whats happening is as with all boats, at low speed high throttle/ power the prop is cavitating. There is not enough forward motion to supply enough water to create thrust. A negative pressure is still created in front of the prop so it draws in air from the surface. A lil finesse of the throttle or not letting out so much to turn will make a world of difference. A slightly bigger possibly lower pitch prop (at the sacrifice of speed) may work as well. Anyone else with more knowledge feel free to chime in.

Erroneous
07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6AL9f7vFIB8 Watch the vid.. This is cavitation folks.

Erroneous
07-21-2017, 11:22 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYVfm_elkA @ :27 of my vid. This is a twin electric setup, no clutches. Is my clutch slipping? Granted there are twice the props pushing this thing but the cavitation is obvious. Too much throttle from the hole....

BPINE
07-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Well I will let you know very soon what I think about this, I couldn't resist and ordered one. I have a few buddies that are pretty dedicated racers and I am sure my boat won't be stock for long and we will get a handle on this. It sure sounds like cavitation to me as well.

bigcam406
07-21-2017, 12:36 PM
I mean this in a nice way is it this 1 documented clutch issue or am I missing something?
Another person who bought one gave it a scathing review on the Horizon website and ended up returning it.

BPINE
07-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Another person who bought one gave it a scathing review on the Horizon website and ended up returning it.

Hmm this could be interesting, seems that guy doesn't understand how to tune a 2 stroke and there are plenty of props out there that will work for this boat, props hit things and break part of the hobby but for people that buy a RTR should be able to buy stock props when needed.

Erroneous
07-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Thats another thing that needs to be understood. Props are either good for top end or hole shot. The trick is finding a happy median. This is true for full scale boats as well. The prop is in effect a gear, you cant take off from a stop in 4th gear in your car. The gear is not set up for that. If they would have put a prop on this boat that was good for holeshot everyone would cry that its only doing 40mph topped out (1st-2nd gear).... Lastly there is a reason that in any form of hobby or racing the guy who spends more time/money on his setup is in first place.

CraigP
07-21-2017, 04:19 PM
A variable pitch prop would be interesting, eh guys?

andygoesfast
07-22-2017, 12:57 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYVfm_elkA @ :27 of my vid. This is a twin electric setup, no clutches. Is my clutch slipping? Granted there are twice the props pushing this thing but the cavitation is obvious. Too much throttle from the hole....

No need to be a dick.. Raphael has admitted there is a problem with my boat. I sent him my motor.. idk how many boats have the issue. Watch the product video for the zelos g it's a lot different from my video it has hole shot no problem, stands up and goes! Watch the video I made - rc boat problem, when I go by the camera the rpm change and the jet stream behind the boat has no change. If the prop was changing rpm the jet stream should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate? When I have this issue, I could hold the throttle floored and the boat would go about 3 miles an hour in definitely whether I'm going straight or turning with my RPMs through the roof.

This is not my first boat, or even proboat. If this is how the boat is then I would say the rockstar is better. After talking with Raphael I am sure mine is having issues. Per the developer

Now we can argue this out like Internet tough guy's? Or wait for Rafael next week to say what is wrong? If he says it is me I will be glad to post that up here. I am not above error. I could ask him to join in the thread?

Erroneous
07-22-2017, 06:16 PM
How was I being a ----?.... Showing my point of view and providing proof from my experience?....Good luck to you.....

bigcam406
07-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Any updates?

andygoesfast
07-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Any updates?

I just got my motor back from Raphael. He just changed my clutch shoes for some others that he had around.. I have change the shoes twice already my self that's a total for 4 sets of clutch shoes in 1.5 gallons.. Who's to say the clutch material that got worn off didn't get sucked into my engine and cause wear to the bearing or rings(or set me up for premature masive failure).. he was to busy to run my motor.. I will put the motor in my boat this week after work and run the boat this weekend. If the problem is not corrected I am just going to box it up and send it back. I am done trying! If proboat cant fix it, I dont want to spend the time or money to.

I dont want to speak for BPINE but I will say he is not impressed with the boat, even a little bit.

I want the boat to be good(cause other wise I am a fool for buying it) but I am just about out of faith. I have never been so disappointed in a boat, proboat, or ANY of my rc purchases at this point. I will not buy a proboat off the product video anymore and that's for sure..

And for erroneous, you have been tolling me ever since I posted my problem. You post repetitively with out reading what I wrote. You need to watch my video "rc boat problem" I edited it out in the other videos(as previously stated) because I was not trying to make the boat look like a pos. in the video rc boat problem- at about 10 second in, you will hear the motors rmps go crazy high. I try to feather the gas for over 10 seconds before it hooks up.. listen to the rpms of the motor if the prop was changing rpms with the motor the the stream behind the boat should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate(you will need sound). I know what caviation is.. I have de-tounged props on my zelos 36.. as for your props top end or bottom end, I will just say no.. I know your 100% right there but this is a stock rtr boat. It should cavitate that bad, watch the product video.. or the video of Raphael e-converted one, it comes out of the hole(in a turn) like a bat out of hell. I would like to keep the thread clean.. If you want to talk more feel free to pm me and I will send you my number so we can talk.

Rc boat problem

Original product video
https://youtu.be/1pqtCUND4Ds

Raphael e converted one
https://youtu.be/lf7xocfUz3U

BPINE
07-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Well I unfortunately I bought one of these and I am more than a little disappointed. I have run about a gallon of fuel through it a little at a time because both water pick ups don't work very well, hardly a trickle and it gets pretty hot. I broke it in on a stand with a water pump running which worked just fine but in the water not much water at all. As discussed the clutch is not good, about 75% or so of the time it will not engage especially after it has been run a while. So far top speed about 37 mph according to the radar gun, far from 50 +++ as advertised. Last thing so far is don't turn left it will flip even at 1/2 throttle.
Horizon has been a great resource for me I have bought a ton of stuff from them and have had a few problems which were taken care of but I just don't see how this boat is ever going to work.

Erroneous
07-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Not trolling anyone. Tried giving advice to no avail. As I said, good luck to you.......

bigcam406
07-31-2017, 06:07 PM
I just got my motor back from Raphael. He just changed my clutch shoes for some others that he had around.. I have change the shoes twice already my self that's a total for 4 sets of clutch shoes in 1.5 gallons.. Who's to say the clutch material that got worn off didn't get sucked into my engine and cause wear to the bearing or rings(or set me up for premature masive failure).. he was to busy to run my motor.. I will put the motor in my boat this week after work and run the boat this weekend. If the problem is not corrected I am just going to box it up and send it back. I am done trying! If proboat cant fix it, I dont want to spend the time or money to.

I dont want to speak for BPINE but I will say he is not impressed with the boat, even a little bit.

I want the boat to be good(cause other wise I am a fool for buying it) but I am just about out of faith. I have never been so disappointed in a boat, proboat, or ANY of my rc purchases at this point. I will not buy a proboat off the product video anymore and that's for sure..

And for erroneous, you have been tolling me ever since I posted my problem. You post repetitively with out reading what I wrote. You need to watch my video "rc boat problem" I edited it out in the other videos(as previously stated) because I was not trying to make the boat look like a pos. in the video rc boat problem- at about 10 second in, you will hear the motors rmps go crazy high. I try to feather the gas for over 10 seconds before it hooks up.. listen to the rpms of the motor if the prop was changing rpms with the motor the the stream behind the boat should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate(you will need sound). I know what caviation is.. I have de-tounged props on my zelos 36.. as for your props top end or bottom end, I will just say no.. I know your 100% right there but this is a stock rtr boat. It should cavitate that bad, watch the product video.. or the video of Raphael e-converted one, it comes out of the hole(in a turn) like a bat out of hell. I would like to keep the thread clean.. If you want to talk more feel free to pm me and I will send you my number so we can talk.

Rc boat problem

Original product video
https://youtu.be/1pqtCUND4Ds

Raphael e converted one
https://youtu.be/lf7xocfUz3U

Wow. Too bad Raphael couldnt have done more for you considering he reached out to you . As for Bpine, sorry to hear you are experiencing similar and different issues considering the cooling. I guess the best bet is to just buy the hull and build the rest yourself. Very disappointing to say the least because i was hoping there would be a fix from Proboat for these problems.

Rc4me
07-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Andy!!! Let me kno when you go out this weekend. Im glad i didnt get one too. Effing clutches. Yours deff not right. Your zelos should smoke my gator not run about the same.

BPINE
07-31-2017, 10:28 PM
Wow. Too bad Raphael couldnt have done more for you considering he reached out to you . As for Bpine, sorry to hear you are experiencing similar and different issues considering the cooling. I guess the best bet is to just buy the hull and build the rest yourself. Very disappointing to say the least because i was hoping there would be a fix from Proboat for these problems.

I think Andy's issues are pretty much the same as mine, I don't think he got a fair chance to try it. Mine is on it's way back to HH I hope they get it fixed right if so it will be a nice boat. I am real nervous, a big RC purchase and so far the biggest let down I have had in the hobby in over 40 years.

bigcam406
08-01-2017, 08:08 AM
Thats too bad. I was hoping they meaning Proboat would possibly get a handle on the problem and have it sorted. I was thinking of grabbing one but after reading these posts i will decline. Im wondering why the Rockstar didnt have these issues?

Mxkid261
08-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Take the clutch off and put a coupler on it, see how it runs then. I wouldn't want a clutch on it anyway but that's just me. More crap to wear out and cause other issues

bigcam406
08-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Agreed. Curious to see if anyone will go that route. Top speed should be quicker without the slippage

BPINE
08-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Take the clutch off and put a coupler on it, see how it runs then. I wouldn't want a clutch on it anyway but that's just me. More crap to wear out and cause other issues

You are totally right the clutch probably has to go, I was buying this as a play boat and I thought the clutch would be great for that but it isn't working out so good. I am hoping HH can at least address some of the other problems and maybe even fix the clutch if not I am not really sure what I am going to do.

BPINE
08-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Mine should be back at HH this Friday lets hope there is a fix for the problems I am having. A real bummer to pay this much for a boat now I will be without it for a month in prime boating season.

BPINE
08-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Well I don't have anything much positive to report other than HH took very good care of me as usual. I didn't get an explanation of what was really wrong with my Zelos but they sent me a brand new one. The new boat wasn't much better and after hours of tuning I finally got it to a lethargic 42mph. It isn't a good handling boat at all so I returned it to HH for a refund which I received.

fweasel
08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Well, there you have it.

bigcam406
08-31-2017, 10:50 PM
Wow. At least they refunded your purchase. Wasnt from lack of trying thats for sure.

dasboata
08-31-2017, 11:13 PM
I have a RTR gas boat,,, real boat !!! no clutch in the 4 sale section

BPINE
09-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I have a RTR gas boat,,, real boat !!! no clutch in the 4 sale section

I am in the process of building an Insane mono should be done this weekend.

andygoesfast
09-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Sorry for the long wait, for my reply.

I will start with Erroneous. I Am SORRY! Truly I am. I have been under a lot of stress during the time I owned the boat(friend died, work, home, cars, rc boats, etc).. I am not sure that you are right but I will returned the boat so I will never know. Blair in the end, said it was caviation too. He tried all the different heights and angles for the prop. Also he tried different props. So, for all I know its a bad hull design or bad hardware causing caviation that really seems like a clutch to me.

Conclusion of my experience with the zelos g:
I sent my boat in for repairs after I continued to have problems and gps'ed the boat at 35.6 mph(top speed). The product support people couldn't tell me what was wrong with my boat and offered a replacement. I declined and asked for a refund. They said they would get me one. I have been waiting now for almost 2 weeks for a check in the amount that I bought the boat for.

I will stay subscribed to this tread in hopes that someone buys one and makes it work right. This boat was just not for me, there are a lot of other boats out there in this price range with fewer to 0 problems. If I want to build a boat I would have bought a hull and build one(no time right now). This guys was not rtr. I would recommend having a very good build plan before picking one of these boats up.

Erroneous
09-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Dont sweat it man. We have all been there. I have literally (back in the formula nitro v days) thrown a boat as hard as I could into the lake only to have it laugh at me and stick the landing. Could have painted boobies on my forehead.... Glad you came back, the bug is toxic and incurable. Every boat has its demons and everyone has their own theories untill they tune for a while and nail it. :buttrock:

Jstatrk
06-10-2018, 11:18 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AL9f7vFIB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[url]https://youtu.be/6AL9f7vFIB8[/urln

Video of my new Zelos g running!

I have a problem with it.. The clutch is slipping and horizon will only send me new shoes or I have to send the motor in and wait two weeks for them to look at it.. I am almost sure its not the shoes, there are worn now but I this there's a bigger problem. The boat has 2-3 tanks through it. it had the problem the whole time.. even during break in :( I am disappointed in the customer service at this point.. Its a new boat, I want it fixed before next weekend or a new boat before the week end. Accept for the clutch the boat is great! Anyone have a idea how I can run my boat again this weekend?
I just bought this boat and had the same problem but the proboat rep I talked to said it was a break in problem and it was . You need to start leaning the motor out and as soon as you get the RPMS up the clutch problem will go away . Now my issue is the flex shaft keeps breaking . I am talking to proboat rep and he is sending me a new shaft

Scratcher405
08-26-2018, 08:31 AM
I have two of these Zelos 48G's and two members of our club each have one.

They all run about 44mph bone stock and are a blast. A 1.4 pitch prop will get you to 45-46 mph and fixes any clutch issue. We all had to fiddle with them and run 2 or 3 tanks of gas to get them running well.

I'm sure we'll have these boats running 47-49mph as we learn to dial them in.

But even at 44-45 mph running these boats all together is such a blast. I'd like to get another so I can join my two sons and have 5 of these all running together.

Spray WD40 in the clutch housing and get needle clamps for the carb, also run the NGK CMR7H.

My one son has flipped his 3 or 4 times and it always lands prop side down and keeps running. I think these are the most fun boats on race day.

urbs00007
09-07-2018, 08:27 PM

They all run about 44mph bone stock and are a blast. A 1.4 pitch prop will get you to 45-46 mph and fixes any clutch issue. We all had to fiddle with them and run 2 or 3 tanks of gas to get them running well.

But even at 44-45 mph running these boats all together is such a blast. I'd like to get another so I can join my two sons and have 5 of these all running together.

Spray WD40 in the clutch housing and get needle clamps for the carb, also run the NGK CMR7H.

My one son has flipped his 3 or 4 times and it always lands prop side down and keeps running. I think these are the most fun boats on race day.

any hull cracks? what prop are you running? glad someone experienced took a chance. think I'm going to buy one. thanks

Scratcher405
09-08-2018, 03:03 PM
No hull cracks.

We're finding the stock (B&S) prop get's us best speeds so far, 46 mph. Still tuning, next weekend we hope to reach 47 mph, still 100% stock.

We did start running with out the canopy, seems to help. W/O the canopy we've added a 1.5" windshield at 45 deg. and wind deflector at the back of the canopy opening to prevent the parachute effect. I'll try to post pictures.

precisionboatbuilder
09-09-2018, 07:43 AM
No hull cracks.

We're finding the stock (B&S) prop get's us best speeds so far, 46 mph. Still tuning, next weekend we hope to reach 47 mph, still 100% stock.

We did start running with out the canopy, seems to help. W/O the canopy we've added a 1.5" windshield at 45 deg. and wind deflector at the back of the canopy opening to prevent the parachute effect. I'll try to post pictures.

Have you guys tried running a 257 full mod carb on any of them? It may get u some more power. You can also run a copper head gasket for more compression and pick up some power there. Gas boats was my thing for years. I'm currently resurrecting my full mod express craft thunderbolt.

urbs00007
09-13-2018, 06:51 PM

can you say where you set the strut to run best? needle valve settings? just bought one. going to try stock prop and prather 270. how often should I spray wd 40 into clutch housing? thanks

Scratcher405
09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Low Speed needle 1 1/4
Hi Speed needle 1 3/8
Be sure to get a needle clamp, or needles moved at WOT.
Haven't even moved the strut yet, it's flush to the bracket at the top I believe.
WD40 clutch about very full tank of gas or when you lube the flex shaft. Or every time you flip the boat.
We're running 46 mph w/o the canopy on.
Sunday we'll be testing with and with out the velocity stack.

Scratcher405
09-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Oh yeah, NGK spark plug in the "7" heat range (I forget the full NGK number)
Also running VP110 fuel with Yamalube 2R

Scratcher405
09-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Ngk cmr7h

urbs00007
09-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Low Speed needle 1 1/4
Hi Speed needle 1 3/8
Be sure to get a needle clamp, or needles moved at WOT.
Haven't even moved the strut yet, it's flush to the bracket at the top I believe.
WD40 clutch about very full tank of gas or when you lube the flex shaft. Or every time you flip the boat.
We're running 46 mph w/o the canopy on.
Sunday we'll be testing with and with out the velocity stack.

just read the instructions for cable greasing. seems like alot of work. anyone come up with an easier way? appreciate your help setting this boat up. seems well made overall. one thing I don't like, though, is nylon thrust washers at the strut between drive dog and strut. have you seen significant wear of the washers? going to run sunday. have a couple props to try. also going to try larger 2 blade props with the strut set even with bottom of rear sponsons. more like a surface drive if you will. I have a zelos 48 electric, hull only which I ran with a 10s motor. torque roll was too much until i raised the strut. will let you know how I make out. thanks again.

Scratcher405
09-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Zippkits has a bearing to replace the nylon thrust washer between the drive dog and strut. It's actually acetal, not nylon. Just ordered a few to try out.

Scratcher405
09-28-2018, 09:09 PM
We got up to 48 mph today with the Zelos 48g, 100% stock.
We put the velocity stack back on and angled the prop strut about 5 degrees to raise the bow. (It used to be level with the top of the strut mount)

50 mph is within reach for sure, just need to spend time fine tuning the carb needles and prop strut.

urbs00007
10-02-2018, 08:03 PM
ran the boat for about an hour. stock prop worked well. impressed with handling. one problem however, the steering servo won't center. my friend has the boat and haven't looked into it. is it waterproof? some water got in, not much, though.

h2oskidude
12-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Been out of the RC business for a long time but my wife is getting me a new Zelos 48G for Xmas. I've been a good boy I guess! So might have a few new questions. First one I can think of is if the boat will run about 45 minutes how long will the receiver battery last in the boat?

dasboata
12-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Been out of the RC business for a long time but my wife is getting me a new Zelos 48G for Xmas. I've been a good boy I guess! So might have a few new questions. First one I can think of is if the boat will run about 45 minutes how long will the receiver battery last in the boat?

you should start your own post for a better response

rearwheelin
12-14-2018, 08:16 PM
lol

rearwheelin
12-14-2018, 08:21 PM

If I had a 48” gasser I would definitely run a large receiver pack with a castle BEC to compliment its larger fuel tank that I would install, probably tap into the existing fuel tank with a MSR fuel bottle

gohan
08-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Problem: engine cuts out at 1/2 tank. Checked for air leaks and adjusted carb, still cuts out. Any tips? TIA

bogieboy
08-05-2019, 12:54 PM
any deterioration of the fuel line? sound to me like a crack in the pickup line in the fuel tank. when the tank is full, no problems... once it gets to the level of the cracked line, sucks air. OOOORRRRRR.......LOL is there a check valve in the tank to allow the tank to release vaccuum form the tank? tank might be pulling vaccuum, and starving carb...

snehpetsffej
08-09-2019, 11:04 PM
I just picked up one of these for cheap because people don't understand gas boats. It's in great shape only ran twice. I brought it home striped out the stock motor, clutch, and driveline. Installed a new zenoah g300pum that was modified by Mike Ross, used a speedmaster collet in place of the clutch, installed a speedmaster drive shaft, and a prop works 7016/3-400-LL. I took it out to break in the motor today and I like this boat a lot. At a minimum through the clutch in the trash change out the driveline and prop, you will have an reliable boat that you can enjoy.

Ricoswave
08-03-2020, 06:12 PM
I have recently picked up a Zelos 48, and felt like I needed to respond to this thread ( although it is quite old). When I ran my boat for the first time out of the box, I had the same symptom reported here ( stab the throttle and nothing but revving to the moon). I debated whether or not this was clutch slip or cavitation, and remembered the debate in this thread. I dropped the strut 1/8" from the factory location, and the boat drove entirely different. The prop now digs hard, and the boat is decently quick ( 37mph or so) running very wet and with some power left on the table carb tuning wise. I expect this boat to be in the low 40s without too much work, and it should hit 50 with a well worked prop and finished tune.

The good:
The boat seems well built. Finish is great looking, all parts look decent hardware wise. Engine is strong running and has been consistent and responsive to tuning out of the box.

The not so good:
The cooling system is not the best. The line for the cylinder head needs to be bored out for sure, and I am contemplating a dual inlet head and dual inlet rudder.
Rudder deflection with the stock radio is pretty bad ( and no end point adjustment).
Forget about turning left. This boat has serious right side percentage, and loves to rip turns to the right. Turn left under power in any capacity and things get dicey. This could be counterbalanced with weight, but its not that serious.

Some video from today:

https://youtu.be/--83-WsC09Y

urbs00007
08-03-2020, 06:45 PM
I have recently picked up a Zelos 48, and felt like I needed to respond to this thread ( although it is quite old). When I ran my boat for the first time out of the box, I had the same symptom reported here ( stab the throttle and nothing but revving to the moon). I debated whether or not this was clutch slip or cavitation, and remembered the debate in this thread. I dropped the strut 1/8" from the factory location, and the boat drove entirely different. The prop now digs hard, and the boat is decently quick ( 37mph or so) running very wet and with some power left on the table carb tuning wise. I expect this boat to be in the low 40s without too much work, and it should hit 50 with a well worked prop and finished tune.

The good:
The boat seems well built. Finish is great looking, all parts look decent hardware wise. Engine is strong running and has been consistent and responsive to tuning out of the box.

The not so good:
The cooling system is not the best. The line for the cylinder head needs to be bored out for sure, and I am contemplating a dual inlet head and dual inlet rudder.
Rudder deflection with the stock radio is pretty bad ( and no end point adjustment).
Forget about turning left. This boat has serious right side percentage, and loves to rip turns to the right. Turn left under power in any capacity and things get dicey. This could be counterbalanced with weight, but its not that serious.

Some video from today:

https://youtu.be/--83-WsC09Y clock wise is normal course for rc boats. the props turn counter-clockwise and the prop acts as a paddle wheel, pulling the transom to the left. this has a tendency to pull the boat to the right and turning the rudder adds to this pulling right. going left is going against this . that's why it doesn't like to go left. by the way, what is rudder deflection??

Ricoswave
08-03-2020, 07:06 PM
clock wise is normal course for rc boats. the props turn counter-clockwise and the prop acts as a paddle wheel, pulling the transom to the left. this has a tendency to pull the boat to the right and turning the rudder adds to this pulling right. going left is going against this . that's why it doesn't like to go left. by the way, what is rudder deflection??

I get whats going on with the forces back there, just being spoiled not being able to rip the boat both directions hahaha. Rudder deflection is pretty much throw, on a middle or high end radio you can just mess with the EPA ( end point adjustment) and make it so the servo throws further in one or both directions for sharper turns. Based on what I have seen from this boat, I would probly leave the throw alone for the left turns, and maybe crank in some more throw for right turns making the boat a touch more aggressive. Just my .02

That said I'm resisting the urge to just shop for more prop for this thing and cheat my way to 50mph, however I want to try to do it the "hard" way first truly box stock.