PDA

View Full Version : Nearing maiden run of first R/C boat with a few questions please...

Linewbie
05-07-2017, 08:57 AM
I hope to have my new Pro Marine MTR wet next weekend, charger and lipos due in later this week. In preparation should I remove all the drive hardware and through hull fittings and re-assemble with some sort of silicone sealer and maybe use a Blue Loctite on the hardware fittings when re-assembling?
Is it necessary to use small zip ties on the water lines where they attach to the barbed fittings, they seem pretty well secure? Finally what should I use to grease the prop shaft, a dedicated and probably over priced R/C grease or just grab a tub from a marine store that will probably last me a lifetime? Ill do a bathtub leak test before going out.
Thanks to all, can't wait to get going...

fweasel
05-07-2017, 09:46 AM
I use marine grease from Dynamite (Proboat) PRB0100, about $17 for a gun and decent sized tube. Who knows what the boat will come with, if any, on the flex cable so be sure to remove that, clean it up, and re-grease before your first run. I do a bath tub test on my new boats to check for leaks and work from there. I would say pulling all of the hardware before any leaks are found is unnecessary work. Certainly check the hardware to make sure everything is snug. Loctite on prop nuts, drive dog grub screws and motor collet grub screws, and motor mount screws isn't a bad idea as they all see direct vibration. You will not need zip ties for stock sized water lines. I've only needed them for oversized tubing, but it certainly won't hurt anything. Since it's your first boat, and a fast one at that, get yourself a roll of hatch tape (clear hockey tape or a matching color vinyl electrical tape) and tape your hatch before the run. When, not if, the boat flips, it will guarantee you plenty of time to recover the boat without the fear of taking on water.

Linewbie
05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Thanks fweasel, it came with hatch tape, everything else all done, just awaiting parts.

Prodrvr
05-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Did it come with enough flotation?

Linewbie
05-07-2017, 07:15 PM
There are 2 sections of pool noodle that run the length of the sponsons forward of the electronics compartment along with a rectangular piece that runs between the sponsons. I may add after finding where and how I'm going to secure the Lipos.

Prodrvr
05-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Very good.

Linewbie
05-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I imagine it will be quite useful...