PDA

View Full Version : Mono Build

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Im in the process of building a fe mono (my first build). My knowledge in this area's limited, lucky Ive got the help from a friend :smile:

Ill post a few pics of the hull although I wont make a start until probably early-mid December. Its a fiber glass hull with a carbon bottom (on top of glass layer).

Planned Setup:

Motor: ProBoat Brushless A3630-1500 Motor (BlackJack)
Speed Controller: X-Power Brushless 100a Esc
Hardware: Octura Offset Rudder System
Transmitter: Spektrum DX3.0

and the other bits and pieces (motor mount, batteries (obviously), turn fins)

Not the best quality setup (beat you to it "Spot me 2" hahaha :buttrock:) but its defiantly a good start.

Any Suggestions/comments?

Here come some pics...............

mtgoat
11-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Is that a BBY Oval Master hull?

calcagno45
11-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Sounds good so far. Whats the dimensions on it? Are you going to be running LiPo or NiMh cells? how many?

Also, trim tabs and turn fins definitely help stabilize the boat at higher speeds.

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Is that a BBY Oval Master hull?

Yep, its an Oval Master Hull. A guy at the local rc boat club made it for me.

Darin Jordan
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Yep, its an Oval Master Hull. A guy at the local rc boat club made it for me.

:huh: :confused1: :huh:

I hope that "guy" is Randy Naylor... Otherwise, someone is making unauthorized splashes of someone elses work... :nono: :nono: :nono:

calcagno45
11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
or is he chinese? Seems like the Chinese like to copy some hulls...:rofl:

RandyatBBY
11-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I would hope people would be smarter. It is not my lay up. Sorta looks like ABS lined with CF. Except for the rub rail on the front.

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
:huh: :confused1: :huh:

I hope that "guy" is Randy Naylor... Otherwise, someone is making unauthorized splashes of someone elses work... :nono: :nono: :nono:

He's not Chinese and he isnt making them in "business quantity", its just a hobby. So basically its not a copy of someone elses work, although that shape is pretty much standard for an Oval Master.

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I would hope people would be smarter. It is not my lay up. Sorta looks like ABS lined with CF. Except for the rub rail on the front.

Well thats a relief, I was sure it was an original shape...

Its a GLASS hull lined with carbon (its been gel coated... i think)

Thanks for the interest :laugh:

Darin Jordan
11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
He's not Chinese and he isnt making them in "business quantity", its just a hobby. So basically its not a copy of someone elses work, although that shape is pretty much standard for an Oval Master.

This is the last I'll comment on this thread... I'll let Randy take it from here if he feels like saying something... But if someone has splashed the OM26 and is making them for other people, then they've "copied" someone elses work...

I don't have a problem with this if it's for personal use and one gets permission from the originator, but if they are being distributed to others, and especially if they didn't have permission to do this, then it's a splash and IS taking someone elses hard work. They also took a sale away from the person who originally designed the boat and is still selling them.

Just my opinion. I won't comment further.

Good Luck with your build. It should be a nice boat when it's finished.

mtgoat
11-17-2008, 08:05 PM
If I'm not mistaken, BBY hulls do not come assembled. The hobbyist assembles the two hull "halves" along with any reinforcements there may be. I suspect Gumchild3000's "guy at the rc boat club" assembled the hull and added the carbon reinforcement.

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 10:39 PM
JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP....
(Relating to Darin Jordan's comment)

I had a bad choice of words, so Ill try again...

The Oval Master is BBY - I bought it second hand from "the boat club guy" and it was in "halves".
As I said before, my knowledge on the subject is limited, so I gave the hull back to him and he put fiberglass around the joins, assembled the boat for me and layed Carbon on the bottom of the hull.

What im trying to say is that the hull is BBY, and NO it was not a COPY of Randy's, it is a legitimate BBY hull.

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this makes it clearer.

Darin Jordan
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I hope this makes it clearer.

Excellent... Build away, and post lots of pics! Most of all... HAVE FUN!! :beerchug:

J.Cullen
11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Excellent... Build away, and post lots of pics! Most of all... HAVE FUN!! :beerchug:

Shall do, dont worry, there will be plenty of pics. Should be finished early Jan. If there's alot of interest ill keep posting pics and comments. :smile:

mtgoat
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Whew! Glad that's settled.:biggrin:

Not the best quality setup[...]

I don't know about that. IMHO, the Oval Master is an excellent hull, the Octura hardware works as well as anything else, and the Blackjack motor puts out plenty of power. What more could you want?:thumbup1:

My buddy has the Oval Master 21 (smaller version), and it is incredibly fast and stable for such a small boat (40+ mph). I think you'll be very pleased with the way it runs.

RandyatBBY
11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
If you need Hardware for the boat I am going to have a 20% off sale hulls and hardware.
Thanks for the two PM re-ashuring me that the hull is a BBY. And Thanks Darren and every one else for beeing protective of my Product.

J.Cullen
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
If you need Hardware for the boat I am going to have a 20% off sale hulls and hardware.
Thanks for the two PM re-ashuring me that the hull is a BBY. And Thanks Darren and every one else for beeing protective of my Product.

20% Off, thats sounding great...although Im in Australia, postage is a killer!
No worries Randy, sorry about all that. :smile:

Jimmy Sterling
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Gumtree,

Does the hull have a transom plate already installed, or is it just straigh ABS ?

If it does'nt I can cut one out for you with some CF I have lying around, I'll use my OM to make a template :tiphat: