PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion paint ?

Andris Golts
04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Hi all just finished spraying the abs cowl for my mini sprint i was not satisfied with the results if i was to use red automotive grade scotch brite pad to rub the paint back to white abs plastic would this work? Or doe's the Krylon fusion paint etch it self right into the abs? If this is the case maybe i will have to be content with the poor results. This is the first time i have painted plastic. Regards Andris Golts.

rol243
04-25-2017, 09:24 PM
painting plastic is no different to painting any surface as long as you do the prep work. fine sand the plastic with automotive wet and dry 600 grade paper so there is no sheen left on the surface, apply 1 coat of automotive primmer and sand with 1000 grade wet and dry paper then add you paint colour of say 3 coats leaving the allowed drying time between coats. if your using a metalic colour you need to finish off with a coat or two of clear laquer. i don,t know the product your using .

Tamelesstgr
04-25-2017, 09:41 PM
What is not satisfying about the job, can you share some pictures?

You have to pay very close attention to the coat drying times, especially with enamel paints.

Andris Golts
04-26-2017, 12:30 AM
Hi the problem with paint job was when i unmasked the area that was painted with the black fusion while removing the 3M #223 green auto masking tape i noticed that tape had left an inprint off itself on the black fusion the tape was on for about 4 1/2 hrs till i got around to unmasking the black fusion was sprayed on 14 days ago while the yellow fusion was sprayed on 7 days ago and no problem. The last paint applied over the masked area was Duplicolor orange engine enamel I wonder if a rubbing compound will also solve this problem ? How long do the paints have to dry before i can try compounding ? Regards Andris Golts.

rol243
04-26-2017, 02:29 AM
certainly had enough drying time , maybe the black fusion was abit thick and couldn,t cure properly. for buffing up you usually leave paints for about a week just to make sure the paint has dried hard mainly acrylic laquers need the buffing compound. can you carefully sand the surface back with some 800 or 1000 grit paper [ wet ] then apply some clear over the whole cowl ? this would work and finsh the job off nicely.

Tamelesstgr
04-26-2017, 09:04 AM
I use Frog tape, they make 2 kinds. The green one is regular duty, and they make a yellow version that is much easier to use and get nice crisp lines. It's less tacky and doesn't leave marks or imprints behind on the previous paint layer.

I ahve experienced the same thing you mention even on cured paint. Maybe it's something in the glue they use on the tape reacting to the paint. I had to wet sand lightly and buff to get back to a nice shiny clear coat.

Tamelesstgr
04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
https://www.frogtape.com/products/delicate-surface-painters-tape/frogtape-brand-delicate-surface-painters-tape-280220

Andris Golts
04-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Regards Andris Golts.

JohnZ
05-31-2017, 07:32 PM
I painted my BBY 26" Off Shore with krylon Fusion without primer. White ABS does not really need a primer just a bit of scuffing with a fine Scotchbrite and you're ready to paint. I let it cure for an entire weeks before wet sanding and then clear coated. BTW Krylon does make a special clear coat for Fusion. After a week of curing I then wet sanded with 600, 1000 then clear coat polish. Very shiny.