PDA

View Full Version : Zelos 36 - Prop Shaft Grinding?

mikiek
04-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Hey everyone - I'm a noob to the RC speedboat world - been doing RC sailing for some time. This may well end up being a noob question.

Just got my Zelos this week - my first speedboat. I was going over things and happened to spin a prop with my finger. I would have expected a very smooth rotation but that's not what's happening. I can feel sort of a bumping, maybe back in the shaft. It's very regular, about 20 bumps per rotation of the prop. Both props do it. Haven't made any adjustments or taken anything apart yet.

I don't know if this is normal. It was a surprise to me.

Mxkid261
04-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you are just feeling the magnets in the motors.

mikiek
04-19-2017, 05:04 PM
It may well be. I was just expecting the rotation to be smooth. I've seen a few posts where people burned up a shaft after a few runs. Didn't want to become another victim of that.

fweasel
04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
:bounce: I guess your sailboats weren't equipped with an iron jib. I get it, brusless motors are a new ting for you. They don't spin smooth, in fact, if they do, then you have a problem. Binding in the driveline can be an issue. Properly align your motors and motor mounts so the flexcable slips in and out of the collet with the least amount of deflection. Cut your teflon liners back against the brass stuffing tube to limit additional pressure and misalignment.

mikiek
04-19-2017, 05:43 PM
fweasel - you nailed it. This is my first RC experience with anything that goes faster than a snail. Thanks for the feedback. I need all I can get right now.