View Full Version : The new Swordfish'

srislash
04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
I just caught this and thought you guys should be in the know

http://www.hifei.com/copy-of-swordfish-esc

Shawn

Jamey
04-19-2017, 12:29 PM
That is great to see. Looks similar in size to the previous non-"Lite" version but with the benefit of the wires coming out of the ends rather than the bottom and only a single pair of power wires. I hope they improved the cooling. Curious to see if there was a price increase.

properchopper
04-19-2017, 01:28 PM
:popcorn2:

Tamelesstgr
04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
So Seaking recently revamped their marine 120 and 160 offerings, Swordfish now treating Marine with some love, word is Castle is also working on Marine ESC's! I'd still love to give an MGM controller a try.

kfxguy
08-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Has anyone used one yet? I just ordered a 220 from the ose store. I'm going to put it into a sport running Rivercat I'm building. If no one reports back I may have this boat done soon so I'll report on it. May start a new thread

Mxkid261
08-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Has anyone used one yet? I just ordered a 220 from the ose store. I'm going to put it into a sport running Rivercat I'm building. If no one reports back I may have this boat done soon so I'll report on it. May start a new thread

You should start a new thread Im very anxious to see how it works for you. I want one but am hesitant to try them before others do Lol.

kfxguy
08-15-2017, 02:45 PM
You should start a new thread Im very anxious to see how it works for you. I want one but am hesitant to try them before others do Lol.

I will. Just got an email it shipped. This ought to be a pretty fun boat, too bad I have to sell it.

Mxkid261
08-15-2017, 02:49 PM
I will. Just got an email it shipped. This ought to be a pretty fun boat, too bad I have to sell it.

Don't you have one more rivercat you've been holding onto for yourself? Or did you dump them all? I don't think I'll ever sell mine but it was the first boat I built from scratch Lol. What motor in the one you're building?

kfxguy
08-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Don't you have one more rivercat you've been holding onto for yourself? Or did you dump them all? I don't think I'll ever sell mine but it was the first boat I built from scratch Lol. What motor in the one you're building?

I have three right now. One is the sport one almost done. My fast one and a bare hull. I have a 1770kv tp 4060 I might be putting in it. Not 100% certain just yet but that's the plan. It's going to be trimmed in blue. Blue hatch, blue epoxy, blue servo and be carbon wrap on the motor cooler

Erroneous
08-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Very curious about these myself. They are sexy. I just hope they work well and are reliable. In a RC world where you need two and buy three, we need more dependable electronics. We also need a 8s 220-250a for some headroom.

CraigP
08-15-2017, 07:54 PM
They make 'em, but they ain't small, or cheap! Used for larger boats. I think that gas has the advantage over electric in bigger boats. Our batt technology is stretching it anyway on 41" and bigger. I'm running the SW150a, rated to 12s. With the smaller boats, you can drop the current when increasing volts and make batts run a bit longer. It just depends how you want to make your watts!

CraigP
08-15-2017, 07:56 PM
FYI, want more reliability, drop the current. That's what breaks parts... use volts to make your watts

photohoward1
08-15-2017, 08:15 PM
I disagree totally. Big boats. Big Motors and controllers. 10s for racing. My XXX Mono kicks the gassers butts in a race. 8 laps thats all I need full out.

They make 'em, but they ain't small, or cheap! Used for larger boats. I think that gas has the advantage over electric in bigger boats. Our batt technology is stretching it anyway on 41" and bigger. I'm running the SW150a, rated to 12s. With the smaller boats, you can drop the current when increasing volts and make batts run a bit longer. It just depends how you want to make your watts!

CraigP
08-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Photo, isn't it really expensive? I agree an electric boat will always out accelerate a gas boat. I'm making my statements not to the die hard racer, but the guy that just wants a fast sport boat. If your racing, then all bets are off on safety tolerances. I'm trying to help the guy that doesn't want to break a bunch of parts. Racers don't need my help, at all! But that doesn't mean that sport boaters don't count.

srislash
08-15-2017, 09:54 PM
C'mon Lithium Air batteries!!! Perhaps we can lighten the load.

Erroneous
08-15-2017, 10:49 PM
8s in the new trim. The 300s weigh in at 490g :ohmy:

CraigP
08-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Yeah, switching amps ain't easy!

Dragon-Fly
08-16-2017, 03:32 PM
The weight is about 370g which I have measured!

kfxguy
08-16-2017, 04:04 PM
The weight is about 370g which I have measured!

300 or 220? The 300 is listed at 490 lol

MadProps
08-16-2017, 04:37 PM
I ordered a 220 from OSE a couple days ago....I just blew a seaking and was in need but the integrated data logger is what caught my attention

photohoward1
08-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Photo, isn't it really expensive? I agree an electric boat will always out accelerate a gas boat. I'm making my statements not to the die hard racer, but the guy that just wants a fast sport boat. If your racing, then all bets are off on safety tolerances. I'm trying to help the guy that doesn't want to break a bunch of parts. Racers don't need my help, at all! But that doesn't mean that sport boaters don't count.

I agree. A flier at 200-300 is considered cheap for 10-12s. A 240 swordfish would work too. No problem sporting at 50+ on those and a nice 40+" hull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigP
08-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Raise that batt voltage and prop down, watch those amps drop. I'm recommending higher voltage setups to folks because running lower amps is the sure ticket to really slow up breaking expensive parts. But you have to be disciplined and use data logging to set your power draw. You can make a very reliable boat if you follow thru with that game plan. The racers are in a tough position. Class rules restrict your batt voltage, which drives your current up and puts ESC's, motors and batteries at greater risk. If you have a boat, using 250amps at 4s, then you can run 8s and halve your current! But you have to change the motor and prop to yield a speed result similar to the original setup. But anyway you slice it, the 125a is much safer than 250...

Dragon-Fly
08-17-2017, 02:31 PM
It is the X plus 300, measured again = exactly 395g!
I will try it at the Munich SAW (September 21-24) in my Vector 45 with a TP5840s/4Y at 6s and 8s . I burnt 3 other escapes this year and I hope this one keeps alive.

kfxguy
08-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Got my 220 in yesterday. Built much better than the older one. The circuit boards look different too so it seems to be a fresh design. The whole case is aluminum. The circuit boards are epoxy coated. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

srislash
08-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Got my 220 in yesterday. Built much better than the older one. The circuit boards look different too so it seems to be a fresh design. The whole case is aluminum. The circuit boards are epoxy coated. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Sounds good Trav, hopefully a solid unit

Bp9145
08-18-2017, 12:49 PM

That's good to hear. I just hope it's as good as it looks. As you know, looks can be deceiving. Maybe if a lot of us write to them if we ship back our older failed SF escs, they can give us credit towards purchasing the new versions. . .wouldn't that be nice. . .:smile:

kfxguy
08-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Well unfortunately I haven't run it yet. Oddly it won't fit in my Rivercat but will fit in a mini Rivercat lol. The reason is the depth of the hatch rail is much deeper on the 32". I ended up putting a raider 150 esc in the Rivercat for now. I'll put the sf220 in my mini, it may not get built for a few weeks as I have other stuff on the work bench needing finishing first.

jim82
01-26-2018, 03:52 PM
How well are these working out?

srislash
01-27-2018, 08:45 AM
How well are these working out?

I am curios too. I haven’t even got to run my old SW 300’s.

kfxguy
01-28-2018, 01:42 PM
I put it in my mini but the weather hasn’t allowed me to run it yet. I probably could have gone to the small end of the lake and tested it but I’ve just been to busy. I have three boats awaiting maiden and testing voyages.

srislash
01-28-2018, 03:37 PM
I put it in my mini but the weather hasn’t allowed me to run it yet. I probably could have gone to the small end of the lake and tested it but I’ve just been to busy. I have three boats awaiting maiden and testing voyages.

C’mon weather!!! Travis needs a LAKE DAY!

nitrous8e
01-31-2018, 03:39 PM
i have been trying to download to my pc the NEW Swordfish X+ 220A ESC with Data Logging : 2s-6s lipo ESC with no luck at all i am using windows 8 the links i have seen only give a instruction sheet on what the esc is capable of i found 1 link that does nothing an help with a detailed software install would be helpful i am sure this question will pop up again HELP!!