PDA

View Full Version : Cut off at full throttle?

Dragon
11-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Guys, I have a strange issue with my boat. I bought it used, and modified. I've been putting it back to stock...

So my latest change was to put the stock, plastic prop back on. The one that it had on it was smaller, about 1/4 inch around smaller. It ran fine with that prop, but seemed to cavitate a ton. If it wasn't a smooth launch, it would just grind without going too fast. I had to let off the throttle, let it settle back in the water then go it, and it was fine. So I thought I'd try the stock, larger prop, thinking that the larger prop would dig into the water better.
:help:
However, right away what I found is that at full throttle it cuts off. Whether I grab full throttle at once, or ease into it, it cuts off. Once I let back to about 2/3 throttle it kicks back on again. With the other prop I got the same thing once I’ve been running for 10 minutes, and I’m thinking that maybe the ESC is set for LIPO… I don’t have a programmer. Could it be that with the larger prop, it’s drawing too much from my NIMHs to kick on the LIPO cut-off even with a full charge? Or is maybe something else going on?

JimClark
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
you don't need a lipo cutoff for NIMH batteries get the programmer

Dragon
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Yea... gotta get me one. But is that's what causing the cut off you think? It's not overloading anything... like a thermal cut-off or something. Not that it would be thermal based, the water is near freezing.

crazzy maxx
11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
this ? has been asked amillion times. ihad the problem a quick run fix is to turn everyhting on w/ the batterys diconnected and hold full throutel and plug in the batters still holding full throttle.
and ur batterys may not be powerfull enough...

Dragon
11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
this ? has been asked amillion times. ihad the problem a quick run fix is to turn everyhting on w/ the batterys diconnected and hold full throutel and plug in the batters still holding full throttle.
and ur batterys may not be powerfull enough...

This action resets the ESC then? The batteries are a pair of 3,300 NIMH. Hopefully they have enough umff...

My appologies for not finding one of the other 999,999 posts with this information. I must have been searching for the wrong thing.

Thx.

Dragon
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
<doh... double post. stupid browser!>

rockwerks
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
This action resets the ESC then? The batteries are a pair of 3,300 NIMH. Hopefully they have enough umff...

My appologies for not finding one of the other 999,999 posts with this information. I must have been searching for the wrong thing.

Thx.

what are the batteries rated at for discharge? the C rating? they might not be able to supply enough juice. what brand are they?

VKGT
11-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Mine was cutting off also but I am running a 6s setup (2x 3s). I got the programmer and set it to the 40%-80% setting and now it's perfect

Dragon
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
My battery configuration and brand is 12-GP 3300 sub-Cs.

It sounds like my problem is simply the cut-off on the ESC... larger prop=more load=more amp draw=voltage drop=cut-off. I've got the programmer on order, but in the mean time (on the weekend if the water is not frozen), I'll try the instructions from crazzy_maxx on how to reset the settings.

Thanks everyone.