PDA

View Full Version : new to fast electrics. asking for some advice....

vinnyp
04-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Hello,
I first would like to introduce myself and a brief background. I am from Long Island New York. I recently joined this forum. I am new to rc boats. I have been into full size fast power boats for a very long time. In fact, I own 27' Checkmate powered by a 572 cu in Chevrolet that I built and rigged myself. I also work in a boat yard as a mechanic. I am finding this hobby very interesting as things that effect a full sized boat, effect these rc boats just the same. Pretty cool stuff going on here.
I recently purchased an AquaCraft Motley Crew. The only thing I added is a Grim Racer 42mm x 55mm beryllium prop. Reading some threads from here, I just ordered an updated flex cable and an octura m445. I am not looking to get too crazy with mods. However, as with all of us, the desire for more speed has bitten me once again. I have been looking at upgrading the stock AquaCraft 1800 kv motor, for AquaCrafts 2030 kv motor. Would this be a decent upgrade? If properly set up, how much faster would the 2030 motor be over the 1800? Would my stock ESC handle this motor?
Thanks for any assistance....Looking forward to hanging around here and learning about fast electrics.

T.S.Davis
04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
"upgrade" might not be the right word. More rpm per volt but it's not a better motor than the 1800. The 1800 can take more prop before it gets all pissed off. A concept that isn't likely foreign to you. You could get a little more mph out of the 2030 but not tons.

The Motley can take more RPM but if your looking to actually "upgrade" you should think about swapping brands of motor. Maybe try a TP3630 1950kv. Or a similar Leopard motor . The numbers for the TP are very similar under load to a AQ 2030 but the quality is better and it's less likely to fail if you guess wrong on the prop. Same thing here though. You're going to only get moderately faster.

There is also a risk pushing a motley too hard. It's only thin glass. Eventually you end up exceeding the threshold of what it can take if it flips. They're pretty good boats out of the box but they're only so much they can take.

zooma
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Hi vinnyp

Don't know where you live on LI. There is an active club at Eisenhower Park in Westbury. There may still be some activity at Artist Lake in Middle Island.

vinnyp
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will take your advice when deciding which way to go with this. I totally understand about over powering the hull. I don't want to do that, just like a full size boat. You cant make a Bayliner go fast if you want to live to tell about it.

vinnyp
04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
zooma,
Thanks. I didn't know about that. I am close to Eisenhower Park. Would not have thought the park would allow rc boats in the pond.

T.S.Davis
04-04-2017, 12:30 PM
You cant make a Bayliner go fast if you want to live to tell about it.

Oh man, EXACTLY! I hate to sound like a negative Nancy when responding to these. Sounds like you have the idea.

Some guys like to just keep throwing ponies in. That can be fun too. Don't get me wrong. We've all done it but they started out designed to go X miles per hour. The design stops working at some point.

Shooter
04-04-2017, 01:01 PM
they started out designed to go X miles per hour. The design stops working at some point.

I don't think you'd here that kind of loser talk from the Hobby Master!!! Owner/Driver of the world's most heavily modified UL-1.

T.S.Davis
04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Yeah, he's got half a tool box taped to the front end of that thing.

Checkmateguy01
04-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the world of FE R/C boating from a fellow Checkmate owner!! Sounds like a sweet set-up in your 'Mate, 270 Convincor? I can't offer much help on the Motley Crew as i've never run one before, but these guy's are right, i'd go with a "better" motor but not much more KV. Good luck, FE is fun hobby, and one boat will lead to 2...3...

vinnyp
04-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Yes, I do own a 270 Convincor. It has all the crazy things necessary to quench that insatiable desire we have. Big power, complete with a data logger, SCX drive, etc..... What kind of C'Mate are your running?
Thanks for the tip on the electric motor set up. Looks like I will be upgrading to a Leopard motor / ESC combo when I am ready to do this .

Checkmateguy01
04-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Cool, i have an '86 21' Enchanter with a 350/Alpha 1, pretty common set-up lol. 383 is the plan down the road when the 350 gets tired. I'm upstate in the Finger Lakes region, Keuka Lake, which is where i run the 'Mate and all my R/C's!

vinnyp
04-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Cool.. I do a lot of repowers here. If I can offer any assistance let me know, I will be glad to help out. I run mine on the south shore of long island.

zooma
04-04-2017, 07:54 PM
zooma,
Thanks. I didn't know about that. I am close to Eisenhower Park. Would not have thought the park would allow rc boats in the pond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQIK1QYKStQ

T.S.Davis
04-05-2017, 06:20 AM
FE is fun hobby, and one boat will lead to 2...3...

Clearly a typo. 1 boat leads to 23.

jaike5
04-05-2017, 07:28 AM
lol, I'm at 12, one not built and two on order...

T.S.Davis
04-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Amateur.

jaike5
04-05-2017, 08:23 AM
I know, I gotta pick it up !! A delegate balance with Deb ! that's where the expertise comes out to shine :w00t:

fweasel
04-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Amateur.
:laugh: