PDA

View Full Version : Newby Help Please

Defenderjosh
03-29-2017, 02:08 PM
So second time outing with my impulse 31, was running fine for around 5 minutes, then lost all drive, got it back to shore and prop was missing, seems that my drive shaft has snapped losing my dog drive, prop and nut :( what would cause this? I greased the shaft after my first outing. Many thanks in advance, also any good places to order new parts in the UK? Many thanks

NativePaul
03-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Does it have a teflon liner? if not it will need regreasing before every run, if so it wants oil not grease.

Did you leave a gap between the drive dog and the strut to allow for the flex winding up under load? The rule of thumb is to leave as big a gap as the diameter of the flex.

Most RTRs are assembled as quickly as possible by people that don't run boats to get the lowest tender for buisness and maximum profit for the company making them, which is often on a different continent to the company with their name on the box and reputation on the line. There could be a misalignment in the stuffing tube putting great stress on the flex between the tube and the coupler, the tube and the strut, or a tight bend in the tube, check it before running again. It could have just been made poorly on a friday afternoon, or with substandard materials. While you are at it, give a tug on anything glued in to make sure sufficient glue was used, and back off all the fasteners that aren't nylocks, applying threadlock before re-tightening, many RTRs save a penny or 2 by skimping on glue or skipping the threadlock.

I get my flexies from Tony Ellis at Model Marine Supplies in Devon, Prestwich Models, and Ian's Boats also sell them in the UK. if you get more into it and have a big order, OSE can work out well despite the shipping, import duty and postal import duty fees, props especially are much cheaper there than in the UK.

Where in the UK are you?

fweasel
03-29-2017, 05:28 PM
The flex cable snapped, meaning there was a piece of it left attached to the motor collet when you got the boat back to shore? If the entire thing went missing, I suspect the collet was not tight enough and the cable simply slipped out.

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 04:36 AM
The flex cable snapped, meaning there was a piece of it left attached to the motor collet when you got the boat back to shore? If the entire thing went missing, I suspect the collet was not tight enough and the cable simply slipped out.

Yes there was some still attached to collet, it snapped just before it exits the hull

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 05:34 AM
Does it have a teflon liner? if not it will need regreasing before every run, if so it wants oil not grease.

Did you leave a gap between the drive dog and the strut to allow for the flex winding up under load? The rule of thumb is to leave as big a gap as the diameter of the flex.

Most RTRs are assembled as quickly as possible by people that don't run boats to get the lowest tender for buisness and maximum profit for the company making them, which is often on a different continent to the company with their name on the box and reputation on the line. There could be a misalignment in the stuffing tube putting great stress on the flex between the tube and the coupler, the tube and the strut, or a tight bend in the tube, check it before running again. It could have just been made poorly on a friday afternoon, or with substandard materials. While you are at it, give a tug on anything glued in to make sure sufficient glue was used, and back off all the fasteners that aren't nylocks, applying threadlock before re-tightening, many RTRs save a penny or 2 by skimping on glue or skipping the threadlock.

I get my flexies from Tony Ellis at Model Marine Supplies in Devon, Prestwich Models, and Ian's Boats also sell them in the UK. if you get more into it and have a big order, OSE can work out well despite the shipping, import duty and postal import duty fees, props especially are much cheaper there than in the UK.

Where in the UK are you?
Thank you for the advise, I did check over it before hand and greased, it has a liner and the instructions recommend marine grease, so I did this before it's first use and second, it snapped just as it leaves the hull, I'm in Leeds west Yorkshire

fweasel
03-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Then that's leaves us with a proper gap between the strut and drive dog. Did you set it up around 3-5mm?

NativePaul
03-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Where abouts do you run? There are clubs with active fast electric sections fairy close to you in Bury (http://bmmmsuk.yolasite.com/) north Manchester, or the one I frequent in Bridlington (http://www.bridmodelboats.co.uk/) with the best boating lake in the country and where all the FE racing in the north is. I would recommend taking the boat and broken flex down to one of those clubs on a Sunday when you are likely to find friendly fellow FE boaters that can check it over with an experienced eye and tell you if there are any issues that you may need to sort out before installing a new one. Not this Sunday in Bury though as there is a race in Bridlington, and all the Bury FE folk will be there, come along to get your boat checked out, and we will see if we can get you hooked on racing at the same time.

Failing that, take as many photos as you can and post them here. While it is much easier to spot issues in the flesh, it may be of help.

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Just run at yeadon tarn atm as its 5 minutes up the road, also off to check Rawdon boat club I think as same distance. I'll get some pictures and upload them and see what you think to it, it doesn't seem bad but there maybe something I'm missing! Oh brill yes I might have to have a bob along there's 4-5 of us that have just got into boats but all beginners.

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Then that's leaves us with a proper gap between the strut and drive dog. Did you set it up around 3-5mm?
Yes I checked before I first ran the boat and again after I regressed the shaft seemed okay

Newboater
03-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Did you happen to use reverse on the boat at all? It may have just been a poorly built flex cable. If boat is new contact Horizon Hobby maybe they will supply you a new flex cable set-up. Also make sure there is no binding or excessive slop on the 3/16 shaft coming out of the strut.

NativePaul
03-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Oh brill yes I might have to have a bob along there's 4-5 of us that have just got into boats but all beginners.

Road trip! Do come along, it is great fun, but even if for some reason you see it and think it is not for you, there is a lot to be learned from it that any of you that don't come will be missing out on. racing starts at about 9:30 and ends at about 5:00. Hot food and refreshments will be available.

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Did you happen to use reverse on the boat at all? It may have just been a poorly built flex cable. If boat is new contact Horizon Hobby maybe they will supply you a new flex cable set-up. Also make sure there is no binding or excessive slop on the 3/16 shaft coming out of the strut.

Yes I did reverse just before it happened! Maybe it was badly built, it seem to have gone where the flex part goes into the solid if that makes sense

Mxkid261
03-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a poorly built flex. You could try contacting horizon even if the boat isn't new, their customer service is excellent. They very well might give you a replacement cable, but I would just get an upgrade cable if I were you.

http://offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-cable-impulse31-v3

Defenderjosh
03-30-2017, 03:44 PM
I'll give them a message and see what they can do, it is new not had 2 packs through it yet, although I have ordered a upgraded one from ose but went for the .187 one instead hope it will be a lot better than standard and last for longer.

Mxkid261
03-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Perfect the 3/16 cable is a much better option. You will have to remove the liner in the stuffing tube, and grease your cable every run.

Newboater
03-30-2017, 04:57 PM
You need to be careful with reverse as it is very hard on the cable most Fast electrics don't use reverse. Make sure you don't go fast forward to reverse or you might break another cable as there is no pause in between the functions.

TRUCKPULL
03-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Just hitting the brake from a good speed can take out a cable.
The force of the water trying to turn the prop backwards can end up in a lost prop or a broken cable.
Ask me how I know.

Larry

fweasel
03-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

TRUCKPULL
03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
How do you know?

Years ago I got a Custom 447/3 from Props 4U, first run after the boat was up to full speed, I realized I was out of pond room. Hit the brake and turned the rudder. Boat was dead in the water, you could hear the motor running. I thought the collet had slipped.
Got the boat back, broken cable.
New prop -$50.00, cable -$25.00, drive dog - $3.00
All in 10 sec.

Since that I turn the brake down to the lowest setting that I can on all my ESC's,

Larry

Beaux
04-05-2017, 08:22 AM
I think OSE offers a cable for this boat may be a better quality.

Newboater
04-05-2017, 09:49 AM
I think OSE offers a cable for this boat may be a better quality.

I have an Impulse 31 V3 with the Voracity 1650kv and a 1915 prop and have not had any issues with stock flex cable so far.

fweasel
04-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I have an Impulse 31 V3 with the Voracity 1650kv and a 1915 prop and have not had any issues with stock flex cable so far.
wow, that's the setup I ran in my Voracity late last season. What kind of speeds were you seeing with the smaller hull?

Newboater
04-05-2017, 10:26 AM
I didn't GPS with this prop but the 1814 ran 53mph. Figure mid to upper 50's. I have the boat set up on the wet side and the handling is really good no prop steer or torque roll. will GPS it when the weather gets better.