PDA

View Full Version : MGM Back Data Transfer

Pilot-Werx
03-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience with integrating back data telemetry with a transmitter/reliever?

RaceMechaniX
03-04-2017, 11:09 PM
With an MGM controller? No, but yes with a Castle controller and Futaba radio.

Pilot-Werx
03-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Castle and Futaba have got it worked out. Graupner also does too with their own escs and it works really well. Telemetry between an MGM controller and anything seems to be a mystery.

longballlumber
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
With an MGM controller? No, but yes with a Castle controller and Futaba radio.

??? what controller and TX are you using? I know there is some capability, but didn't think it translated well to boating.

RaceMechaniX
03-05-2017, 12:01 PM
I believe most of the MGM data is used for their industrial line of controllers. I have connected a laptop to the controllers to monitor in bench testing, but never in a boat.

longballlumber
03-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I believe most of the MGM data is used for their industrial line of controllers. I have connected a laptop to the controllers to monitor in bench testing, but never in a boat.

Sorry, I was referencing your comment about telemetry between castle and futaba. I need to go back and do some more reading.

Later,
Ball

Lone-Wolf
03-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I would contact MGM directly, I find them to be really helpful and fluent in English, I think "Martin" is the guy you'll end up talking too. I know it can be done, have seen vid's of guys in Germany using telemetry with MGM equipped SAW boats.

I'm interested in this feature as well so will be watching with interest.

Pilot-Werx
03-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Castle has an adapter that links their ESC to futaba via s-bus in order to provide live esc telemetry on the transmitter.

I am fairly certain that an MGM esc can interface with the Graupner HoTT system, but I have not heard back from MGM yet. What is nice about HoTT is that you can also link their gps sensor to the transmitter to provide live speed.

T.S.Davis
03-06-2017, 09:09 AM
I have a question about live telemetry.

How the heck can you drive and look at it? I'm not that good. 15 second laps give or take. So maybe a 4 second straight away. If I look down long enough to understand what I see I've crashed.

longballlumber
03-06-2017, 10:02 AM
I have a question about live telemetry.

How the heck can you drive and look at it? I'm not that good. 15 second laps give or take. So maybe a 4 second straight away. If I look down long enough to understand what I see I've crashed.

Don't disagree. However, we have already seen on my Futaba system how measuring motor temp "live" can tell us a whole lot! Most importantly; how much the heat can rise from the time the boat stops moving until you can either force cool or air cool. Temp rises quite a bit.

I think the advantage of this technology is the ability to see some "averages" over a run without the need to plug into a computer and download after ever run.

RaceMechaniX
03-06-2017, 10:59 AM
On heat race boats I only use the telemetry function as a warning. i.e. motor or controller temp too hot or voltage getting too low. As Mike pointed out it is helpful to know how hot a motor is directly after a run instead of 30 seconds later when it comes in.

On SAW boats you can see how near the edge you are before it gets a little too toasty.

Todd Fleury
03-06-2017, 03:43 PM
MGM works with the graupner system

T.S.Davis
03-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Doesn't the telemetry record the data? Isn't there a max temp you can review instead of watching it on the rx until you get the boat opened up? Knowing that has value but I'm not glancing down at amperage when I'm coming out of turn 4 in P sport. Something bad will happen for me.

The effort it take for me to use real time telemetry vs the data I get seems out of proportion. Don't get me wrong. More data = better decision making. I get it. The temps are of value. Just feels like having the ability to check these things real time is impractical. If your speedo is right you don't need alerts about temps and voltage. It does it's job and you don't kill stuff. In theory at least.

Todd Fleury
03-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Terry, you are right. But the real time data works with the graupner telemetry connections.

Pilot-Werx
03-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Martin and I shared a few emails back and forth today. Their back data transfer works with the HoTT and MZK system only.

I am not sure how useful it will be while running, but I have always found it beneficial to have real time data. It is easier and faster to make changes without having to connect to a PC. All of my stuff, with the exception of my quads, run futaba so I am not that thrilled to stray away from what I know, but I figured this might be a fun experiment. And to be honest, the futaba sensors cost is kind of ridiculous. I think their gps sensor alone is $199 and will not work with surface radios.

If noting else, my inner geek wants to give it a shot, including a gps sensor that displays on the transmitter screen.