PDA

View Full Version : Best epoxy to pour into bow?

fweasel
02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
I've read enough to know this is a good idea, but could not find specific epoxy types being used and it what quantities. Will a 30min epoxy like PT39 do the job? How much should I pour in? I was thinking somewhere between 3 and 6oz into a 36" mono hull.

785boats
02-13-2017, 01:24 AM
When I've done it, l used epoxy laminating resin. But I also chop up some fiberglass mat & poke down in there too. Then give it a good prodding with a stick to get it well wetted.
Makes it stronger & lighter than just epoxy.

Mxkid261
02-13-2017, 08:44 AM
I also use epoxy resin with a little chopped cloth stirred in. I put the bow of the boat in a bucket of cold water while it cures too, Ive had the sponson tips on cats kind of deform from the heat of the epoxy

fweasel
02-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks, PT40 finishing resin it is. I've got plenty of carbon mat left over. When you say chop, just cut it into pieces with a scissors? Is my end goal medium stands or tiny little fibers? And what's a reasonable thickness/height of the pour into the hull?

Mxkid261
02-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Check out post #3 in Travis mono thread, this is how I do it. I'm sure others are a little more accurate Lol I just cut up a little cloth or carbon with my shears like he does and mix it in. I would say 4 oz would be enough, this on your voracity hull? Looks like he mixed at least that much for his kbb mono, but that was for the seams. Not sure if he put any in the bow but I'm sure he did

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56242-Project-VooDoo-mono-build

TheShaughnessy
02-13-2017, 02:08 PM
I did my geico like this recently, I dumped in a one pump mix of west systems with the fast hardener which is 25 grams and I put 8 g of chopped up carbon fibers, I had cloth so i folded it about 6 times, or even just roll it up and then cut small sections and let them fall into a cup, it can get itchy quick so i'd suggest covering up. I did that in each tip of a geico and spread a little bit into the section between the two tips. Adds weight but I feel sorry for anybody that crosses me up this race season because those tips are SOLID.

I dont see why pt40 wouldn't work, i'd warm it a bit if you are in a cooler climate, it gets fairly viscous when cold and doesn't flow nearly as well.

Shooter
02-13-2017, 05:33 PM
I put 3/4 to 1oz in each sponson tip of all my boats. West Systems w/206 slow hardener (slower cure avoids the heat problems mentioned by Mxkid above).

TheShaughnessy - Definitely solid!! I went right THROUGH another boat a few years ago and I came out smelling like a rose! Not even a scratch. Who says wood boats aren't strong???!!

fweasel
02-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Okay, thanks for everyone's input. I mixed up 4oz of Zap PT40 finishing resin and cut up a 2" x 1" piece of 2x2 carbon mat. I warmed the resin first on top of an amplifier in the rack next to my bench and it poured nicely into the mixing cup, but as soon as I started mixing it with the carbon, it thickened up. It was still workable, but next time I will heat it even more before mixing. poured the entire cup into the bow of my Voracity and propped the hull up in place. I was on a roll, so I mixed up three more 1oz cups for my Zelos. I poured one in each sponson tip and the third over the deck seam between the two tips. The thickness actually helped me to keep the pour on the deck seam from draining down into the tips. Propped up that hull and I'm done for the night.

ray schrauwen
02-13-2017, 10:27 PM
I put 3/4 to 1oz in each sponson tip of all my boats. West Systems w/206 slow hardener (slower cure avoids the heat problems mentioned by Mxkid above).

TheShaughnessy - Definitely solid!! I went right THROUGH another boat a few years ago and I came out smelling like a rose! Not even a scratch. Who says wood boats aren't strong???!!

That was funny... for you. lol...

Tamelesstgr
02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Get'R'Done

fweasel
02-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Get'R'DoneAll this warm weather has me convinced I need to be ready for the water sooner than later!

Mxkid261
02-14-2017, 08:50 AM
All this warm weather has me convinced I need to be ready for the water sooner than later!

Ya suppose to be 50 around here this weekend. I'm ready for the ice to melt

Darin Jordan
02-14-2017, 09:57 AM
BE CAREFUL pouring in TOO Much epoxy all at once. It gets REALLY HOT when it cures, especially in large quantities, and will cause the hull to deform some wherever it's touching.

Ask me how I know... :doh:

Mxkid261
02-14-2017, 10:45 AM
BE CAREFUL pouring in TOO Much epoxy all at once. It gets REALLY HOT when it cures, especially in large quantities, and will cause the hull to deform some wherever it's touching.

Ask me how I know... :doh:

Ya I found out the hard way too lol a bucket of water seems to help