PDA

View Full Version : Any professional plumbers here? Need an education!

Doug Smock
02-09-2017, 11:09 AM
I need my water service line replaced. What is the downside to having the old Poly line split and a new one pulled in?

Thanks

detox
02-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Plumbers motto: Hot water on the left, cold water on the right and doo doo does not flow up hill.:biggrin:

I hope you fixed your problem.

Doug Smock
02-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Sure did. Tks.

runzwithsizorz
03-14-2017, 12:10 PM
I need my water service line replaced. What is the downside to having the old Poly line split and a new one pulled in?

Thanks
Just now saw this Doug, I'm a retired plumber, among other things. Why must it need replacing? How old is it? The supply line is PVC, or copper, not "poly", but I knew what you meant. I do not know what you mean by "line split". Who has made this recommendation? There are small trackers that pull pipe aprox. 16" deep, but are rarely used for small lots. How far from the meter to your house? Sometimes the meter can be in the house(?). Does the main line enter into a basement? I take it you had it fixed, what was done?
Regards, Todd

Doug Smock
03-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Hey Todd.

Yes this was the old blue Polybutylene that there was a class action lawsuit over. The wall of that stuff was very thin and this was the third time I had to repair it. It developed pin hole leaks. This last time there were six or eight in a square 1/2" area, kind of strange. Water line was approx. 90' long and 40+''deep.:blink:

What they did was expose the water line at each end. They used a fish tape to pull in a 3/8" aircraft cable. They connected a line splitter and this deal that looked like a heavy duty spring type cord restraint that the new line was pushed up into. Then Statewide Wrecker Service was used to pull the splitter and new waterline through the old one. Pretty trick way to do it and minimal digging. Here is a video of the process less the wrecker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcmB1hW4QY

dasboata
03-16-2017, 08:38 AM
so if you using plastic pipe how does the house get grounded to the water service ?

fweasel
03-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Grounding the electrical system to the water main is only one option. You can simply drop a 6' ground rod into the earth at the electrical meter and clamp to that.

dasboata
03-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Grounding the electrical system to the water main is only one option. You can simply drop a 6' ground rod into the earth at the electrical meter and clamp to that.

in NY we need both water ground and 5/8 x6 ' ground rod

fweasel
05-18-2021, 07:03 PM
Cool, 4yr old plumbing spam :rockon2: