PDA

View Full Version : Help with nitro conversion to electric

johnp5246
02-09-2017, 12:45 AM
So I am brand new to electric. All my past boats were nitro. I have an old catamaran that had an 11 cc motor. I want to convert it to electric. The boat is 34" long, 13 1/2 wide. It weighs roughly 8lbs. What size and type of brushless motor should I get? What size and type of speed controller should I get? I was planning on running dual 3s or dual 2s batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

NativePaul
02-09-2017, 01:34 PM
8lb empty, or 8lb RTR?

Do you want to race, or want the possibility of racing in the future? If not you should go 6s which will run with less amps for the same power.

Is it exactly 34"? 34" is the border line between 4s and 6s classes.

There are many motors and ESCs that will power an 8lb 34" cat. What do you want from the boat in terms of runtime, speed, the type of running you want to do, what is your budget, and what radio do you have?

johnp5246
02-09-2017, 03:09 PM
8lb empty, or 8lb RTR?

Do you want to race, or want the possibility of racing in the future? If not you should go 6s which will run with less amps for the same power.

Is it exactly 34"? 34" is the border line between 4s and 6s classes.

There are many motors and ESCs that will power an 8lb 34" cat. What do you want from the boat in terms of runtime, speed, the type of running you want to do, what is your budget, and what radio do you have?

No racing, just want to go fast. it is exaclty 34". 8lbs with running gear. I think aroung 500 is my budget for motor, esc, and batteries. I dont know if these are realistic numbers but I would like to see 50 mph, maybe ten minutes of runtime, just all around fun. I currently have an old futaba t3pm digital 3 channel with failsafe receivers. I am not opposed to getting a new remote that would work better for this application. The boat had an 8 hp nitro motor that was really fast when it ran. Nitro is so not fun to make run! :frusty: When i finish this boat I have a 48 inch v hull I am also considering to convert.