PDA

View Full Version : Help...Which is the best prop for the BJ 26...

hex-dj
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I have an octura x 640 sharpened and balanced prop with an Ammo 2300 & Fullers hardware. I want to know which prop works best with my motor without it having to be detongued ,but sharpened and balanced only (x 642 or 645?), by the way how do you do the detonguing on a propeller:help:?

Steven Vaccaro
11-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Once you start the with all the mods its hard for someone to tell you whats best. You will have to start testing on your own to get the absolute best prop.

Meniscus
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Egneg? care to chime in?

Hex, I figure that Egneg may have a good idea what you might try.

Why not detongued?

Steven Vaccaro
11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Any one that tells someone "online" that they know the "best" prop for someones boat is not doing that person justice in my opinion. They may be able to come close. But only with testing can someone pick the "best" prop. There are many, many factors to consider. One of which is the water. I have run in different parts of the country where my boats needed different props than the "best" ones I use on my pond. Not sure why.

Avanti
11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
factors that play a part could include
elevation
weather
if there is salt in the water and how much
spring water
cedar water
brackish water
Like Steve said someone with a similar boat can get you close, but only you & your local pond can truly find the best.

hex-dj
11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Okay. I will do the testings myself. I ll also use my new radar gun to measure speeds.Anyone knows someone with almost my same setup so far. I have Ammo,Original ESC, 42 x 55 Grim 2 blade prop, x640, x440,40x 52 /3blades,40 x 53 ...LiPO 4s ,Very very lightweight boat ,scuffed bottom with rudder slightly in to push the bow up a little. Steven,How do you perform the detonguing on a propeller?:unsure::unsure:

hex-dj
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks Avanti and thanks to Steven ....& Meniscus.

Jeff Wohlt
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
With higher KV motors like the 2300 you will want to work on pitch and not so much dia. That motor will need to spin or it will amp out and poof.

640 would be a safe start and like always. Time it and check heat. Also your set up is critcal. Make sure your strut is a couple mm from the bottom of the sponson and move up a little from there. Smaller dia and you can go deeper with the strut if needed. I like my boats running lose so I tend to run the strut a little deeper.

Detonging is just removing the tongue at the lower end of the hub but they need to be the same when you do it. You can make an impression with playdo and work from there. This allows the motor to unload a bit on the lower rpms but also lets it spin a bit more on the top end. The boat will not plan as fast but will jump out once it hits.

hex-dj
11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Jeff. But how many millimeters will have to be removed or is it the whole tongue?

Avanti
11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
maybe obrien will chime in he had a BJ for a while and messed with all kinds of different props with the ammo 2300

egneg
11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks Jeff. But how many millimeters will have to be removed or is it the whole tongue?

Good question as every boat is a bit different as there are so many variables involved. I would start with 2 maybe 3 mm and try that. Look at the M series for what a detongued prop looks like.

hex-dj
11-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Egneg

jlr3rd1
11-12-2008, 09:17 PM
what size shaft is on the blackjack 26 brushless? 3/16 or 4 mm???