PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Michigan Cup

tjcast
01-17-2017, 11:51 PM
This year MMEU will be hosting the 2017 Michigan Cup on Friday June 23 to Sunday June 25.

Open water will be starting at noon on Thursday June 22.

Save these dates on your calendar!! Just want people to be aware of the dates.

This will be an IMPBA event this year :w00t:. Specifics to follow. :popcorn2:

I am working on sign ups.

T.S.Davis
03-01-2017, 01:06 PM
We haven't settled the schedule yet. Tom has already started working on the sign up pages for rcracingevents though.

As is the case with almost every race, if a class (or even classes) don't have any interest we'll make adjustments/fill voids with classes that people want. Keep visiting here to see any adjustments made available.

Attached is the flier.

T.S.Davis
03-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Okay guys. Kevin, Tom and myself got together Friday night to discuss logistics and do a little planning.

I didn't accurately estimate how much people enjoy just watching the scale boats run.

They're back on the list. I still believe the rules are broken and border on foolish. However, that doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't run.

It's on the flier but here's the skinny:

We're going to ignore the registration requirement for all entries.
We're only going to run 4 rounds on a single day.
We are going to require compliance with motor requirement.

We're not doing three qualifiers, a coni, and a final as is required by the book. The qualifying and such might make sense if we had 30 scales. We'll probably see 6. Maybe.

That last one is a sticking point for me but by far the majority of the current boats we're expecting to make an appearance do have motors form the list. In order for the class to remain viable (for now) will require a compromise. This is it. Saturday night maybe Todd and I will have an open palmed slap fight like little girls.

So attached is the new flier and what will be on the IMPBA website. Likely tomorrow knowing Lynne. She's pretty efficient.

Updated flier.

tjcast
03-06-2017, 12:04 AM
We are working on something so ALL class that are running will run 4 rounds. Keep your fingers crossed.

The New and Improved Michigan cup will also be contested!!

3 members per team, each member will select 3 different classes (total of 9 different classes) to accumulate points in for the Cup. Team members can still compete in the same class as another team member but only the one who selects that class will count points for the Cup.

Doug Smock
03-06-2017, 04:49 AM
Nice touch on "The Cup".:thumbup1:

Ken Haines
03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Nice touch on "The Cup".:thumbup1:

That means you are coming to the Michigan Cup this year ?
Don Too ?

T.S.Davis
03-06-2017, 09:04 AM
That means you are coming to the Michigan Cup this year ?
Don Too ?

He has to. He's afraid I'll start texting his wife again.

jaike5
03-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Can't weight for the Saturday night smack down!!
Now that's entertainment!!!
Cheers, Jay.

Todd Fleury
03-06-2017, 09:41 AM
I am going to slap Terry so hard with an open palm, it will be heard round the world

longballlumber
03-06-2017, 10:08 AM
It's on the flier but here's the skinny:

We're going to ignore the registration requirement for all entries.
We're only going to run 4 rounds on a single day.
We are going to require compliance with motor requirement.

That was easy....

TRUCKPULL
03-06-2017, 11:14 AM
I am going to slap Terry so hard with an open palm, it will be heard round the world

Todd

Don't hit him too hard, or too many times, His wife tells me that he likes it.

Larry

tjcast
03-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Doug and Don have to come to make sure I spelled their names right on the Cup!

T.S.Davis
03-06-2017, 12:13 PM
My problem with the motor list is the same as it is with the old limited rules. Never should have named motor manufacturers and model numbers. Built in obsolescence and no hope of evolution or imagination.

We got it wrong in both cases. Hind sight.

Tom, they need to come check the fine print too.

Doby
03-06-2017, 12:22 PM
My problem with the motor list is the same as it is with the old limited rules. Never should have named motor manufacturers and model numbers. Built in obsolescence and no hope of evolution or imagination.

We got it wrong in both cases. Hind sight.

Then take this opportunity to open up the motors as well.

T.S.Davis
03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
That's what started the dispute. The have nots out number the haves.

Doug Smock
03-06-2017, 04:08 PM

This is a race thread. Please take the motor talk elsewhere. Like RCGroups or something. LOL

:cool2:Don and I would love to make the trip again. We had a blast start to finish last go round! We'll have Q Monos that we didn't build at the pond by then too. LOL
I have to wait and see how the $$$ work out. We have a race in Charleston that I (we) really need to attend the 10th.

Note: My 56th birthday is the 21st. Perhaps you all could go in on travel expenses.:laugh::wink:

tjcast
03-07-2017, 08:22 PM
The day you have all been waiting for has finally come . . . . :Praying:

madmikepags
03-15-2017, 01:17 PM
just a thought guys, teres a lot of Q-monos gonna be there, at least 5 or 6 that I can think of just off the top of my head. Just a thought.

T.S.Davis
03-15-2017, 01:55 PM
I predict SV27 will be a bust. Nobody wants to see more of that it seems. We only have one guy that's committed to it anymore. Maybe it will go away and we can jump on Q. I know Don has a brand new Q fleet. We never finished tweaking Tylers Q mono either.

Mikey, don't forget. This race isn't bound by the old un-techable NAMBA mah restrictions. Want to run 200,000 mah in Q? Go for it. Just stay under the weight and size limits and you're in.

We have a verbal commitment from an excellence guy to call the heats for us. I don't want to spill until we have the flight confirmed but the guy is just what we need to get in a full 4 rounds instead of just 3 without losing our minds. I always enjoy bringing someone in. Pretty excited about this one.

ray schrauwen
03-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Weight limits? Can you swing me a link to the rule set so I can try to prepare and not look completely silly. Or just go to IMPBA? Sometimes going over the rule set is like reading legal documents, miss one line and :doh:

madmikepags
03-15-2017, 02:30 PM
well for Q there is me, Tom baffer, tyler, Ray Pressnall, Don, Smock, and thats just off the Top? I'm sure Ken would build a Q????!!!! How bout Ray S dont u have one? Tom cast will get one???? I think it's new cool (Kinda Big Boat) class???? they are fast pretty big and only 6 cells not 10!!!! And guys can run them in Q offshore too!!!

T.S.Davis
03-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Weight limits? Can you swing me a link to the rule set so I can try to prepare and not look completely silly. Or just go to IMPBA? Sometimes going over the rule set is like reading legal documents, miss one line and :doh:

It's 25 pounds with fuel Ray.

T.S.Davis
03-15-2017, 03:01 PM
well for Q there is me, Tom baffer, tyler, Ray Pressnall, Don, Smock, and thats just off the Top? I'm sure Ken would build a Q????!!!! How bout Ray S dont u have one? Tom cast will get one???? I think it's new cool (Kinda Big Boat) class???? they are fast pretty big and only 6 cells not 10!!!! And guys can run them in Q offshore too!!!

No, I get it.

Tyler's Q is very nearly too pretty to race. Tom has one already. He put a ton of work into a Voracity. Really runs nice and predictable. Jeff Burt has a sweet Delta (35?). I'm not saying that's a good thing. haha I have a Careterro still too. Not saying that's a good thing either. That boat is beautiful but a handful to drive.

They're right on the edge of too much for guys to handle IMO but I get it. T mono is cool but holy crap is that some dough. Especially if you run 2P.

madmikepags
03-15-2017, 03:43 PM
well then just add it on Friday, instead of SV!!! DO IT!!!!!

ray schrauwen
03-15-2017, 05:18 PM
It's 25 pounds with fuel Ray.

LOL... thanks... not a worry.

ray schrauwen
03-15-2017, 05:22 PM

I've got a Q sport. It needs some TLC right now but, I hope to have it going soon. I am hopeful to come to Michigan. It depends on a lot of things, funds mainly.

Since it's not NAMBA anymore what is the schedule going to look like? Will it be the same as in the past or is it changing since the jump to IMPBA?

Jay Moffat has a Q sport as well.

Sold my 40" mono long ago, it was a tank.

ray schrauwen
05-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Are you running different classes every day or the same classes each day? Might make it as a spectator. I don't think I could handle 5 days of early mornings at this time at least. Still trying to get full strength back with Physio. If it would just stop raining I could get more exercise.

Miss it a lot... miss you guys.

Trying to get my crap together and stuff built but it's hard to get motivated.

New toy coming soon. Easy spec cat build.

TRUCKPULL
05-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Event Details

** Open Water June 22, 2017**
** Racing June 23-25, 2017**

** Rochester N. Oakland Elks Lodge 2225 **
** 3100 Pond Rd. Leonard, Michigan, 48367 **

> Great venue.
> IMPBA Sanctioned.
> 6 lap sprint heats on a measured 1/6th mile oval.
> Offshore classes are 8 lap heats on Offshore course.
> Open water testing Thursday June 22th starting at noon until 6pm.
> Each class will race 4 heats.
> Awards for top 3 finishers per class!
> Raffle drawing for prizes!
> On site camping permitted. $10.00 per night hook up fee if used!
> On site food and beverage service available.
> Lunches will be available for purchase on site from Mr. B's
> Drivers meeting 8:30am. Racing starts at 9:00am.

> The Michigan Cup will be run under IMPBA rules this year, familiarize yourself with them.

> M-Spec will be run instead of P-Limited.
> Supplemental rules for this event can be found at this link:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56747-Mmeu-2017-supplement-rules

Classes:
Friday:
> MMEU Stock/Spec SV27
> M-Spec Hydro (rigger)
> M-Spec Offshore (LSO)
> P-Cat (sprint)
> P-Mono
> Q-Cat (sprint)
> T-Mono

Saturday:
> M-Spec Cat (sprint)
> M-Spec Sport Hydro
> P-Offshore
> Q-Sport Hydro
> T-Cat
> 8th Scale

Sunday:
> 10th Scale Modern
> 10th Scale Vintage
> M-Spec Mono
> P-Sport Hydro
> Q-Offshore
> T-Hydro

** Classes with less than 3 boat entered by June 17, 2017 will be canceled **

Doby
05-12-2017, 09:13 PM
This is getting closer...where's the trash talk?

Shooter
05-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Doby stinks. How's that? :biggrin:

madmikepags
05-16-2017, 12:15 PM
I took the trash out yesterday?

T.S.Davis
05-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Smells like maple syrup though. Is that a stink really?

jaike5
05-16-2017, 02:35 PM
So doby smells like maple syrup ??

Doby
05-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Terry wants to lather Kanadians in Maple Syrup.....I suspect he has other fetishes as well..

Doug Smock
05-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Terry wants to lather Kanadians in Maple Syrup.....I suspect he has other fetishes as well..

I know he's kind of partial to the smell of meat skins and beer.:huh:

Todd Fleury
05-17-2017, 03:03 PM
I find it not necessary to trash talk since Canadians don't count anyway.

fweasel
05-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Oh they count, but only 75% per

Todd Fleury
05-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Way too generous.

madmikepags
05-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Hey Guys due to a bunch of stuff, I will not be able to make the Cup race this year. Don't know if I will be racing at all anymore but that's another topic altogether. Terry or Tom please call me ASAP about the race, I have ordered and paid for a 20x20 tent to be delivered and set up at the elks lodge from wed thru monday of the race week. Let me know if you guys want it and I'll just leave the rental, it will be my little gift to the race. PEACE

ray schrauwen
05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
I know he's kind of partial to the smell of meat skins and beer.:huh:

....and leather, chaps.... I could go further but I'm being family friendly for the kids.... :smile:

jaike5
05-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Bahaha .... still sore about the points at the CanAm. You couldn't even win when I blocked for you and spun my self out on the last pin so you could take first. Bahahaha your the tool of the day! race on in 1/8th scale this year,and p-hydro, hey your only in two clases, you work'n the retrieve barge ? what about T-cat??
cheers, Jay.

Todd Fleury
05-18-2017, 09:39 AM
P-Mono, 8th scale, P-Sport and 1/10 scale

T.S.Davis
05-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Some years are just like this. Planetary alignment gets in the way.

We're talking through some options/ideas. Stay tuned fellas.

Doby
05-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Hoping more people sign up for this ASAP...right now only 16 each day if you subtract the Pag clan :(

ray schrauwen
05-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Sorry. No funds and no good health. Wendy has health issues too. Possibly make it out to the Can-Am though.

It's been a very rough winter and spring so far.

T.S.Davis
05-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Hoping more people sign up for this ASAP...right now only 16 each day if you subtract the Pag clan :(

We've decided to delete some classes form the list. Scales will still run but we're going to ditch some of the big stuff over Q. Basically anything over Q wont be on the list. Three days 4 rounds. Nice sane pace we think. Off the water at a decent time. Plenty of time to enjoy each others company so to speak.

We'll be shuffling the schedule a bit with the drops. We'll update that shortly. New flier and such.

Also rattling some more cages to see if we can get more people signed up. Might end up a small event. It happens some years as I mentioned. People can't always make it. I can promise all that do make it that a good time will be had.

I always say this.......RC boaters are a special kind of good people. 99% of them at least. Yeah, we're race'n and all that rot. Competition. Rah rah rah. Gogogo. Sure, I love that part. Of course racing matters to some of us but there's so much more to this hobby than just the laps. These events, gas/nitro/FE/rubberband/steam/pickone are a chance to hang out with like minded RC boating lunatics, have some laughs, and actually play with our toy boats. If there's a better way to waste my time than this I've not experienced it.

If you're on the fence about attending or even racing in general................don't be. If not the Cup then find some other event to go to. You wont be sorry. Model boaters are the salt of the earth.

Shooter
05-25-2017, 04:33 PM
I tried to sign up, but Q-Sport Hydro is CLOSED. :sad:

T.S.Davis
05-25-2017, 05:10 PM
We'll get you in Pete. PAGS isn't coming so there will be an opening. Worse case scenario you can have my spot. I'm going to be pretty busy calling heats and such.

photohoward1
05-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Maybe you guys should crunch it to 2 days instead of 3. Saves a hotel day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmikepags
05-25-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm really bummed guys, this is something that I look forward to every year, it is really my favorite 5 days of the year and I am sad that I am not attending. I will be back next year and you can bet on that. I will bring at least 4-5 other racers from my district and I PROMISE that and I will make sure that Steven Vaccaro makes it out too. I'm sorry guys, I will miss you all so much, please have a drink for me on the porch one night.

T.S.Davis
05-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Mike, we may do something different next year. Not less or anything. Just a tic different. Don't worry about not making it too. Sometimes life throws you a slider in the dirt. We get it.

Howard, we talked about crushing it into two days but decided to stick with 3 so that we could run some boats that weren't necessarily our club classes. P mono, P offshore, maybe some Q boats, 1/8 scale. We can also likely pull off 4 rounds instead of 3. Guys will actually get in more racing with the extra round than we had originally planned.

Okay, updated flier attached. Not a lot is changing. Just losing the T classes and changing Q offshore to Q mono.

Oh also, I screwed up the per night fee for camping on site. If you hook up to power and water it's $20 per night. That might sound like a lot but the nearest campground is $34 per night and isn't 14 steps from your pit area. You do the math.

The lodge will be selling us food this time for lunches. They have every kind of fluid you could need so you don't really need to cart a cooler. They also have a fish fry on Friday night after racing and bar type food available Saturday night. Basically you need your boats, your typical gear, and that's about it.

Power is not available unless you are camping and paying the fee. So genies. We do as always have a number of genies running to plug into. We usually have enough to get it done. Bring a cord.

tjcast
05-26-2017, 05:09 PM
T-Cat on Saturday June 24 (Michigan Cup Day 2) WILL run, if all that have already signed up, show up.

I gave Terry some wrong info. Sorry

photohoward1
05-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Yay t cat

ray schrauwen
05-26-2017, 06:32 PM
One of the downers for me even if I could make it is that Wendy doesn't have a truck anymore so I'd just bring less boat like speccy classes.

tjcast
05-26-2017, 06:51 PM
I pulled the trigger too soon!! Both Q-offshore and T-Hydro have enough entrants already to make the class so only dropping the T class on Friday and not adding Q mono on Sunday

jaike5
05-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Yay t cat

Keep your eyes peed for the green hornet

TRUCKPULL
05-28-2017, 12:05 AM
Terry
Race Events.com still shows "Q" Mono on Sunday instead of "Q" Offshore.

Larry

tjcast
05-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Terry

Larry
Fixed that:smile:

tjcast
05-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Just an FYI, we are planning to do 4 rounds in each class! :ohmy:. Currently we will be running 44 heats on Friday and Sunday and 48 heats on Saturday. This will be adjusted as we get later signups.

As a side note we have 12, count them 12, Q sports currently entered!!:w00t:

ray schrauwen
05-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Just an FYI, we are planning to do 4 rounds in each class! :ohmy:. Currently we will be running 44 heats on Friday and Sunday and 48 heats on Saturday. This will be adjusted as we get later signups.

As a side note we have 12, count them 12, Q sports currently entered!!:w00t:

You are killing me! My favorite class of insanity...

Let's see what I can do.

T.S.Davis
05-30-2017, 08:55 AM
You are killing me! My favorite class of insanity...

Let's see what I can do.

That class has gotten crazier Ray. Last Cup I raced Tom's boat instead of mine. I'm too slow with my Whip. How the hell did that happen?

Scrambling to get Ty's new Q sport and P sport done. We're actually having a lot of fun working together on them for a change. I don't know how much he's sponging up but he shocks me all the time with his ideas. Used to just drive me nuts but some of his ideas are dead on so I run with them. Usually starts with "Hey Dad........" and ends with some massive work load. Sunday he told me that if I ripped off some of the skin on the old led sled I could save it.......................dang it!

madmikepags
06-05-2017, 04:57 PM
ugggghhhh this is soooo killing me that I cant go!!!! Q-Sport my favorite friggin class!!!! UGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

TRUCKPULL
06-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Tom

Same thing on the Signup page.

Larry

tjcast
06-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Tom

Same thing on the Signup page.

Larry

Try 1)refreshing your browser, 2) getting a new search engine, 3) be sober when looking at them!

The sign up on Sunday has been for Q Offshore for a while. Shows up as Q Offshore for me.

TRUCKPULL
06-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Today it does, yesterday it did not.

Larry

tjcast
06-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Less than 2 weeks before the Michigan Cup. The Michigan Cup is contested in addition to all other racing. As a reminder, to compete for the Cup you need a team of 3 racers each scoring points in three separate classes. All team members can run in any class but only the team member that selected that class will count points in that class for the Cup.

For example, Otto, Guido and Al are a team. All 3 sign up to run in P-Mono, Guido chooses this class for one of his Michigan Cup classes, Otto and Al can still run in this class but ONLY Guido's points count for his team towards the Michigan Cup even though Otto and / or Al scored higher in the class.

jaike5
06-11-2017, 06:39 PM
That's going to mess Ray up , Can you draw him a picture:banana:

TRUCKPULL
06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Less than 2 weeks before the Michigan Cup. The Michigan Cup is contested in addition to all other racing. As a reminder, to compete for the Cup you need a team of 3 racers each scoring points in three separate classes. All team members can run in any class but only the team member that selected that class will count points in that class for the Cup.

For example, Otto, Guido and Al are a team. All 3 sign up to run in P-Mono, Guido chooses this class for one of his Michigan Cup classes, Otto and Al can still run in this class but ONLY Guido's points count for his team towards the Michigan Cup even though Otto and / or Al scored higher in the class.

Do you get any extra points for a class with 12 boats, then a class with only 6 boats?

Larry

Ken Haines
06-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Is Guido still looking for a 3 man team ?
Hmm, me too....lol

T.S.Davis
06-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Do you get any extra points for a class with 12 boats, then a class with only 6 boats?

Larry

No, that's the Newland high points nationals formula. We don't do that for the cup. I don't think it would help anyway.

What we've found is that it's a bugger for 3 dudes that know each other and race together to cover 9 different classes. 9 classes is a ton of variety to cover. To cover 9 classes it's almost a given that somebody has to cover some crazy tough classes and some class with less entries too. Tyler, Tom, and I will probably pick up spec sport, spec mono, and spec offshore for our team points. Those are some tough classes to stay upright for 4 rounds. Finishing is key to the Cup chase.

T.S.Davis
06-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Is Guido still looking for a 3 man team ?
Hmm, me too....lol

Is Fede running 3 classes? Add one more and you're in.

T.S.Davis
06-12-2017, 09:21 AM
By the way.........

An indication as to how tough it is to win the Michigan Cup...... I've been racing at this silly event for 15 or so years. Been involved in the logistic of it for maybe 12 year. I don't know. I've lost track. Last year with Tom and Tyler's help I was to get my name on the Cup. First time in those 15 years. Thanks guys.

jaike5
06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Will the off shore course be an M course, seeing as your going M-spec

T.S.Davis
06-12-2017, 04:30 PM
No, since Mike isn't going to be here we decided to go with the figure 8 like we've talked about for a decade. hahaha No, just the same we always run. M with a hair pin on the south end. I wish we could run the pin off the front straight like we do for club races. You would need a weed razor on your boat for that at Shadow lake.

We have some new faces coming this year and there is still a remote chance that there might maybe possibly be a Huff/Smock sighting. I haven't started texting either of their wives yet but I am NOT above it. Don't make me do it you two. I have the digits. I hope they can make it. They're very nearly as entertaining as I am. Plus, I suspect Doug could use a gig where he isn't Ginny of the Lamp. POOF! Wadda you need? POOF Wadda you need? Something laid back with a gentle schedule.

Schedule is looking pretty good too. Tom's last test run on the numbers was around 45 heats a day I think. Even if it went 50 heats that's cake.

Todd Fleury
06-12-2017, 04:38 PM
The French Toast Mafia is looking for one more. We will be accepting applications up until the morning of the cup.

Doug Smock
06-12-2017, 04:49 PM
We have some new faces coming this year and there is still a remote chance that there might maybe possibly be a Huff/Smock sighting. I haven't started texting either of their wives yet but I am NOT above it. Don't make me do it you two. I have the digits. I hope they can make it. They're very nearly as entertaining as I am. Plus, I suspect Doug could use a gig where he isn't Ginny of the Lamp. POOF! Wadda you need? POOF Wadda you need? Something laid back with a gentle schedule.

It is a shame that I have to travel to Mich. not have to work at a race. But if your club needed me, I'd be there for ya. What an idiot. LOL
The near begging process will begin here in a few minutes. Walking a fine line since I just got back from Charleston. Wish me luck & keep the phone handy. Do you still have her number? lol

T.S.Davis
06-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Sure, but I only use it when you're out of town Doug.

T.S.Davis
06-13-2017, 08:54 AM
It is a shame that I have to travel to Mich. to not have to work at a race.

I hear that. Tom and I call 99% of the heats for 7 races. One of which is a 3 day event so does that count as 10 races? Then when we do travel we try to be useful to the host club if we can. Takes nearly a year to heal up after the Cups. For weeks it's like......"nope, don't wanna"

We travel to your gig to get in some low stress racing in. Honestly, I would be content to sip kool aid in the shade at your event. People go to to NASCAR events an down no race cars. Why can't I do that with toy boat race? Atlanta is a great site with great racing to watch and great people in attendance. Mostly at least. You did get some sketchy travelers this year. You had at least one that falls outside of my 99% good people rule of thumb. I mean probation? really? Come on.....

The CanAm is a good time too. Only 3 hour run for us plus a border crossing. You never know how that will go. The race is super organized. I like that.

tjcast
06-13-2017, 09:11 PM

Larry
No, we will be counting straight points. So if you win a heat without any buoy cuts then your team gets 400 points.

Doug Smock
06-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Hey fellas,

Don "Amp Daddy" Huff and I will be pulling in sometime Thursday hopefully late morning / early afternoon. Any chance you can save us a spot for the trailer? Where we were two years ago would be fine if you can swing it. If not we'll try to understand. lol

T.S.Davis
06-13-2017, 11:05 PM
We'll set you up in the parking lot.

Doby
06-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Hey fellas,

Don "Amp Daddy" Huff and I will be pulling in sometime Thursday hopefully late morning / early afternoon. Any chance you can save us a spot for the trailer? Where we were two years ago would be fine if you can swing it. If not we'll try to understand. lol

Well, there goes the neighborhood:blink::drool::blink:

tjcast
06-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Just looking at some of the numbers and our little race has unexpectedly ballooned! 29 racers and 187 entries! We now have a few classes that have 19 or 20 entrants. In order to keep racing "fun" for everyone and due to time constraints we will only be able to run 3 rounds. We were going to run 4 rounds when we were only going to have 9 to 10 heats per round. Now we are looking at upwards of 12 to 14 heats per round and 4 rounds puts us at 48 to 56 heats per round and that is too many. So 3 rounds it is.

Ken Haines
06-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Good move on the 3 rounds....that will certainly allow a more relaxed pace,
with more social time afterwards and maybe even a lunch break :bounce:

I just entered Q-Offshore thought I should run the Veracity that
Nankin Hobbies gave me during my stolen boat crisis last summer.
Thanks again Nankin Hobby :bounce:

Btw.....I have an extra SuperVee Tuned up and ready to race
if someone has a son, newbee, or even an experienced racer
would like to race it they would be most welcomed to use it.
Trying to increase the field to 5 to give Fede a better SV experience.

See everyone soon,
Ken

T.S.Davis
06-14-2017, 09:37 AM
I'll drive one if nobody else wants to Ken. It will do Fede some good to whip my a$$ too.

Hey all you T cat guys. How would you feel about allowing some mono to run with you? Looks like there are 4 currently. One is currently baked. We could add a pair to the mix without driving to a second flight. Gives Doug a chance tor run his behemoth.

jaike5
06-14-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm good with T-cat/mono, Will my Q mono be ready........ Bahaha!! count down to good times, can't wait to see Todd's new man cub, I hear he's going to make an appearance .

Doug Smock
06-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Don't go through any trouble for me guys. I have enough to play with. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing everyone but Doby. LOL

D.

Ken Haines
06-15-2017, 12:05 AM
I'll drive one if nobody else wants to Ken. It will do Fede some good to whip my a$$ too.

Hey all you T cat guys. How would you feel about allowing some mono to run with you? Looks like there are 4 currently. One is currently baked. We could add a pair to the mix without driving to a second flight. Gives Doug a chance tor run his behemoth.

Great Terry,
The 2 SuperVees are already loaded in the trailer.

Btw....If Mono's can run in T-Cat,
I will revive the Rico.....but like Doug said
Np either way, I do have enough classes already.
Thx :)

T.S.Davis
06-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Back to the team Cup thing. Don't feel you all have to be from the same area, same club or even the same district.

One year (2015 I think) we had a couple tools from GA team up with one of our very own club members. They won the Cup too.

At the 2014 Cup when we hosted the nats I personally teamed up with two guys from Florida. I totally let them down but still fun.

So find someone that doesn't smell too bad and team with them. Heck, a complete stranger. It's a fun angle to race with. Different way of thinking too.

K.R.Joye
06-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Good move on the 3 rounds....that will certainly allow a more relaxed pace,
with more social time afterwards and maybe even a lunch break :bounce:
See everyone soon,
Ken

Ditto on move to 3 Rounds!:banana:

tjcast
06-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Just as a heads up, for those of you running SV-27 it was intended to be a stock class. We are easing up the previous restrictions. So stock motor (AQ 1800) stock ESC (AQ 45amp) and a 42 x 55 Grim racer prop. Everything else is fair game!!

T.S.Davis
06-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Anybody ready for this gig? I'm still building boats. Bonus! Baked 4 of them at Wed practice so those all got changed to more conservative setups.

jaike5
06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
I think I'm ready, but I know things will go off the rail at some point !!

trigger
06-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Took the cat out today for a tune up after going all crazy on the power plant, only to melt down a battery pack and melt the solder in the bullet connectors......so I have reverted back to old faithful for the races. Hopefully it's not going to look like my cat is a scale tug......

M spec LSH is ready as its going to get, currently missing a windshield but oh well and M spec hydro (rigger) is good to go again missing the windshield....there is a theme here.

Looking forward to it.

Doug Smock
06-16-2017, 07:32 PM
If we aren't ready we'll always think we should have been. Don's been busy cutting vinyl so our offshore boats are all legal. We will be checking the rest of the field! :wink::tongue:

BTW If we get a visit from the Pres., we should take five and make him run a few laps in a FE boat. If for no other reason so we can say we did.:laugh:

tjcast
06-16-2017, 09:12 PM
I think I'm ready, but I know things will go off the rail at some point !!
BTW Jay I put you in M Spec when a spot opened. Just an FYI.

jaike5
06-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Thx Tom , M-spec sport hydro, can you make my boat go faster too ???:rockon2:

Ken Haines
06-17-2017, 10:09 PM
BTW If we get a visit from the Pres., we should take five and make him run a few laps in a FE boat. If for no other reason so we can say we did.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Trump might be coming ?

T.S.Davis
06-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Wed, Ty and I broke 4 cup boats. De-Soldered two, a motor, a speedo. All back together and retested Saturday morn.

Shooter
06-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Wed, Ty and I broke 4 cup boats. De-Soldered two, a motor, a speedo. All back together and retested Saturday morn.

You're an animal!

I built a boat and sunk it. No happy ending. :sad:

T.S.Davis
06-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Q sport puked a shaft in its first 100 ft.

T.S.Davis
06-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Hey guys. Who needs power? I know Ken needed a source. Most everyone else carries a genny. Trying to plan ahead for generators. I have a beastly thing at the house but getting that pig in the truck is a bear.

So who needs what?

Doug Smock
06-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Don & I are good for power. Did you make arrangements for that pit side port o let?:huh: lol

TRUCKPULL
06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Jay and I are set.

Larry

trigger
06-19-2017, 02:36 PM
We're set too, thanks.

T.S.Davis
06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Don & I are good for power. Did you make arrangements for that pit side port o let?:huh: lol

I plan to run over with a red solo cup every time you need it.

Doug Smock
06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
I plan to run over with a red solo cup every time you need it.
:laugh: That will be interesting. Getting stoked for this even under my present circumstances. Sondra thinks I've lost my mind,she's probably right,:wink:

rightturnonly
06-19-2017, 11:18 PM
:laugh: That will be interesting. Getting stoked for this even under my present circumstances. Sondra thinks I've lost my mind,she's probably right,:wink:

You are going to love the weather up here this year!!! Nice and cool..It has been great the last couple of days even with the rain..

Doby
06-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Sorry guys..business just got in the way of toy boats...I'm out.:scared::blink:

I did send you Mich Bozos some sponsor $$$$ for M Spec Mono and M Spec Offshore....want to support your event in some way.

Put on a great event as usual guys.....please post a pic of Smock and Davis slapping each other upside their heads as I won't be able to do it in person this year.

Shooter
06-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Noooooooo!!!!!!!

K.R.Joye
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Hope were still doing T-Hydro my Scorpion overdrive is ready to go.

Terry Keeley
06-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Good luck guys! :buttrock:

ray schrauwen
06-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Good luck guys! :buttrock:

Ditto.

Catch you another day.

trigger
06-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Here are a few pictures from the event, I hope you're all enjoying the last day of racing today.

Again many thanks to Terry and Tom, and all the other club hosts that made the event run smooth, on time, and a barrel of fun to boot (what happened at the lake stays at the lake Don). Enjoyed meeting everyone, being welcomed and the wealth of knowledge that we left with. I really hope Mike and I get to come and play boats next year.

Thursday night into Friday morning, the rain was persistent, but it did not dampen spirits for long at all.

Soon everyone was underway, Bob, Tyler, Terry, Doug and myself on the stand.

Mike and Mike shared some memories from previous meetings.

View in the evening over tent city and out to the glass like water, great set up/location for the event. Great hosts :thumbup:

trigger
06-25-2017, 06:35 PM
couple more shots

Doug, Don and Mike

Team Davis

ray schrauwen
06-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Team Davis looks pretty organized.

T.S.Davis
06-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Where to start.......

Anybody else feel like they're in a comma today? Like an RC hangover. I'm sure I'll remember more stuff after I recover. Here's some stuff that's still fresh in my noggin.....

First, what a great time. The MMEU gang pulled together and got it done. You can't imagine how much we appreciate the help tearing down. Those of you that didn't just cut and run.............THANK YOU!!! I would like to thank Tom Castellani in particular for all his hard work. I promise you all that he's the guy making it happen. I'm a chatty Cathy but Tom is the backbone of this club in my opinion. Thank you sir.

It was great to meet Lynn Rupley. Many of you know who she is. We should change her title from IMPBA secretary to Queen of RC. Maybe that's just me. She drug her husband along for the ride. Some of you may know him too. haha It was pretty slick to have the president and secretary stop by just to hang out for the day. Chris and Lynn have been extremely helpful in getting MMEU up to speed in IMPBA. The transition was smooth as butter and our gang didn't miss a single day of racing.

Doug Smock and Don Huff drove up from Atlanta. These guys are great racers and at least as entertaining as I am. Well......close. haha I think if they come back Don is going to get a Doug a muzzle for the drive. If you want to learn a thing or two about RC boats, have a conversation with Don. It will take some time but once you accept that it's not how fast you talk but what you actually say that matters you can learn a thing or two.

Mike and Paul from the Indy Admirals came out as you saw above. Sounded like that had fun. Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement. I frequently reflect on the path. Path might not be the right word. "Are we headed the right way? Do we continue on that path?" Sometimes I even wonder if it's all worth the effort. It's nice to have some object positive reinforcement form outside the normal circle. Guys we already know are super freaks aren't really objective.

It was nice to see Mike Ball on the Cup water again. Yer still the real deal Mike. Getting a chance to play boats and have you hall of fame pops there to pit for you is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did seeing you together.

My kid is the real deal too. I don't think that's just false fatherly pride anymore. The kid scares the crap out of me with how close to the pins he's comfortable running.

Mike from ProMarine came out to play with us too. I think he might have been a little surprised by how fast this group really is. Some of our guys have really brought his boats to life. Those of you that thought there might be sparks between us.......oh grow up! haha We were perfect gentlemen. Well maybe not perfect. I doubt either of us has perfect covered. We do have similar driving habits too. There is no in between for either of us. It's either brilliant or buffoon. A phrase I stole from Howard. BTW The dirt bag from the left coast that likes to say he's "sponsored" by every company who's product he's run is in fact NOT sponsored by Promarine. Promarine doesn't "sponsor" any racers. He might toss a guy a part here or there but he doesn't carry anyone. My understanding at least. I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm way off. RC racing isn't some billion dollar market where guys race fer free on someone else's dime. Also my perception. Accept for Ty. He's racing on my dime. Little turd.

Hey, how about that last heat with the Wildthing mono in Q offshore? Holy crap! Larry's cat was nutty fast but I got him with a wood mono. So fun Larry. Thanks for the run. Made my weekend. Mike at ML, these are going to become very popular because d'ammmmmmm.

Rhonda is the bar manager for the Elks lodge. She was opening for us at 8:00am and going home after midnight. Holy crap again! 16+ hours a day. Friday night she had a plate of food that sat there untouched for at least 3 hours. I still feel guilty.

There are over 900 pics kicking around to get up somewhere. Some are boats. Some are of us tools. We even had a pair of drones recording one day. Not one but TWO! How freak'n cool is that? Todd probably mooned em when I wasn't looking. We'll get that footage sorted out too. Not the mooning of course.

I should be completely baked but I'm not. I'm inspired. I can't wait to get back to the boats. Think medication will help?

Guys....seriously......put this gig on your schedule for next year fellas. You wont be sorry. You may not be a race freak but after a weekend with this group of humans........you will be.

As I think of more stuff I'll come back and share.

Tom will likely post the results in the next few days.

ray schrauwen
06-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks Terry.

Todd Fleury
06-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately Terry, although I thought about the slow drive by while working the retrieve boat, I was unable to work the mooning into the day.

TRUCKPULL
06-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Todd

It wasn't the mooning that scared us the year, it was the sight of the beached whale hanging on the side of the retrieve boat.:canada:

Larry

Todd Fleury
06-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Don't be jealous that I am skinnier than you Larry.

tjcast
06-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Some memories of this years cup:

-The sight of our canopy village Friday morning, damaged after the heavy downpour Thursday night! :scared:

-How everyone pulled together :hug1: and rebounded from the rain and how well the rest of Friday and Saturday went :thumbup1:.

-My favorite quote: "Just want to know if I am bringing a knife to a gun fight!" - Mike Ball. Mike wanted to compare his P-Limited boats to some of our new M-Spec boats during testing.

Coming from Mike my first though was:

"the most advanced weapon in the world doesn't do you any good if someone is beating your brains out with a rock!"

Mike made podium with all 3 of his Spec classes :thumbup:. Sharp knives (well built and tested boats) and good aim (skillful driving) can easily beat guns. GREAT job Mike.

Doug Smock
06-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Where to start? Oh yeah, with this guy Thomas Castellani..

Dude!, you went over and beyond for us and I just want to thank you again for exceeding our expectations. "What do you need"? PVC Ts, a stick of EMT, some duct tape. POOF! "Here you go guys, no I don't want your money." And Tom, all our sets ups are running hot here. We really need some open water at the end of the day so we don't burn em down tomorrow. We don't want to be a PIYA but..... THANK YOU SIR! We really appreciate you and all of your effort! May you never be taken for granted.:tiphat:

Terry and the rest of the gang. Thanks guys! You know Don and I know first hand what it takes to pull these things off even with ideal circumstances. What separates the men from the boys is how you handle the hiccups. Hats off to you guys.

Any of you guys that have been on the fence about attending the Michigan Cup. You're missing out on some of the best people model boating has to offer, and the site is one of a kind.

Mike Ball..............:hug1:

See you next year fellas!

Snock.............:laugh:

Ken Haines
06-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Another great Michigan Cup.
So glad after this weekend that I did not fold up
last year after the trailer & boat theft.

The whole MMEU club put on a wonderful race.
Tom, Terry, Kevin, Tyler were the backbone behind
the well controlled and very organized event.
Great Job and thanks for putting up with all of us.
As Terry said it is an event, socializing and meeting
friends new and old are all part of the weekend.
If you have not attended this still is the best venue
in RC Boat racing.....and not to demean other races.

My family had a great time, Fede is slowly improving
and had 3 heat wins all in different classes. I now certainly
appreciate how difficult it is for Terry, and Mike Pags getting
your own gear ready as well as having your Kids in top notch
equipment and fostering their racing. I am worn out....:ohmy:

Congrats to Doug Smock, Don Huff, and Mike Ball on the Team
Michigan Cup win :bowdown:

Our Team; Ken Brode, & Chris Flemming made
a valiant effort but came up just 250 points short. Good work for a new team.
In the Team events over the past 10 years I must have the record for almost and 2nd place finishes......
Doug, I must admit I am getting pretty tired of this Sh----. :laugh:

I need to thank Jason Sims and Greg Schweers for the equipment
help. That LSH was an amazing ride. Thx. :thumbup1:

Well, we are now sitting in Bellville, Canada waiting on another transmission
repair. Hopefully they will complete it today so we can finish our vacation with my wife's family in Quebec City.

Thanks again,
Lucky:bounce:

T.S.Davis
06-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Tyler and I had that conversion about gear and boats just last night Ken. I've cobbled together 6 boats for him that I think are world class. All he has to do is drive them. I asked if he thought just maybe possibly I could build something sweet for me to race now. haha Think he got it. He's still a tool though.

Doug and I talked briefly about hosting events on Saturday night. The days required. The pace. What you need to offer class wise vs what you want to offer. I like to walk the line between "race" and "event". Love the racing but getting guys to want to be at the event is just as important to me. If I could put up a tent and have trapeze artists I'd do it. Anything to make it more of a spectacle. More of a destination. Is it better for the race purists? Nope. Good for the hobby? Debatable. Gets us together. I'll take it. Ever gone to a Gold Cup race? They have live bands at times. Food trucks of multiple types. What's that got to do with racing? Notta. So why do it? Spectacle. Entertainment. Grin factor. Someday I want to do fireworks again. That was hella cool.

T.S.Davis
06-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Tyler and I had that conversation about gear and boats just last night Ken. I've cobbled together 6 boats for him that I think are world class. All he has to do is drive them. I asked if he thought just maybe possibly I could build something sweet for me to race now. haha Think he got it. He's still a tool though.

Doug and I talked briefly about hosting events on Saturday night. The days required. The pace. What you need to offer class wise vs what you want to offer. I like to walk the line between "race" and "event". Love the racing but getting guys to want to be at the event is just as important to me. If I could put up a tent and have trapeze artists I'd do it. Anything to make it more of a spectacle. More of a destination. Is it better for the race purists? Nope. Good for the hobby? Debatable. Gets us together. I'll take it. Ever gone to a Gold Cup race? They have live bands at times. Food trucks of multiple types. What's that got to do with racing? Notta. So why do it? Spectacle. Entertainment. Grin factor. Someday I want to do fireworks again. That was hella cool.

Shooter
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Here are some of the moments that I enjoyed most….
1. Battling Ken Haines in Q-Sport. Never caught him, but I think I put some heat on! :w00t:
2. Watching the fireworks show in John’s tent, and then watching the show progress over to my tent!!
3. Watching Ty’s Blue Streak Q Sport. He finished first in two heats and was in the lead on the third heat when the boat quit. I’m pretty sure he STILL has his finger on the throttle
4. Learning how to suck on a cigar without lighting it……from Don Huff. I’m hooked!
5. Longest game of billiards in history.
6. The BBQ chicken!!!! Good stuff!!!!
7. Avoiding ping-pong re-match with Kenny
8. Watching the black pearl win 1st and 2nd in P-Sport! Congrats Kenny and Mike.

ray schrauwen
06-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Well, we are now sitting in Bellville, Canada waiting on another transmission
repair. Hopefully they will complete it today so we can finish our vacation with my wife's family in Quebec City.

Thanks again,
Lucky:bounce:

Are you driving a Ford or something? Just Kidding. Safe travels!

tjcast
06-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Results are posted!

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?57481-2017-Michigan-Cup-results

longballlumber
06-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Geeze, where to start… Tom, Terry, and the entire MMEU Crew put together ONE HECK of a race. They guided us thru a rough Friday morning to get things done at a decent hour. They kept everyone on a fun and steady pace all weekend long. The organized lunches for each day were FANTASTIC!

It was nice to be racing at The Cup again. Had it not been for Doug twisting my arm, I may have opted out again this year. Boy, I am glad he reached out. I am starting to feel like I am part of one big dysfunctional family between Smock and the Huffs! :wink:

I had a great time and REALLY enjoyed seeing/racing everyone. Although we were missing some “usual suspects”; it was really refreshing to see some new faces too. Mike, Paul, and Mike from the Indy Admirals club and we had some new blood from our own club racing. :thumbup1:

Thanks for everything Guys! :rockon2:

Later,
Ball

Doug Smock
06-28-2017, 04:50 PM
It was nice to be racing at The Cup again. Had it not been for Doug twisting my arm, I may have opted out again this year. Boy, I am glad he reached out. I am starting to feel like I am part of one big dysfunctional family between Smock and the Huffs! :wink:
You know I got nothing but love for you brother, and I never dreamed I'd speak to you this way, but with all due respect you fit right in.:laugh::thumbup1:

Really glad you decided to come! And having your dad there was the icing on the cake!

madmikepags
06-30-2017, 08:00 PM
I cant believe I missed this one, UGGGH!!!