PDA

View Full Version : Fweasel's Delta Force 26 carbon mono build

fweasel
01-15-2017, 10:46 AM
I bought a Delta Force 26 carbon hull with a white gelcoat from Darin Jordan as my winter project. I was looking for a higher end mono hull in this size as most of my other boats are 36" long. Perfect match. I've been reading a lot of older threads as this hull was pretty popular about 6-7 years ago and have picked the brains of Tony as well as Vince here at OSE. Getting closer to the final plan, but have enough in place that I can start building. My goal is a 4S 50mph sport boat that's easier to stuff in the trunk.

148791 148792

Here's the parts list so far:
Leopard 3650 2290Kv motor 1/8" shaft
Leopard 45mm water jacket
Aero Marine 1/8 to .150 collet
Raider 150A ESC
Speedmaster Mini mono rudder w/ 2" setback
Kintec Racking 3/16 stinger with 1/4" stuffing tube and Aquacraft bushing
OSE .150 flex shaft
Kintec Racing carbon motor mount rail system
OSE SuperVee adjustable trim tabs
OSE medium turn fins
OSE 200mm carbon battery trays
OSE carbon ESC mount

148793 148794

I was still undecided on a servo, and had just ordered a Spektrum SR210 receiver when the new S6240RX servo/Rx integrated receiver (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMSS6240RX) was announced. It has enough torque, waterproof, and solves my space limitation problem. It's a little pricey, but worth the $40-$50 premium over using separate components. I ordered one from Horizon, should be here next week.

The Aero Marine collet is HUGE. I don't even have box wrenches large enough at the hobby workbench to tighten it. I couldn't find my usual two piece stainless collet in the 1/8" to .150 size that I needed so I tried something new. Just can't bring myself to bolt that heavy weight to the end of my tiny motor. I ordered an Octura, the only other collet in that size that I could find. Hopefully it's a better match.

I was originally thinking of using two 2S 5000mHa packs, one on each side, wired in series for 4S. There's enough room in the hull to do it, but I'm not sure if it's too much weight up high. If I stack them together or use a single 4S pack, I'm not sure if that will put too much weight forward and screw up the COG. Still working on that part of the design.

I also plan on using quick release hardware to old down the hatch along with a thin neoprene seal. There's enough realestate on the rear of the hatch for one in each corner, but I need to figure out a pin, or more likely, lip setup up front. Cosmetics are very low on the list. I'll probably get a carbon windshield cut and some basic graphics done before spring, but it will be a basic white livery. If I was or knew a painter, I'd be all over a Bud Select or Bud Light offshore paint jobs. I get to see those boats up close and in person at the Lake of the Ozarks every year and they're amazing.

kfxguy
01-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Well that makes two of us building one of these. I'll be ordering the rest of my needed parts today (if I remember). I need to create my build thread too but I've been slacking on my 34" mono build. To much life stuff getting in the way I suppose.

Anyway, the octura collets are good collets. I hate the aeromarine. Come to think of it, there not much I LIKE from aeromarine. Everything I've had from them was poor quality and cheap metals. I chose the Mbp collet for my build. Yea it's a little big but it's lite weight and high quality. I also went with a 3/16 flex for simplicity (and I have plenty) and who knows I may decide to over power it like I always do. Good luck on your build and I'll be watching!

fweasel
01-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Good luck on your build and I'll be watching!
Same. :banana:

That reminds me, I need to find someone with a fiberglass DF26 and swap lids with them.

kfxguy
01-16-2017, 12:15 AM
Same. :banana:

That reminds me, I need to find someone with a fiberglass DF26 and swap lids with them.

I ordered one from Steve.

fweasel
01-16-2017, 01:23 PM
I ordered one from Steve.He sold you just the hatch? If that's the case, sweet.

boredom.is.me
01-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Ditto on disliking the AM coupler. It's nice for the first three runs. The inserts turn to crap and break really fast. The cheap China collets are ranked higher on my list.

I'm curious to see what the "SRX" actually looks like. I didn't see anything on the Spektrum site.

iridebikes247
01-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Nice looking build, looking forward to seeing this one come together.

kfxguy
01-21-2017, 12:40 AM
He sold you just the hatch? If that's the case, sweet.

Yes just the hatch. Email him. He can get you one.

Yes I've had nothing but failures out of the aeromarine couplers. They are the worst ones I've seen by far. The China ones are just as good (longevity wise) as the mbp ones. Only thing is they aren't balanced well but if you have a prop balancer then you can balance it. I shouldn't have to say this but I will, balance the coupler and nut seperate and put the set screws where they are going to be when you tighten them on the motor shaft.

ray schrauwen
01-21-2017, 07:28 PM
I like both Hydro Marine couplers and MBP. MBP are available from Steve at OSE but the other can be had from RCRacing.

I like the H&M ones since they are so light, well balanced, last well, nicely priced and were what the Chinese copied in steel.

Tamelesstgr
02-10-2017, 03:34 PM
You make any progress? Spring is around the corner!

fweasel
02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
You make any progress? Spring is around the corner!Not as far as I'd like. I ordered my GPS friendly fiberglass hatch, should be here in another month. Everything else is ready to go, aside from the new Spektrum integrated servo that hasn't shipped yet. I've been working on the entire fleet at once and need to start finishing each boat before this one gets underway.