PDA

View Full Version : Tools

obrien
11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
I was just wondering what alot of you guys have for tools that do alot of your own fabrication and boat building. For those that machine their own hardware what do you like to use? What do you guys do to make sure when you are building a new boat from scratch, what do you use to keep everything straight and true?

highndry
11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Pliers, hammer, duct tape, bailing wire, bigger hammer.

Dr. Jet
11-11-2008, 12:31 PM
If it doesn't move, and it should: Use WD-40
If it moves, and it shouldn't: Use Duct Tape

Nothing else is required.

:just-kidding:

j.m.
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I use a coping saw, file, and dremel to make my own hardware.

You can see an exaple of my stuff in the Project: Super Blast thread.

Dr. Jet
11-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Seriously though, a good flat building board is important. Next are some X-Acto knives, a razor saw, an assortment of needle files, several sanding blocks, including one that is at least 22” long. Another important item is a good metal straight-edge. 12” minimum, but 24” or 36” wouldn’t hurt. Then you will need some squares (like a carpenter’s square), or at least some 90º triangles. Obviously, you will need an assortment of small wrenches, allen wrenches, and screwdrivers (flat and Phillips).

As for power tools, the most important is a Dremel tool. Next in line would be a drill press, and then a band or scroll saw.

For gluing, you need some weights, a lot of blue masking tape, and maybe some small clamps. Steal a roll of waxed paper from the kitchen.

This will get you started. After you get duct tape and WD-40 of course. ;)

RayR
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I find this very valuable when building.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2485

All the best,

Ray

egneg
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM

All the best,

Ray

I use a similar one for the basic shaping and thinning of props. I also find a dremel 4" table saw and a scroll saw very handy to have along with a Xacto saw/miterbox.

Chuck

Dr. Jet
11-11-2008, 05:39 PM

All the best,

Ray

I agree. I have the slightly larger version of this and I use it all the time. It is a great tool for vaporizing plywood, fiberglass and carbon fiber bits.

calcagno45
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I use this for my sanding:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100061671

Dr. Jet
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
This is the sander I have. You can get a Chinese copy at Harbor Tools.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00998359000P?vName=Tools&cName=BenchPowerTools&sName=Sanders&psid=YAHOOSHOP01&sid=IDx20070921x00003b

Avanti
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
dremel
scroll saw
assorted squares & straight edges
table saw
miter saw

you know you can come use all my stuff whenever

obrien
11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I know Avanti. I did this to see what others like to use, as well as hopefully to help someone who might be getting started to get an idea for what they might need.

you know me, I can never have a big enough work shop or enough tools. lol

Meniscus
11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I use various books on various topics.

(for weights, LOL)

j.m.
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Sometimes my teeth work great when I have a lot of wood to remove.

They seem to work faster for me than the bandsaw in shop class.:huh:

Super robot beaver action. It's my special talent.:tape:

Meniscus
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
(looking for a picture of j.m...)

j.m.
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Here ya go!:blink:
http://www.villainsource.com/images/jaws.jpg

properchopper
11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Here's a handy sander I picked up at Harbor Freight. It worked o.k. when I held it in my hand & worked the sanding end back & forth. It did however work way better once I discovered that when you plug it in & turn the switch on the belt spins ! lol :doh:

Dr. Jet
11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Here's a handy sander I picked up at Harbor Freight. It worked o.k. when I held it in my hand & worked the sanding end back & forth. It did however work way better once I discovered that when you plug it in & turn the switch on the belt spins ! lol :doh:

That is the exact same tool I use to remove the "tongues" from my props. Put the prop on a shaft, spin it in a drill press or a lathe, and sand the prop to shape. Then thin, sharpen, and balance, as usual.

Note:
Plug the sander into an electrical outlet and turn it on before attempting to remove material from the work piece. :doh:

Meniscus
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL! funny stuff! (wondering if that was 220 he plugged into)

j.m.
11-13-2008, 07:24 PM
That's what I use to get my teeth going.

properchopper
11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
That's what I use to get my teeth going.

If you think that's good, last week there was a power failure. I plugged the unit in to the wall socket, put some cheese on the belt guard and a small mouse on the belt, treadmill-wise. Now there's a really fatigued mouse hiding out in my house somewhere. The cheese was delicious, 'tho !;)

j.m.
11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Funny story.

Not possible, but funny.

Avanti
11-26-2008, 12:56 AM

this sander is on sale for $22.95 until 12-26-08
page 22 of this flyer http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/startBrowseBook.do?bookid=225&preview=&type=RET&simple=

Simon.O.
11-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Seriously though, a good flat building board is important. Next are some X-Acto knives, a razor saw, an assortment of needle files, several sanding blocks, including one that is at least 22” long. Another important item is a good metal straight-edge. 12” minimum, but 24” or 36” wouldn’t hurt. Then you will need some squares (like a carpenter’s square), or at least some 90º triangles. Obviously, you will need an assortment of small wrenches, allen wrenches, and screwdrivers (flat and Phillips).

As for power tools, the most important is a Dremel tool. Next in line would be a drill press, and then a band or scroll saw.

For gluing, you need some weights, a lot of blue masking tape, and maybe some small clamps. Steal a roll of waxed paper from the kitchen.

This will get you started. After you get duct tape and WD-40 of course. ;)

I must totally agree with this list!
I have a selection of lathes both wood and metal work to choose from and bandsaws, table saws, drill presses ( yes that is plural ) and these are all at my home.
Given all that I love to fabricate things by HAND(tools) and I get a lot of satisfaction from filing for hours before I use a grinder or linisher or other power tool.
Once the boat bits are made and there are other jobs to do I do enjoy a good run with a chainsaw, air-chisel, arc welder or 9" angle grinder from time to time.:banana:

properchopper
11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Two new toys for the collection. Belt/disc sander essential for wood boats [ like my under-construction VS-1]. The dual-chuck 18 V cordless is a real time saver;
$ 29.95 from Big Lots with lots of little goodies, charger & case.:smile:

WHOOPS;WRONG PICTURE !! See next post !

properchopper
11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
correct picture for above post:doh:

j.m.
11-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice amp!

(I guess...)

Me and my dad are big into audio. :focus:

properchopper
11-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Nice amp!

(I guess...)

Me and my dad are big into audio. :focus:

While it looks like a big power amp, it's actually a hernia-inducing, ninteen inch rack mount Power Supply ! :ohmy: