PDA

View Full Version : ***NEW*** - Pro Boat River Jet Boat - 23"

Darin Jordan
01-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Fresh off the presses....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/river-jet-boat-23-inch--rtr-prb08025?clickpath=homepage_espot2_01122017

https://youtu.be/is-pNVJPD1E

fweasel
01-12-2017, 09:03 AM
in first! Looks cool

Darin Jordan
01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
More Pics...

Darin Jordan
01-12-2017, 09:06 AM
If you are on Facebook, Rafael will be going LIVE on the Horizon Hobby page at 9:30CST Today... (Thursday, January 12, 2017)

"We will be going live on Horizon Hobby Facebook with special guest and product developer Rafael Lopez at 9:30 CST!!"

https://www.facebook.com/HorizonHobby/

boatsrnew2me
01-12-2017, 09:25 AM
another self righter it appears ?

TheShaughnessy
01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Waiting to learn about shaft maintenence. I've been waiting for this release since Mickiebeez and sick RC came out with one. Lucky for me I made my own jet boat so I don't have to buy this one.

kfxguy
01-12-2017, 11:03 AM
I've seen it run and it was pretty dang fast too. When I saw it there was no cockpit design yet and what Raphael chose looks much better than what he explained to me, the way I pictured it. Looks top notch. I'm impressed how this turned out! Good job Raphael

arrover
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Very cool boat. Can't wait to see it run. Facebook video with Rafael said it can run 4S. Specs say 3S? Can run in 2" of water. You can add a trim servo if you run a 3 channel radio. All pump parts are replaceable. Nice work Rafael!

zooma
01-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Just read the manual. It looks like a major disassembly of the jet drive to grease the shaft. Otherwise, I love the design.

Mxkid261
01-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Looks perfect for a Saturday on the lake when its too rough to run fast boats. Ill be ordering one this spring for sure

Darin Jordan
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Just read the manual. It looks like a major disassembly of the jet drive to grease the shaft. Otherwise, I love the design.

Something VERY easily dealt with with just a speck of imagination....

Back when I converted a FASTech to a jet, I simply drilled a small hole through the housing into the stuffing tube, and threaded in a water cooling nipple. Just remove the cap and inject some lubricating oil. Done... Never had to remove the shaft again.

zooma
01-12-2017, 12:46 PM
Something VERY easily dealt with with just a speck of imagination....

Back when I converted a FASTech to a jet, I simply drilled a small hole through the housing into the stuffing tube, and threaded in a water cooling nipple. Just remove the cap and inject some lubricating oil. Done... Never had to remove the shaft again.

Great idea.

LarrysDrifter
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Sweet! Nice alternative to buying an over priced NQD and putting good parts inside! Fun river/creek boat, plus makes a fantastic rescue boat! I'll be purchasing one, for sure.

srislash
01-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Sure looks like it tracks straighter than the ole NQD, which is welcome

Doby
01-12-2017, 11:00 PM
A very cool addition to Pro Boats line-up......and AQ still lags way behind in any new options.

jim82
01-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Yea what is up with aqua. nothing new for sometime now?

axel
01-13-2017, 08:54 PM
would be nice to know the impeller size and what material ? plastic?composite?metal? motorpower?

Keagan-Z06
01-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Nice! Is that Rafael & Darin in the cockpit?

boatsrnew2me
02-17-2017, 08:51 PM
look what i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7BHRTUU5g

DBJr
02-18-2017, 01:19 AM
I was wondering if this can be run on 4S since it is mentioned in the instructions and since it comes with a 4S capable 90A ESC.

The instructions also mentioned the self righting works better with the weight of a 4S pack.

Either way, I plan on getting this one for sure.

fweasel
02-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Rafael typically writes the instructions. If he says it can do 4S, I would believe it, and bet that he has run it that way himself.

skeeler
02-18-2017, 07:21 PM
I like that the jet system lets this boat run in almost no water, as Rafael's videos of it running in a gutter or a rain-flooded street show. That really opens up opportunities to run that aren't available to boats with props. It's very versatile.

This jet boat looks perfect for my son, since he can run it over lily pads or other water plants without a problem. The size is about right, too. His birthday is coming up...

skeeler
02-18-2017, 09:44 PM
I understand how adding a servo and third channel will give you pitch trim on the fly, but Rafael's video showed some sort of mix between the steering and the pitch trim servo. Can someone explain to me what that accomplishes?

Rafael_Lopez
02-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Hey Guys, sorry I'd not been in this section for a while. I've been busy running jet boats in the street. :buttrock:

The boat indeed runs on 4s. I run 3200 Eflite 4s packs. On 4s, because of the self fight feature and the rotating mass of the outrunner coupled with the weighted motor coupler the boat will pull to one side a bit in open water. In that latest video, I ran the boat on 3s and was at around 1/2 throttle the entire time and would only hit full throttle to swing the transom around. My boat doesn't self right anymore. I swapped my weighted coupler with a straight 5mm/4mm coupler from OSE. Don't get me wrong, the self right feature is great, but during all my testing I can count on 1 hand the times I actually flipped the boat and needed to self right it. I can say the same thing about the Recoil 26. Everything is so low in the hull that it's really hard to flip it over under normal circumstances. So why make it self righting? Because that feature alone sells boats to people who are put off by not having a way to retrieve them if they flip. I'm sure the day will come when I flip it and wish I had never pulled the coupler out.:confused2:

Skeeler, the mix I had in the video shows what is knows thrust vectoring. It allows you to mix in trim to either lower or raise the bow when you steer left or right. When you run in rough water the bow can be over taken by rapids so turning the steering wheel in one direction or the other while on throttle will add positive trim to the nozzle, lifting the bow out of the water, making the boat more maneuverable. Also, when you turn a boat it typically lays on its side so the turn can be wide and sweeping, with a large friction area. If you add positive trim when you turn it lifts the bow creating a much smaller contact area giving you a much tighter radius. Think of it this way, place your foot flat on the ground and move left to right; like windshield wiper. Now do the same thing using only your heel with the ball of your foot just a few mm above the ground; same theory. In the mix video I show an extreme amount of vectoring. In reality this is something that will have to be adjusted for specific situations; there is no preset value of mix percentage that will work in every situation. If you lift the bow too much the boat will spin out easier.

Imagine the rocket below turning left to right as the trim changes. Hopefully you can imagine how the contact patch with the water changes as it does that.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Gimbaled_thrust_animation.gif

kfxguy
02-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Hey Guys, sorry I'd not been in this section for a while. I've been busy running jet boats in the street. :buttrock:

Man I need to get me one of them "street" boats! Lol

Rafael_Lopez
02-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Man I need to get me one of them "street" boats! Lol

Guess I should have added "flooded" to my street comment.:tongue:

kfxguy
02-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Guess I should have added "flooded" to my street comment.:tongue:

Nah I know! I've been watching your vids you post. That boat turned out great btw, very impressed with the looks of it.

skeeler
02-23-2017, 07:57 AM
That boat turned out great btw, very impressed with the looks of it.

Is it just me, or do the two guys in the boat look a bit like Rafael?

skeeler
02-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Skeeler...

Rafael, thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand now. The change in footprint makes sense.

I must point out that the "regular" steering on this jet boat is thrust vectoring. By adding the trim servo, you add another dimension to the thrust vectoring.

As I said, this boat looks pretty fun, and it opens up new opportunities to run. I'll be looking to get one of these in the spring/summer. I hope enough of these sell that ProBoat decides to offer a 30-inch version.

fweasel
02-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Is it just me, or do the two guys in the boat look a bit like Rafael?
:laugh:

skeeler
02-23-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.modellhobby.de/k_staufenb_e/prodpic/PROBOAT-River-Jet-Boat-23-584mm-RTR-self-rightning-094PRB08025_b_2.JPG

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10655249_245989045750535_8515412052890089044_o.jpg ?oh=a3a0bb6ee9a5782b9af4064ab115b02e&oe=593B97EB

Separated at birth?

Rafael_Lopez
02-23-2017, 04:20 PM
http://www.modellhobby.de/k_staufenb_e/prodpic/PROBOAT-River-Jet-Boat-23-584mm-RTR-self-rightning-094PRB08025_b_2.JPG

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10655249_245989045750535_8515412052890089044_o.jpg ?oh=a3a0bb6ee9a5782b9af4064ab115b02e&oe=593B97EB

Separated at birth?

The boats, yes. Me and drivers, no. But I'll take the compliment :D

Rafael_Lopez
02-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Rafael, thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand now. The change in footprint makes sense.

I must point out that the "regular" steering on this jet boat is thrust vectoring. By adding the trim servo, you add another dimension to the thrust vectoring.

As I said, this boat looks pretty fun, and it opens up new opportunities to run. I'll be looking to get one of these in the spring/summer. I hope enough of these sell that ProBoat decides to offer a 30-inch version.
I guess I should have explained it as multi axis thrust vectoring, but glad you got the idea ;)

fweasel
02-23-2017, 04:50 PM
The boats, yes. Me and drivers, no. But I'll take the compliment :DIf I had better photoshop skills, I'd slap a black helmet and goggles on you with an orange polo and the discussion would be over. I'm still laughing at the comparison. Too funny. :bounce:

skeeler
02-23-2017, 09:14 PM
fweasel, I'm glad I could bring a little joy into your life. Now we need someone with photoshopping skills.

skeeler
02-25-2017, 11:18 PM
I saw on the product-announcement video at Horizon that Rafael said the boat doesn't have a reverse gate. Is this something that's required to operate in reverse on a jet boat? Does that mean there's no reverse on the River Jet?

Mxkid261
02-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Yes it's probably like a jet ski reverse gate. On my Honda aquatrax there's a reverse lever when you pull it up there's a plastic scoop that comes down over the jet pump exit to direct the water from the pump downward which = reverse

skeeler
02-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks. The product video shows the exhaust nozzle to be below the waterline, so is there a reason you can't run the motor in reverse to pump water backwards through the boat? It wouldn't be as efficient as running forwards, but I'm hoping it could still nudge the boat backward slowly. I can see why the reverse gate on the jet ski is cheaper and easier to make than a reverse gear, but electric motors run in reverse without any additional hardware.

Rafael_Lopez
03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
The motor will run in reverse as it is instrumental in the self right feature. The boat will move backwards if you operate reverse slowly, but you can not steer it. Adding a reverse gate with a servo to operate it would have raised the price of the boat and would have put us out of our target price range, and honestly it just would not have fit since the space accessible inside the hull is very tight as it is.

skeeler
03-02-2017, 02:12 PM
Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. I understand a reverse gate would have caused a cost overrun. All I want is a little slow reversing in case the boat gets nosed into shore; I don't need speed or steering in reverse. (My son is only learning to drive RC cars and boats now). It sounds like this boat will do what I need.

Rafael_Lopez
03-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Well, even a pro will need to learn how to drive a jet boat if you have never driven one, RC or 1:1. Main thing to remember is no power, no steering. And you have to learn how to blip the throttle at the right time to get it to turn the way you want to. Like in my street run video, I was using full throttle to tightly spin it around. I used to had Yamaha SX230 and still had to learn how to drive this thing, lol.

Also, remember that the pump is very powerful. If the boat runs on shore, don't operate the throttle or it will suck up loose material if it's sitting on the ground, which can damage the pump's internals. Again, I learned that the hard way with my 1:1. Debris becomes shrapnel as it's being sucked through the pump, which can/will damage the stuffing tube support and the impeller.

DBJr
03-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Boat is now showing as in stock at Horizon. I just ordered mine.

I also grabbed a Glacier 4S 3300mAh 30C lipo to run in this. I've had excellent luck with Glacier packs so far.

MADRCER
03-04-2017, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Rafael_Lopez;685487]Well, even a pro will need to learn how to drive a jet boat if you have never driven one, RC or 1:1. Main thing to remember is no power, no steering. And you have to learn how to blip the throttle at the right time to get it to turn the way you want to. Like in my street run video, I was using full throttle to tightly spin it around. I used to had Yamaha SX230 and still had to learn how to drive this thing, lol.

Also, remember that the pump is very powerful. If the boat runs on shore, don't operate the throttle or it will suck up loose material if it's sitting on the ground, which can damage the pump's internals. Again, I learned that the hard way with my 1:1. Debris becomes shrapnel as it's being sucked through the pump, which can/will damage the stuffing tube support and the impeller.

Rafael,

Looks like you developed an AWESOME boat! What is the speed difference while using 3s vs 4s in this boat? Pro Boat claims 25mph....is this on 3s or 4s? I am assuming it will be around 6-8 minutes of runtime with 3200mah? Mine shipped yesterday and I can't wait to test it out! Thanks!

Rafael_Lopez
03-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Madrcr, 25 mph is on 3s. 4s should get you closer to 30. Run time is 3-7 minutes depending on how heavy your trigger finger is.

DBJr
03-05-2017, 01:17 AM
I'm just curious, about how many amps does the system pull on 4S???

Something tells me the 90A ESC should be more than enough though.

boatsrnew2me
03-05-2017, 08:33 AM
If I had better photoshop skills, I'd slap a black helmet and goggles on you with an orange polo and the discussion would be over. Too funny. :bounce:
couldn't swing the orange polo sorry
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r679/joe3857/rafael%20proboat_zpscxwllcz6.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/joe3857/media/rafael%20proboat_zpscxwllcz6.jpg.html)

skeeler
03-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Yep, it's totally Little Rafael and his twin driving the River Jet.

fweasel
03-05-2017, 11:12 AM
:laugh:

Rafael_Lopez
03-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Hahahaha! That's awesome. Thanks guys.

ChevyPrerunner
03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Awesome lil Jet Boat Team ProBoat / Rafael! I'll have to swoop one up soon :rockon2:

MADRCER
03-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Got mine today! It is bigger than my Barbwire XL and is barely smaller than my Impulse 31 V3! It should be a blast! Thanks Pro Boat!

DBJr
03-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow. I can't wait!!!:biggrin:

I got my 4S 3300mAh 30C lipo pack today and voltages checked out around 3.85 volts per cell so I'm all set.

Keagan-Z06
03-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Got mine today! It is bigger than my Barbwire XL and is barely smaller than my Impulse 31 V3! It should be a blast! Thanks ProBoat!

Very nice!

MADRCER
03-07-2017, 10:28 PM
I just couldn't resist I had to take it out for a spin. Below is the link to the crappy video I made while trying to driving it. This little guy is like a mouse on the river and is way different to drive than a prop and rudder boat as Rafael said...Figure 8's at will Lol. I put the speed meter in and got 27mph on 3s 3200mah. Please don't laugh at my bag and ziplock baggies I have my speed meter strapped in with, because this is the second one I have had to buy in the last two weeks and I am very cautious now Lol...my first one is in the bottom of the river because it fell out of my Impulse doing about 50 when the top came off. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOCErOMH-Zw&feature=youtu.be

Rafael_Lopez
03-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Great video! Looks like you're having fun. Definitely a new learning curve with a jet boat for those of us who have only experienced prop boats before. One of my main goals was to make the boat carve the way it does without breaking traction or rolling over. It is a bit like a mouse, as you describe it, but it will get better once you get used to how little steering input it needs while on power. The acceleration is almost comical to me. Looks like someone sped up the video, lol.

I made and instructional video on how to service the drive shaft. You can also find it on the product page in the manuals and support tab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jIP2y-IpE

MADRCER
03-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Great video! Looks like you're having fun. Definitely a new learning curve with a jet boat for those of us who have only experienced prop boats before. One of my main goals was to make the boat carve the way it does without breaking traction or rolling over. It is a bit like a mouse, as you describe it, but it will get better once you get used to how little steering input it needs while on power. The acceleration is almost comical to me. Looks like someone sped up the video, lol.

I made and instructional video on how to service the drive shaft. You can also find it on the product page in the manuals and support tab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jIP2y-IpE

Good to know there is a video on the shaft servicing as well.

I have a problem with mine now.... It seems to go into low voltage cut off (limp mode) way to early. I ran it again today and it shuts down about 45 seconds into a run and runs half throttle. On glass water I did get 30mph running 3s before it shut down. Horizon tech had me make sure the cut off was on 4 beeps (for 3.2volt cell cut off) and it was, but still the same thing turns off 1 minute into the run under full throttle and the red light is flashing on the ESC. Do you think the ESC is bad? The are sending me out a replacement one tomorrow. Here is a video of it during the 30mph 3s run today, notice when it stalls out 45 min into the run. I have tried 3 different batteries and all the same thing. I turn the ESC off and back on again and it runs fine for a very short time then goes back into "limp mode". Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRl6oMMKNw&t=6s

Rafael_Lopez
03-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Check your individual cell voltage when it goes in to limp mode. The ESC will shut down if there is a cell below the threshold. Don't power cycle the boat while checking since keeping a light load on the pack will maintain the low voltage on the cell that could be lower than the rest, possibly causing the issue. Once you disconnect or turn it off the cells tend to recuperate.

I doubt that you have 3 different batteries that are bad but we have to start off with what could be throwing it in to LVC. I found that some packs have cells that fall way out of voltage under load. Let me know how it goes.

MADRCER
03-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Check your individual cell voltage when it goes in to limp mode. The ESC will shut down if there is a cell below the threshold. Don't power cycle the boat while checking since keeping a light load on the pack will maintain the low voltage on the cell that could be lower than the rest, possibly causing the issue. Once you disconnect or turn it off the cells tend to recuperate.

I doubt that you have 3 different batteries that are bad but we have to start off with what could be throwing it in to LVC. I found that some packs have cells that fall way out of voltage under load. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow. I do know that when I put the batteries on my charger when I got finished running after having these issues they all were around 4 volts each on all packs.

Rafael_Lopez
03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
.4 is quite a bit off once they have recovered. You may find that under load they are falling pretty far off balance, more than just .4 of a volt, but let me know what you find out. We do all our testing with the batteries we recommend and we only experienced what you are describing with weak packs that fell off voltage under load.

Like I mentioned above, try and not power off the boat and get each cell's voltage. This will get me a better idea for what is happening with your ESC and your packs.

skeeler
03-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Rafael's "street boating" video got posted at Big Squid today. Rafael, did you send that to them, or did they choose it on their own?

DBJr
03-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Ran this thing today. Definitely takes some getting used to especially since I decided to go 4S but what a blast. Heck, I think this thing does better donuts than both of my air boats.:biggrin:

With that being said, I was experiencing quite a bit of porpoising especially as I got near full throttle. My pond water is always a bit on the choppy side due to the pond fountain in it that runs all day.

To stop porpoising, is it best to adjust the nozzle up or down???

MADRCER
03-09-2017, 07:47 PM
.4 is quite a bit off once they have recovered. You may find that under load they are falling pretty far off balance, more than just .4 of a volt, but let me know what you find out. We do all our testing with the batteries we recommend and we only experienced what you are describing with weak packs that fell off voltage under load.

Like I mentioned above, try and not power off the boat and get each cell's voltage. This will get me a better idea for what is happening with your ESC and your packs.

Ok I believe I found the problem. The motor had some resistance when trying to turn it by hand and it had a clinging sound as it spun around. I noticed what appeared to be small square magnets right beside the Dynamite sticker of the motor hanging out past the gap where they shouldn't be and I touched it with my fingernail and it seemed to go back into place. Now no more clinging and ran smooth, so I went and tested it and it ran fine 31mph(WOW!!!) on 3s 3800mah for almost 8 minutes and then I bring it back in take the cover off and put in a 4s battery to try that and the I noticed the resistance was back in the motor so I noticed the square magnets or whatever they are had shifted again so I pop them back with my fingernail and try it again for a real speed run, LOL....but the boat would only go about 10mph from the start, so I bring it back in and motor spins free change to another battery and same thing 10mph so I believe I have a motor issue and not a ESC issue. I think the extra resistance from the motor yesterday was causing the ESC to go into overload protection and not LVC like I initially thought, so now I have a motor on the way from Horizon. Does anyone think my theory is right? I don't know a whole lot about brushless internals. I would bet anything this Boat will do 35 mph on glass water running 4s 40-50c batteries. I will find this out if I can ever get it to act right again. LOL

Rafael_Lopez
03-09-2017, 08:02 PM
They chose it on their own, I had no idea. It was a humbling surprise.:buttrock:

MADRCER
03-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Ran this thing today. Definitely takes some getting used to especially since I decided to go 4S but what a blast. Heck, I think this thing does better donuts than both of my air boats.:biggrin:

With that being said, I was experiencing quite a bit of porpoising especially as I got near full throttle. My pond water is always a bit on the choppy side due to the pond fountain in it that runs all day.

To stop porpoising, is it best to adjust the nozzle up or down???

LMAO on the donuts....I feel your pain....You can only go up on the jet discharge tube because it s all the way down from the factory. Raise it up and you will really spin out on high speed turns unless you are in high and heavy rapids ..Ask me how I know Lol...

DBJr
03-09-2017, 08:16 PM
LMAO on the donuts....I feel your pain....You can only go up on the jet discharge tube because it s all the way down from the factory. Raise it up and you will really spin out on high speed turns unless you are in high and heavy rapids ..Ask me how I know Lol...

The donuts were a blast due to the shear volume of water that was getting kicked up and it was about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I'll get video the next time I do it.;)

I noticed the nozzle was tilted all the way down. I ran it in the stock position this morning, raised it a tad and tried that this evening. Maybe this is just the nature of jet boats at high speed.

Rafael_Lopez
03-09-2017, 08:50 PM
The nozzle is pointed all the way down to allow the boat to run as smooth as possible on open water, which is where I assumed most people would run. If running in a rough stream where you need to keep the bow out of the rapids and I'd advise adding some positive trim.

DBJr
03-09-2017, 09:02 PM
The nozzle is pointed all the way down to allow the boat to run as smooth as possible on open water, which is where I assumed most people would run. If running in a rough stream where you need to keep the bow out of the rapids and I'd advise adding some positive trim.

Sounds good. I'll give it a try.:thumbup1:

This is definitely a new experience for me. I'm normally used to air boats and standard prop boats but I love this.

MADRCER
03-10-2017, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=MADRCER;686094]Ok I believe I found the problem. The motor had some resistance when trying to turn it by hand and it had a clinging sound as it spun around. I noticed what appeared to be small square magnets right beside the Dynamite sticker of the motor hanging out past the gap where they shouldn't be and I touched it with my fingernail and it seemed to go back into place. Now no more clinging and ran smooth, so I went and tested it and it ran fine 31mph(WOW!!!) on 3s 3800mah for almost 8 minutes and then I bring it back in take the cover off and put in a 4s battery to try that and the I noticed the resistance was back in the motor so I noticed the square magnets or whatever they are had shifted again so I pop them back with my fingernail and try it again for a real speed run, LOL....but the boat would only go about 10mph from the start, so I bring it back in and motor spins free change to another battery and same thing 10mph so I believe I have a motor issue and not a ESC issue. I think the extra resistance from the motor yesterday was causing the ESC to go into overload protection and not LVC like I initially thought, so now I have a motor on the way from Horizon. Does anyone think my theory is right? I don't know a whole lot about brushless internals. I would bet anything this Boat will do 35 mph on glass water running 4s 40-50c batteries. I will find this out if I can ever get it to act right again. LOL

The magnets did come unglued in the bell of the motor if anyone is still in suspense on my issues. I glued them back in place but it looks like my coils suffered some slight damage as well. I did run two more packs through it after I re-glued them in with Baking soda and CA glue and it ran fine. The motor isn't perfect but I did eliminate the ESC being the issue with the (LVC). Hopefully this isn't going to be a wide spread issue. Anyways, I hope I helped someone if they have similar issues.

DBJr
03-11-2017, 12:47 AM
I found that I had 2 magnets loose in my motor as well. I took the motor apart and glued the magnets back in place with CA. I'm just wondering if I should trust this motor or try to request a new one from Horizon.

MADRCER
03-11-2017, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=DBJr;686180]I found that I had 2 magnets loose in my motor as well. I took the motor apart and glued the magnets back in place with CA. I'm just wondering if I should trust this motor or try to request a new one from Horizon.[/QUOTE

I told Horizon what my problem was and they are sending me a replacement. This is a lot of money for a boat of this size and if I were you I would request a replacement as well. I don't know if this motor is trustworthy or not. It looks like it was developed just for this boat a few weeks ago. This really concerns me...I was hoping it was just a fluke with mine. I question if this motor is capable of being revved out of water and causing it to potentially sling magnets. We have no choice to rev it and almost abuse it (so to speak) using the self righting technique.. Or maybe the motor is heating up to much and causing the CA to start to melt then causing this problem. Mine only felt warm every run. Let's see if Rafael has heard anything else about this.

DBJr
03-11-2017, 01:12 AM
I think that's what I'll do. If this motor decides to fling a magnet or two at 30,000+ RPM, that will be downright ugly. Not to mention I disassembled my pump assembly earlier to grease it and found signs of minor scratching on the inside of the pump housing. It appears the impeller was slightly rubbing on the pump housing. Thankfully I was able to clean up the edges of the impeller blades with my fingernail.

MADRCER
03-11-2017, 01:15 AM
I think that's what I'll do. If this motor decides to fling a magnet or two at 30,000+ RPM, that will be downright ugly. Not to mention I disassembled my pump assembly earlier to grease it and found signs of minor scratching on the inside of the pump housing. It appears the impeller was slightly rubbing on the pump housing. Thankfully I was able to clean up the edges of the impeller blades with my fingernail.

Did you experience power issues and then check the magnets or just notice them loose?

DBJr
03-11-2017, 01:19 AM
I just noticed they were loose. I then remembered your posts about your motor issues.

Heck I'm glad though. I really wanted to run the crap out of this thing this weekend but I might have just avoided a potential catastrophe. I'm not sure if you know this but the fact is that if a brushless motor blows up, it can and may very well take out the ESC with it.

Rafael_Lopez
03-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks for bringing up the issues with the motors. I'll discuss this with my team since we didn't see any like this during development.

Please don't risk glueing anything inside the motor back on. Call and request replacements. If need be have product support reach out to me via email.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys, but we'll make sure to make it right.

MADRCER
03-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Thanks for bringing up the issues with the motors. I'll discuss this with my team since we didn't see any like this during development.

Please don't risk glueing anything inside the motor back on. Call and request replacements. If need be have product support reach out to me via email.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys, but we'll make sure to make it right.

Thanks for your support as well! Please keep us posted on any findings.

DBJr
03-12-2017, 10:43 PM
I was chatting with Rafael over on RC Groups and he said you can use a suitable 3650 or 3660 size inrunner motor in the 2200kv-2600kv range and it will bolt onto the stock motor mount without modifications. I didn't think it was possible but since he designed this boat and knows it better than anybody, I believe him.

I was looking on OSE and Steve has a nice Leopard X2 3660 2380kv motor that looks like it would work just fine. Of course I plan to use the replacement stock motor that Horizon is sending me first but if that decides to throw magnets, then I'll try this.

Rafael, thank you so much for your support as well.:smile:

MADRCER
03-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Good to know! I glued around all my magnets and so far 4 packs through it today with no more issues. Here is a self-righting test that I have had a few people asking me about if anyone is interested in knowing how it self rights on 4s vs 3s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-y4tsaLi-U&t=0s

Rafael_Lopez
03-14-2017, 01:56 PM
For those of you with motors that had magnets come loose inside and are getting new motors from Horizon, can you please message me so I can send you call tags to get them back? we need to look in to this further.

Thanks.

Donny
03-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Thinking about getting one. What I'm wondering is why the low Mah on the batteries? Why not a 4-5000 mah to increase run time ?

MADRCER
03-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Thinking about getting one. What I'm wondering is why the low Mah on the batteries? Why not a 4-5000 mah to increase run time ?
5000mah Battery is too heavy for the boat. It already leans heavily to one side with a 4000mah 4s in it. 4,000mah does work fine though.

DBJr
03-24-2017, 11:49 PM
5000mah Battery is too heavy for the boat. It already leans heavily to one side with a 4000mah 4s in it. 4,000mah does work fine though.

I thought about using a 4S 4000mAh pack but was concerned about the weight so I decided to go with a 4S 3300mAh pack. It still leans to the battery side a bit but not too bad.

Donny
03-25-2017, 09:31 AM
What would be the largest mah and c rating on a 3 cell would you all rocommend ?

MADRCER
03-25-2017, 10:01 AM
What would be the largest mah and c rating on a 3 cell would you all rocommend ?

I use 3s 3800mah Gens Ace 45c and it works well. My 4s pack is a 2200mah (for quick speed runs) or a 4000mah both are 30c. I think 4s is a bit too much IMHO, because I find myself turning the throttle rate down because it is very quick and nimble and causes it to be uncontrollable at times. The higher the c rating the better, but you don't need a 90c pack by no means) and don't put anything in it under a quality 30c pack for sure.

MADRCER
03-25-2017, 10:15 AM
I thought about using a 4S 4000mAh pack but was concerned about the weight so I decided to go with a 4S 3300mAh pack. It still leans to the battery side a bit but not too bad.

Yea, good move on your part. I run the 4s 2200mah more than the 4s 4,000... but both do work depending on where I'm running it 3300mah should be the optimum range of size and weight.

skeeler
03-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Has anyone experimented with using a 2S pack in the stock location and another 2S on the right side somewhere? I'd guess that would balance the boat better.

DBJr
03-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Has anyone experimented with using a 2S pack in the stock location and another 2S on the right side somewhere? I'd guess that would balance the boat better.

Unfortunately there is no room for another pack because you have the ESC and receiver on the other side. Not to mention the slot for the optional trim servo would get in the way and the ESC is not wired for 2 packs in series.

Donny
03-25-2017, 04:12 PM
It happened 😀

fweasel
03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Has anyone experimented with using a 2S pack in the stock location and another 2S on the right side somewhere? I'd guess that would balance the boat better.that would pretty much kill the self righting ability, seeing how there are reported difficulties doing so on 3S

skeeler
03-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately there is no room for another pack because you have the ESC and receiver on the other side. Not to mention the slot for the optional trim servo would get in the way and the ESC is not wired for 2 packs in series.

Yeah, I included moving the ESC and Rx as well as mounting a battery try under the admittedly unspecific "experimented with." Rewiring the ESC to accept packs in series is trivial.

Rafael_Lopez
03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
If you are running in open water the chances of flipping are less than any other boat because there is no protruding equipment to grab and force the boat over. I don't run self right in mine. I run a inrunner with s straight coupling and have yet to flip it **knock on wood. Its a much more predictable and better performing boat with no steering bias.

Now, If I were to go run in rough water, I wouldn't run without it. I'd have to be in rough water and have to watch my boat float away on its lid.

skeeler
03-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Which inrunner are you using, Rafael? And why did you go to an in runner instead of the stock outrunner?

Rafael_Lopez
03-28-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm using a sample Dynamite 36x62 mm motor I had which is 2400kv. I have two boats. One is stock and the other lacks the outrunner and weighted flywheel. Why? Because I personally don't like the self right feature. In as many times as I've run the boat I can count in one hand how many times I've had to use the feature and it was on purpose after driving it to intentionally trying to flip it over.

Sachaken
03-29-2017, 05:34 AM
I went to my local shop yesterday and got a river jet. I went to the pond in the afternoon and really liked the boat. But after 2 minutes I noticed a strange noice. I checked the boat and there were 4 magnets already loose in the boat.
Already with the first battery? Serious? After that, on 4s the boat ran full out for about 10 seconds. than the boat ran 50procent. tried different batteries but no success. sometimes the with the battery i could run a full battery normal, sometimes it hit lvc after 10 seconds with the same battery. I don't know what the problem is.

fweasel
03-29-2017, 08:49 AM
The motor magnet issue is known and Rafael/Proboat met with their motor supplier this week to discuss a solution. You can call Horizon to get a replacement, but it could, and has, happen again.

Donny
04-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Just got a notice from the hobby shop I bought my boat from to call Horizon. Called tech support than was told to check where the transom meets the hull and look for pinholes or if spots of light show thru. Was told to coat the area with CA glue to fix. Haven't checked my boat yet but it's advised to do so.

Rafael_Lopez
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
If your boat is not taking on water and you don't plan to run it across rocks or asphalt like I do, then you should not have issues with the thin hull. When we get new hulls you can certainly get a new one and replace it at your convenience. I'd save it for a rainy day or for when its actually taking on water beyond being able to fix it with CA and accelerator.

We know the issues is there but it seems to me that it doesn't become an issue until people actually see it. We have very, very few boats that actually have holes. What appears to be holes is just light reflecting through the material.

Donny
04-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Just ran it today and wow. It takes some time to get used to the sensitivity of the steering at high speed and the lack of steering at low. Lol. Oh, forget about turning when coasting to a stop lol. Great little boat so far :)

Rafael_Lopez
04-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Yup, as with anything jet pump powered, 1:1 or R/C models, if you don't have throttle you don't have steering. Takes a while to get used to but once you get it you don't forget.

sundog
04-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Just ran it today and wow. It takes some time to get used to the sensitivity of the steering at high speed and the lack of steering at low. Lol. Oh, forget about turning when coasting to a stop lol. Great little boat so far :)

I have a Mods, Tips and Tricks (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2869771-River-Jet-Mods-Tips-and-Tricks) thread that addresses problems with this boat including the sensitive steering. It includes a reverse bucket you can make on a 3D printer. Sdg

Mxkid261
08-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Anyone that has one of these ever get an update on whats going on? I was really interested and was about to buy one until they pulled them and couldn't find one anywhere.

DBJr
08-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Anyone that has one of these ever get an update on whats going on? I was really interested and was about to buy one until they pulled them and couldn't find one anywhere.

Nope. I haven't heard a word.

They were pulled because quite a few of us that bought one had issues like weak hulls, motor magnet issues, cracking impellers and melting pump housings.

Thankfully I haven't had an issue with the hull but I have experienced the other issues I mentioned with mine.

Mxkid261
08-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes I'm aware of all the issues, I was just wondering if PB support had given anyone any updates.

Sachaken
08-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Mine is sitting on the shelf for three months now with a broken impeller. Still nowhere to find a replacement. they are out of stock since months.

Mxkid261
08-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Mine is sitting on the shelf for three months now with a broken impeller. Still nowhere to find a replacement. they are out of stock since months.

That sucks. They haven't even given you an update of when they'll have a new shipment of impellers?

DBJr
08-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Last I checked, it is now mid October.

First it was June, then July, then August, then September and now October. There are also more parts, pump housing, hull etc that are backordered as well. I wouldn't think it would take this long to get these issues worked out. I am really starting to wonder if this boat was secretly discontinued. The next shipment of boats just says TBD.

Maybe the newly released boats like the UL-19 hydro and the soon to be released Veles 29 took priority.

Livnonthedge
08-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Hey sachaken
Call horizon hobby service dept and tell them you need an impeller yours cracked,they have some spares they will send you one. I just got one yesterday

Mxkid261
11-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Figured I'd post in here in case others are wondering about the revised models. I just received one of the updated boats from my wife for an early christmas present. I've got about 45 minutes to an hour total run time and so far not one issue. Only ran it on 3s which is perfect for what its designed for IMO. Very fun to beat around on in rough water or in some rapids. I did change out the servo from day one. The steering isn't the best. Shrinking the inside diameter of the steering nozzle a small amount with a nylon spacer or something similar helped immensely. Steers much better without having to crank it. Will report back after more run time. Also I will add I am using a large 7200mah 3s pack and the boat will still self right.

prepered
03-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Hi guys.

Just buy a River jet but not sure how to tjek if its old or new version. ?? what to look for. and any advice before I start use it.

Thanks. :sinking-guy:

Rafael_Lopez
03-28-2018, 01:14 PM
The latest version will have sticker over the original recommended battery on the box. The latest version will recommend a 5000mAh 11.1v pack instead of a 3200 mAh pack.

prepered
03-28-2018, 01:39 PM
The latest version will have sticker over the original recommended battery on the box. The latest version will recommend a 5000mAh 11.1v pack instead of a 3200 mAh pack.

Thanks Rafael then its the new one I got. :thumbup1: I can use 3 and 4s right ?? have some 5000 mah 3 and 4 s. will 5000 mah 4s be to heavy. ??

Rafael_Lopez
03-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Good to hear. Yup, 3 and 4s. In regards to 5000 4s, if you can shoehorn it in there, go for it. But it may be hard to turn to the right with that much weight on the left.

prepered
03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Good to hear. Yup, 3 and 4s. In regards to 5000 4s, if you can shoehorn it in there, go for it. But it may be hard to turn to the right with that much weight on the left.

Okey Rafael :iagree: just try put a 5000 4s in. :bash: danm its tight think I will try some smaller ones. 5000 3s fits fine I will go test it out tomorrow . appreciate you help .:usa:

sundog
03-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Here is a thread on mods, tips and tricks (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2869771-River-Jet-Mods-Tips-and-Tricks) :bowdown:for the Proboat River Jet.

And here is a custom steering nozzle (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures):rockon2: you can get to tighten up the steering
as well as a reverse bucket/nozzle (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures) :banana:you can use in place of the 'adjustable trim' :huh:3rd channel feature. Enjoy.

Mxkid261
03-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Ditch the factory servo. Mine wouldn't center from day one, never even tried using it. Pickup something to shrink the steering nozzle ID. (I used a $3 brass flanged sleeve). Never ran it on 4s, unnecessary IMO. 3s is perfect but I strictly run mine in rivers, haven't even had it on flat water. Drill a hole for a grease port. I'd recommend the Modified R/C aluminum intake grate, I sucked up some rocks and destroyed an impeller on the 2nd run. I've been running this since then (probably 30 runs) and haven't had any issue. Also the stator bearing mod works well. Hull takes a beating if you are running in rocky rivers, I've punched 2 small holes through my hull back near the pump outlet. That all being said, its probably my favorite boat. I haven't touched any of my fast stuff with a prop in months, been having too much fun bashing in rivers with this. Hull definitely needs some reinforcing if you plan on bouncing off rocks.

https://youtu.be/TfYOafRLI8o

prepered
03-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Ditch the factory servo. Mine wouldn't center from day one, never even tried using it. Pickup something to shrink the steering nozzle ID. (I used a $3 brass flanged sleeve). Never ran it on 4s, unnecessary IMO. 3s is perfect but I strictly run mine in rivers, haven't even had it on flat water. Drill a hole for a grease port. I'd recommend the Modified R/C aluminum intake grate, I sucked up some rocks and destroyed an impeller on the 2nd run. I've been running this since then (probably 30 runs) and haven't had any issue. Also the stator bearing mod works well. Hull takes a beating if you are running in rocky rivers, I've punched 2 small holes through my hull back near the pump outlet. That all being said, its probably my favorite boat. I haven't touched any of my fast stuff with a prop in months, been having too much fun bashing in rivers with this. Hull definitely needs some reinforcing if you plan on bouncing off rocks.

https://youtu.be/TfYOafRLI8o

Awesome I can see what you mean. I take the back of pumphouse of and grease the shaft not that it needed it but to make sure. and yeah the servo sucks big time can't even center good. think I will replace that after 1,st run tomorrow . I going to the open sea to jump some waves. Thanks for the input . And nice video :buttrock:

Mxkid261
03-28-2018, 05:25 PM
No problem! Definitely drill a hole in the pump housing for a grease port, then you aren't taking everything apart to grease the shaft. Pop a grub screw out, shoot in a little grease, done. :thumbup1:

prepered
03-28-2018, 05:42 PM
No problem! Definitely drill a hole in the pump housing for a grease port, then you aren't taking everything apart to grease the shaft. Pop a grub screw out, shoot in a little grease, done. :thumbup1:

Do you by any chance have a picture how and where you drill hole for grease screw.

MADRCER
03-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Do you by any chance have a picture how and where you drill hole for grease screw.

158094 158095

sundog
03-28-2018, 06:13 PM

It's all covered in that Mods, tips and tricks link I posted.

prepered
03-28-2018, 06:20 PM
158094 158095

Smart thanks guys that will make it easy to grease. :banana:

prepered
03-29-2018, 04:18 PM
1,st run today was a disaster . after I run first lipo pack around 3-4 min radio lost connection and lost all control ( not LVC ). I manage to recover the boat. after I rebind the radio and calibrate throttle. I try a new run whit fresh lipo pack. but it lost connection again and lost boat :bash: I will try to recover it tomorrow if I can find it. :doh:

boatsrnew2me
03-29-2018, 04:38 PM
you were so far away you couldn't see it? or it get swept away? how you lose sight of it?

Mxkid261
03-30-2018, 08:36 AM
1,st run today was a disaster . after I run first lipo pack around 3-4 min radio lost connection and lost all control ( not LVC ). I manage to recover the boat. after I rebind the radio and calibrate throttle. I try a new run whit fresh lipo pack. but it lost connection again and lost boat :bash: I will try to recover it tomorrow if I can find it. :doh:

You know thats odd you mention this. My radio system glitched a couple times the first few times I used the boat. I just pulled the stock crap out and put my normal stuff I use in it. No issues since then. Sorry about the boat, hopefully you find it. Where exactly where you running? How did you lose sight of it?

prepered
03-30-2018, 11:37 AM
You know thats odd you mention this. My radio system glitched a couple times the first few times I used the boat. I just pulled the stock crap out and put my normal stuff I use in it. No issues since then. Sorry about the boat, hopefully you find it. Where exactly where you running? How did you lose sight of it?

Got it back today after 24 hour in the ice :Sinking: Now I have to find out what went wrong whit radio or ESC. Danm every time I buy a new Proboat the sh*t breaks in 1/2 a lipo pack. :bash:

158115 158116

Mxkid261
03-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Glad you at least found it! I would try a re-bind and if it still acts up contact horizon or just ditch the stuff. I've never had good luck with spektrum but its always been with their bottom dollar stuff. I tried the stock river jet radio in a motley crue a week ago that I'm selling to a buddy and it glitched a couple times. I took the stuff out and its in a box of spare crap where it'll stay forever probably Lol.

prepered
03-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Glad you at least found it! I would try a re-bind and if it still acts up contact horizon or just ditch the stuff. I've never had good luck with spektrum but its always been with their bottom dollar stuff. I tried the stock river jet radio in a motley crue a week ago that I'm selling to a buddy and it glitched a couple times. I took the stuff out and its in a box of spare crap where it'll stay forever probably Lol.

Yeah for sure I will test it whit one of my other radios / receiver when its dry up. I also think its a *!***!***!***!** radio. :ThumbsDown01:

Here is wa what happed. https://youtu.be/Qdo9_73Yotw

prepered
03-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Made the lube hole and add a nippel from a water cap . turn out nice much easy to lube the shaft now :thumbup1:

158139 158140 158141

fweasel
03-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Nice work. Hope you get your radio issues worked out too.

prepered
03-31-2018, 03:31 PM
Nice work. Hope you get your radio issues worked out too.

Yes I install another radio / receiver so should be gode to go for a test tommorow. :thumbup:

Test it out whit new radio system today and now it works as it suppose to. Run 2 lipo pack whit no issue.:thumbup:

https://youtu.be/0sQOymMpujU

Mxkid261
04-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Glad to see everything worked out for you.

prepered
04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Glad to see everything worked out for you.

Yeah Thanks finally it works as it suppose to :buttrock: Will contact proboat about the faulty radio system. I notice when I run full speed its very difficult to turn smooth I think its about the stock nozzle :ThumbsDown01: does it help whit the upgrade nozzle. Will it make it more easy to control. ?

Mxkid261
04-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Yes turning in general sucks with the stock nozzle until you reduce the I.D of it. You can purchase the nozzle the one guy makes, or simply install something like this into the stock nozzle like I did.

https://www.grainger.com/product/12R652?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166594628855!!!g!82166691837!&ef_id=V6x5mAAAADqCpeRa:20180402162714:s

prepered
04-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Yes turning in general sucks with the stock nozzle until you reduce the I.D of it. You can purchase the nozzle the one guy makes, or simply install something like this into the stock nozzle like I did.

https://www.grainger.com/product/12R652?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166594628855!!!g!82166691837!&ef_id=V6x5mAAAADqCpeRa:20180402162714:s

I will look into this issue whit nozzle . Thanks for your help appreciate it :beerchug:

prepered
04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Have any one try put a inrunnner in there River jet. I have a DYNM3910 is that to much power for it. ?? will also replace esc whit a 120 amp seaking. Good or bade idear :help:

158235 158236

boatsrnew2me
04-03-2018, 04:50 PM
i would think you will lose the self righting ability

fweasel
04-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I believe Rafael Lopez runs an inrunner on his, but I don't recall the specs. You will definitely loose the self righting feature with an inrunner motor, like boatsrnew2me mentioned.

DBJr
04-03-2018, 10:20 PM
I installed a Leopard 3650 1650kv motor in my River Jet and it runs perfectly on 4S. Everything runs much cooler and more efficiently compared to the stock 2300kv outrunner.

As far as flipping the boat, I've only had it happen twice and I didn't find the self righting feature to work too well and I think the constant back and forth motion is hard on the electronics and might be at least partially to blame for motors from the original production run throwing magnets but some might disagree with me on this but that's cool.

Mxkid261
04-04-2018, 09:42 AM
Inrunner vs an outrunner probably depends on your intentions with the boat. I self-right mine almost every time I run it, but mine has never even seen flat water. I only use it in rapids, so flipping happens sometime's, and it's really convenient to blip the throttle a couple times and roll it over instead of chasing it down river. I'll add, I have the version 2 so the motor may be better quality than the originals, and I only run on 3s. The boat self rights very easily for me, 1/4 throttle at most, is all about rocking it a little. I have been beating the crap out of mine and it has held up pretty good so far. Just added a skid plate to the keel, it takes a beating on the rocks.

CraigP
04-04-2018, 10:33 AM
There you go! More need to get on that Aluminum Train! Nicely done!

sundog
04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Mxkid261, you might consider grinding a taper on the leading edge of your skid plate so it won't catch on anything. FTR, I don't make the upgraded steering nozzle, I just designed it. Shapeways makes them out of super durable Nylon. Sundog

Mxkid261
04-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Mxkid261, you might consider grinding a taper on the leading edge of your skid plate so it won't catch on anything. FTR, I don't make the upgraded steering nozzle, I just designed it. Shapeways makes them out of super durable Nylon. Sundog

Thanks I did end up putting a bevel on the front end

Mxkid261
04-08-2018, 08:22 PM
An led light bar and cooler of beer made things interesting at my buddies this past weekend

NewbieRiverJet
04-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone. Sorry if I am not posting this in the right area. I bought two new River Jet 23 Boats at the end of March. One for me and one for my son. The steering on both is sluggish to return to centre after steering right. I haven't used mine yet as I have tried to help my son with his over the last two weekends. I have a major issue with his. Both times the boat became unresponsive. The first time I assumed it was the 5000mAh 3S Li-po that the retailer recommended. I bought volt checker / alarm and fitted it for him this weekend before setting the alarm to sound at 3.5v. The boat became unresponsive and when I brought it in the battery was reading 3.8v. There was some water in the boat so I let it dry out a little. When I turned it back on the esc didn't go through the usual start up sequence. Instead there was nothing and the on light illuminated. After a couple of seconds the esc started to beep / flash green once every second or so and the transmitter didn't work when I tried to steer right or left. My son has only been using the boat on 50% power whilst learning to use it but has bashed into the concrete edging of our local lake with it a few times. Lots of scratches but no holes thankfully. Does anyone know why the esc is beeping / flashing and the boat is not responding?

prepered
04-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry if I am not posting this in the right area. I bought two new River Jet 23 Boats at the end of March. One for me and one for my son. The steering on both is sluggish to return to centre after steering right. I haven't used mine yet as I have tried to help my son with his over the last two weekends. I have a major issue with his. Both times the boat became unresponsive. The first time I assumed it was the 5000mAh 3S Li-po that the retailer recommended. I bought volt checker / alarm and fitted it for him this weekend before setting the alarm to sound at 3.5v. The boat became unresponsive and when I brought it in the battery was reading 3.8v. There was some water in the boat so I let it dry out a little. When I turned it back on the esc didn't go through the usual start up sequence. Instead there was nothing and the on light illuminated. After a couple of seconds the esc started to beep / flash green once every second or so and the transmitter didn't work when I tried to steer right or left. My son has only been using the boat on 50% power whilst learning to use it but has bashed into the concrete edging of our local lake with it a few times. Lots of scratches but no holes thankfully. Does anyone know why the esc is beeping / flashing and the boat is not responding?

Hi i hade same problem, 1.st the servo is slow I can't return to center very well. replace it. 2. My did get a faulty receiver after about 30 sek in 1.st run. got a new on warranty.

NewbieRiverJet
04-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed the retailer and horizon about the problem today so hopefully one or the other will come back and offer the replacement receiver. Did yours flash and beep too? Did you have to buy a new servo or did you get a replacement under warranty?

prepered
04-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have emailed the retailer and horizon about the problem today so hopefully one or the other will come back and offer the replacement receiver. Did yours flash and beep too? Did you have to buy a new servo or did you get a replacement under warranty?

Yes mine did flash green and made bip bip bip. about the servo I both a better one don't think the replacement one on warranty will be better. :ThumbsDown01:

DBJr
04-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Replace the stock S603 servo with an S605 servo. Works much better and even though it's a tad larger, it will fit without an issue. It also has metal gears so it will be more durable as well.

martym10
05-09-2018, 03:29 PM
https://youtu.be/ETmoYddr_Ag

Very good feeling on this slalom course.

martym10
05-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Today second try on canoe slalom course.
Made foam roof for quicker self righting as you don’t have time for classic one in such wild water.
Steering nozzle trim is now full up and its much better on big waves. It can jump now well :)

https://youtu.be/FaQAodoRo-w

goobs
06-01-2018, 11:17 AM
thinking about one of these for my upcoming river trip, how are the "new" ones holding up?
looks like immediate upgrades are the grease port and bottom intake, any others?

Mxkid261
06-01-2018, 12:02 PM
thinking about one of these for my upcoming river trip, how are the "new" ones holding up?
looks like immediate upgrades are the grease port and bottom intake, any others?

Stock radio sucks, stock servo is worthless, other than that no issues here. I beat the crap out of mine, lots of scratches, gouges, and have put a couple small holes in the keel of the hull. Other than that, I love the thing. I have way more fun bashing around in river's than running anything else I own. Fast boat's don't even really do it for me anymore Lol.

goobs
06-01-2018, 12:22 PM
nice to hear @Mxkid261 i started with an AC rio ep, then bought a kyosho hurricane 900 (never seen water lol) and now im looking into this boat.
trying to make my time at the river more fun. boats are still "new" to me im a hardcore crawler/scale guy so im still learning the ins and outs.

sundog
06-01-2018, 12:31 PM

The most important one may be the improved steering nozzle (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures) that eliminates the 'dead zones' to either side of center which makes for jumpy (seems like 'sensitive') steering.

Then (in order of importance - or what usually breaks first) would come the grease port mod (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2869771-River-Jet-Mods-Tips-and-Tricks#post37302873), the stuffing tube support elimination and the easier battery containment mod. Be aware the stuffing tube support mod (puts a bearing at the stator end) will slow the boat down some, but it will be rock solid and no spider bracket to fail (requiring a jet drive replacement)

Then Pilot Johns beautiful intake grate (https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mod-6000) and maybe the Reverse bucket (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures) option which replaces the nozzle trim (which is really of limited use).

goobs
06-01-2018, 12:50 PM
The most important one may be the improved steering nozzle (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures) that eliminates the 'dead zones' to either side of center which makes for jumpy (seems like 'sensitive') steering.

Then (in order of importance - or what usually breaks first) would come the grease port mod (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2869771-River-Jet-Mods-Tips-and-Tricks#post37302873), the stuffing tube support elimination and the easier battery containment mod. Be aware the stuffing tube support mod (puts a bearing at the stator end) will slow the boat down some, but it will be rock solid and no spider bracket to fail (requiring a jet drive replacement)

Then Pilot Johns beautiful intake grate (https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mod-6000) and maybe the Reverse bucket (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sundogz-adventures) option which replaces the nozzle trim (which is really of limited use).

gotcha, ive been reading your threads on another forum. lots of good info!