PDA

View Full Version : Location for water cooling pickup inlet

tebby2
01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Where is the best location to install the water cooling pickup inlet for a traditional solid shaft with rudder 1/9 scale model boat with left hand prop rotation. I assume it should be on the starboard side of the prop. Should the location be along side the prop, behind it, or closer to the transom centerline?. This hull will be a 42" downeast skeg design with a top speed of 22 mph.

TRUCKPULL
01-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Can we see some pictures of the hull and setup?

Larry

tebby2
01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Sorry, this boat is scratch built boat that is now under construction. There are no pictures, as this boat is no where near complete. I will include pictures of the CAD drawings - a profile view, and a fore and aft view of the body stations.148604148605

grsboats
01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Just put in between prop and front of rudder..it will work nicely.Gill

tebby2
01-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks Gill. That location will be very doable as this boat will have fiberglass hull. Should the location be closer to the centerline directly in front of the rudder stock, or offset to side to keep the pickup out of the skeg turbulence but within the prop stream?

srislash
01-07-2017, 10:15 PM
There are also real nice small pumps you can put in. Some scale stuff just moves too slow to build pressure and go thru the lines. I've had to do this on the GF's runabout.

tebby2
01-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Yes, I have done that with my large displacement hull tug, (mostly for the realism of cooling water flow over the side) using a Sullivan Streamer gear pump. Centrifugal impeller (think fish tank) pumps just don't pick up the water very well unless they are immersed in it. The tug's motors and ESC's stay super cool, around 88-90 degrees in August, according to my Spektrum telemetry.

My small ProBoat RTR models don't get close to 22 mph, but they have plenty of cooling with a stern mounted pickup tubes. The side cooling outlet confirms this - even at slower speeds. So I'm thinking that if the cooling pickup is mounted in the correct location, there should be plenty of cooling for the motor jacket and ESC at 20+ mph.

srislash
01-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Excellent, sounds like a nice fleet.