PDA

View Full Version : Avenger sillyness

roofintrash
12-30-2016, 06:59 AM
The wife got me this for xmas and the build has commenced. It's not going to be as sexy as most of the builds on here,but here it is so far. Going with Speedmaster stingers and rudder. A pair of tp 4050,1950kv motors fed by SF220s. 6s revos per side. This is just a play boat and I'm hoping it will be quick and dependable as long as I can keep it on the water!!!
Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

roofintrash
12-30-2016, 07:01 AM
A few more

roofintrash
12-30-2016, 07:07 AM
I got the stuffing tubes and supports in and am still mulling over ESC mounting. Not sure if I should put them under a CF plate for looks or mount them on top for easier access. I also thought about mounting them to the sponson sides to keep them tucked away but that looks like a real pain in the keester. Any opinions welcome.

fweasel
12-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Nice work so far.

TheShaddix
12-30-2016, 04:25 PM
be careful with those motor mounts. I got them a long time ago and the aluminum is pretty soft. Mine bent quite easily. If you can, you should reinforce them somehow.

iridebikes247
12-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Nice looking build. As TheShaddix said the motor mounts are a bit soft. If at some point you want to make the setup tougher, tail ring supports are an option but it might be a tight squeeze with the 4050 and the cooling jacket.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80600-RC

http://mbp-rc.de/Torque-Mount-40mm-Alu

roofintrash
12-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the tips on the mounts guys. I have just enough room behind the jackets for the rings so that's added to the to do list.

roofintrash
01-04-2017, 02:29 PM
To take care of the motor mount issue,I went over to my friend and boat partner John,who just happens to own Modified RC,and showed him what I wanted. Couple days later I picked these up from him and I'm thinking they should solve the issue. I just have to finish fitting the second one and it's JB Weld time.

TheShaddix
01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Definitely the proper solution! Those look great, your friend is skilled for sure. You won't have any issues with it bending now. I got fed up with weak motor mounts, so I just made some simple mold out of wood and I make mine with carbon. Every motor mount i have tried that's made of metal would always bend, either with a high torque motor or in a crash. With carbon it's not an issue. In your case you should be fine now.

Modified RC
01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Is it done yet? I can't wait to see this boat on the water!

I'm glad to be a part in the build, now hurry up and get it finished :laugh:

rearwheelin
01-07-2017, 04:00 AM
Nice build ! Great advice from other posters . Should be a sweet boat :thumbup:

roofintrash
01-07-2017, 10:19 AM
I got the rear motor supports installed. Very stout setup now. Thanks for the tips guys!! I also decided to make a couple speed control mounts and mount them on the outside of the sponsons. I figure this will allow me unlimited flexibility on battery placement.

NativePaul
01-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Do you really need that much angle on the motor? I have never seen a rear mount with that much lift on it.

roofintrash
01-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Do you really need that much angle on the motor? I have never seen a rear mount with that much lift on it.

The front mounts are the fixed angle aluminum variety and the rear of the motor falls just past the sponson step so it kinda exaggerates the length.

roofintrash
01-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Ive almost got this thing whooped now. Made up a pushrod exit,got the esc's in and all of the plumbing done. Steering servo and battery trays in too. Receiver box and cowl mounting tomorrow and this thing will be pretty much ready for the anticipated softening of our water in these parts. Thanks for looking.

fweasel
01-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Nice. Thought it looked warm enough to go fly the drone at the park, nearly lost all 10 fingers to the cold. I miss boating weather.

roofintrash
01-21-2017, 07:58 AM
I guess this ones ready for it's first beating. I made standoffs for the receiver box and tucked all the wiring away. Added a piece of 1/8" fiberglass where the rivnuts went thru the hull for hatch mounting for a little added insurance. Got my props from Dasboata and they are sweet. I have a windshield coming from Monojeff,and I'm just going to sticker it up for now. I hate painting and know I'd make it look like crap, so white it is. Now if this dang ice would just melt.

Modified RC
01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
After seeing the boat the other day, I have to say what a great job you did building it.

I bet I'm just as excited as you are to see this build on the water :laugh:

roofintrash
02-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks to global warming, here in the Chicago area, we got to run boats in February :rockon2: . First run I just put a 4s pack on each motor for the shakedown and had no unpleasant surprises. I forgot to turn on the gps but I would guess lower 50's. Had a nice attitude and best of all, NO issues. Let it sit for a bit and put in the 6s revos on each side. Wow was all I could say. Took it easy the first few passes and it was looking dialed. When I finally let it eat I was blown away. Perfectly level and looked like the only thing in the water was the props and rudder. No bounce or hopping at all and never looked like it was going to take flight. I probably could have got a little more out of it but was running out of pond.

Now for a question. My data logs from each side look like they came out of two different boats. 148amps v 240 amp spikes and 30000 rpm v 35000rpm. The voltages on both sides are about identical and the batteries are checking out all the same voltage after the run. Is this just an anomaly or is it just a twin thing? Both sides are super drag free on the drives and the boat tracks straight as an arrow.

All in all I'm tickled to death with this as the first time it hit the water. Thanks to everybody that offered advice and to Dasboata for the killer job on the props. More to come.

TRUCKPULL
02-19-2017, 07:08 PM
On both of my twin boats, I wired the ESC's so that they see the 2P setup.
This will solve your problem of the two batteries giving a different voltage under load.

If the packs are new this difference should balance out with a few runs on them.

When you do the wiring this way, the red wires from the two ESC's connected together,
When you connect the two black wires together, use a plug to do this connection, because you will have to disconnect the two ESC's from each other in order to do any program changes.

Larry

fweasel
02-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Nice run. I hope to get back to the lake tomorrow for more global warming boating season.

TRUCKPULL
02-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Thanks to everybody that offered advice and to Dasboata for the killer job on the props. More to come.

What props did you go with?

Larry

roofintrash
02-20-2017, 06:35 AM
What props did you go with?

Larry

Started out with ABC 1814-17-45. Ive also got a set of 447's. Chris suggested I start with the abc's and see how it goes. I need to shoot the lock off the wallet and get more batteries so I can do more testing.
I may also switch my cooling lines around as both esc's logs said 160. Motor and battery temps were both in the 90's. The ice just melted last week so I know the water is cold as hell, but I'm questioning the thru hull pickups the esc's are hooked to at speed. Probably just over thinking the whole thing.