PDA

View Full Version : Larrys DF Vortex 34 Hydro

LarrysDrifter
12-27-2016, 12:26 AM
After being out of the hobby for a few years, I decided to give it a whirl again. I've forgotten a lot, but after reading, searching and asking a few questions, it's coming back.
I was mostly into cats and monos before, so I figured I'd try a hydro to rewet my feet in the hobby. I think after I get this one done and tune on it to make it right, I'll move on to my PT SS45 and make that one a pretty sweet and very nice build with some higher end and more potent and reliable parts.

Anyway, onto my DF 34.....
Obviously it's red, which is cool. Wish it had a white bottom, which is my favorite color combo.
Hardware is all Speedmaster 21, with the turn fin from Mojo Racing and an upcoming custom fin bracket made by me.
Power will be a Leopard X2 4082 1600kv run on 6s Giant Power and Dinogy 3s packs...which I think are the same battery.
Speedo is a Seaking 180. Hitech WP servo, 2s RX pack.
Still need to buy a RX for my DX4S.

I started by filling in part of the air trap just behind the sponson transoms with epoxy mixed with milled FG, along with putting some in the sponson tips and in the top of the "cockpit".
Next, I reinforced the hatch with 2 layers of FG matting.
That's all I've got done so far. I need to make a longer motor mount to take advantage of a longer water jacket. The mount I have allows for only a roughly 50mm long jacket, leaving quite a bit of motor behind. Whether it needs it or not, I don't know, but I'd be more comfortable with a longer jacket and it'd look proper anyway. 148481148483

Fluid
12-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Glad you're back into FE. I'm not sure how you "started by filling in part of the air trap just behind the sponson transoms", the air traps are almost an inch deep there. It would be good if you posted pictures of what you are doing, the first pic is not at all helpful - nice car cover though.... ;)

LarrysDrifter
12-27-2016, 08:47 AM
I know, horrible pic. I wasn't going to post a thread and decided to last minute.
I had just filled the tips a bit, hence the boat on its nose.
Also, I apparently forgot to talk more about the air traps. I filled them in to level with the floor, about 4" past the sponson transoms. After I get a couple layers of FG the floor, I'm going to open up the air traps on the outside of the hull so air can escape and make a small air damn that directs the incoming air to the openings.
The expoxyi added will give me something to sand away, leaving that area the same thickness as the rest of the floor.
I'm confident this will work as intended, without adding unnecessary weight.
I'll post a pic after while.

ray schrauwen
12-27-2016, 03:05 PM
That will be interesting.

LarrysDrifter
12-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Don't think it'll work?
In my opinion, the air trap split I'll be doing doesn't have to go flush with the bottom of the hull. Just had to let some air escape. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Just trying an idea I came up with. I've read that these hulls pack too much air.
I'm not looking at this from a complete newbie point of view. I've put a lot of thought into it and I think it'll work and still be strong. If I screw up, I'll fix it.

As for posting a pic tonight....it's not going to happen. Maybe tomorrow.
My son was born today at 1:15, so he takes priority until things settle down and he gets home.

ray schrauwen
12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
No idea.

Congratulations on the new arrival!

fweasel
12-27-2016, 10:10 PM
My son was born today at 1:15, so he takes priority until things settle down and he gets home.Nicely done sir.

Fluid
12-28-2016, 08:18 AM
...In my opinion, the air trap split I'll be doing doesn't have to go flush with the bottom of the hull. Just had to let some air escape. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Just trying an idea I came up with.

You mean like this or this?

As for posting a pic tonight....My son was born today at 1:15, so he takes priority until things settle down and he gets home.

Congratulations, I hope mom and son are doing great!

ray schrauwen
12-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Cool pics

LarrysDrifter
12-28-2016, 10:09 AM
Jay, like the red one on top. To start anyway. I'll run it and if it needs an air damn, I'll make one like the second pic to direct the airflow out to the sides where the air traps will be opened up.
Hopefully, I'm not overthinking it. But, like I said, I'll start without an air damn.
I believe those are the pics I came across a while back.

Also, thank you. They are doing just fine.

LarrysDrifter
12-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Here's the turn fin from Mojo Racing, along with pics of the interior of the air traps. I've yet to get the hull reinforced. After I do that, I'll work on removing part of the air traps where I have them filled in.
The other pic is some epoxy in the front of the cockpit area and unseen, there is more in the sponson tips.