PDA

View Full Version : Castle link and Sidwinder esc

ray schrauwen
11-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Questions about castle link.

Their website doesn't mention Windows XP for software compatibility so am I screwed or what?

Next does anyone have experience with the 1/8 sidewinder esc? It's limits if properly cooled and coated for boat use.

I bought a 1515 1y motor/ esc combo for $63 on cyber monday and want to use in boat.

I've got another 1515 1y that's great, couldn't beat the deal.

Need to get the link sorted for the converter XL-2 also.

Help please.

ray schrauwen
12-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Quite a deal.

I opened the esc case and very surprised to see it completely potted in epoxy. All I need to do is add cooling tubes through the heat sink and its an excellent Spec boat esc. It has a 90 amp rating but feels more robust than a T120 or the like. The 1515 it came with was a non finned version so it only needs a cooler.

Trying to keep the fan with water cooling. Sorry, no pics yet.

Wish I bought two!

NativePaul
12-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Great deal, I wish I had known.

It certainly used to work with XP. I don't see why it wouldn't now, my guess is that as Microsoft don't support XP any more they don't think advertising it as compatible is needed, but I haven used XP since about 6 months after win 7 came out so I can't say for sure.

golfito
12-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Hi, I do not think you have compatibility issues with XP.
I still use my esc castle with XP.
I was thinking of using those ships.

And good luck receiving your cyber monday purchase!
In my case I'm waiting for answers from castle creations. Buy and pay 2 sidewinder combos and 2 mamba momsters and inform me that they ran out of stock ... from Monday I await answers.

ray schrauwen
12-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Hi, I do not think you have compatibility issues with XP.
I still use my esc castle with XP.
I was thinking of using those ships.

And good luck receiving your cyber monday purchase!
In my case I'm waiting for answers from castle creations. Buy and pay 2 sidewinder combos and 2 mamba momsters and inform me that they ran out of stock ... from Monday I await answers.

Mine said Back order too but shipped quickly. I got the version with smooth can no fins.

Got a spam email saying I need to call Fedex because it didn't get signed for lol...

ray schrauwen
12-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Fully potted. sweet.:spy:

golfito
12-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Excelente!!

Mxkid261
12-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Awesome. My buddy runs one of these in a v2 geico with no water cooling just the fan and it has never skipped a beat on 4s. Even ran it on 6s. I was pretty impressed. I will have to show him your finished product!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMUKYqbWG6o

ray schrauwen
12-08-2016, 05:14 PM
I didn't do anything to the esc, the picture is stock, just naked.

Castle pots them in epoxy.

Mxkid261
12-09-2016, 08:20 AM
No I meant show him your finished product once you get the cooling tubes in the heat sink lol

ray schrauwen
12-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Ok, lol.

ray schrauwen
02-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Not completely finished but, I was in the hospital again Thursday.

So far.

I had to remove the majority of each fin with needle nose pliers and work hardening. Broke them off basically. Then I chucked it up with rubber mounting in the mini mill and took it all the way down to an even level.

I have no finished modding the shortened T180 heat sink. I'm going to mill off the top fins completely and seal both open sides then drill through top for intake and exhaust. I will drill through the material that separates the cavities so water fills in the whole unit like others have done with this heat sink from T180.

golfito
02-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Mine said Back order too but shipped quickly. I got the version with smooth can no fins.

Got a spam email saying I need to call Fedex because it didn't get signed for lol...

I had forgotten ... castle solved the problem and we reached a good agreement.
I do not have the sidewinder, I have the mamba monster2.

golfito
02-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Not completely finished but, I was in the hospital again Thursday.

So far.

I had to remove the majority of each fin with needle nose pliers and work hardening. Broke them off basically. Then I chucked it up with rubber mounting in the mini mill and took it all the way down to an even level.

I have no finished modding the shortened T180 heat sink. I'm going to mill off the top fins completely and seal both open sides then drill through top for intake and exhaust. I will drill through the material that separates the cavities so water fills in the whole unit like others have done with this heat sink from T180.

Nice work.
I will be watching your results out of curiosity.

ray schrauwen
03-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Dum dee dum. ALmost done. Just need to glue on the cooling block. I've water tested it first to be sure.

I was trying to decide if I wanted just vertical tubes or tubes with a 90* angle and settled on the 90's. Once I glue the block on, that's it. I could use pasted and try to hold it down but, it could easily short out motor connectors. I could remedy that too but I prefer things to stay put for sure.

With a little nibbling at the case top I will be able to put the top back on.

End plates and short bolts are JB welded in place. Brass tubes are held in with red thread lock. All threads are like the T180-5mm.

I tested it after calibration and it's Sooo Smooth...:drool: I can't wait to try it in a speccy boat.

ray schrauwen
03-07-2017, 09:55 PM
More...

TRUCKPULL
03-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Nice work Ray.

Larry

ray schrauwen
03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks. At least I got something done, get the building juices going...