PDA

View Full Version : flier 400 amps

urbs00007
11-24-2016, 09:10 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ESC-BOAT-400A-12S-Waterproof-Watercooled-Flier-USB-LINK-to-Brushless-Motor/262618102765?_trksid= can someone buy this and run it. I really wish flier has worked out all their controller's problems and us average folks finally have an affordable, reliable esc to purchase. any takers??

Lone-Wolf
11-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Found the same one for a way better deal; Flier 400amp (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ESC-BOAT-400A-16S-Waterproof-Watercooed-Flier-USB-LINK-to-Brushless-Motor/222312179617?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%2 6asc%3D38530%26meid%3Db9aa579dcbcc4b088f26a89569b1 fcb7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D2626 18102765)

Personally, for that kind of power I would pay more for an MGM...yeah it's "alot" more but nothing worse than ruining a nice boat with a burned out esc! Of course I am the first to agree though that we truly need some affordable alternatives for high amp boats.

Lone-Wolf
11-24-2016, 01:35 PM
I wish I didn't see this thread, I couldn't resist, I just bought two of them for my big Mystic, $400 for two 400amp esc's seems pretty fair. I was ready to pull the trigger on some extremely pricey MGM's today/tomorrow so fingers crossed that you just saved me a huge wad, heck these are 1/4 the price let's just pray they are not 1/4 as good as the MGM's. So needless to say, one day when they get here I will do a report on them.

Fluid
11-24-2016, 02:40 PM
I hate being a Debby downer, but there is a reason that cheap ESCs are less expensive, and it isn't because the seller makes less profit. We can hope that the cheaper parts, reduced development time and effort, and final assembly end up producing a decent ESC. Odd that the seller can't decide if it's a 12S or 16S controller.

Then, like so many Chinese products the initial lots will be used to get a reputation to boost sales, then subsequent lots will be made with even cheaper parts. We see this all the time - but there are makers who do care about maintaining quality. Let's hope this manufacturer is one of the latter and LW doesn't end up with no money and no functioning ESC. Time will tell... :noidea:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?40654-Fliermodels-esc

Lone-Wolf
11-24-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm not going to expect the World out of these Flier esc's, mainly I just hope they won't have a complete meltdown 30 seconds into the first run and ruin my best boat. I know you get what you pay for but I won't be running SAW with them, trying to stay at 150-200amps and will chose props wisely. I still feel the need to get my hands on those bigger MGM's no matter what the outcome...I hope I didn't make a really bad decision.

urbs00007
11-24-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm not going to expect the World out of these Flier esc's, mainly I just hope they won't have a complete meltdown 30 seconds into the first run and ruin my best boat. I know you get what you pay for but I won't be running SAW with them, trying to stay at 150-200amps and will chose props wisely. I still feel the need to get my hands on those bigger MGM's no matter what the outcome...I hope I didn't make a really bad decision.
really hope they work out. let us know either way.

Lone-Wolf
11-24-2016, 07:59 PM
really hope they work out. let us know either way.

Absolutely will let you and everyone know, once I get them and run them I will create a solid thread with vid's etc and as much detail as possible. I know it's a crap-shoot but I truly hope for all our sake the outcome is positive...but mainly my boat's sake!

srislash
11-24-2016, 09:01 PM
I have the program box for the Fliers here LoneWolf. You will be needing it

Lone-Wolf
11-24-2016, 09:19 PM
I have the program box for the Fliers here LoneWolf. You will be needing it

I kinda figured that, good to know you have it. So I take it the software is problematic/useless then?

srislash
11-24-2016, 09:43 PM
I kinda figured that, good to know you have it. So I take it the software is problematic/useless then?

Nope, just a certain order you need to do things, I have all that as well.

urbs00007
11-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Nope, just a certain order you need to do things, I have all that as well. I think we all should help "lone wolf" with his build by advising him any way we can to achieve a proper, correct build which will not overload these esc's. His success, after all, benefits everybody interested in reasonable priced, hi voltage esc's. "lone wolf, when you receive these esc's, make sure you run water through them to check for even the slightest water leakage on the cooling blocks. 3 of the fightercat esc's that I ran just before fightercat stopped selling esc's, leaked and took out the esc's. the cooling blocks were siliconed together. Not a good construction method. Also, some of the solder joint (around where the pos and neg battery leads were soldered to the board) were very close to adjacent solder joints. Anyone else have any thoughts or advice ?

Lone-Wolf
11-25-2016, 01:43 PM
I think we all should help "lone wolf" with his build by advising him any way we can to achieve a proper, correct build which will not overload these esc's. His success, after all, benefits everybody interested in reasonable priced, hi voltage esc's. "lone wolf, when you receive these esc's, make sure you run water through them to check for even the slightest water leakage on the cooling blocks. 3 of the fightercat esc's that I ran just before fightercat stopped selling esc's, leaked and took out the esc's. the cooling blocks were siliconed together. Not a good construction method. Also, some of the solder joint (around where the pos and neg battery leads were soldered to the board) were very close to adjacent solder joints. Anyone else have any thoughts or advice ?

I really appreciate the concerns, nice to not feel alone. For starters I will definitely be testing the watercooling to make sure it's sealed, I've got a small pump and will let it run for a few minutes. Also, will have Cap Banks installed as close to the esc as possible, thanks SRISLASH for sending me those! Hull is MHZ Mystic 138, motors are LMK 3040 1167Kv and will run 8S through X457's for Maiden tests. My 25063 MGM's (250amp continuous) could handle 10S with big X470's reduced to 60mm (116mph) so the 8S setup with the Fliers and X457's should be pretty "mild" and speeds about 90mph max.

urbs00007
11-25-2016, 03:45 PM
maybe we could contact the manufacturer and show him this thread. basically it would be in his best interest to provide a decent esc for reasonable money. and if the esc works well, if quality continues, there is a good market for this esc. I certainly want it to work out. I will be buying at least a couple if they woek as stated.

Lone-Wolf
11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Agreed and as long as the esc comes anywhere near their spec's it will be fine, heck if Flier could even add higher quality components on for a small increase in price I am sure nobody would have any issues with that...but maybe they won't have to, here's to hoping!

BTW Esc's have already shipped and seller said 5-7 days so won't be long until we see something...stay tuned, will keep you all updated.

srislash
11-25-2016, 10:37 PM
maybe we could contact the manufacturer and show him this thread. basically it would be in his best interest to provide a decent esc for reasonable money. and if the esc works well, if quality continues, there is a good market for this esc. I certainly want it to work out. I will be buying at least a couple if they woek as stated.
I will email Them and see what's been up. I'll explain our situation with the marketplace. They have worked with me in the past so let's hope.
Shawn

urbs00007
11-25-2016, 11:02 PM
I will email Them and see what's been up. I'll explain our situation with the marketplace. They have worked with me in the past so let's hope.
Shawn Good idea. I'm going to check on that swordfish thread concerning esc failures and the lip service the mfg. was giving the poster. will let you know.

kfxguy
11-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Subscribed

srislash
11-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Subscribed

Well Travis I have talked to Flier and changes have been made, And a couple guys outside of here and the 250's and 300's have been doing real well.

But from my own experience, waterproof, waterproof, waterproof, these just as all ESC's!!!
Steve???

kfxguy
11-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Well Travis I have talked to Flier and changes have been made, And a couple guys outside of here and the 250's and 300's have been doing real well.

But from my own experience, waterproof, waterproof, waterproof, these just as all ESC's!!!
Steve???

Well if you have a contact at flier and can get me and said contact hooked up, I'll try to convince them to send me one for testing. I can put it in the shocker and flog it to see how it fairs and give an unbiased review on it. It would be really nice to have a 400 amp capable "affordable" unit for us "poor" fellas.....lol

Lone-Wolf
11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Well if you have a contact at flier and can get me and said contact hooked up, I'll try to convince them to send me one for testing. I can put it in the shocker and flog it to see how it fairs and give an unbiased review on it. It would be really nice to have a 400 amp capable "affordable" unit for us "poor" fellas.....lol

Tracking my two 400's right now and they are several days out but I will have them hooked up the day they get here and proper testing can commence! I truly hope the main parts ie: Mosfets are upgraded, heck for 400amps they better be!!

kfxguy
11-29-2016, 06:18 PM
I emailed Lisa at flier earlier today to see if I can get my hands on a unit to test and review for you guys. The 37" cat I have with a neu 1527 ought to be a good test mule for it. I won't mind flogging it to lvc to see how it fairs. The 300 amp swordfish is holding up in it so I'm pretty sure the 400 should handle what I throw at it.

kfxguy
11-29-2016, 10:31 PM
So I've emailed back and forth with Lisa a couple times. I'm awaiting an answer from her manager to see if we can get a unit for some testing. I do like the looks of this unit and if they are the same things as the alien units (or even possibly improved) then this unit may be promising. I know of the past Fightercat problems and those escs were actually pretty beefy units but the cooling blocks leaked just a tiny bit and caused it to short out. I'm pretty excited to try something new and hopefully this will be a good alternative to what we have been using. Keep your fingers crossed!

srislash
11-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Fingers crossed for you Trav, I really liked the setup of these in the past when testing them for FC. We did get thru some issues back then and any repair turnaround was good. Hopefully it's not neede anymore but y'know... boaters! LOL.
Did you mention anything about waterproofing to Lisa? This will be my next email.
I have a healthy size single mono that I could put together pretty quick and give a Flier a go with.

kfxguy
11-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Fingers crossed for you Trav, I really liked the setup of these in the past when testing them for FC. We did get thru some issues back then and any repair turnaround was good. Hopefully it's not neede anymore but y'know... boaters! LOL.
Did you mention anything about waterproofing to Lisa? This will be my next email.
I have a healthy size single mono that I could put together pretty quick and give a Flier a go with.

The only thing I mentioned about being waterproof was I wanted them to send me the red waterproof unit.

Btw this would be a good unit to run in my kbb34 that I'm building to run on 6s parallel. I'm trying to get it over 100 and I'll need the amperage overhead.

srislash
11-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Red waterproof unit? Link please someone? Is this what you got LoneWolf?

urbs00007
11-30-2016, 01:17 PM
link is in first post

Lone-Wolf
11-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Good news, esc's just arrived! Unfortunately it's the wife's b-day so won't be in the cards to be hooking these monsters up but tomorrow for sure. Have to say these things are heavy, I'll weigh them later, massive wires of course, 8awg for power and dual sets of 10awg for motor leads. Waterproofing appears good, sort of semi-sloppy but will take pic's of everything when I get a chance, later today. All-in-all a very solid feeling and looking esc's, basically a red brick! Stay tuned...

kfxguy
11-30-2016, 01:38 PM

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/75AFC97B-5646-459B-AA53-683B750FA907.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/75AFC97B-5646-459B-AA53-683B750FA907.jpg.html)

Lone-Wolf
11-30-2016, 01:44 PM
That's it but the picture does not do justice, I'll get a pic beside an SF300, similar size for sure but the "red brick" is alot thicker.

Details to come...

srislash
11-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks Travis, geez I hadn't seen that on their site

Lone-Wolf
11-30-2016, 10:08 PM
OK, for what it's worth I attached a few shots for size reference visually and some close up's of the cooling tubes on both ends of esc. I wanted to be as realistic as possible in my representation so I used one of my many burned out SF300's!...if I had a non-burned out unit I would have used that one LOL!

Lone-Wolf
12-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Successfully downloaded and installed the Flier PC software. Very easy to use program and worked perfectly so esc's are all dialed in now for setup in my 54" Mystic. Soldering up connections tonight in prep for the Maiden test(s) tomorrow....I hope! Interestingly and annoyingly, the anti-spark wire is on the negative lead unlike Swordfish. Also, esc allows for reverse too, it's a nice feature to have for those occasional times when you don't make a turn and are up against a wall of bullrushes or a mass of weeds, I set the power for reverse to 20% just to be safe but I'm sure I won't be needing it.

kfxguy
12-01-2016, 03:17 PM
That's awesome. I'll admit I do like having reverse. My saw Rivercat has it.

T.S.Davis
12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
I can't remember who wrote it but I remember someone having as their signature.

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

Pick 2.

Lone-Wolf
12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
OK, esc's soldered up nicely and installed in my Mystic, what beasts they are. So tomorrow it'll be ready to blow...I mean "go".

Fluid
12-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Fingers crossed Steve! :Praying:

srislash
12-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Hope all goes well and we see a break in the rain buddy, Sunday for sure.

urbs00007
12-02-2016, 11:20 PM
fingers crossed. how is the water flow thru the unit ?

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys, I'll video the run(s).

Waterflow seems decent but since there are four inlet and four outlets it's a fair length the water has to travel through, 4x6"=24"/esc plus silicon jumpers on the ends to loop back so probably won't flow as well/easily as say my MGM's that have just the one inlet/outlet. At least the lake is good and cold now and I'll be sure and do a visual check on water exiting as she blows by at a slower speed. For what it's worth, this exact setup on 8S/side was allowing the MGM 25063's to run literally cold after a full run.

I was mentioning earlier in the thread that these esc's have the anti-spark wires on the negative, one more thing to think about and not screw up down the road when I am running the packs for this esc in other boats with different esc's that have the normal and expected spark wires on the positives!!!

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Massive success guys!!! Had to change to a different spot on my lake as the wind was blowing so was in a tighter area but worked out fine. First run was 8S/side and ABC 2215's, will post video in a moment below once uploaded to YT. Seemed to have all the power and punch of my MGM's, felt exactly the same actually, nice smooth throttle response too. Brought her in and opened her up and next to no heat whatsoever! Motor cold, batt's luke warm but most importantly, the esc's were just above cold to the touch, I wish I had not forgotten my temp sensor but I know the reading would have been very low. Of course the esc's are blocks so hard to know what's going on inside but blew out the water pipes and felt just warm.

Next run was 10S and changed props to my new Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 57mm. Reason I changed props was I knew there would be a definite blowover if I had kept the ABC's on, barely holds down on 8S because of rake/pitch. In the run, boat had huge punch, huge power, everything the MGM's could do IMO, again video below but man-o-man these esc's did not disappoint!! Made many passes but wind was picking up so had to be careful, easy to see in the video that I had to go slow one direction. Anyways, brought her in after many minutes of almost constant running and low and behold...same cold/low heat on the esc's as the 8S run!!! Next time for sure the temp sensor will be used but rest assured these esc's felt like they were nowhere near being pushed but again we don't know what's going on inside, all seems very sound. GPS reading on 10S was 108mph which is pretty amazing considering these props would be considered "moderate" for this setup. Next time out, probably tomorrow I will run my reduced X470's that produced 116mph, also have a step above that, Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 60mm but we'll see how the 470's do. Was not using my top cells either, will run new Revo 420 gopacks next time. So all in all I am thoroughly impressed with these esc's, stay tuned for continuous updates...and OP, huge thanks for starting this thread, sometimes taking a risk pays off but I better start knocking on wood and keeping my mouth shut, I know what we really need to see is long term trouble-free running.

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 03:50 PM
10S with reduced 6514's

https://youtu.be/7wPcPihsqY0

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
First part of the above 10S run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsraZKSKVsw

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
For interest sake, here's the 8S run, felt really fast for 8S probably at or close to 100mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xgSWYeBYc&feature=youtu.be

srislash
12-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Excellent Steve. Glad to see the hounds let you get it in the water, haha. Really glad to hear that the 400's did not disappoint.

urbs00007
12-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Massive success guys!!! Had to change to a different spot on my lake as the wind was blowing so was in a tighter area but worked out fine. First run was 8S/side and ABC 2215's, will post video in a moment below once uploaded to YT. Seemed to have all the power and punch of my MGM's, felt exactly the same actually, nice smooth throttle response too. Brought her in and opened her up and next to no heat whatsoever! Motor cold, batt's luke warm but most importantly, the esc's were just above cold to the touch, I wish I had not forgotten my temp sensor but I know the reading would have been very low. Of course the esc's are blocks so hard to know what's going on inside but blew out the water pipes and felt just warm.

Next run was 10S and changed props to my new Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 57mm. Reason I changed props was I knew there would be a definite blowover if I had kept the ABC's on, barely holds down on 8S because of rake/pitch. In the run, boat had huge punch, huge power, everything the MGM's could do IMO, again video below but man-o-man these esc's did not disappoint!! Made many passes but wind was picking up so had to be careful, easy to see in the video that I had to go slow one direction. Anyways, brought her in after many minutes of almost constant running and low and behold...same cold/low heat on the esc's as the 8S run!!! Next time for sure the temp sensor will be used but rest assured these esc's felt like they were nowhere near being pushed but again we don't know what's going on inside, all seems very sound. GPS reading on 10S was 108mph which is pretty amazing considering these props would be considered "moderate" for this setup. Next time out, probably tomorrow I will run my reduced X470's that produced 116mph, also have a step above that, Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 60mm but we'll see how the 470's do. Was not using my top cells either, will run new Revo 420 gopacks next time. So all in all I am thoroughly impressed with these esc's, stay tuned for continuous updates...and OP, huge thanks for starting this thread, sometimes taking a risk pays off but I better start knocking on wood and keeping my mouth shut, I know what we really need to see is long term trouble-free running.

happy for you. hopefully it will continue. asked srilash to contact flier and keep them updated. any idea of your amp draw so far? thanks for taking a chance. i spent close to a year messing with fightercat units. who could expect leaking water cooling blocks??!!! anyways, good news and keep us informed on progress. a couple more runs like this and will be buying one. thanks, john

Lone-Wolf
12-03-2016, 04:55 PM
happy for you. hopefully it will continue. asked srilash to contact flier and keep them updated. any idea of your amp draw so far? thanks for taking a chance. i spent close to a year messing with fightercat units. who could expect leaking water cooling blocks??!!! anyways, good news and keep us informed on progress. a couple more runs like this and will be buying one. thanks, john

Happy for me too ;-)

Amp-wise I really don't know but from runtime and calculations I should be no more than half way to what they are rated for under full beans...of course that is the info we need to let me figure things out for logging.

Seems the watercooling works really well, can't see any issues at all. A few tiny things that could be improved upon on the esc's are just the final touches like using brass nipples instead of straight through soft aluminum where the silicon tubes hook up, bend one of those and you're kinda done. Also I wonder about the cap's and how they will hold up, how to replace etc...but what more can we expect from a $200 esc that holds up above 100mph, I think we're doing pretty good.

Stay tuned for ramped up tests tomorrow.

ls1fst98
12-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I have been a flier dealer and selling via my facebook group for over a year now. Weve had good luck with them. The 250 and 300 have been some of the better units from testing. I personally use the twin 300a in my hpr 135, a paor of 250 in my hpr c5009, and use them in my mean machine and my cheetah single. The 5009 has a pair of tp4070 2200kv and on 5s it cruises nice and cool at mid to upper 80s, best of 87.6 on gps on 5s and anc 1815 props. I will be happy to email anyone a price list and can offer good discounts on 3 or more esc, i also sell car escs

urbs00007
12-03-2016, 06:32 PM
I have been a flier dealer and selling via my facebook group for over a year now. Weve had good luck with them. The 250 and 300 have been some of the better units from testing. I personally use the twin 300a in my hpr 135, a paor of 250 in my hpr c5009, and use them in my mean machine and my cheetah single. The 5009 has a pair of tp4070 2200kv and on 5s it cruises nice and cool at mid to upper 80s, best of 87.6 on gps on 5s and anc 1815 props. I will be happy to email anyone a price list and can offer good discounts on 3 or more esc, i also sell car escs

you say the 250 and the 300 units have been better than others. so the 400 amp unit hasn't been one of the better units? or you dont have any testing on the 400?

ls1fst98
12-03-2016, 07:03 PM
I only know what ive sold and used personally, i have not used a 400, sold 1 and havent heard any info back. The 180s have been workimg well for others. I had 1 warranty claim that flier promptly covered without issues that ended up being user error.

urbs00007
12-03-2016, 09:01 PM
how do we access your listings and pricing on the flier boat esc's?

urbs00007
12-03-2016, 09:56 PM
will the fightercat program box work with these new units

ls1fst98
12-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Pm sent, and mine didnt work

Lone-Wolf
12-04-2016, 03:36 PM
For the record, two more clean and issue free runs today on 10S, screaming fast and running cold.

kfxguy
12-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Awesome news Steve. Your probably not pushing them to the limits of 400 amps at this point tho, but working well is definitely good news. How's the driving manners? Throttle response? I can't wait to get mine and put it through its paces, my shocker pulls a good bit of power and I might be able to prop up some with this esc. I'm at the century mark with a mild un-modded prop. So hopefully this will give me some headroom to go faster.

Fluid
12-04-2016, 04:04 PM
:buttrock:

ls1fst98
12-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Sweet

jim82
12-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Send me a pm if you find anymore at a good price,
please!

Lone-Wolf
12-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Awesome news Steve. Your probably not pushing them to the limits of 400 amps at this point tho, but working well is definitely good news. How's the driving manners? Throttle response? I can't wait to get mine and put it through its paces, my shocker pulls a good bit of power and I might be able to prop up some with this esc. I'm at the century mark with a mild un-modded prop. So hopefully this will give me some headroom to go faster.

I was planning to push harder today but the water was not perfect, stayed with the reduced 6514's, turning out to be a really nice prop for this hull BTW. Of course later today when driving by the lake again it was like glass, go figure. Anyways, I will be back tomorrow and if water is good I'll be throwing on more prop, still though I agree, nowhere near 400 amps...but the headroom is sure nice!

Lone-Wolf
12-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Send me a pm if you find anymore at a good price,
please!

I realize now I got a killer price on mine at $200 each, lowest I have seen over the last few days is about $275.

Sidenote: Checking out the Flier website I notice there is an 800amp esc...interesting, for what I don't know other than an HPR233 but very cool nonetheless!

ls1fst98
12-04-2016, 06:36 PM
If i get 3 or more pple wanting a flier esc i can offer a 10% discount off my list price. Idk what the rule would be but i can post my list here if pple would like.

ls1fst98
12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
I realize now I got a killer price on mine at $200 each, lowest I have seen over the last few days is about $275.

Sidenote: Checking out the Flier website I notice there is an 800amp esc...interesting, for what I don't know other than an HPR233 but very cool nonetheless!

200 is below my cost. That was a steal

Lone-Wolf
12-04-2016, 06:42 PM
If i get 3 or more pple wanting a flier esc i can offer a 10% discount off my list price. Idk what the rule would be but i can post my list here if pple would like.

I would like!

srislash
12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Get ahold of Steve or one of the moderators and you could possibly post in the special section. Maybe Fluid here.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forumdisplay.php?33-Unique-Products-and-Services-by-OSE-Members

ls1fst98
12-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks shawn, will do. Appreciate the heads up to this thread as well.

jim82
12-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Kaboom.. to us that have a budget. Now they are up in price:( it's all good though kfx dude can continue his over powered boats.

jim82
12-04-2016, 10:42 PM
1527 neu in a river cat..lmao

kfxguy
12-04-2016, 11:29 PM
1527 neu in a river cat..lmao

Lol, a 1527 is in my 100+mph single 4s powered cat....I'm running a mamba xl2 in it and it's maxed out at this point. I could go up in prop but only if I had more esc. This flier looks to be too big to fit tho. I'll check it when I get mine. I know a sf300 lite will fit....which is likely what I'll be putting if I want to push it further. I ordered my 400 today too btw.

srislash
12-05-2016, 02:13 AM
Lol, a 1527 is in my 100+mph single 4s powered cat....I'm running a mamba xl2 in it and it's maxed out at this point. I could go up in prop but only if I had more esc. This flier looks to be too big to fit tho. I'll check it when I get mine. I know a sf300 lite will fit....which is likely what I'll be putting if I want to push it further. I ordered my 400 today too btw.

I doubt you need more than a 300 anyway Travis. You get 'on it' easy. And the burst currents are just that, burst for a second or two.

Hey but if you get it to fit, prop up. Odds are a 1527 will turn it.

kfxguy
12-05-2016, 07:46 AM
I doubt you need more than a 300 anyway Travis. You get 'on it' easy. And the burst currents are just that, burst for a second or two.

Hey but if you get it to fit, prop up. Odds are a 1527 will turn it.

Maybe not but I like the overhead. Logs show a peak of around 290 amps and when it levels off it's around 240 and temps hit 190f ish

dasboata
12-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Hi I only saw a 100 amp for the cars can you provide your FB page or a link, thanks Chris

ls1fst98
12-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Ill be placing an order this week for escs if anyone is interested

kfxguy
12-15-2016, 12:53 AM
I got my flier 400 in today. I'm not sure what I'm going to use this monster in. It's huge. You think a sf300 with the metal casecis big...omg. Here's some esc weights

Sf300 full case 19.20 oz
Flier 400 26.40 oz
MGM 240a 25035 6.6oz
Castle ice 240 6.5oz
Dynamite 160hv 8s capable 8.65oz (comes in zelos 48")
Sf220 pro 6.25oz
Ose raider 150 6.85oz in the unopened package

So as you can tell, it's huge and heavy and I'm not sure what I'm going to run it in. I suspect it will slow my mono down with that extra weight.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/47545D10-EA75-4E45-BECF-55E5A3013EDF.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/47545D10-EA75-4E45-BECF-55E5A3013EDF.jpg.html)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/C08790C2-EE5F-4E56-9A45-0DD6844F50A0.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/C08790C2-EE5F-4E56-9A45-0DD6844F50A0.jpg.html)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/635C4AE9-FDDA-417D-9E59-51520F768619.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/635C4AE9-FDDA-417D-9E59-51520F768619.jpg.html)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/F02B6E33-1591-4746-8584-84CE6FE11AB0.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/F02B6E33-1591-4746-8584-84CE6FE11AB0.jpg.html)

srislash
12-15-2016, 12:59 AM
Sounds like a 45" HPR is in order Travis, I don't recall a single being built by anyone.

Lone-Wolf
12-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Sounds like a 45" HPR is in order Travis, I don't recall a single being built by anyone.

That would be pretty classic and Travis is the guy to pull it off...maybe even on a 54" hull!

Mxkid261
12-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Wow that thing is a brick

IRON-PAWW
12-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Hmmmmm. Zelos 48 would probably like that weight. But yeah.... big mono otherwise. Nice... I want one.... though mysterious boxes with god knows what quality control inside make me nervous...

rayzerdesigns
12-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Is it waterproof?)

kfxguy
12-15-2016, 11:34 AM
That would be pretty classic and Travis is the guy to pull it off...maybe even on a 54" hull!

Thx fellas. That would be a good thing to try it in but I've got my mind set on a big mono, hopefully soon. They make a giant version (48" iirc) of the kbb34 I have. It's a sweet looking hull and this esc would fit the bill nicely.

Wow that thing is a brick

Your right. It's almost as heavy as a brick.

Is it waterproof?)

Yes it's advertised as such and it's coated as far as I can tell.

What I don't like:

Weight.
Size.
Double motor wires.
Double power wires.

What I do like:
Does not feel or look cheap
Cooling layout is much better than a sf300
The wire layout (although I hate double wiring) is better

I hate how the sf300 has black wires in the middle and red on the outside. The flier is much better arranged. I want to let you guys know, the review I'm doing on this unit is unbiased because I wasn't given this unit, I had to pay for it.

Lone-Wolf
12-15-2016, 11:55 AM
For me I like the 6 motor wires as I am using mine with 6 wire Lehners, yeah I can understand more wires in a nuisance but less resistance is of course a good thing, same goes for the dual power wires, aesthetically more pleasing to have less wiring but I'll take the extra 1mph!

I'm going to be running my 400's through their paces in the 54" Mystic this weekend, no sport props this time, putting on the fast ones, will report in how she goes, hopefully won't be a smoke show but I'm willing to take one for the Team...well not really, just saying ;-)

kfxguy
12-15-2016, 01:23 PM
For me I like the 6 motor wires as I am using mine with 6 wire Lehners, yeah I can understand more wires in a nuisance but less resistance is of course a good thing, same goes for the dual power wires, aesthetically more pleasing to have less wiring but I'll take the extra 1mph!

I'm going to be running my 400's through their paces in the 54" Mystic this weekend, no sport props this time, putting on the fast ones, will report in how she goes, hopefully won't be a smoke show but I'm willing to take one for the Team...well not really, just saying ;-)

Well in my opinion they could use 6ga power wire (I know castle makes some because I have some) and 8ga an the motor wires. Would cost less money too.

Lone-Wolf
12-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Well in my opinion they could use 6ga power wire (I know castle makes some because I have some) and 8ga an the motor wires. Would cost less money too.

Good point, my new MGM's have 6 gauge all around, a nightmare of soldering though. I really dislike soldering two big wires together for the power (as with the Flier's and SF300's) and trying to force them into one connector, not very tidy. Less wires would also be less entry/exit points on the controller so a bit less chance of water getting in...maybe. OK Travis you win haha!

kfxguy
12-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Good point, my new MGM's have 6 gauge all around, a nightmare of soldering though. I really dislike soldering two big wires together for the power (as with the Flier's and SF300's) and trying to force them into one connector, not very tidy. Less wires would also be less entry/exit points on the controller so a bit less chance of water getting in...maybe. OK Travis you win haha!

What I do is solder the two wires together like they would go in the connector. Of course they are too big to both fit at once so I grind the diameter of the joined wires down some till they fit in the connector. Then I tin the connector. Heat up and slip the wires in.

Lone-Wolf
12-15-2016, 04:43 PM
What I do is solder the two wires together like they would go in the connector. Of course they are too big to both fit at once so I grind the diameter of the joined wires down some till they fit in the connector. Then I tin the connector. Heat up and slip the wires in.

Great pointer! Was actually just soldering up my second MGM and that thought had crossed my mind...but I don't have a grinder but a dremel could work...but all done now.

kfxguy
12-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Great pointer! Was actually just soldering up my second MGM and that thought had crossed my mind...but I don't have a grinder but a dremel could work...but all done now.

Yes I've used a dremel with the rough sanding drum.

srislash
12-15-2016, 11:09 PM

Ditto

Lone-Wolf
12-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Had a chance today to get out in the sub-zero weather to push these Flier 400's harder, did not disappoint to say the least. Again running in 54" Mystic, 10S/side powering Lehner 3040/9 and big SAW props, X470's reduced to 60mm. Unfortunately my GPS was acting up today, new one coming this week so not accurate account of speed but this setup with my MGM25063's as mentioned earlier in the thread produced 116mph, I feel I was right on that today but we'll see later this week. Noticeable sharp punch and no fade in power and best of all, barely warm after each of the two complete runs!...and yes water near freezing so that of course helps alot but still, seems like they are well cooled. The soft cutout worked really nice for both runs at about 15% capacity left. I am really starting to like these esc's.
Here's a few clips from today;

https://youtu.be/65YzjjY3wCk

https://youtu.be/ov7bTCuaZrk

ls1fst98
12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Awesome news! Glad tonsee some feedback on the 400s as a seller. Very impressive

kfxguy
12-17-2016, 07:18 PM
I may end up selling mine. I wasn't expecting it to be so large. I'll have to literally buy a larger boat to fit it in to use it. Lol. I might just throw it in the mono just to see.

Lone-Wolf
12-17-2016, 10:33 PM
Awesome news! Glad tonsee some feedback on the 400s as a seller. Very impressive

I don't see any reason why these esc's won't be a good seller for you, other than performance they look pretty neat and tidy inside a larger hull, should be easy to tuck them away and easy routing of wires and cooling. I think the "red bricks" look cool in my hull...and for 1/4 the price of what was in there...am I allowed to say that ;-)

Lone-Wolf
12-17-2016, 10:35 PM
I may end up selling mine. I wasn't expecting it to be so large. I'll have to literally buy a larger boat to fit it in to use it. Lol. I might just throw it in the mono just to see.

Personally I would much rather see you get another hull to fit it in, would be fun to see what you could do with it in a single mono...could you stuff it into your KBB34?

urbs00007
12-17-2016, 11:41 PM
I don't see any reason why these esc's won't be a good seller for you, other than performance they look pretty neat and tidy inside a larger hull, should be easy to tuck them away and easy routing of wires and cooling. I think the "red bricks" look cool in my hull...and for 1/4 the price of what was in there...am I allowed to say that ;-)

yes, these units are better for a larger boat. looks like I will be trying the 300 amp hv unit.

kfxguy
12-18-2016, 01:14 AM
Personally I would much rather see you get another hull to fit it in, would be fun to see what you could do with it in a single mono...could you stuff it into your KBB34?

Yea I might be able to stuff it in there. If it is flighty from the speeds I'm trying to get it might help out to have extra weight.

ls1fst98
12-18-2016, 12:10 PM
The 16s 300a esc measures 165*57*21mm

The 16s 400 aluminum cased measures 118*63*23mm

The one im interested in seeing is the new 240a 10s.
Waiting on measurements. Will have 1 in hand next week

Lone-Wolf
12-24-2016, 06:03 PM
OK new findings today. Got to run my Mystic 138 again with the Flier's but with a bit more prop and more importantly...GPS. Have had alot of bad luck with GPS's lately, won't bore with details...back to Garmin Forerunner 301, works great. Anyways, we all have to keep in mind that comparing the speeds today to the speeds of my pricey MGM 25063's back in August leave some room for variances but the findings are worth something. Today the weather is around freezing and cells were cold, I did a few blasts to try and heat them up, maybe it helped. Top speed today with the Flier's was 105mph with X470's reduced to 60mm. Exact setup last Summer with MGM's was hitting 116mph, water was perfectly calm then and of course cells were 20 degree's or more warmer (Celcius). Second run today was with Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 60mm, these props according to Daboata should yield 5-8mph more then the X470's..."if" power is available to turn them....result: 105mph again. Could audibly tell that the motors were not reaching the same scream (rpm). Was happy to at least see the Flier's were coming in just warm at least, again helped by the freezing water...but a good cooling design for sure. I feel with perfect water and warmer cells there are more mph's left in the setup with Flier's but I highly doubt another 10+mph. Please note I am not bashing the Flier's, I truly like them alot and think they are great. I will continue running them in my large boats but when the time comes to try and hit new top speeds the MGM's will go back in. Maybe for boats running half these speeds with far less amp draw the Flier's will be the same speeds. Anyways, those are the findings of today! More finding to come when wife allows me out to run, maybe Boxing day.

I would recommend the Flier's to anyone except those running SAW...but of course the SAW guys already know that.

BTW This is my 100th post!

urbs00007
12-24-2016, 06:41 PM
OK new findings today. Got to run my Mystic 138 again with the Flier's but with a bit more prop and more importantly...GPS. Have had alot of bad luck with GPS's lately, won't bore with details...back to Garmin Forerunner 301, works great. Anyways, we all have to keep in mind that comparing the speeds today to the speeds of my pricey MGM 25063's back in August leave some room for variances but the findings are worth something. Today the weather is around freezing and cells were cold, I did a few blasts to try and heat them up, maybe it helped. Top speed today with the Flier's was 105mph with X470's reduced to 60mm. Exact setup last Summer with MGM's was hitting 116mph, water was perfectly calm then and of course cells were 20 degree's or more warmer (Celcius). Second run today was with Prop Shop 6515's reduced to 60mm, these props according to Daboata should yield 5-8mph more then the X470's..."if" power is available to turn them....result: 105mph again. Could audibly tell that the motors were not reaching the same scream (rpm). Was happy to at least see the Flier's were coming in just warm at least, again helped by the freezing water...but a good cooling design for sure. I feel with perfect water and warmer cells there are more mph's left in the setup with Flier's but I highly doubt another 10+mph. Please note I am not bashing the Flier's, I truly like them alot and think they are great. I will continue running them in my large boats but when the time comes to try and hit new top speeds the MGM's will go back in. Maybe for boats running half these speeds with far less amp draw the Flier's will be the same speeds. Anyways, those are the findings of today! More finding to come when wife allows me out to run, maybe Boxing day.

I would recommend the Flier's to anyone except those running SAW...but of course the SAW guys already know that.

BTW This is my 100th post! as always, thanks for your input. If you could put mgm's in for your next run, then we could have accurate testing between the 2 speed controllers. or perhaps when weather warms up. maybe grease in stuffing tubes is stiffer in cold weather allowing slower speeds. not an expert by any means, but to be fair to flier, all things should be equal when testing against another speed controller. JMO.

Lone-Wolf
12-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately my MGM's are in Czech right now but as soon as they are back I will do back to back comparisons, exact same everything...at that point we'll have definitive data...at least we're getting there ;-)

urbs00007
12-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately my MGM's are in Czech right now but as soon as they are back I will do back to back comparisons, exact same everything...at that point we'll have definitive data...at least we're getting there ;-) we cant forget that we are comparing corvette to malibu. glad to see alien performing this well. keeping my finger's crossed. thanks for your continuing input.

photohoward1
12-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Did you turn the throttle exp all the way up on your transmitter? I know on the swordfish you have to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone-Wolf
12-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Yes everything set to max on transmitter, good noticing that.

Too bad I don't have rpm sensors hooked up, that would be nice to know...well soon enough we'll have the back-to-backs for speeds.

Lone-Wolf
12-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Just back from the lake and managed a 110mph pass, moved the red-bricks forward some, still need to move further, they sure are heavy. Next time out will warm the lipos a bit and run the Revo Gopacks instead of the Turnigy Graphenes, I'm thinking there's a few mph left but even 110 ain't bad for $200 esc's and certainly holding up more than well.

dasboata
12-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Yes everything set to max on transmitter, good noticing that.

Too bad I don't have rpm sensors hooked up, that would be nice to know...well soon enough we'll have the back-to-backs for speeds.

ls1fst98
12-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Is the timing set the same between the 2? And thats awesome to hear. Just sold 2 more 400s this week, and got the new 240 10s in mg hands. Looks well made.

photohoward1
12-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Are they still available at that price?

Lone-Wolf
12-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Yes timing is of course set the same on both esc's. Glad to hear you sold some! Pic of the 240?

Will be waiting for awhile before I can do my so called back-to-back tests between these Flier's and the MGM 25063's that are being repaired/upgraded at the factory. Actually, soon I do plan on running my massive MGM 40063's in this hull but don't think the results will be as close/fair although the 40063 is rated for 400 amps continuous too...hmmm

Lone-Wolf
12-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Are they still available at that price?

Actually I should stop saying $200 (what I paid), no idea why they all seem to be around $275 now...maybe it's my fault! At any rate I think they are a good deal even at the prices they are going for now, well maybe not "a deal" but well worth the price for they they can do. Put it this way; I would buy them again for the going price if I needed more.

Meant to mention, again today, two solid runs and only just warm.

ls1fst98
12-28-2016, 08:42 PM
I do have pics of the 240, i forgot to grab measuremenrs off it before i shipped it out though. Ill have to upload it to photobucket first. My list price on them for a pair of 400a escs, with a 16s ubec, and the program box is 595 shipped

Fluid
12-28-2016, 08:44 PM
These may be wonderful ESCs, I don't know. But realize that EAsC temperatures in mid-winter have little to do with what can be expected in mid-summer when water temps are 30-50 degrees higher. I hope they perform well in the long run, nice to have an option.

ls1fst98
12-28-2016, 09:04 PM

This is the 240

Lone-Wolf
12-28-2016, 09:05 PM
These may be wonderful ESCs, I don't know. But realize that EAsC temperatures in mid-winter have little to do with what can be expected in mid-summer when water temps are 30-50 degrees higher. I hope they perform well in the long run, nice to have an option.

Of course fully agree about the temps, I am optimistic for the esc's in warmer water because of how cool they are running right now and add to that, when I say a "run" I mean taking the packs down to 10% with maybe 2-4 short stops to let the water clear when packs are fresh...then into several massive ovals at >50-75% throttle. I think it's a worthy test especially when you look at what they are powering. But yeah, maybe they'll be scorching hot come July...should the esc's make it to July and run in a tolerable temp then I think we'll be able to say the esc's are more than good...but no counting chickens I know. I also know that as humans when we own something we always think it's the best, I'm trying to be open minded here ;-)

Lone-Wolf
12-28-2016, 09:07 PM

This is the 240

Looks solid, nice fold-up knife too!

Fluid
12-29-2016, 08:14 AM
I wasn't meaning to rain on the parade - if things get too hot in July just prop down a bit. Like I said, it would be nice to have a reliable ESC option.

ls1fst98
12-29-2016, 09:07 AM
I dont have first hand experience on the 400s, but i have been using the 250a 8s and the 300a twin for 4 years now. I havent had a failure yet. In selling them the last year i had 1 failure and it was a user error but flier still replaced the esc for me. Im wanting to try the 600a in my hpr135 with my castle 2028s and really prop up.

Lone-Wolf
01-21-2017, 03:57 PM
For anyone interested, just hit 114mph today with these Flier's on ice cold revo 420 gopacks...not bad! I'll heat the lipos next time, getting close to my MGM's best of 116mph for a quarter the price.

ls1fst98
01-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Right on! I sold a few last month, and currently at winter nats. One if the fastest q cats is running a pair of 250a

urbs00007
01-21-2017, 04:33 PM
For anyone interested, just hit 114mph today with these Flier's on ice cold revo 420 gopacks...not bad! I'll heat the lipos next time, getting close to my MGM's best of 116mph for a quarter the price.

thanks for taking the chance, Lone Wolf. I'm sure everyone on this thread is hoping this continues favorably. Really shows how well these forums benefit everyone.

srislash
01-21-2017, 04:42 PM
What I am interested in is: HEY!!!! You have open water!!! Jealous
Good going Steve

Lone-Wolf
01-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Well boys, just back from the lake with a new all-time PB regardless of esc's...the Flier 400's laid down 117mph!!!! I made numerous passes taking 30-45 second breaks to let water clear and still running very cold, of course the water is freezing so that obviously helps alot but boy these controllers seem to be opening up more and more. Anyone ever experience more speed/power after many cycles on an esc?...electronics can become more efficient after a burning in period, maybe that's what we're seeing here? Back when I first started out with these things I was 104mph etc...yeah lipos warmer today but that's a pretty decent increase and not done yet! New heating pad arriving tomorrow so will get those lipo's nice and hot. Freshly serviced MGM's due back here next week but won't be installing them until I am done with these 400's.

So there ya go!!

Lone-Wolf
01-23-2017, 06:18 PM
https://youtu.be/VJP9E4P6l6U

kfxguy
01-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Awesome stuff. Good to know these escs are up to the task. I can't wait to put mine to use.

Keagan-Z06
01-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Ahhh here you are! Nice job man!

srislash
01-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Good work Steve. Looks goood on the ice free water :cursing::cursing:

Lone-Wolf
01-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Good work Steve. Looks goood on the ice free water :cursing::cursing:

You don't still have ice do you?...was like late Spring here today!

urbs00007
01-23-2017, 10:36 PM
is OSE going to carry these?

iridebikes247
01-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Nice work buddy, boat looks stable as usual :rockon2:

srislash
01-23-2017, 11:16 PM
You don't still have ice do you?...was like late Spring here today!
Steve there was 8" of ice and it is still freezing at night over here. I went to Cultas today and there was ice forming there yet. I had not seen that there yet this season. I fear I'll be with Mike there in NY and waiting for March...
DOH

Lone-Wolf
01-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Steve there was 8" of ice and it is still freezing at night over here. I went to Cultas today and there was ice forming there yet. I had not seen that there yet this season. I fear I'll be with Mike there in NY and waiting for March...
DOH

No excuses to get your HPR115 done now and then come over for a visit!

Lone-Wolf
02-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Chalk another "win" up for the Flier 400, here it is surely being pushed on a Maiden run with my 67" Mono running 15S2P through a LMT 3080 580Kv motor and ABC 2215 prop. All I will say about temps was that it felt less than body temperature after draining the packs 80% in nonstop ovals, both motor and esc...no heat gun. Certainly pulling some serious amps as the runtime with 10,000ma's was under 3 minutes with 20% in the packs left +/- BTW Cap Bank installed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5PrI5-dGwk

ls1fst98
02-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Damn dude. Very sweet boat!

Lone-Wolf
02-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Damn dude. Very sweet boat!

Yeah she is a beast, just got her from a friend in Germany, attached a few shots, first one is a size comparison to an HPR115! I wish I could find out what the hull actually is as the seller had no idea only that it came from the UK....anyone?

Steven Vaccaro
02-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Whats the warranty on these these esc's? Maybe Ill pick some up to sell.

Does anyone know what happened to the couple that died at last months Florida race?

ls1fst98
02-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Couple of escs that died? Those were swordfish escs that fried.

Flier offers a 1 year warranty from defect

Steven Vaccaro
02-04-2017, 02:39 PM
They were swordfish? A customer that was there said you replaced a couple of Fliers. Is that not true?

ls1fst98
02-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Yes swordfish blew up, no fliers blew up at nats. I sold 3 escs at the event.

Lone-Wolf
02-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Handled it like a Champ yet again for 16S3P today! Video is just the first half of the run.

https://youtu.be/6AigaRfO5ok

srislash
02-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Look at that rooster tail. Nice

Lone-Wolf
02-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Yeah the thing must be coughing up 20 gallons of water at a time, in reality its more impressive. I had to measure the hull as it was looking to be the same length as my 73" Cat...yup, bow to prop nut is 73" with hull at 69" not 67" as I was told...cool!

urbs00007
02-05-2017, 11:19 AM
They were swordfish? A customer that was there said you replaced a couple of Fliers. Is that not true? steve, can you ask that customer to verify his story?

ls1fst98
02-05-2017, 11:33 AM
steve, can you ask that customer to verify his story?

Verify my story? I was there, i watched it. It was a cheetah single from sarasota.

urbs00007
02-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Verify my story? I was there, i watched it. It was a cheetah single from sarasota. no offense, but my post was in response to steve's post about a customer of his who said 2 alien esc's stopped working. we should give steve a chance to verify that the customer was right or wrong. and even if the esc's did stop working, we are looking to see that the manufacturer responds in a helpful manner. that is how products are improved. I worked with ben from fightercat for 2 years to get his units working reliably. fightercat stopped selling esc's and i went to other esc's. when i saw this 400 amp unit for sale i started this post to see if the esc's could have kept improving. everybody wants these esc's to succeed. lets wait for a response from steve's customer and hopefully we can all gain from this thread. Lone wolf is having great results!!

ls1fst98
02-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Steve made it sound like it was my customers, i didntbsee any alien escs at nats. No offense taken, was just clearing it up. I had 1 esc replaced before nats, but it was a user error, he had a y wind motor, and ran it with timing set to 0.

Outerlimits SV43
03-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Hi, little guidance needed!
Planning to run 2x TP Power 5850 990KV. (Boat: Outerlimits SV43 - 1,7m mono)
Could Flier 400A - 22S do the job?
Do I need capasitor banks? And what is the main difference between these two?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HV-22S-400A-waterproof-blushless-ESC-for-rc-Boat-surfboard-with-program-box/32700463858.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Flier-400A-100V-super-high-voltage-motor-speed-ESC-for-Boat/616319017.html

If so, any suggestion where I can find these ESCs to best price?

Thanks in advance! :)

ls1fst98
03-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Im a dealer for flier in the US. The difference is the casing is fully sealed, water resistant. (I refuse tobcall aby electronic waterproof). The other uses a cooling plat and shrink wrap and is smaller.

Cap banks will help, and the 400a is plenty. Flier also has cap banks to go with their escs

Outerlimits SV43
03-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for feedback!

donhuff
03-14-2017, 09:21 AM
I had a couple of Fliers go out recently. I went to the IMPBA time trials in Valdosta Georgia last month, and had two "borrowed" 300 amp flier escs. I had built 3 of my new 40" Orca hulls and had them rigged, tested, and ready to break the Q 1/3 mile oval. Rigged out except that I did not have any escs. My swordfish 240 quit before I could get in much testing.
Brad Schafer, a fellow Atlanta model boater and record chaser, stepped in and offered his two brand new flier 300 amp ESCs for me to take to the trials. If he had not done this, I would not have gone to the trials, because I do not think my old seaking 180s would get me to where I need to be!

During testing it looked like a pretty normal racing setup would get the record, providing I drove it right and hugged the buoys. So I had the first boat ready to give it a try, armed with a TP 4070- 1440kv an ABC 1914, and the flier 300. I was way off the record and driving like an idiot. I finally settled down and turned in some good laps, and after 3 or 4 tries did break the record, but not by the required .25 of a second to make it official. So with fresh batteries I gave it one more try and really drove well but clipped the very last buoy at the exit light!!!

Enough of this, I swapped the motor for a higher kv one that I got from Steven off the "swap shop". It was suppose to be another 1440 that I was going to use as a spare, but it turned out to be a 2080kv (thanks Steven, I'm glad it turned out that way). With the higher kv I propped down to an 1814. We had tested this combo at home and found that it was ballistic, so I figured it would be simple to get the record with this combo. Well, ballistic missiles are not made to do 180 degree turns at wide open throttle, as I found out! I should have propped down some more but I never even thought about it. I just throttled down a little and gave it another try. I made one lap ok then on the next, it shut down. I thought it must have gotten hot, so I gave it a minute or two to cool and then I was going to bring it in for a look. When I eased the throttle just off the stop BOOM!!!!!! and I mean a loud M80 type boom! The hatch blew off splitting the tape like it had been cut with a razor, followed by 12 inch tall flames coming out of the hatch opening! Glen Quarles (the CD of the event) and I were just standing there with our jaws dropped, watching the show. I remember thinking "I aint never seen no SHIP like this before" not in toy boats. Glen asked if he could throw water on it, and I said yes, please do LOL.

Well obviously that flier was dead, so I took that motor out and put it in one of the other hulls that had the other flier in it. Back into the water with a new goal in mind of just getting around the buoys in a smooth easy fashion, with no more throttle than necessary. It worked! on my second attempt I broke the record!

So now I'm back in the pits swapping motors again to the lower 1440kv motor, but this time were going for the S (8 cell) record which was actually a little slower than the Q one was, and this setup would be turning the prop a little slower than the Q setup did and should be easier on the motor and ESC. This should be easy peasy, cause I know how to drive and throttle it now, and I can even go slower. I made it to buoy #2 on the first attempt and she stops dead, never to move again! The second flier had quit but without booms and flames this time.

We thought that the fliers were going to be ok after giving them some pretty hard testing at the home pond. But after their showing at the time trials we are giving them second thoughts. It looks like we are going to MGMs next, trying to get something we can race these new hulls with.

kfxguy
03-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Don. Do note that in the coming future castle is releasing some new marine escs. I can't wait. Most of my projects are on hold right now anyway so maybe when I'm back at it again they will be ready for production.

Outerlimits SV43
03-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Wow!! Interesting reading!!! Thanks!

donhuff
03-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Yeah kfxguy, I wish the castles were ready now, and I hope they make a 300-350 amp one this time. I have never used a castle as I got in to fe only a couple years ago and they had quit the boat versions by then. Mr Smock keeps telling me they were very good, and he has one in his new Q -ORCA now and should be ready to test pretty soon.

BTW that 1440 motor I was using was the one I got from you or either dethrow. I bought two off the swap shop.

donhuff
03-14-2017, 11:12 AM
outerlimits,

Thanks. I like making a story out of it cause most of the time on the forums the reading is either boring or a bunch of B---itching. I left out a lot of the story cause I am a one finger typer, and it takes me forever to do a message.

I wish I had stayed a couple more days and just hung out and helped, I had my room rented for the next four days. But with no more ESCs in the spare box except for a couple of turnigy 120As, I figured I might as well head home. I also had a bad cold and couldn't hardly work on stuff for wiping snot off my nose constantly. Martin Truex showed up the day after I left. I would have enjoyed watching him turning 7.5 second laps!!!!!!

Everyone thinks money is the only reason he does so well but that is far from the truth. He shows up in a chevy pu with a camper shell on the back, builds his boats, builds his motors, and understands how to adjust trim, and can drive them hydros like they are slot cars. I just hope he never gets tired of hydros, and buys a mono!

Outerlimits SV43
03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Is1fst98,

I think I will go for 2x 400A (Waterproof) and I will come back to you when Im ganna place an order. A good price for a set ;)
So you dont think I will need an extra cap bank for running these 400As? (2x TP 5850 / 10 or 12S)

Outerlimits SV43
03-14-2017, 11:17 AM
donhuff, :iagree:

Fluid
03-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Donhuff when I read that your two ESCs failed with the same motor (a used one to boot) I remembered ESC failures I have had. About twelve years ago I overheated a Hacker XL motor (over 190* on the can) but put it in the motor box and thought little of it. A year later I put it in an oval cat and after three laps the ESC (a Hacker) burst into flames. It was a well-used ex-SAW ESC so I thought little of it. A few months later the same boat/motor combo blew a proven Castle Barracuda. This was all with round cells. It finally dawned on me that the motor was the only thing common to both failures and was likely the cause of the ESC failures.

More recently I was setting up a SAW hydro in a new hull and just wanted a moderate setup to start to trim the hull. A brand new Castle ICE, a brand new Neu 1527, brand new packs. Less than twenty seconds after leaving the beach (no WOT) the ESC blew. Darn, I thought the setup was moderate. Cleaned up the boat and used a different motor to set some records. A year later, same thing with that new 1527 - 20 seconds and another roasted ESC. Yep, bad motor.

Moral to the story, the ESCs may have been taken out by the motor. Bad magnets will raise the effective Kv and reduce efficiency substantially, with the expected result. A shorted wind can do the same. Or, the ESCs could have been bad. Food for thought.

ray schrauwen
03-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Handled it like a Champ yet again for 16S3P today! Video is just the first half of the run.
]

Have you been able to calculate your amp draw? Not many of us run 2 pole motors and Lehner is the only one to make a motor 2 poles worth while.

I'm just guessing that at that high voltage your amp draw is fairly reasonable for that esc. Do you think all would be same if the motor was swapped out for a TP of similar specs? It's harder to commutate a 6 pole motor compared to a 2 pole.

I would love to see another esc manufacturer on the market with reliability equal or higher than what we have to choose from now.

donhuff
03-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advise Fluid. But there were two different motors involved. I know in all my "story telling" it probably got lost. But I started with the 1440 then switched to the 2080 and blew the first one. Changed to the second esc and got the record. Swapped the motor back to the 1440 and blew the second esc. The damage might have been done to the second esc by the second motor since the second esc did not make it but a 1/4 lap with the third motor. GOOD GRIEF... this is getting like a six way love affair on a tv soap opera!

We wondered about something like that cause at a race a couple weekends ago, we were trying to race the new Q boat in open offshore with the 1440, and it was getting hot no matter what we tried for a prop, until we got itty bitty with it. So little that the gas boats were out accelerating me at the start. And I was on the line, in lane one, at the sound of the buzzer! I should have been at buoy one looking back and sticking my tongue out and saying "nah nanny boo boo"! But that little prop slipped so bad they got the jump on me and I had to back out of it to dodge boats and the tidal wave that churns up at turn one/first lap. It eventually hooked up and I was able to catch them, but I really wanted that hole shot that the FEs usually have, to get me out front in the "clean water".

So when I got home I checked for shorted windings and found that there was a circuit between the leads and the stator stack.:swear:

Then I got out all of my 4070s and checked them and found that the one I have been running in my P was the same way. It broke the 1/3 and 1/4 mile record twice before! This don't sound rite at all! The 2080 that got the Q record was fine, and remember it is the one that blew the ESCs.

So as carefully as I could, unlaced the 1440 with the short only to find NOTHING at all, the spot must have been tiny. In talking with Smock, he sez long as there is just the one "naked" spot shorted to the stack, it'll be ok. But a second one on a different lead and we WILL have some smoke.

Odd thing too since you mention weakened magnets. That 1440 checked out at 1611 kv with my checker. And the other used 1440 one checked at 1604 HUMMMM. That 2080 checked at about 2160. I need to check a brand new motor and see what it does. I know all my AQ 2030s check at around 1920-1980.

ray schrauwen
03-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Wow, thanks. I'll check out my 4070 1250kv motor to see if there are shorts. I can guarantee it's KV is way more than 1250.

ray schrauwen
03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Neu and TP rate their magnets to be good up to 180F. Too bad Scorpion doesn't make this size motors. Theirs are rated much higher, supposedly....

I'm waiting to see the IS-3445 -2200kv in my mailbox. Really interested to see what others have already bought out of stock from Scorpion. Something must be good???? :spy:

Should be here soon.

Ken Haines
03-15-2017, 11:43 AM
outerlimits,

Thanks. I like making a story out of it cause most of the time on the forums the reading is either boring or a bunch of B---itching. I left out a lot of the story cause I am a one finger typer, and it takes me forever to do a message.

I wish I had stayed a couple more days and just hung out and helped, I had my room rented for the next four days. But with no more ESCs in the spare box except for a couple of turnigy 120As, I figured I might as well head home. I also had a bad cold and couldn't hardly work on stuff for wiping snot off my nose constantly. Martin Truex showed up the day after I left. I would have enjoyed watching him turning 7.5 second laps!!!!!!

Everyone thinks money is the only reason he does so well but that is far from the truth. He shows up in a chevy pu with a camper shell on the back, builds his boats, builds his motors, and understands how to adjust trim, and can drive them hydros like they are slot cars. I just hope he never gets tired of hydros, and buys a mono!

Hi Don, Very very interesting reading, thanks for taking the time.
I had been wondering about those Fliers after some claims that had been made by some of my club members.
Looks again like the high quality ones still come with the higher price tags, like the MGM's.
My Schulze's have held up well but always keeping an eye on these new products. Doug is right, Castle's of the past were very good....They are still my go to P-Ltd Esc, hopefully we some new marine products from them soon. I have not actually been able to find Joe Ford's post but have been told that they are looking at the Marine market again. Congrats again on the Q-Mono 2-lap record :)
See you soon in Atlanta,
Ken & Fede

Fluid
03-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Ken: post #61
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56509-What-s-your-favorite-ESC&p=682763&highlight=#post682763

Ken Haines
03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Ken: post #61
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?56509-What-s-your-favorite-ESC&p=682763&highlight=#post682763

Thanks Jay

donhuff
03-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Thanks Ken.
I bet when you left me at Blue Lake, you figured that I was wasting my time trying to set a record didn't you. And I have to agree with you, I didn't think so either, as I was driving poorly for sure. I'm always like that at a race to begin with. I finally got settled down and then BOOM!!!! And my nerves were shot again! I really did not want to go down there by myself, read that (without a DRIVER) but no one else from our club could make it. FE guru Smock was busy, cool and calm Brad Schafer is always working now days, and my son "Lane one or nothing" Lamar, were all busy and couldn't help me. They left it to the old man to do it all by himself. I think with just a little more tuning to motor kv and the esc, we can bring that number way down. With Lamar at the wheel I feel safe saying that 1.5 to 2 seconds should come off easily, I just have to keep it running. The hull needs nothing as it is stable as a rock with a sense able driver in command.

Congrats on your N and S hydro records.

Doug Smock
03-16-2017, 08:06 PM
"Pop" Huff doesn't give himself enough credit.:wink:

Moonie
03-30-2017, 12:36 AM
I got a 400. It's in a 45" mono that does 63 mph on race trim. How do I change the timing?

Lone-Wolf
03-30-2017, 12:14 PM
Your esc's should have come with the "USB Linker", this attaches between the esc and your computer. Simply download the programming software and driver in the link below, hook up a 4S pack to the esc and plug it all together and you're good to go, pretty easy.

Download the USB driver here (second from the bottom) (http://www.fliermodel.com/en/download.asp)

Here's the instructions (http://www.miniracingteknik.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Manual-of-ESC-for-Boat.pdf)

Moonie
03-30-2017, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=Lone-Wolf;687642]Your esc's should have come with the "USB Linker", this attaches between the esc and your computer. Simply download the programming software and driver in the link below, hook up a 4S pack to the esc and plug it all together and you're good to go, pretty easy.

Download the USB driver here (second from the bottom) (http://www.fliermodel.com/en/download.asp)

I did t know that was the only way. Is the timmig preset to 0? Thank you.

Lone-Wolf
03-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Page 3 of the instructions I linked above state 0 degree's of timing as the preset.

Page 5 and 6 of the instructions explain how to program without the USB linker.

Maybe take a moment and read the instructions ;-)

Moonie
03-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Page 3 of the instructions I linked above state 0 degree's of timing as the preset.

Page 5 and 6 of the instructions explain how to program without the USB linker.

Maybe take a moment and read the instructions ;-)
I don't have any instructionsr. Why do you think I'm asking you for? I'm not a fool I know to read instructions first. You sound like my dad;)

Lone-Wolf
03-31-2017, 10:54 AM
I linked the instructions in my post, here they are again (http://www.miniracingteknik.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Manual-of-ESC-for-Boat.pdf)...click the link and save/download it for reference. Certainly not saying you are a fool, I probably sound like your Dad because I am one...can't help it. I'm a bit of a hypocrite as I am bad at reading instructions myself.

Moonie
03-31-2017, 12:14 PM
I linked the instructions in my post, here they are again (http://www.miniracingteknik.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Manual-of-ESC-for-Boat.pdf)...click the link and save/download it for reference. Certainly not saying you are a fool, I probably sound like your Dad because I am one...can't help it. I'm a bit of a hypocrite as I am bad at reading instructions myself.
This Second or third hand esc I got I'm sorry but I know nothing about about these. All I got was a esc lol. Thanks for all your help. I'm understanding a lot more now.

robw
03-31-2017, 01:57 PM
I couldn't download off flier, so ordered a programme box with my esc (car esc) works perfectly, very easy to use, it's this thread that led me to order another flier, last one in 2014 was neither use nor ornament, now they have "upgraded" software esc is brilliant, who knows, with so many sprint cats and a performance unlimited raptorcat,tp5850/5860 spare, I might just order the flier boat 400 amp

Lone-Wolf
03-31-2017, 02:11 PM
This Second or third hand esc I got I'm sorry but I know nothing about about these. All I got was a esc lol. Thanks for all your help. I'm understanding a lot more now.

Since you got the esc's used there is no telling what the timing is set at right now. Too bad you don't have the USB linker but go through those instructions and set the timing manually, just be patient as it will probably take a few tries. Manual programming is a drag, I find that after I learn it, it becomes easy but then I have to re-learn it each time I wanna change something! At any rate, keep us in the loop if you need any help and what the outcome is.

MarkF
04-20-2017, 02:44 AM
I just started using the flier 400 in my mono and they work great. Mine came with the timing at 3 deg. I tried it at 10 deg. and the esc thermaled on the 8th lap.Wait 2 minutes and the boat came back to shore. So I will go back to 3 deg since it worked well there. I'm running a TP 5870 685kv on 10s and a variety of 67 to 70mm props. This is my heat racing boat and with the right prop does 70+ mph. My motor gets a little hot and the packs are warm but the esc is barely warm. This is my new esc for big boats.

Mark

racerr73
04-20-2017, 06:07 AM
Hi Mark,
Couple of questions if that's ok. Did you get the flier 400 in the red box or the one in normal white shrink wrap?, also where did you purchase it from. I take it the motor you are using is a "d" wind?.

Thanks
Trev

MarkF
04-20-2017, 12:43 PM
It's the white shrink wrap and i get direct from flier. My motor is a Y wind.
By the way, to the guy that said his customer used error running a Y wind on 0 timing. You don't know motors if that is your statement. D winds run best at 0 timing but Y winds run most efficient at 0 timing but do run a little faster with some advanced timing but at the expense of more heat in the controller.This also depends on your boat and set up too.
I asked flier what they recomended for my Y wind and they said they would send the esc ready to go for my motor. I checked the timing and they used custom and set the timing to 3deg. On my Y wind motors it depends on the boat which timing I use. A hydro I use 5 to 10deg because they run loose, but on all my monos I use 0deg timing because they run more wet and I like to use a big prop on them for heat racing. But that's just me.

Mark

Lone-Wolf
04-20-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm going to reprogram the one in my 70" mono for a few degree's instead of the 15 I am running, motor is Lehner 3080. Boat does feel like it could use a bit more torque but heat was actually fine on 16S3P!

jevmax
07-13-2017, 04:47 PM
[
I need either a programming box or the USB cord to program a Flier 400A unit. Can you help?

Thanks,
Jim V

QUOTE=ls1fst98;678926]I have been a flier dealer and selling via my facebo

ok group for over a year now. Weve had good luck with them. The 250 and 300 have been some of the better units from testing. I personally use the twin 300a in my hpr 135, a paor of 250 in my hpr c5009, and use them in my mean machine and my cheetah single. The 5009 has a pair of tp4070 2200kv and on 5s it cruises nice and cool at mid to upper 80s, best of 87.6 on gps on 5s and anc 1815 props. I will be happy to email anyone a price list and can offer good discounts on 3 or more esc, i also sell car escs[/QUOTE]

CraigP
07-13-2017, 05:27 PM
To the guy who is a Flier dealer: Do you know if these ESC's are programmed to use AFW mode? That's active free wheeling. It's big with heli guys you use part throttle a lot. It wouldnt be a programmed option, just something included in the firmware... I would really like to use an ESC with that mode in it.

ls1fst98
07-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Is afw similar to like a no braking option? I can ask the factory, but i havent seen it.

And yes i can get either a program box or usb lonker, shoot me a pm

CraigP
07-13-2017, 05:40 PM
AFW is used when the ESC is in the PWM mode. When the upper mosfet turns off, the motor inductance drives the voltage on the motor lead negative, until the body diode of the lower mosfet starts to conduct and clamps off the voltage from continuing negative. The current going thru the body diode instead of the mosfet is what heats up ESC's in part throttle usage. The volt drop of the diode is 5-10 times higher than that of a conducting mosfet.

AFW will turn ON the lower mosfet until the ESC detects the current going close to zero, thus keeping the current out of the body diode. If you use braking, like a car, then the opposite is true. It's the upper mosfet body diode that starts to conduct. Yes please ask the factory. They may call it by something else, but this explanation should get the message across, thanks!

CraigP
07-13-2017, 05:48 PM
The factory may also be familiar with the term "Syncronous Rectification".

jevmax
07-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Ls1fst98,
Please acknowledge my PMs regarding the programming box. Am I getting through?
Thx,
Jevmax

MarkF
07-15-2017, 01:45 AM
Jim

I have an extra program box and maybe a USB cord. PM your address and I will send it out Saturday.

Mark

jevmax
07-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Thank you Mark!

Jim Vaughn
27019 Skiers Crossing Drive
Katy, Texas. 77493

Now that I am retired, I'll be building more big boats :). Do you still handle the Dinogy lipos?

All the best,
Jim Vaughn

MarkF
07-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Yes I do. My brand took home more wins and set more records at the last nats than any other brand. Brian B also went 140 mph on 4s using my lipos. I have a new graphene line that is doing very well.
I got a box and USB coming your way for your flier.

Mark

baller69
10-15-2017, 02:36 AM
i have several flier escs.i have one powering a lehner 3060 in a speed car fg and another powering a lehner 3040 in a 48 inch cat speed boat and other in many speed boats and cars running up to 16s.not one has failed yet.i must say they are great especially for china!