PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of links for vintage cats?

ace028
11-09-2008, 12:32 AM
There is quite a few links and pics of various beautiful wood finish shovel nose hydros and such, same with wood monos, but I can't find any wood finish cats. When I search I can only find cat sail boats. Does anyone know of links or pics of vintage wood finish cats or any vintage cats that are not sail boats, but are either family or weekend cruisers to full race boats. I may want to model my twin cat, or a future build of one, maybe even build a real one when the time is right (many years from now lol:bounce:) Thanks guys.

obrien
11-09-2008, 12:46 AM
You might try offshoreonly.com there may be something there, and if not there will most likely be someone who can help. Another one is screamandfly.com Not as likely have what you are looking for, but again, its a place that might have some info.

Ocean Racer
11-09-2008, 01:58 AM
as far as i know cats worrent really raced until fiberglass became popular. so im pretty sure you are going to have a tuff time finding a wood cat. you might just want to design your own old style cat. look at the different setups from peticular era year you want and get ideas on layouts.

ace028
11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for the links and info. I'm thinking that it may look unique, maybe even really cool looking.

Fluid
11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Ocean's correct, wood cats are rare. Wood didn't work well on larger offshore race boats due to the limited strength of wood for the twin hull design. A few smaller outboards were built, but they did away with the pickle forks to add strength.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/

J Solinger
11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
One vintage wood finish cat coming up. Nyuc Nyuc

http://i33.tinypic.com/2s0bswn.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
I agree with the previous posts, offshore cat hulls are pretty new yet. I don't think they got much consideration till about the 80's.

Ub Hauled
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Light weight, strong, transom to thin for any known hardware needs some reinforcement on the joints and...
not very aerodynamic...
:smile:

Ocean Racer
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
bet it would run pretty good:rofl: