PDA

View Full Version : Voracity break away rudder

fweasel
11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
This is a cross post from a RCG post by Rafael Lopez regarding a new break away rudder design for the Proboat Voracity:

"Guys, I'll pull a boat from the warehouse for inspection next week to see if the break away rudder has been incorporated in to the latest orders of boats. I'll also check stock on replacement rudders with the break away and see if they also came in the stock yet. We'll update the website with new pictures of the rudder when possible.

The part number for the rudder is the same. It was a running change, so there will not be mention on any of the websites, though I can add it to the boats feature set once, I confirm that the boats we have in stock and replacement rudders have the break away feature. "

After running my Zelos aground last weekend, I've decided this is a feature I need on all of my boats. :sinking-guy:

kfxguy
11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Funny thing is when I was testing a prototype voracity I had mentioned that it needed a break away rudder....that idea was shot down. Glad to see that proboat has widened up. Not having a break away point is pretty dangerous, it could easily rip the transom open.

fweasel
11-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Installed the new rudder. Mounted to the hull no problem. The attachment point for the push rod is closer to the hull, so you need to make the adjusement on the servo horn, which means the stock flat spot on the push rod needs to be recreated further down. The turning geometry is also a little different between the two version as the pivot point is closer to the rudder on the original, and further away on the revision. I can't say I noticed much of a difference on the one run I've made with it since changing.

LuckY07
03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Need some advice on rudders. I need to setup a break-away rudder so I don't damage the hull if I hit something. I ordered the following rudder last summer > https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80050

Is this still considered a good upgrade for the Voracity or is the new rudder going to be better? Does it make sense to still install this rudder as an "upgrade" along with the break-away feature?
If I do install this I imagine I need to drill some holes or make a modify a couple existing. Do I need to sharpen the rudder? What about drilling the water pickup slightly larger?
I want to get started on this project but wanted to make sure it still makes sense.

fweasel
03-28-2017, 04:51 PM
I just bought the updated part from proboat and installed it in 10min. My boat is just for fun and I haven't had a need for any type of rudder upgrade.

04-09-2019, 01:44 PM
can you give me link to buy this new break away ruddr for voracity??

fweasel
04-09-2019, 06:03 PM
can you give me link to buy this new break away ruddr for voracity??

The part number is PRB281029