PDA

View Full Version : Whip 40 slight twist. is it ok or not?

ray schrauwen
11-07-2016, 10:14 AM
I just checked my Whip 40 and when on the setup board there is a 2mm difference in height measuring from corian board to bottom of transom.

Viewing from the rear the right/starboard side is higher.

What problems will this cause?

I don't think it's fixable since it most likely occurred when I fixed the transom.

Advice please, thanks!

TRUCKPULL
11-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Seeing that the rear end rides up on the prop, and the transom rides in the wind.
It may be hard to see a difference when running.

Larry

785boats
11-08-2016, 07:50 AM
I would just check that the rudder is at 90 degrees to the set up board (when viewed from behind) & not the bottom of the transom, and adjust accordingly.

ray schrauwen
11-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Thank you!

longballlumber
11-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Are your ride surfaces OK when setting on the setup board? Do they measure correctly with an digital angle finder???

Regardless, a twist in a hull is never optimal. Whichever corner on the transom is lifted; the opposite sponson is going to be "tweaked". This WILL affect AOA, Dihedrial, etc... How much of a performance difference???? Only you will know. 2mm isn't much, but I am surprised only the transom caused this. "Usually" the upper and lower decking will lock in hull rigidity, but who knows.

good luck,
Ball

ray schrauwen
11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
They seem ok. I'll try to check with digital angle gauge.

I wasn't going to seriously keep running Q sport since its more $$$ than I can handle upkeep. Rather just run 4s boats.

I'll just run it one more season and then retire it.

ray schrauwen
11-08-2016, 09:59 AM
The biggest problem with my Q sport was heat and I think I found the choke point for cooling.