PDA

View Full Version : CCW which gun do you use and why?

rockwerks
11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Ali and I are getting our CCW's this month and buying new handguns.

what do you all carry? recommend?

We are looking for .40 S&W semi auto's at least

teetriple
11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I carry a kimber ultra cdp with 3 inch barrel awesome gun holds tight groups a bit pricey but worth it pretty light for 1911 45 alloy frame

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Yep out of my price range............I was thinking along the lines of the taurus pt-140 for the wife and the Taurus 24/7 Pro for me.

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 01:18 AM
This would be my choice:

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=14

.45 ACP get the job done the first time.

But whatever you decide on. PLEASE take the time to actually become proficient. It still mystifies me why gun owners get all wound up about this. In most states all it takes to buy a gun is a clean record and the money. But we require the girl who cuts your hair to be proficient and licensed. How insane is that??

My wife is 5 foot nothing and never had a problem with a .45.

And this will no doubt shock some of you, but when I was doing my fieldwork in geology in SE Arizona just feet from the border I carried TWO guns. A Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum in a holster with 2 rounds of snake shot in the first 2 chambers and a full size stainless steel .45 ACP in my pack. And yes, I knew how to use both of them. Still have them but see little or no reason to walk around with them. At the ready in the house to be sure, along with the Remington 12 Ga.

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Double Post.

Maybe I should sell my guns. I am too stupid to use the internet how can I possibly be OK to own a gun.

RCprince
11-08-2008, 01:20 AM
WTF... is this a gun trade show now...:cursing: Ariz. boy, 8, accused of killing 2, including dad http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_re_us/child_charged back in the days a fist use to be your best weapon, the loser would still be alive to keep stepping.

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 01:25 AM
WTF... is this a gun trade show now...:cursing: Ariz. boy, 8, accused of killing 2, including dad http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_re_us/child_charged back in the days a fist use to be your best weapon, the loser would still be alive to keep stepping.

This an off topic thread about hadnguns for ccw, if you dont like it thats fine but dont start your usual liberal crap and junk it up please. If you wish go start another thread

ace028
11-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I like my dads Glock ( not sure what model, but .40 cal) I am wanting to buy a Glock or HK, but prices have gone up in the past few years.

Avanti
11-08-2008, 01:39 AM
H&K USP .40
because in a world of compromise, some don't

I also have a S&W M&P9C

Avanti
11-08-2008, 01:40 AM
The first gun my wife ever shot was a full auto H&K MP5

ace028
11-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Avanti, have you tried a glock .40? Would you rec the hk over the glock? My dad told me to buy a hk over the glock if I buy in that price range. I know there are tons of stuff for glock if you were to want to change things, but I don't really know much about HK except the reputation

This is a little off topic, but I thought it was really cool, check it out, its sort of a CCW, just watch and see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s&feature=related

Avanti
11-08-2008, 01:51 AM
ACE they are very similar in comparison I just hate glocks because of the wannbe factor.
but either way you can't go wrong. there is a good comparison video on the tube.
the glock also have every add on toy imaginable available for it if your in to tactical stuff and bling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ9wXzhr_4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZmVcR4CEk4
he claims not to be bias, but I think he favor the glock.
at any rate great comps...

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 01:59 AM
While on the subject of self defense when I was younger I felt more strongly about being armed whenever legally possible. As I've grown older and realized that in my now close to 53 years on Earth I have not once been in a position where I needed to use a gun to protect myself.

Not sure what that means, but perhaps the perception of danger is far greater than the actual danger. But in the end I have no qualms about people being legally armed. My only sticking point is how few actually learn to become proficient and even fewer that stay proficient.

And in case some here have never heard of this man, take a look:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cooper.htm

As far as I am concerned, Col. Cooper was THE man.

A great way to stay proficient and to get some real life stress shooting is through organized events, especially those held by the IPSC.

http://www.ipsc.org/

http://www.uspsa.org/

Avanti
11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
For the record I don't carry, my guns are for shooting at the range and home protection.

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 02:21 AM
And I still love the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the DS has the recruits marching around singing "This is rifle and this is my gun. One is for killing the other is for fun!!"

The reason I am a big fan of competitive practical shooting events is that they give you as close to a real life shooting situation as you can get. And when you are stressed you will revert to your training. And if you have no training, then you might as well throw the damn thing at the bad guys.

ace028
11-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Mine would be only for home protection also, but I think having a permit is a good idea.

Avanti, thanks for the link, I think I like the glock better due to durability of the polymar, but I think the HK looks better (not that it matters for its purpose), and is probably more comfortable to shoot, looks like either choice is good. Both are probably out of my price range right now, though. Maybe I can pick up a good used one.

If you type magpul on youtube you get a bunch of cool clips of guns and mock up scenarios.

Avanti
11-08-2008, 02:27 AM
either one will be in the $500+ range

Steven Vaccaro
11-08-2008, 06:09 AM
This would be my choice:

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=14

.45 ACP get the job done the first time.

But whatever you decide on. PLEASE take the time to actually become proficient. It still mystifies me why gun owners get all wound up about this. In most states all it takes to buy a gun is a clean record and the money. But we require the girl who cuts your hair to be proficient and licensed. How insane is that??

My wife is 5 foot nothing and never had a problem with a .45.

And this will no doubt shock some of you, but when I was doing my fieldwork in geology in SE Arizona just feet from the border I carried TWO guns. A Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum in a holster with 2 rounds of snake shot in the first 2 chambers and a full size stainless steel .45 ACP in my pack. And yes, I knew how to use both of them. Still have them but see little or no reason to walk around with them. At the ready in the house to be sure, along with the Remington 12 Ga.

I like seeing this post by Bill. It shows even though he's a dem, he harbors some hidden inside right wing views. He's just totally understanding them yet. :bounce:Dont worry Bill, we all still love ya!

Steven Vaccaro
11-08-2008, 06:15 AM
I am carrying a Glock Model 27 at work, but also have a HK40. After trying to be proficient with the 27 for years, I will switch to carrying the HK once I find a nice holster for it. The HK is much smoother. For those of you who don't know, my full time day job is a jewelry store owner in a rougher than liked neighborhood.

Meniscus
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
What about a Sig Sauer P229? (for the record, I stick to the rifle and shotgun for hunting) However, I do borrow a handgun when I go into the mountains.

Diegoboy
11-08-2008, 09:41 AM
The only gun I ever owned was a 9x18mm Makarov exactly like this one.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/387495723_b8b28a0354.jpg?v=0

I sold it after my camping trip in the blueridge mountains.

Foreign-made 9x18mm ammunition is very inexpensive and allows for considerable shooting. It is slightly more powerful and much less costly than the ballistically similar .380 ACP

Avanti
11-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a safe full :bounce:
my fav is my Armalite AR15

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I like seeing this post by Bill. It shows even though he's a dem, he harbors some hidden inside right wing views. He's just totally understanding them yet. :bounce:Dont worry Bill, we all still love ya!

I am actually registered as an Independent. You see, I think a woman should be able to CCW when when goes to get an abortion is she so desires.

But don't get too happy yet. I also think that there is not even the slightest bit wrong with requiring people to demonstrate some minimum level of competence with a firearm before they can go off and start packing heat.

And finally, I am always concerned about the Billy Bad A$$ mentality that I see from many gun owners. 90% of these folks would fill their own shorts if they were ever actually confronted with a situation requiring the use of deadly force.

But in the end, I agree with Col. Cooper, An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
The only gun I ever owned was a 9x18mm Makarov exactly like this one.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/387495723_b8b28a0354.jpg?v=0

I sold it after my camping trip in the blueridge mountains.

Foreign-made 9x18mm ammunition is very inexpensive and allows for considerable shooting. It is slightly more powerful and much less costly than the ballistically similar .380 ACP

Those are nice little guns, but what a kick! shooting that all day will build you your hand and forearm hungarian PA-63. There are spring kits and other mods available to reduce the trigger pull and kick about 50%. They shoot a real nice pattern very accurate. Being la lefty though I had to make myself up a set of grips

Steven Vaccaro
11-08-2008, 10:48 AM
But don't get too happy yet. I also think that there is not even the slightest bit wrong with requiring people to demonstrate some minimum level of competence with a firearm before they can go off and start packing heat.

And finally, I am always concerned about the Billy Bad A$$ mentality that I see from many gun owners. 90% of these folks would fill their own shorts if they were ever actually confronted with a situation requiring the use of deadly force.

But in the end, I agree with Col. Cooper, An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

I agree that there should be training. In the great on state of Massachusetts getting a firearm is extremely difficult!

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately that is the problem. I think the government has focused on making it harder to obtain a firearm rather than making sure that those who do get them are safe and trained.

I am not a fan of background checks and such. Bad guys will get guns irrespective of that. But it makes no sense to me that Joe Suburbia can fill out the papers, pass a background check and he is good to go. Here in California they actually require that you obtain a handgun safety certificate (not needed for rifles and shotguns). You have to pass a test on safe handling and gun laws and then do a practical test with the gun you want demonstrating that you actually know how to safely load and unload it.

Not one person I know of would be OK with allowing people to drive without a license, but owning a gun without a similar deal is just fine and dandy. But as I said, sadly the government has focused licensing on who can own a gun and record keeping in that regard rather than on making those people safe.

This is one place I think the NRA has gone way off course. I think that if we had proficiency based licensing it would reduce the number of accidental deaths and injury and remove one of the major points used by anti-gun people to argue against guns.

Bottom line - I think anyone who owns a gun and who has not taken at the very least a course in safe handling is an idiot.

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Both Ali and I have had gun safety courses and have signed up for refresher as for the competitive type courses those would be several hundred miles away from us (or farther). We both have been around guns our whole lives. I run a 6 cottage resort on the Olympic Peninsula, the closest town of any size is 70 miles away. I take several walks around the property at night to make sure that there is nothing out of place. I am the security for the resort and our guests;, and feel its time to take that roll a little more serious.

As in the past, when I purchase the new guns. I will spend quite a bit on ammo, so we can practice, and practice. I think I also found a retired sheriffs officer to give us further training.

teach
11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/loaded-desert-eagle-web.jpg

I know it's not realistic and i know nothing about guns.......but it's sure neato.

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 11:33 AM

I know it's not realistic and i know nothing about guns.......but it's sure neato.

actually that looks like a Walther P99 variant all decked out. a very nice handgun. :thumbup1:

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Both Ali and I have had gun safety courses and have signed up for refresher as for the competitive type courses those would be several hundred miles away from us (or farther). We both have been around guns our whole lives. I run a 6 cottage resort on the Olympic Peninsula, the closest town of any size is 70 miles away. I take several walks around the property at night to make sure that there is nothing out of place. I am the security for the resort and our guests;, and feel its time to take that roll a little more serious.

As in the past, when I purchase the new guns. I will spend quite a bit on ammo, so we can practice, and practice. I think I also found a retired sheriffs officer to give us further training.

Sounds to me like you are in the perfect situation to be armed/CCW.

rockwerks
11-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Sounds to me like you are in the perfect situation to be armed/CCW.

Yep my thoughts exactly. 99% of the time everything is cool and idelic here, then someone flips out and shoots and kills a forest ranger, an off duty, cop and some poor old guy in the wrong place at the right time............The PNW is a place where many social drop outs have come to exist.

Darin Jordan
11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
If anyone wants to come shooting sometime... I live about two blocks away from here: http://www.rfgc.org/

The noise there has picked up a lot lately... ;)

Spot Me 2
11-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Yep out of my price range............I was thinking along the lines of the taurus pt-140 for the wife and the Taurus 24/7 Pro for me.

I have a 24/7 Pro. It is a little big for ccw. I have a Millenium Pro.45acp. It's a great carry gun. 3.25" barrel and can be had for around $350 new.. My old carry gun was a Glock 30. I just like the feel of the Taurus better. For a carry gun I would definately go 45! You want one shot stopping power!!!

Darin Jordan
11-08-2008, 02:08 PM
The PNW is a place where many social drop outs have come to exist.

I heard a funny saying in relation to all the transplants here in WA...

"Washington is the place where California sends all of the people that are too looney to stay there..." :biggrin:

A lot of very "different" people around here with the influx... ;)

Doug Smock
11-08-2008, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=rockwerks;61891.The PNW is a place where many social drop outs have come to exist.[/QUOTE]

So it's alot like Southern California??:bounce:;)

Doug :popcorn2:

Bill-SOCAL
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I live in Orange County, which is perhaps one of the most conservative areas in the country. We were the only urban county to go for McCain as well. So while parts of LA and SF are pretty out there at times, in fact most of the state is far less looney.

obrien
11-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I have to agree with what Bill has been saying. I completely agree on everyone needing proper training before they can carry. Ofcourse I also think people should have to pass a test to drive a jetski or a boat, and have a license to do so. Any boat that runs over 50 mph should have to have a more difficult license to get, and it should get tougher as boat speeds increase. there are too many yahoos on the water these days. ok, back on topic

azjc
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM

looks more like a Desert Eagle...I have had a couple, a .44 mag and a .50AE, I got rid of the .50 cal ....it was too expensive to shoot about $1 a round. I have owned a 9mm Glock, but my fav weapon is my HK-91 which I take to the Arizona desert to go shooting

Avanti
11-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Desert Eagle (I can't see the caliber either .44 or .50)
Walther red dot site
Surefire tactical light

Nice piece, but more of an intimidation gun than a carry weapon.

FE Wannabe
11-08-2008, 05:33 PM
My vote is always for my H&K USP .40, especially when loaded with 13 rounds of 135 grain +P Corbons (aka flying ashtrays). Similar balistics to a .357 mag but in a smaller package.

detox
11-10-2012, 12:54 PM
The S&W Model 327 TRR8 would be my choice. Eight shot .357 magnum $1200.00
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765661_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Walmart carries Colt AR15 $1089.00 This le6920 is cool.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Colt-LE6920-Carbine-Semi-Auto-Rifle-223-Rem-5.56-NATO/21677322

stadiumyamaha
11-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm very partial to the glock 17. Has never failed to fire and deadly accurate after thousands of round.
Most of the police And tactical guys I shoot with prefer them for this fact.
Keep in mind that with a glock once a round is chambered the gun is hot and has no safety. It does have three internal safeties that protect from accidental fires from dropping it but the gun is still hot. If its chambered and you pull the trigger, it fires.
For home defense I would recommend a short tactical shotgun. They don't shoot through walls.

Flyin Okie
11-10-2012, 03:14 PM
My first was a Glock 23 years ago and am now using a G26. I personally like them as they all function reliably and uniformly. Plus I can run a 27-round G17 mag also.

Steven Vaccaro
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Glock Model 27 here with the extended finger clip. Makes a great front pants pocket firearm.

Rocstar
11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Currently carrying a Kahr CW40...Light single stack mag and affordable..good all around carry.
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW40.asp

PatrickM
11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Glock 36 for reliable CC..... waiting on my Sig M-11, but may have to settle for a P229 for plinking.

drwayne
11-10-2012, 07:03 PM
It is easier to gain a commercial pilot license than handgun permit in Australia.
CCW is an offense to all except Govt.

That said, the training and certification required is most satisfactory to produce competent cognizant users.
Ditto long barrel.
Mandatory retrain at certified ranges is part that permit.

A brief history of exceptionally irrational individual behavior, led to our post y2k gun control laws.

.. S&W.40 3.5", std dept issue.

cpgise
11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Had a glock model 22 and now have a early sig p226.

gfm1135
11-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Find a handgun that is comfortable and easy to carry and concealable. If you get a weapon that is not easy to carry, you won't carry it. A lot of people purchase a weapon that is much to large to conceal carry. Bigger is not better if you don't carry it.

Joern Markset
11-11-2012, 03:18 AM
What do you guys use your guns for? Shooting cans?

justski
11-11-2012, 04:13 AM
i like my Glock 21 45-cal but i love my M&p 15-22...for all around playing .i have 3 lasers blue set for 25 years red set for 50 yards and green for 75 yards 88380

Steven Vaccaro
11-11-2012, 05:40 PM
This threads so old I forgot I already replied.

stadiumyamaha
11-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow. I just noticed how old the thread was.

sanyijr
11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow. I just noticed how old the thread was.

I have that same reaction when I look at my ID.

Darin Jordan
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I have that same reaction when I look at my ID.

Hahaha! ME TOO!

I don't know if I've already replied here, but I picked up an S&W Bodyguard 380 recently, as well as a "wallet holster" for it, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've read all the pros and cons, etc., of the .380, and I've fired the gun several times... Is it a nail driver? No way... BUT, it fits in my back pocket as if it were my wallet, and they make some really good self-defense loads for it. The bottom line is this: What is the "best" gun for concealed carry??? THE ONE YOU HAVE WITH YOU!!

With this gun, I can ALWAYS have it with me!

ron1950
11-13-2012, 11:53 PM
darn u guys put me to shame .....all i have is a 380 macharove (spelling lol) had it for prob 15 years and never fired it once ....figured an ar 15 or ak 47 was a bit over kill till i saw the walking dead :) on TV

tlandauer
11-14-2012, 03:31 AM
darn u guys put me to shame .....all i have is a 380 macharove (spelling lol) had it for prob 15 years and never fired it once ....figured an ar 15 or ak 47 was a bit over kill till i saw the walking dead :) on TV
Wish I had bought a Makarov, seldom see them any more here in Southern Ca. They were plentiful in the early 90's here in CA. For about the same size as a Walther PPK/S , ballistically these Russian ( Soviet) rounds ( 9x18) are slightly more powerful than the .380 ACP the Western Bloc used, and they were so cheap to buy.
I learned to handle pistol from a Beretta FS 9mm, still have it. My other favorite is a Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP, glad I am into FE boats now, the political climate has changed SO much in the last 20 years that I feel quite uncomfortable talking about guns with my colleagues here in the arts and entertainment industry. :spy:

sanyijr
11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I hear that Tlandauer... I make up for it with my purchases of new ones. It is true though, I have friends that love taking guns and then some that piss their pants at the mention of one. You should see their expressions when i tell them I have them on location. "Holy Shoot". Then i persuade them to come take a look...I have one well-meaning liberal couple we (wife and i) hang with and I have been able to turn the husband. Now every time we see them, he wants to see any new additions and talk theoretical purchases. It sure does help that the violent crime rate is rising faster than the california debt to boot in their area.

You just have to know how and when to discuss it. And when not to. Coarse, my new neighbor was a sniper in the army, so the conversation of guns always comes up :bounce:

And you are in the entertainment industry? My neighbor now does "security" for that kind... They ALL have security with guns. Little double standard, but who's counting...

tlandauer
11-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I hear that Tlandauer... You just have to know how and when to discuss it. And when not to. Coarse, my new neighbor was a sniper in the army, so the conversation of guns always comes up :bounce:

And you are in the entertainment industry? My neighbor now does "security" for that kind... They ALL have security with guns. Little double standard, but who's counting...
I am strictly a classical musician, I play in a symphony but being here in the SoCal, I do alot of movie sound tracks. Whatever is recorded here in Hollywood that uses a symphony in addition to whatever modern day mix they have, chances are that I was in it.
I can't jeopardize my employment with open discussion of this topic, it is a pitty since I believe in the right to own fire arms.

detox
11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
What is more cool? A $1097.97 Colt LE6920 AR15 rifle or a $1097.97 FE Whiplash 40 hydro? Tomorrow i will own both. Thanks Walmart:smile:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/590791_Colt_LE6920_Accuracy_.html

sanyijr
11-15-2012, 01:36 PM
This might be a bit off-topic, but any suggestions out there for typical home security for the wife? She has trouble with my CZ and Kimber slides and wondering how the 380 slide/springs are in comparison? Or other suggestions. She likes the ARs but not for home security. Whatever it is, it would be great for Xmas.....for her I mean....:tape:

LOVE6S
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
This might be a bit off-topic, but any suggestions out there for typical home security for the wife? She has trouble with my CZ and Kimber slides and wondering how the 380 slide/springs are in comparison? Or other suggestions. She likes the ARs but not for home security. Whatever it is, it would be great for Xmas.....for her I mean....:tape: Have you ever thought of a Taurus Judge, pulic defender, small, simple, 45 long colt or .410 shot shell, my friend cot one for his wife, in a real life confrontation, simplicity is key, being its a small light weight revlover, its just point and pull, and the price is not bad, check it out, Shawn.

sanyijr
11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
El Duche is not legal in CA. But I have shot it and it is nice.......

tlandauer
11-15-2012, 03:31 PM
My PPK/S 380 ACP slide spring is extremely stiff, I don't have another 380 to compare , but a fuller sized semi-auto slide is easier to grab, that said, revolver is simpler for home defense, imo.
Years ago I bought a Beretta Tomcat ( Tilting barrel design) in .32 ACP for my then wife who had trouble with the spring of a semi auto slide.

LOVE6S
11-15-2012, 03:32 PM
El Duche is not legal in CA. But I have shot it and it is nice....... Ah, gota love Cali, I am in N.H. state moto on plate is, LIVE FREE OR DIE.

sanyijr
11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Ah, gota love Cali, I am in N.H. state moto on plate is, LIVE FREE OR DIE.

Well in california you need a permit to live free.....and a differnt permit if you die.... Either way you pay taxes ....

But yes, revolver is the key. I am thinking a 357 short barrel revolver adn let her play with the 38 cal rounds a bit.

kingwrench
11-15-2012, 06:04 PM
As a retired Marine and former cop I am a huge 1911 fan so I cary a goverment model colt 1911, and as a back up use a para warthog compact on the ankle 10 round of 45 acp never hurts.
Ali and I are getting our CCW's this month and buying new handguns.

what do you all carry? recommend?

We are looking for .40 S&W semi auto's at least

LOVE6S
11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you may like the RUGER LCR, got one love it.