PDA

View Full Version : Darin's LeeCraft/Geraghty 3.5 Tunnel FE Conversion

Darin Jordan
11-05-2008, 11:06 PM
OK guys... I'm trying to work off some projects I've had around for awhile so I can get my new VS1 converted, and be ready to go for next season.

This one is a LeeCraft/Geraghty tunnel that was built by Tommy Lee himself, I'm told just before he lost his eyesight to Diabetes. Rod Geraghty has talked to me about this one and said that it's one of very few and "contains a lot of tricks". I'm not sure what all those are, but it's unlike any tunnel I've seen, even a Lynx... It's suppose to be a fast one, so we're making it into an FE.

I'll set it up initially with an AQ motor setup and run it in our P-Spec OPC class, but I may try this one as an all-out P-OPC boat, perhaps with a Neu 1515 1Y. We'll see how it goes...

At this point, I've gutted the inside to make room for the gear, and I'm in the process of relocating the transom to locate the motor properely... I needed to do this to make sure the pivot point stayed right were it was when using this motor/mount combo.

I'll post more as I make progress...

ace028
11-05-2008, 11:18 PM
You have too many cool projects, i'm jealous lol.

Where can you get that lawless unit? I may build a tunnel in the future.

Darin Jordan
11-07-2008, 03:39 PM
You can order the Lawless units from Fred Howe. His website is here:

http://www.lawlessdrives.com/

I found some pics of the boat when I first got it, before the conversion started... Was a total Nitro boat... I saw it race once and it was quite fast as well...

SJFE
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
That hull is just to bad man. I hope I have a fleet like you when I grow up:bowdown:.

Eodman
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Darin you have to photograph your fleet all together in on picture! Will they fit in one picture?

Darin Jordan
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Darin you have to photograph your fleet all together in on picture! Will they fit in one picture?

I don't have as many boats as some might think... I have sold quite a few so I could concentrate on the ones I really enjoy... and to make room for more projects...

Stealth Assassin
11-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I really like that cowling and I see that I like the fin. I am also working with fins like that In differant places. Seams to have alot of setback but, It's not Is It with the inset?... Or are the pics playing tricks on me.
I want one of those cowls.

How about a pic of the bottom? :popcorn2:

Tunnel width and depth?

Darin Jordan
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Seams to have alot of setback but, It's not Is It with the inset?... Or are the pics playing tricks on me.

The hull is 30" overall, but only 29" from from tips to tails of the sponsons... So there is about 1" setback from the back of the sponsons to where the outdrive steering pivot is located.

I want one of those cowls.

That's a one of a kind... I'm a little concerned, to be honest, about putting this into battle for fear of damaging the cowl... I'm thinking of pulling a mold off of this so it can be reproduced in ABS or glass... We'll see if I get that ambitious...

How about a pic of the bottom? :popcorn2:

Tunnel width and depth?

That information is classified... I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! :spy:

(I'll measure the tunnel width and depth this weekend and get back to you on that... ;) )

Stealth Assassin
11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
What's going on with this project? Darin, did you ever get my PM?

Darin Jordan
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Gang,

I'm FINALLY making some progress on this conversion. Only been able to tinker here and there over the past month, but this weekend I made some good strides.

I have the servo mount completed, and also installed some thin Carbon sheet into the bottom to give a nice flat platform to support the cells and other components. I also completed the new back for the now sealable center section, as well as finished the new transom. Then I installed a recessed lip all the way around the radio box area to support lids/tops for the cowl area. I'm thinking of making these using G10 or maybe some clear styrene plastic or ??? (G10 is winning out at the moment, especially since I have plenty of it here...)

Steering system is now fully rigged, so it's really just a matter of sealing up any areas I haven't already done so with, and then doing the finish work. Shouldn't be long now...

Darin Jordan
01-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Did some paintwork this weekend... Still have some decals and some clear to put on her, but she's just about ready to go!

calcagno45
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
True master of the rattle can and tape!

j.m.
01-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow!:drool:

lomdel
01-26-2009, 05:40 AM
I would really like to see the motor mounted on there!! Any final decisions on the electrics?

Eyekandyboats
01-26-2009, 06:40 AM
WHA! where is the beef

Darin Jordan
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
WHA! where is the beef

I'm heading a different direction for awhile and trying something a little different.

Jeff Wohlt
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
VERY nice work, Darin.

bonewar
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
You are a true Master sir , Love the steering set up , Paint , Over all look of the boat. Well done mate it looks Awesome. How fast well she be? Thanks Bonewar:rockon2:

RandyatBBY
01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Looks cook Darren, I have a Hooters to give you some to run in to.:sarcasm1: I set it up with the 5 year old SV 27 SC and motor. should be fun

Darin Jordan
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
OK... ClearCoat has dried... Still waiting for one graphic to arrive, but otherwise, it's just a matter of bolting on the lower-unit and rigging the electronics... Shouldn't be long now...

westbeach
01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Top Notch work as usual Darin. Watching your build sure gives me the itch to build a tunnel hull. :thumbup:

SJFE
02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Nice work Sir.

Darin Jordan
08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
It's been awhile since I've updated this thread... I've raced the boat once with the Spec power system using BJ26 power and 4S1P... mostly just tuning runs but it's showing a lot of promise... a little harder to drive than my WoodStuff, but part of that is just setup... It's getting closer...

I'll be racing it again this weekend and will try to get some pics and video this time out...

In the meantime, just for the fun of it... I put a driver in the cockpit... Might detail out the cockpit a little more over time, but looks kind of cool....

Ctonez
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
It's been awhile since I've updated this thread... I've raced the boat once with the Spec power system using BJ26 power and 4S1P... mostly just tuning runs but it's showing a lot of promise... a little harder to drive than my WoodStuff, but part of that is just setup... It's getting closer...

I'll be racing it again this weekend and will try to get some pics and video this time out...

In the meantime, just for the fun of it... I put a driver in the cockpit... Might detail out the cockpit a little more over time, but looks kind of cool....

...very nice. Now what can Brian and I give you crap about at the next race?

Darin Jordan
08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
...very nice. Now what can Brian and I give you crap about at the next race?

My Lame driving??? ;)

Ctonez
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
My Lame driving??? ;)

I don't think I'm in a good place to give you crap about your driving...until I get alot more water time. Brian is another story.

Hope you guys had fun at the Dist. race.:thumbup1:

sailr
08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Damn she's purty Darin! Wow!

Did some paintwork this weekend... Still have some decals and some clear to put on her, but she's just about ready to go!

sailr
08-08-2009, 07:10 PM
:beerchug: where'd ya get all those nifty decals? :just-kidding:

Chuck E Cheese
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
darin, any idea where i can get a lee craft tunnel hull? i am building a nitro project and cant find one

Darin Jordan
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Well... since we last spoke on this subject... ;)

After running the 2-Lap a few weeks ago, and then racing this boat again last weekend, and after consulting with some gurus who know WAY more than I ever will about racing RC boats... I decided to make a change to this hull.

The boat has a tendancy to "grab and roll" about 3/4 of the way through the corner... or whenever the front end came in too much contact with the water.

In looking carefully at the original recovery pads, you'll see that the AoA on them is nearly the same as the sponsons, and they should have more. Additionally, they are a sweeping curved surface, which, when coming in contact with the water, was likely acting like a suction cup and sucking the nose down. If you've ever tried the spoon test, you'll know what I'm talking about.

So, I'm replacing the recovery pads. Got them off last night, and fabbed some new ones using a composite foam core material, laminated with light 1/32" ply. I'll snap some pics of them installed tonight.

Hopefully this helps some...

j.m.
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
What about angling the surface so they don't grab? Or how about a rounded inside edge?

Jon

Darin Jordan
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
What about angling the surface so they don't grab? Or how about a rounded inside edge?

Jon

I've made new recovery pads that are flat, no curves. No rounded surfaces. Perhaps a bevel would work, like on the WoodStuff tunnels, but the edges are not the issue... I think generally we want all the edges to be sharp, and planing surfaces flat...

If you look at the JAE rigger sponsons, and tubs, for that matter, you'll notice there are no curved surfaces that might come in contact with the water...

j.m.
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Well if the flat surface still doesnt solve the problem it won't be hard to bevel the inside edge since the blocks are WOF.

Jon

Darin Jordan
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Well if the flat surface still doesnt solve the problem it won't be hard to bevel the inside edge since the blocks are WOF.

Jon

I think on this hull the sponsons are actually built-up, not WOF, but you are right... I could bevel the edges if necessary... We'll see this weekend! :thumbup1:

Here is how the blocks and inside sponson edges were on my WoodStuff 28... Is this the type of bevel you are referring too??

j.m.
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
was actually talking about the edge of the blocks, you said those were foam?

Darin Jordan
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
was actually talking about the edge of the blocks, you said those were foam?

I see... Yes... those are a composite foam core (like the stuff they use as the core for commercial airplane stow-bins, etc.)... Could modify fairly easily... I don't think I'll need to though.... New blocks look pretty much like those on that WoodStuff hull, which worked out fine.

Stealth Assassin
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
It's hooking? How Is the nose weight and are the bottom of the sponsons hooked or flat?

Darin Jordan
04-15-2010, 01:25 AM
It's hooking? How Is the nose weight and are the bottom of the sponsons hooked or flat?

It's not hooking... it, sometimes, barrel-rolls to the outside. I think I've fixed the issue and it should be better now...

Could also just be lousy driving!!

Darin Jordan
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Done... Here is the before and after... We'll find out how well this works out on Saturday...

Darin Jordan
04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
OK, the ridepad updates, as pictured, did NOT work well!!

I ran them down too close to the ride surface. Thank goodness I tested it before racing began on Saturday.

The fix was to cut them down and make a flatter ridepad that was approximately 3/16-1/4" below the sponsons. After cutting it down, I used a couple of trophy plates and a bunch of tape to make the ride surface and get me through the day.

Worked out GREAT! Handling was really good. Flipped wickedly in the final heat, but I think the tape was coming loose. Otherwise, I could fly through the turns without an issue.

I'll post some pics once I get them finished up properly again.

In the meantime, here are a couple of action shots that Jerry Dunlap shot!

Kris Flynn
04-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey Darin,

Good looking boat good to see something different!

Kris