PDA

View Full Version : ML Boatworks / Newton 158 / MHR 8200

worthing3104
09-16-2016, 04:30 PM
And so it begins, Build starts tonight on 1991 Winston Eagle. ML Boatworks frame work is very nice compared to dumas kits I've built, going to be a little extra thought building this boat than in the past as it's going to be more like a scratch build than a kit but am excited to get started and already looking forward to the completion (should take about 4 months). Built three hydros in the past but all were nitro so looking forward to building an FE. Have been active in this forum now for about two weeks and there's a ton of info on this site to get the visual. Motor will be a Neu 1527 1Y or 1.5Y w/8mm shaft, Swordfish Pro 240 or 300 ESC, thinking about two different battery setups (8s and 10s) as long as I can run both setups on this motor. Was thinking about a race setup since your limited to a cell and or voltage count and a "what" setup for speed, all running hardware will be Speedmaster and will be built for the "thrill" at first but think I'd like to race it after I shake the cobwebs off. Any suggestions would be great and accepted since this will be my first FE build. Looking forward to working on a project besides my house.

worthing3104
09-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Ok, so this is where we're at as of now. All framed up and have the bottom and sponsons sheeted but have a few questions.

Sponsons: Is everyone building up the riding pads (as they serve a purpose) or do some just leave them as you can see in the pics. I would assume that if I race it, it needs to be built exactly as the real one is to be able to register it. In one of the pics (Newton plans) there is what appeares to be an arrow mid way down the sponson. Is this as far as the pad would be built out.

Motor and drive train: Since the center section is offset in the hull everything (drive train) can just be centered in that section and placement of the motor (forward or aft) can be placed where it best suits the balance or is there a approximate measurement from the built up frame that makes up the rear sponson.

Turn fin: I will be using the Speedmaster Lg.turn fin that has no bend in it so what would be a good approximate angle for mounting and then it can be adjusted by the mount after the fact.

Strut: I somewhat remember that when I built my Miss Circus Circus hydro, it had some measurements (on the plans) for how far it drops below the belly but that it had a slight angle to it for a good starting point.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

worthing3104
09-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Sorry there's no Pics to see but having issues uploading them. Don't know if anyone else has this problem but when I select my pic and then hit the upload button the box that has the X in it which says delete turns to a red circle and won't upload

Navherc130
09-27-2016, 01:53 PM
I just upload my pics from my desktop via the Insert Image icon at top of reply line. Worked so far, unless your files are corrupt of too big.

worthing3104
09-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Tried that and (insert image) it wouldn't work, tried resizing it also. Never had a problem adding photos to a thread like this before. 146618. What do you know, just worked on my wifes laptop. Maybe somethings up with the desktop.