PDA

View Full Version : anybody running an etti 150 amp esc help needed

MAXAMUS
11-01-2008, 04:33 PM
After finding out the Etti 150a hasn't got a bec, and purchasing a power pack for the Rx i now have power to servo and movement. I have 1 small led red light on the esc and no beeps or noises at all, the prop rotates but only at very minor rpm and kind of vibrates, and i think is spinning anti clockwise, I have tried swapping over 2 of the wires from the esc to no avail and as a newb i cant seem to figure this one out so iam calling on all ETTI users to help me here i have the instruction book but its not helping

thanks in advance MAXAMS................

rockwerks
11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Did you program the esc? set it to your radio? which port do you have the battery pack plugged into?

MAXAMUS
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I am using the blackjack 26 electric stock Rx only 2 ports ch1=servo ch2=throttle and a small port for the Rx pack

an i don't know how to set the TX or Rx to the esc

rockwerks
11-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I am using the blackjack 26 electric stock Rx only 2 ports ch1=servo ch2=throttle and a small port for the Rx pack

an i don't know how to set the TX or Rx to the esc

Here is the programming and owners manual from online:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:UxkY096-Fk8J:www.astecmodels.co.uk/pdfs/ETTI%2520navy.pdf+etti+esc+navy+programming&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

MAXAMUS
11-01-2008, 05:56 PM
thats what i have but still got me stumped !!

highndry
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I have one, but havent set it up yet. RayR aka propnut has been using one. Maybe you can reach him

sundog
11-27-2009, 03:53 PM
After finding out the Etti 150a hasn't got a bec, and purchasing a power pack for the Rx i now have power to servo and movement. I have 1 small led red light on the esc and no beeps or noises at all, the prop rotates but only at very minor rpm and kind of vibrates, and i think is spinning anti clockwise, I have tried swapping over 2 of the wires from the esc to no avail and as a newb i cant seem to figure this one out so iam calling on all ETTI users to help me here i have the instruction book but its not helping

thanks in advance MAXAMS................

Maximus, what was the problem with your Etti150A esc? Mine is doing the same thing - it won't make the beeps anymore, so I can't program it! I have the 6 cell version with the bec (not the opti). The bec works and the servos work, but the motor just turns slooow (vibrates). Sdg

MAXAMUS
11-28-2009, 07:26 AM
i know exactly what you mean my Etti also does this sometimes the motor just jerks / vibrates i have to quickly move the throttle back and forth till it bites so to speak then other times its fine Ive tried reprogramming the Esc thought it might be throttle soft and hard start or pole count but its still the same but then other times its fine i never got to the bottom of it got me stumped:confused1:

Brod
11-28-2009, 07:42 AM
I had one that did the same,no beeps,but still worked,spluttered too,strange.
IMO dont think they like the 2 pole Feigoa motors.
Brod..

sundog
11-28-2009, 10:31 AM
i know exactly what you mean my Etti also does this sometimes the motor just jerks / vibrates i have to quickly move the throttle back and forth till it bites so to speak then other times its fine Ive tried reprogramming the Esc thought it might be throttle soft and hard start or pole count but its still the same but then other times its fine i never got to the bottom of it got me stumped:confused1:
Yes, I suspected it might have reverted to factory settings - could be wrong cell count or whatever. But I can't program it now, so it's shot. Steve says send it back to OSE and he'll forward it to Etti for repair - up to 6 weeks turnaround if all goes well.
I had suspected that the single cooling tube wouldn't do the job (the opto has 2 tubes) - the caps on the esc got hot even though I had the extra cap board attached. So I had installed aftermarket cooling on it before it went down (maybe it didn't like cool!).
I'm going to give the cheap Himodel and Mystery 200A esc's a try. I could have bought three of them for the money. Worth a try anyways, since it's all China made anymore. Arghh

Steven Vaccaro
11-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I asked Dee to chime in on this issue.

I'm going to give the cheap Himodel and Mystery 200A esc's a try. I could have bought three of them for the money. Worth a try anyways, since it's all China made anymore. Arghh

There is a big difference. The Etti comes with a well backed warranty. Burn up the himodel and you have yourself a $50 smelly paper weight.

sundog
11-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I asked Dee to chime in on this issue.

There is a big difference. The Etti comes with a well backed warranty. Burn up the himodel and you have yourself a $50 smelly paper weight.

I also have a 180A Seaking that's been shipped back to China for repair about 10 weeks now. They say it should be ready soon. :cool:

I'm not so concerned about downtime and warranty, I'm more concerned with uptime and keeping the boat going. And I suspect I'll get more runtime/uptime with three Himodels. I don't race (per se) so don't care to invest several hundred dollars in an esc. I mainly just use slow and wide open most of the time anyways - I could (almost) be happy with a 2 speed mechanical control!
Ok, let me down off this soapbox. I've done my complaining and am already feeling a little better. :nopity: Thx guys, Sdg.

Dee
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Dear all.

Make sure all connectors were soldered properly without problem, otherwise the motor will not get the same current through the 3 motor wires from the ESC at the same time and then the motor will have a kind of vibrate happened and could not spin in full speed!

The correct connecting method for 150A (Opto) ESC should be the following:

1. Switch on the TX (Transmitter);

2. Connect the receiver battery pack (which has ON/OFF Switch) with the receiver and make sure the power is in “OFF” position;
(If the Receiver battery pack does not have ON/OFF switch, the receiver battery pack must be connected with the RX at the last step after connecting lipo battery pack with the ESC)

3. Connect lipo battery pack with the ESC;

4. Finally, switch “ON” the power of receiver battery pack for working the CPU of the ESC.(then you will notice the red led of the ESC is “ON”)

Then you should hear two beeps sound for confirmation your ESC is getting ready!

Regarding the programming the Opto ESC, please following the steps listed below:

1. Switch on the TX (Transmitter) with moving the throttle to the full speed posistion and hold it;
2. Connect the receiver battery pack (which has ON/OFF Switch) with the receiver(RX) and make sure the power is in “OFF” position;
(If the Receiver battery pack does not have ON/OFF switch, the receiver battery pack must be connected with the RX at the last step after connecting lipo battery pack with the ESC)
3 Connect lipo battery pack with the ESC;
4 Finally, switch “ON” the power of receiver battery pack for working the CPU of the ESC.(then you will notice the red led of the ESC is “ON”)

Then you should enter the mode for programming!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Dee ^_^

BakedMopar
11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Yes, I suspected it might have reverted to factory settings - could be wrong cell count or whatever. But I can't program it now, so it's shot. Steve says send it back to OSE and he'll forward it to Etti for repair - up to 6 weeks turnaround if all goes well.
I had suspected that the single cooling tube wouldn't do the job (the opto has 2 tubes) - the caps on the esc got hot even though I had the extra cap board attached. So I had installed aftermarket cooling on it before it went down (maybe it didn't like cool!).

My Mystery stopped working today :cursing: Before I left the house I tried it threw it in the truck, got to the pond and DEAD. It had two 3 minute runs on it from yesterday. Not sure. At least they held up to it's name.

sundog
11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Regarding the programming the Opto ESC, please following the steps listed below:

Best regards,
Dee ^_^

Dee, that is all well and fine, but this thread is about Etti 150A esc's that make no sounds now, so they can't be programmed.

Baked Mopar: sounds like you should check your connections like Dee was referring to. Even if you got a bad one and it's shot, you'd still have enough money left over to buy a couple more of 'em (from the price of an Etti). Consider that they (Etti, Himodel, Mystery, etc.) are all made in China now by Chinese labor with Chinese parts.

I'm not sure the Etti is made any better/robust. It's smaller. And I don't understand the logic of changing to a single cooling tube (in the non-opto) for the purpose of "saving space". Maybe I got a bad one - I'll send it back and we'll see what happens. I feel like I paid for one of those 'extended warranty' plans as it is. Sdg

Dee: no offense intended!

BakedMopar
11-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Yes it is cheap. I got this one with my boat. I don't know the history on it. I tried changing out the connections but it's shot. Even without the BEC on when you plug the battery in the motor just hold a beep and the battery and wires become hot instantly. It's probably shorted out somehow. I will be trying the mysterys again someday. For now I will be trying the castle ice. It's one that I have been wanting to try for some time.

Sorry not to get the thread thrown off track.