10-31-2008, 12:04 AM
I think the AquaCraft UL-1 looks better than Miss Elam.JMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGLMmn89qA

Eyekandyboats
10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
aquacraft all the way.

Steven Vaccaro
10-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Looks like its dragging its butt too much.

Eodman
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Well for me the UL1 looks ripped nice sharp clean edges compared to the Miss Elam round and more rotund!

Sort of like .... well if you saw me 30 years ago in my Dress Blues & today in the same uniform ..... well you get the picture!!!! :tongue_smilie:

calcagno45
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
LOL not the same figure after 30 yrs I'm guessing...

But I definitely see what you are saying. The UL-1 is definitely sharper and just looks faster, standing still....

AndyKunz
10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
The round edges are what provide stability at high speed. The full-size boats have rounded edges to prevent sharp breaks as the boat's attitude changes relative to the wind. I used the same aerodynamics concept when I designed the UL-1 (the ORIGINAL UL-1 -- see it at BBY Racing (http://www.bbyracing.com)), that was so inspirational when creating the LSH class) to provide stability. It was designed to handle rough water better than the other boats of the time, and proved its worth by winning several Nats championships.

Andy

Eodman
10-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Andy - even when you look at your boat its no where near as round as Miss Elam!

AndyKunz
10-31-2008, 04:06 PM
That's right, but it's just as scale. You need to see the three hulls together to understand what I'm talking about.

Round is good for stability on an oval, especially when you're duking it out deck-to-deck.

Andy

teach
10-31-2008, 04:36 PM
I wanted the proboat version....till I saw that video....bummer.

JimClark
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
What is such a bummer?

detox
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
I like the Proboat, but the AM radio is a thing of the past.

Spot Me 2
10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks like its dragging its butt too much.

I was going to ask why my stock FASTech looks faster. I am not impressed!!

The aquacraft looks good though!

Doby
10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
What is such a bummer?

I agree , other than the AM radio it looks to have a good turn of speed.

Or is everyone comparing it to the AQ SAW video?:confused2:

Eodman
10-31-2008, 05:32 PM
You know Doby you're probably right in the speed comparison .... but the UL1 just looks fast!

Tony
10-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I would like to see the performance of Miss Elam, and AquaCraft UL-1 in heads up, stock set up in the same video. Till then, the jury is still out on these boats. However,
2.4 gig verses AM radio is hard to beat.

teach
10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
I agree , other than the AM radio it looks to have a good turn of speed.

Or is everyone comparing it to the AQ SAW video?:confused2:

That wouldn't be fair IMHO. I know videos can be deceiving but it looks slow. Also doesn't seem to handle to well. Just seems to bounce alot.

The 2.4 radio is almost impossible to pass up.

JimClark
10-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy either one for the radio. I agree the 2.4 is a nice plus but then you have to ask yourself they must be cutting costs in other areas. I would use my own radio anyway with either of them

Jim

That wouldn't be fair IMHO. I know videos can be deceiving but it looks slow. Also doesn't seem to handle to well. Just seems to bounce alot.

teach
10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Personally I wouldn't buy either one for the radio. I agree the 2.4 is a nice plus but then you have to ask yourself they must be cutting costs in other areas. I would use my own radio anyway with either of them

Jim

Hmmmmm, good point.

Doby
10-31-2008, 06:27 PM

You might notice that there are some small swells that are contributing to the bouncing.

As for how it handles,,,,its only as good as the person driving it and how its set up.

Raydee
10-31-2008, 07:11 PM
There is a Youtube vid somewhere floating around of the Superior right out of the box that you can compare the vid to. There is no doubt in my mind that right out of the box the Superior will be fast but it will be nice to see which hull handles race water better. The Elam is a very nice looking boat though.

EDIT
Here is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGLMmn89qA

Diegoboy
10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
My vote goes to the Pro Boat Elam. Faster, Slower, Sharper, Rounder, Whatever... I think the Elam is a better looking boat.

detox
10-31-2008, 09:08 PM
This hull can be purchased seperately, but this hull will not be easy to tape shut. It requires a seperate sealed radio/esc box.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB2901T

JimClark
10-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Man you guy's need to see how much water gets into ERCU and Classic Thunder 1/10th scale boats. There are plenty of ways of keeping the the gear dry. No tape is used and there are huge openings near and around the scale motor.

Jim

This hull can be purchased seperately, but this hull will not be easy to tape shut. It requires a seperate sealed radio/esc box.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB2901T

AndyKunz
10-31-2008, 10:01 PM
YEah, Jim, one of these days you're going to have to give us ALL a lesson!

Andy

Raydee
10-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Man you guy's need to see how much water gets into ERCU and Classic Thunder 1/10th scale boats. There are plenty of ways of keeping the the gear dry. No tape is used and there are huge openings near and around the scale motor.

Jim

Just one of the reasons I will NEVER run one ;)

JimClark
10-31-2008, 10:19 PM
your loss then Ray:bounce::w00t::buttrock:

Just one of the reasons I will NEVER run one ;)

highndry
10-31-2008, 11:10 PM
The conjecture, opinions , critique, argument are quite entertaining. particularly considering they are all based on a couple of self-promoting videos, 'eyewitness reports' and pictures on a box....gotta love the spirit of this hobby. By March of next year the proof will be in the proverbial pudding.

Brushless55
11-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Oh wow! I was going to order the UL-1 but now.... I don't know?:rofl:

JimClark
11-01-2008, 01:15 AM
I am sure they will both be good. i would be happy with either one.
just wish they sold them without a radio
jim

video200
11-01-2008, 04:30 AM
My vote goes to the Pro Boat Elam. Faster, Slower, Sharper, Rounder, Whatever... I think the Elam is a better looking boat.

:iagree: might get one during spring time. right now a ice breaker is more apropiate:crying:

Steven Vaccaro
11-01-2008, 08:05 AM
From the first video's it looks as if the UL1 is faster, but in my eyes the Elam is a much better scale looking boat. There is more than speed in rc boating. Remember not every rc boater has a club to race these with in the country. Some of the most fun I have is playing with my son and his pt109. It does about 10mph max. :thumbup1:

detox
11-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Currently on Aquacrafts web sight they are having a survey of what would be a good scale boat to manufacture. Though it would not be scale, I told them to build a cool looking Rigger.

Brushless55
11-01-2008, 11:03 AM
From the first video's it looks as if the UL1 is faster, but in my eyes the Elam is a much better scale looking boat. There is more than speed in rc boating. Remember not every rc boater has a club to race these with in the country. Some of the most fun I have is playing with my son and his pt109. It does about 10mph max. :thumbup1:

Good pointe, it looks great! And with what I've seen of the BJ26 on 5s and 6s. The Miss Elam should be fast as well.. :thumbup1:

Rob13
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
New Elam is awesome. Very stable at high speed and stays on plane in the corners. Got mine just before Christmas and am very impressed. Down sides are a few and include need for added flotation to magnetic cover and battery tray designed specifically for 7.2 volt stick pack. 20 volt speed control maximum might affect some of the Lipo guys. A lot better looking than the UL-1.

Jeff Wohlt
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
All around a heavier boat for the Elam. Andy knows his stuff on hydro dynamics. I do not think the AQ will handle chop near as well with the sponson shape. I am also concerned how the hull will hold up on the AQ after some battling...turn fins may be an issue already.

Also, realize the AQ is lighter and runs a 2030 KV motor compared to 1500 KV in the PC vesion. Lighten the Elam up and run the same motor. The AQ is made for top end by design of the front sponsons...battling it out in a corner of rough water will be the real issue and which comes out in front.

I still have some video of D Twaits jr running the UL1 years ago with a wire drive and Aveox and it is still faster than anything I have seen go thru a corner. I will try and load it up on this site.

Forget the radio issue...they will be available before long anyway.

Steven Vaccaro
01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
All around a heavier boat for the Elam. Andy knows his stuff on hydro dynamics. I do not think the AQ will handle chop near as well with the sponson shape. I am also concerned how the hull will hold up on the AQ after some battling...turn fins may be an issue already.

Also, realize the AQ is lighter and runs a 2030 KV motor compared to 1500 KV in the PC vesion. Lighten the Elam up and run the same motor. The AQ is made for top end by design of the front sponsons...battling it out in a corner of rough water will be the real issue and which comes out in front.

I still have some video of D Twaits jr running the UL1 years ago with a wire drive and Aveox and it is still faster than anything I have seen go thru a corner. I will try and load it up on this site.

Forget the radio issue...they will be available before long anyway.

Actually the Elam is lighter by about 6 ounces or so.

Jeff Wohlt
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow... 6 oz is a good decrease in weight. Thanks for clearing that up...even better. I thought it ran a radio box and all that. Must be a nice FG job.

Is that hull only or just all but no cells?

Ub Hauled
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Hmmm...:popcorn2:

Steven Vaccaro
01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow... 6 oz is a good decrease in weight. Thanks for clearing that up...even better. I thought it ran a radio box and all that. Must be a nice FG job.

Is that hull only or just all but no cells?

That was out of the box weight minus cells. As Jay Turner has said on many occasions, the weight doesn't really matter with these. I just wanted to clear the air after reading the opposite on another forum.

Jeff Wohlt
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, a little weight is not an issue anymore...I still like lighter if possible. I can always add to it if needed but it usually allows me to push a little bigger prop.

So who has an Elam that would drop a new AQ 6 pole in it to test?

Ub Hauled
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I am considering exactly that Jeff, funny you mentioned...
:)

AndyKunz
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Man, if I add any more weight I'm gonna look like Santa Claus. The holidays are tough!

Oh, you mean BOAT weight.

Never mind :)

Andy

AndyKunz
01-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Is this (http://www.montanadesign.com/boats/videos/NatsPSport2.mpg) the 20meg video you meant, Jeff? It's from the 2000 Nats in NJ. The yellow boat that the camera follows is my UL1ABU shown in the picture below from the 1999 Nats, painted up as UL-10 Earls (the real boat ran under Earl's sponsorship in 1999). It was powered by an Aveox spinning an M447.

The blue boat chasing it (it cuts a buoy and spins out) is Larry Larson's Bandit hull, I believe it was known as the Larsony when it was being manufactured. I think Larry used the same motor but I'm not sure about the prop. Dick or Larry would know more about that boat than I remember.

It looks fast, but it was 1/2 mile race in about 1:20 according to the video.

Andy

http://www.rc-hydros.com/images/Andy1999Nats.jpg

Jeff Wohlt
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
yep...great video with some serious driving. Those were probably 2000 or 2400 cells. Can you imagine how they would run now with the motors and the cells we have?

I still have one you sent me in ABS put together by your kids. I may decide to put it together and finish it but it needs cutting apart to put bracing in it.

Darin Jordan
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
The blue boat chasing it (it cuts a buoy and spins out) is Larry Larson's Bandit hull, I believe it was known as the Larsony when it was being manufactured.

Andy... Is THIS the blue boat from the video???

AndyKunz
01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
It sure looks like it. Ask Dick or Larry - they'll know.

As I recall Larry's boat was wood (built from the Dave Frank plans).

That was AGES ago, Darin!

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
First time ever that I saw the sponson design like that was from Doug Forrester...do you think he got the the idea from another source...like Larry? Seems Larry's version came out later.

Wish I had my Forrester hull again because it would be a good comparison. Wood kits make great molds.

Doby
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Way off topic folks:blah::doh::blah:

AndyKunz
01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
It was successful in nitro for several years before Dave Frank published it, and even then, he was still using an improved version vs. what was published on the RCBM plans. There's more to sponson design than the very front end.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
The topic is hydro Elam and Brushless...I think we are close...talking hydros in a hydro post. Sponson design and comparing Elam to the UL.

I have seen threads go much farther off topic than this. BUT I hear ya. You might want to either contribute unless you like spending your time being a thread troll. :)

So the elam is a better looking boat, lighter and can probably corner better than the UL and handle rougher water conditions during racing -- based on sponson design...that is what I am taking away from this thread.

Doby
01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I have seen threads go much farther off topic than this. BUT I hear ya. You might want to either contribute unless you like spending your time being a thread troll. :)

Thread troll,,,thats original. As you are a relative newbie to this site, I'll let that slide.

As for contributing,,,,,,,, most of what is posted on this boat is still speculation as I don't think that too many members here have one. Lets hear from someone with actual experience with this boat when more people get there hands on them.

AndyKunz
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
He's been around us a while - longer than this site has existed.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I put the smile there for a reason...I thought it was funny.

I am always wanting to hear from people that are actually running what we talk about. 2nd hand is nothing.

Oh and anytime Andy he has anything to say about hydros and design it is worth listening to. Most here never owned the original UL or even ran one. It shaped what we have today and the LSH class would have never been off the ground without Andy or his hull.

Andy was the only reason I ever got in to really FE boats. Can you imagine years ago getting a UL with a 290/30/4 plett in it in the mail and note saying...go run my boat and see what you think...heck...nothing could touch it back then running big brushed pletts and 12 cells....1700 and 2000 mah cells at that. I was hooked.

Whoops...off topic again...cheers, Andy :beerchug:

Rob13
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a had a chance to run my Miss Elam Brushless several times now. This boat corners extremely well and maintains plane in any cornering situation that I have put it in with the exception of an all out hard right. Top end speed is just under the top end of a Supervee brushless running 14.4 volt. I had the opportunity to run with two supervees both would slightly out run my Elam (which is still bare bone stock) in the straight aways but in the corners I would rapidly make up ground or make a pass. We were running a small pond that turns choppy very quickly with a few boats on it and the Elam handled the chop with no problem at all.
I think this boat will turn a lot of heads and draw some serious attention when it hits the race circuits and starts receiving some motor mods.
Great boat with a lot of potential, I can't wait for warmer weather. It got awful cold out the other day and I fear ice will soon set in on some of the small ponds in my area and stop my fun for the rest of the winter.

macz
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Can you fit a 7 cell hump in the Elam?

Steven Vaccaro
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure, here is a inside picture. I think it will be very, very tight.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8959&d=1229808451

macz
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice boats!!! how does the hatch stay shut on the UL-1...I'm a noob to the boating world. When I get the boat I have a few 7 cell packs Ill see if they'll fit. How does the Elam handle have you flipped it at all? Can it handle the chop ok?

Ub Hauled
01-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Macz,
the hatch has to be taped down, the nose (cockpit) has magnets but you still wanna tape it down.

Brushless55
01-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Nice, you have both boats..
What would you say are the pros and cons of each boat?

Rob13
01-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Macz,

Sorry for the late reply to your question. A seven cell hump pack will not fit in the Elam. The boat was specifically designed for a six cell stick pack. A seven cell stick pack can be somewhat wedged into the boat but I would not count on it staying in one place inside under running conditions. I think you would be stuck with 6 cell nimh or go lipo. The Elam handles the chop very well, I have not had an incident yet where I thought I was going to be upside down. I have pushed this boat and am still searching for a limit that concerns me with loosing control.

Someone else asked me about the construction of this boat. I feel that this bought is constructed very well and is very light for its size and fiberglass construction. My Elam had no blemishes or inconsistencys in construction that I have found since purchasing. In addition I was also looking originally for a boat that could run well on my existing nimh batteries and charger. I would advise making sure that any batteries that you do run are of very high quality and have been maintained properly.

Happy boating,

Rob

Eric Law
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Rob sent you a private message about this boat did you read it Thank You Eric.:tiphat:

macz
01-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Ok well I bought an Elam just not brushless...I got a new one off ebay for $170 couldnt beat the price...Its a nitro Elam but just to get started with the brushles it wouldve been like $500..So I'd say for $170 I couldnt pass it up. The guy had a collection of hydos..I guess the economy is taking a toll....

Rob13
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Eric,

Got your message.

I am very happy with my Elam, it is well built and had no blemishes or problems out of the box. I am running a matched set of Reedy 3600 nimh batteries in my Elam. I didn't want to go overboard with lipo right away, like you said too much $$$. The only down fall of the nimh is that the boat was built for 6 cell stick packs.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Treydog
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Many have speculated as to which boat is faster - The UL-1 or the Miss Elam Brushless. Well I got both boats at the same time and the UL-1 totally kicks the crap out of the Elam. I really hoped they would be closer in speed so i could have more fun with racing them against each other but you really have to change out the motor IMO to be anywheres close or at least bump up the voltage (and risk blowing the ESC). The Elam is more stable but that's because its so much slower. I've ran these both at the same time against each other on the same pond. The UL-1 has a problem turning into a sub when trying to get on plane but when it does - its gone! So for any of you who are planning on changing out the motor or ESC in the Elam, i'm really interested in your recommendations. I would love to have a much tighter race between these two!

Darin Jordan
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Many have speculated as to which boat is faster - The UL-1 or the Miss Elam Brushless. Well I got both boats at the same time and the UL-1 totally kicks the crap out of the Elam. I really hoped they would be closer in speed so i could have more fun with racing them against each other but you really have to change out the motor IMO to be anywheres close or at least bump up the voltage (and risk blowing the ESC). The Elam is more stable but that's because its so much slower. I've ran these both at the same time against each other on the same pond. The UL-1 has a problem turning into a sub when trying to get on plane but when it does - its gone! So for any of you who are planning on changing out the motor or ESC in the Elam, i'm really interested in your recommendations. I would love to have a much tighter race between these two!

Just curious... what props, batteries, etc., were you using on these two boats?

The UL-1, with 2030KV motor, and the Elam, with it's 1500KV motor, are going to require much different props to make each work...

I suspect the Elam likely needs some sponson work as well, but I'll have to get one on my workbench to know this for sure...

Would sure like to see them come out with an Oberto in this style of boat! ;)

Steven Vaccaro
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

It doesn't start out as an even fight. In order to equal the boats with minimal investment a larger prop can be used on the Elam.

Treydog
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey Darin, I was just reading your UL-1 race prep thread. Great stuff! Trying to remember all the specs since I am now at work but I know I ran these both at the same time over Christmas holidays with both factory props on. I used a pair of 2s 3200mAh lipos in the UL-1 and a pair of Duratrax 6 cell 4200 niMH in the Elam. I had been reading on the BJ26 forums (Elam has the same engine) on how the guys upped the battery types and voltage to some strong 6 cell lipos to really get some power but you have to be really careful about over amping the ESC. That would be nice to do since this motor is still basically brand spanking new. Plus I could use the lipos in the UL-1 if I wanted to.

Treydog
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Steven, that may be true but I figured you'd need to get the Proboat card for the ESC and switch from factory niMH settings over to lipos. No way just a prop switch could make that much difference. Wouldn't you agree? I mean you have to have the power to turn a bigger prop and this isn't that close of a race between the two.

Darin Jordan
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
No way just a prop switch could make that much difference. Wouldn't you agree?

NOT even close to true... a prop change can make ALL the difference... It needs to match the power that's there...

These motors are both 6-pole, and about the same mass... but their KV is different, so they deliver their power in different ways... When you are spinning faster, you have to use a smaller prop or you'll over-amp... With the slower turning motor, you make up for the rotational speed by adding prop... pitch and diameter... Somewhere in the curve, the speeds can balance out... You just have to hope that the slower turning motor matches the speed before it exceeds it's amp rating...

The Elam will need a considerably larger prop to keep pace...

Ub Hauled
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Trey, I beg to differ. I think that in the end the UL will prevail in your case for a couple of reasons.
1- You are using lipos on the UL-1 only - to make it more even you should at least have the same setup as far as power goes.
2- I have seen the SV motor/esc go into the high 40's, it is a lower Kv motor as well as the Elam is, there is enough power on the Elam motor to go pretty fast. I'd even adventure to say that it would be a close race between the two.

Try using the lipos on the Elam with a 445 (or even a 545) prop, sharp and balanced, that's what I used on my Viper II w/ the SV system to go in the high 40's on 4s w/o any high temps.

Jeff Wohlt
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Flipping the (switch) on the ESC to run lipos is not needed. Just don't run them down. It is only a voltage cutoff. Make a few passes and bring it in.

Some hull designs get faster as the water is chopped up. They then have the advantage of running in rough water.

No doubt the UL1 should be faster out of the box. It was built that way. Grim did a great job setting it up and sending the specs over. Some may not be perfect from the box but most are very close.

There is no compariosn but glad to hear results.

Treydog
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Ub, I planned on switching to the lipos that i am presently running in the UL-1. The Elam ESC is rated at 45 amps so do you think I'd be OK (for a pair of 2s 3200mah) and the same stock motor turning a Octura M445 (sharpened and balanced)?

Jeff, Are you telling me that I don't need to get the Proboat 20$ card to reset the ESC to run lipos in the Elam? I've read otherwise in the manual.

Darin Jordan
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Jeff, Are you telling me that I don't need to get the Proboat 20$ card to reset the ESC to run lipos in the Elam? I've read otherwise in the manual.

You need the programming card to set the cutoff voltage, but if you don't run the packs too low, it won't kick in anyhow...

If you are sport boating and just want to run and run and run... then program the cutoff voltage or you'll damage your cells and maybe more...

Ub Hauled
02-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Ub, I planned on switching to the lipos that i am presently running in the UL-1. The Elam ESC is rated at 45 amps so do you think I'd be OK (for a pair of 2s 3200mah) and the same stock motor turning a Octura M445 (sharpened and balanced)?

If you are running 20c cells then you should be ok... would be better if it was bigger packs and/or higher c rate.
You DO NEED THE CARD to change the settings...

Treydog
02-05-2009, 07:13 PM
OK gents, I just ordered a pair of Pro-Match 5200mAh lipos 7.4v 35c for the Miss Elam. Still need to get the programming card but with these figures for lipos, what now would you think to be the best prop to bolt on there? M445 still? The ESC and the motor will stay stock but I think I will now have "room to grow" in the future.

For those who don't know this, the 1/12 Brushless Miss Elam has the same ESC and Motor as found in the BJ26. Would really appreciate your expertise in determining this. Thanks all.

Jeff Wohlt
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
And the same motor is in the Fastech. It is a great motor. It is just built better all around. Of course, you pay for it as well.

Ub Hauled
02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd say it's safe to use the M445, I used one with the Blue AQ sys and it went great,
granted that my prop was modded... I'd say that those 35c cells will rock the hull man...
I noticed a significant increase in power when compared even to the 30c cells.
I said everything should be safe but please, use the "one minute run and bring to shore" approach,
just to be safe.

Keep us posted please.

AndyKunz
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I would probably drop down a prop size, if you moving from 12 NiMH to 4S. Even moving from a lower 4S pack will make a voltage difference.

This will give you a little more safety so you don't over-heat the ESC. The higher voltage and smaller prop dia will allow it to wind up the motor better.

It's always safer to start small and work your way up.

Andy

Treydog
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Well I finally got those 5200mAh lipos in as well as the Octura M445 prop. I oredered the two blade prop from here and sharpened and balanced it. One issue for the Miss Elam is it is very difficult to find a pair of lipos in this range that will fit into it. The promatch ones did not. I ended up cutting and sanded the (2) magnetic tabs off on the front. It has a pin just above the cockpit canopy which keeps the hatch closed up front inway. I always tape my hatch down anyways so no real issue there. ANYWAYS, I took her out to the lake yesterday and dude, she's a real competitor for the UL-1 now! Had a slight chop on the pond so yes I did get the hop twice on my run but I never lost control of her. I could only get on it full throttle after I lost some lipo juice or I would have lost her for sure. Checked the batteries and ESC twice during the run and ESC on felt very slightly warm. She is fast as hell now and I'm pretty sure she can outrun my UL-1 but yes, I spent enough money as I could if I had just bought another UL-1. That's just part of this hobby I suppose. That's ok cause I am hooked for sure.

Treydog
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh, one thing to point out about the Miss Elam, I had a dickens of a time reinserting the flex shaft after regreasing. In fact it started to unwind tring to reinsert it cause you have to reinsert it into the stuffing box around the prop shaft strut (not like the UL-1 where its all one removable assembly). Ended up just ordering 2 more flex shaft as I see this as a potential pain in the a** in the future!