PDA

View Full Version : Raider ESC

T.S.Davis
07-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I know Steve sells the 150amp version. Is there a higher amp version available that Steve hasn't picked up yet?

Going to need a new source for ESC besides Hobbywing.

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Not yet. I've been trying to convince the company to make a higher amp version. They really are very nice little escs. I like how low profile they are. Maybe I should see if Steve will persuade them into making a higher amp version. 200-220 or 250 amp version would sell like hot cakes. What about a sf220? Don't trust it? I think they are o.k. Escs but I don't care much for the lack of throttle response compared to a sk180. You always have the new version xl2 if you water cool it or find a ice 240 case you can swap the board into. I have an xl2 in my 102mph 4s Rivercat and its been handling 300+ amps for a few months now. I know it's not a circle boat but I feel like this esc is fairly tough. I think the main reason it's lasted this long is I epoxy coated the board. We all know castle escs even get a whiff of water and they stop working...lol. Check out this log.

Btw if you don't mind me asking....what is it your running that needs more than the 150 raider but a sk180 will hold up (I'm assuming). The raider 150 is pretty tough from what ive experienced. I'd say it's very close to a sk180. The driving manners are the same too which is a plus

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/6AE06DB4-AC09-4661-AA83-6E46EE39AB3C.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/6AE06DB4-AC09-4661-AA83-6E46EE39AB3C.jpg.html)

T.S.Davis
07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
My limited boats get 120's but I run the 180 in P mono, P sport, P hydro, Q sport and Q mono. At the moment that is. The 180 is so under rated. Ever notice the burst on those? The Hobbywing is a great product but I can't support them anymore.

I have a SF300 Lite. That think kicks total a$$. Programming was easy. Calibration worked flawlessly. The 220Plus low voltage burned up on the bench. Never made it to the water. The 120 cost me approximately 10 mph in my limited boats.

I have a bushel of broken Castles. Hydra ICE240, Hydra ICE200HV, a converted Phoenix Ice lite. There are even some of the old school Hydra120, Hydra 240LV, Hydra240HV in the pile. ...........think I need to clean my shop up. Wonder if there are any Barracuda in the pile. hahaha I should put all the carcasses (carci?) in one pile and snap a pic.

The Aliens are finicky at a minimum and plane ole' don't fire in some cases.

Hobywing wont be getting any more of my money. It may behoove a company like the one that makes the Raider to take the next step.

Darin Jordan
07-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Terry,

Perhaps another option... thing is physically quite a bit bigger than the 120A that comes in the Voracity, etc., and I'm pretty certain that it's "under-rated" as well. The one caveat is that it IS programmatically limited to 8S...

I'm using one in my Voracity, in case I want to do a motor "upgrade"... :spy:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/DYNM3880

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Terry,

Perhaps another option... thing is physically quite a bit bigger than the 120A that comes in the Voracity, etc., and I'm pretty certain that it's "under-rated" as well. The one caveat is that it IS programmatically limited to 8S...

I'm using one in my Voracity, in case I want to do a motor "upgrade"... :spy:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/DYNM3880

Darin....have you compared that unit to an older v1 or v2 sk180? It's strikingly the same except encased in potting compound and a nice case....plus it has a nicer cooling block and the motor wires plug directly onto it which I love.

T.S.Davis
07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Is that what comes in the 48?

Still a Hobbywing though.

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Yes and yes.

I must ask. What's the problem with hobbywing?

Darin Jordan
07-07-2016, 05:16 PM

Castle is a dead-solid option... Expensive, but solid.

Depending on how "dead" some of those you have there are, you might be able to combine some of the parts as well...

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 06:32 PM
I wish that castle would revisit the boat controller market. If they would just listen to us boaters then they could have a serious winner in the esc market. Take an xl2, make a better design cooling case for it than the ice 240, epoxy coat it and don't put little cheesy 35v caps on something that's rated at 8s. That's just cutting it too close. They already had a good base for it but never forged ahead. Also the warranty would need to be revised. It was way too lax. I like a warranty but not when the company straight up looses out because of people that purposely would push them past their limits.

Fluid
07-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Castle's issue was economy of scale. The Hydra ICE controllers were identical to the aircraft controllers with different firmware and upper case half. Why design a marine-only controller just to sell a few hundred (maybe) a year when they can sell many thousands of the aircraft controllers? And they got one marine controller back for warranty for every hundred-plus air controllers they got back for warranty work....

The Chinese can afford to make marine-specific controllers because their labor, parts and overhead costs are an order of magnitude lower than Castles'. And many don't seem to listen very well to end users either. Put pretty anodizing on the controller and sell it at HobbyKing, it will move like hot cakes.

I have a bunch of Castle ICE air controllers I got real cheap from Castle on close out. Easy to mod for marine use. The current EDGE controllers work great too. An option if you aren't scared of a soldering iron.

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Castle's issue was economy of scale. The Hydra ICE controllers were identical to the aircraft controllers with different firmware and upper case half. Why design a marine-only controller just to sell a few hundred (maybe) a year when they can sell many thousands of the aircraft controllers? And they got one marine controller back for warranty for every hundred-plus air controllers they got back for warranty work....

The Chinese can afford to make marine-specific controllers because their labor, parts and overhead costs are an order of magnitude lower than Castles'. And many don't seem to listen very well to end users either. Put pretty anodizing on the controller and sell it at HobbyKing, it will move like hot cakes.

I have a bunch of Castle ICE air controllers I got real cheap from Castle on close out. Easy to mod for marine use. The current EDGE controllers work great too. An option if you aren't scared of a soldering iron.

Didn't notice till you said something but the edge 160 looks just like an ice 240 and mamba xl2. Hmm

ray schrauwen
07-07-2016, 09:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272210403569?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone want to Guinea pig one if these? Lol... looks like the dogs breakfast.. only up to 6s... :tongue:

kfxguy
07-07-2016, 09:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272210403569?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone want to Guinea pig one if these? Lol... looks like the dogs breakfast.. only up to 6s... :tongue:

That's my "favourite" esc!

RayR
07-08-2016, 06:04 AM
I know Steve sells the 150amp version. Is there a higher amp version available that Steve hasn't picked up yet?

Going to need a new source for ESC besides Hobbywing.

the raider is a hobby wing esc. Take a look at the manual, same as all the hobby wing manuals

T.S.Davis
07-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Crap.

Gonna take some time but I'm thinking MGM.

Mxkid261
07-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Easy to mod for marine use. The current EDGE controllers work great too. An option if you aren't scared of a soldering iron.

Wow those are some nice controllers. If one were to convert one of these for marine use would anything in the software need changing since its an air ESC?

kfxguy
07-08-2016, 10:02 AM
the raider is a hobby wing esc. Take a look at the manual, same as all the hobby wing manuals

I have a few of them and the manual doesn't look the same from what I remember. It quite possibly be an older sk180. I'll contact a friend who had one burn up and see if he can tear it apart. It wasn't the escs fault it fault either. The motor was shorted.

kfxguy
07-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow those are some nice controllers. If one were to convert one of these for marine use would anything in the software need changing since its an air ESC?

I think you would need a pistix but Jay can tell you for sure.

kfxguy
07-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Crap.

Gonna take some time but I'm thinking MGM.

Well if you decide you want to do that let me know. I have two 25035 x2 escs. I might be willing to part with one. One of them is brand new. I have extra cable, software and pigtail to go with it if needed. The new on is a double wire version (their way of adding more wire for power instead of just putting 8ga) and the used one has 8mm bullets for power soldered directly to the the pcb connections and has 10ga motor wires. Just an option for you if you wanted to save some coin. I would possibly swap one for a sf300 also.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I think you would need a pistix but Jay can tell you for sure.

Not if you run a Spektrum you don't....

kfxguy
07-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Not if you run a Spektrum you don't....

Can you tell me how to get around it? Of course I run spektrum, I have an air controller in a little 10" cat I got from Jessej and I'd like to not have to use a pistix.....thx!

Darin Jordan
07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Can you tell me how to get around it? Of course I run spektrum, I have an air controller in a little 10" cat I got from Jessej and I'd like to not have to use a pistix.....thx!

Sure... Let me get home tonight and I'll get you the exact settings, so that I'm not giving any mis-information here. It's a simple matter of setting some trim and endpoint settings correctly.

Mxkid261
07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
So nothing needs to be changed in the software to run one of the castle controllers in a boat?

kfxguy
07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Sure... Let me get home tonight and I'll get you the exact settings, so that I'm not giving any mis-information here. It's a simple matter of setting some trim and endpoint settings correctly.

Awesome Darin. Thx! Hopefully terry is ok with this in his thread. Very useful info.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
So nothing needs to be changed in the software to run one of the castle controllers in a boat?

No... but you have to setup the controller correctly. FIXED Endpoints being the main setting. (in other words, don't let the controller "auto-detect" the throttle positions.

Again, this is when using it with a Spektrum radio. I'm not sure how others work.

T.S.Davis
07-08-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't mind clutter at all guys.

The MGM's are super pricey but they're also a work of art. Remind me of the Schulze from back in the day. I likely will go that route but I'll start from scratch to get the 5 year warranty. Apples and cinder blocks comparing them to a Hobbywing. You're paying accordingly for added features and warranty. Hey, maybe an increase in volume would help with their pricing. I'll put on my cheer leader uni for them (ew gross). Might not be that simple. As Jay mentioned, we're a pretty tiny niche part of the ESC world.

Fluid
07-08-2016, 11:34 AM
No... but you have to setup the controller correctly. FIXED Endpoints being the main setting....To add to Darin's comments, the throttle trim position is also very important in getting these controllers to work. Again, real easy if you know how. I have not used them on any radio but the Spektrums without a PiStix.

Mxkid261
07-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Awesome thanks a lot this is great info to know. Sorry Terry I didn't mean to ask a bunch on nonsense in your thread Lol

oscarel
07-08-2016, 11:50 AM

If you set it for fixed endpoints it'll work, use this with a Futaba with no issues. Click on the info icon when programming and it'll give instructions on how to set it up.

T.S.Davis
07-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Sorry Terry I didn't mean to ask a bunch on nonsense in your thread Lol

No worries man. If it gets another boat on the water I'm cool with it.

ray schrauwen
07-08-2016, 09:01 PM

No it is not. I know a name they are sold under and I guarantee they aren't Hobbywing escs. Program boxes are completely different.

I will not utter the name out of respect for Steve's business.

Mxkid261
07-08-2016, 11:23 PM
It would be great if we could get atleast a 200A raider controller they'd sell out real quick Lol

T.S.Davis
07-08-2016, 11:26 PM
They probably would.

Tom ordered a 160 to beat up on. I'll let you guys know what we see.

T.S.Davis
07-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Sorry. A 150.

Not enough runs to make a blanket statement about these but the first few runs were impressive. Tom put one in his P Sport and it came back with out a hiccup. First impression was/is pretty good.

kfxguy
07-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Sorry. A 150.

Not enough runs to make a blanket statement about these but the first few runs were impressive. Tom put one in his P Sport and it came back with out a hiccup. First impression was/is pretty good.

Good deal. Same I've experienced. Can't be beat for the $$.

Darin Jordan
07-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Awesome Darin. Thx! Hopefully terry is ok with this in his thread. Very useful info.

OK... Settings:

ENDPOINT: I've done it with both 100%, and opened up to 150% on the FWD side. I think either works. I set 150 on the FWD side because it makes sure I get ALL of the throttle.
SUBTRIM: Set your throttle SUBTRIM to -100B, or -100L, depending on the TX.
THROTTLE TRIM: On your throttle trim setting (the small trim lever by the wheel), trim -100.

On the Castle: Set for FIXED endpoints

This should do the trick. MAKE SURE that you rebind once you get everything setup. Otherwise, Neutral won't always bee neutral and if you flip, the boat will failsafe to a slightly ON condition.

Hope this helps.