PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jefferson and The Bill Of Rights

NorthernBoater
10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
It is very interesting to note that when Jefferson was helping write the Bill Of Rights there were two more things he wanted in it that did not get put in it. The first one is the US could not have a standing army and the second is to have restrictions against monopolies. This was a generation that was trying to get out from under an oppressive government that they had no representation in. The Right To Bear Arms can also be interrupted as the right to revolt against the government. He realized that if there was a standing army the citizens would not be able to oppose a corrupt government. Right now it is the monopolistic practices of a few large corporations and a government that has to much control that is wrecking this country. It is hard to argue that the facts that the couple banks did not collude with each other.

NorthernBoater
10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Here is a article that is also worthwhile reading about him.
http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff0950.htm

AndyKunz
10-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Because the Congress has the right to create laws regarding interstate trade, his anti-monopoly comment was addressable by legislation.

Because we DO have a standing army, the Second Amendment is even more important. And we should have the same sorts of arms (including RPGs) as the military.

But you know what? I think corporations would have built them to protect their own assets here and abroad.

Andy

NorthernBoater
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
But you know what? I think corporations would have built them to protect their own assets here and abroad.

Andy

:iagree: I do think that the government should have a standing army but I also think it has become to large.

On another note before 1886 corporations did not have any rights any of the rights of a person. Before that they did not have any way to influence the laws in our government. Now they can lobby the government and influence the laws. They have a lot more money to get the government to pass laws that are favorable for them.

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Here's one that applies...

"The less a man thinks or knows about his virtues, the better we like him." - Emerson

and the bigger picture:

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." - Emerson

would you prefer Thoreau? LOL