PDA

View Full Version : Dumas 1949 Chris Craft 19ft Runabout build

tryinotocrash
06-05-2016, 03:52 PM
I started this a couple of years ago and since my Grandson came to live with us I put it away for a bit . He is 4 1/2 now and I can get a few seconds here and there.
He likes to "help" so I need to find him some projects while I try to get some stuff done on this build .
If you have any ideas about this build or what to get the boy to work on while I build I'm all ears. He wants to dremmel on the reef racers I got for him to play with and me too sometimes..
I have several other boats most electric and one gasoline boat so far. I have built other boat kits before but that was 30 years ago. I missed getting a few of the steps pictured so far like filling the front with pool noodles .
But here are a few pictures of the progress so far .
I need to do some finish sanding and lots more building but I thought I would share so far. I need to order some fiberglass cloth and the elecronics so that is all coming pretty soon.

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/markhovanec/slideshow/1949%20chris%20craft

Planking the deck was a bit of work to get decent . Looks like the new kits come stamped out or something.
Now that I am back to it and it is 116 degrees here in Phoenix already I think it best to work on it some more.
I have not finished sanding the deck inside the cockpit or any other opening yet I have only rough sanded it all so far.

jhl1963
06-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Looks great - thanks for sharing. What kind of power setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tryinotocrash
06-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Just going to use a brushed motor so it doesn't make a bunch of noise or try to make it go too fast.
This is the motor recommended for this boat .

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=8&I=LXE551

I don't quite know about what prop yet I haven't read that far in the destructions to see what they recommend for it.
I have a lot more work to do but I kind of want to keep moving ahead as I want to build another boat soon .
I don't think I will build another like this one for a while .
The next project will be a larger gas boat Zipp kit.
Thanks for looking . There are threads on rc groups I think with some pictures of finished boats and a couple look really sharp . Should be fun for my Grandson or myself to run at the ponds.