PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise from esc, motor

ace028
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
As stated in title, I have a strange noise coming from my esc, and motor in my renegade rigger. Here is what I have

Thunderpower 1320mah 3 cell lipo
Castle Pheonix 25 esc
Mile High Rc 400df 2600kv motor
pistick
losi dsm receiver
Hitec srx with spectrum module

The noise I am talking about is like a screaming sound, you know the normal noise/tone of a outrunner, well it sounds like that but screaming type noise. I have noticed a large decrease in performance. I have changed the settings on my esc to full starting power, low timing, max frequency (changed from a lower number, noise still the same).

Has anyone experienced this before, could it be signs of a junk battery not able to put out enough power? Bad motor, bad esc? Thanks guys!

Boatman
10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
sounds like an endbell bearing maybe? kinda reverting to my brushed motor days with bushings. You running thrust bearing on that motor?

andym
10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Try a little machine or fishing reel oil on the bearings, just a couple of drops and spin by hand. It is good practice to oil these bearings at the end of the day and after they get wet.
Good luck

ace028
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM
I run the thrust bearing up against the strut. I will check the bearings, I don't think that is what it is though, I will check and report.

ace028
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
When I remove the flex cable, the noise goes away. I replaced the teflon liner, but the noise is still there. The flex shaft spins freely. bearings I think are ok. I did not remove the motor yet (pain).

Boatman
10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Good job in narrowing it down. What if you remove thrust bearing? Maybe its time allready for a new one? other than that I have never heard such a noise. A slight vibration is sometimes but not a scream.

ace028
10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, right now I the bearing isn't against the strut, but it still makes the noise, after the teflon swap, it quit, but after messing around (swaping my spectrum out because antenna don't stick up past water spary-therefore glitch) it started again. I'm wondering if it is the motor, since the flex shaft has a slight s bend (spins free) and with grease in there then it puts enough load on the motor to make it scream. Maybe I can get a vid of whats going on.

rockwerks
10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, right now I the bearing isn't against the strut, but it still makes the noise, after the teflon swap, it quit, but after messing around (swaping my spectrum out because antenna don't stick up past water spary-therefore glitch) it started again. I'm wondering if it is the motor, since the flex shaft has a slight s bend (spins free) and with grease in there then it puts enough load on the motor to make it scream. Maybe I can get a vid of whats going on.

From my experience with some of the cheap outrunners in rock crawling they scream when put under certain load conditions, :cursing: I ran one for a years with that horrible nails on chalk board whine then went back to brushed for crawling.better fine control and no cats tail under the rocker sounds:unsure: