PDA

View Full Version : help needed iam stumped !!

MAXAMUS
10-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi All
OK being fairly new to Fe boats i have now hit a buffer which has stopped me in my tracks as some will know from my previous posts i was swapping out the stock motor and ESC and up grading, due to waiting on parts this is now done my AMMO 36-50 2300kv is fitted along with my ETTI 150 amp ESC
all secure and connected up but i have no power at all !!

iam still using the stock Rx but as we know the stock ESC had a on, off switch and as iam not that great in the electrical department did this power the stock RX IE is this why i don't have any power ? ??? please help

thanks maxamus ............

egneg
10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I think you will need a receiver pack with that ESC.

Fluid
10-25-2008, 10:15 AM
AFAIK all the ETTIs have a BEC, so a receiver pack should not be needed for it to work in your boat. The ESC may be set with a voltage cutoff that is too low for the packs you are using. When you turn on the radio and plug in the packs does the ESC beep? Is the ESC plug in the receiver correctly polarized/inserted? If all else fails, read the directions; these should work for the 150 if you don't have them.

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/pdfs/ETTI%20100A.pdf

MAXAMUS
10-25-2008, 10:21 AM
no power nothing no beeps using fully charged bats tried swapping Rx plug about 180 o and plugging back into Rx still nothing :cursing:

Fluid
10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
- Do you have steering?
- Did you ever connect the ESC to the packs backwards - even for just a second?
- Is your transmitter set to full throttle/full brake with trim in the middle?
- Are all three motor wires connected when you are plugging in the packs?
- Did it ever make a sound when connected?

wf6h
10-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Not a lot of info but looking at the picture! I see one battery and a Series harness! Unless I just don't see the other battery?

MAXAMUS
10-25-2008, 11:34 AM
the photo was taken after i disconnected 1 of the packs i am using 2x 7.4v 6600mah 20 c packs in series there are no beeps, sounds, nothing dead as a dodo

wf6h
10-25-2008, 11:43 AM
OK then! Well I'm at a loss then.. Someone will come along with the right answer.. Good luck to you..
Ken

egneg
10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
The 150 amp listed here does not have a BEC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETTI-150A-30V-6-20-Opto-Water-cooled-Controller_W0QQitemZ150246072684QQihZ005QQcategory Z34058QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153 .l1262

Fluid
10-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Okay, then all the OP needs is a receiver pack...that's easy.

MAXAMUS
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
OK guys your loosing me here would a bec sort it out and what about a rx power pk where, what and how ??

iam in comms with ASTEC who i bought it from and he hasn't come up with anything either my next thought would be the soldering ?? poss dry joint or bad solder ?? its making me mad now

Spot Me 2
10-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Add a receiver pack and see if it works. It has no bec, or battery eliminator circuit. It needs a Ubec or receiver pack.

NorthernBoater
10-25-2008, 01:41 PM
OK guys your loosing me here would a bec sort it out and what about a rx power pk where, what and how ??

iam in comms with ASTEC who i bought it from and he hasn't come up with anything either my next thought would be the soldering ?? poss dry joint or bad solder ?? its making me mad now

Try something like this, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=battery+holder. Your LHS should have something that will work.

rockwerks
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Most RC car and truck esc's are made with what is called a BEC circuit in the esc. Battery Elimination Circuit). This circuit makes it possible for you run the radio equiptment wiout the need for adding a receiver pack of batteries and plugging it into the receiver where it says BATT.

You have 2 ways to overcome the problem.

one is to put in a 4 AA cell receiver pack into the the receiver, that pack will then power your radio equipment.

The other option is to install and external UBEC (universal battery elimination circuit). This little unit taps directly off the +and- battery leads to draw power from the packs and plugs into the BATT port on the receiver, it converts power the correct voltage to properly run the radio equipment. If you go this route make sure you have one with a high enough amp rating to handle the load

here is how to wire it in:

http://www.castlecreations.com/images/ccbec_multi-pack-thumb.jpg

MAXAMUS
10-25-2008, 02:02 PM
well i have a Medusa bec 2amp bec(6v) from an aero project also an opto isolator would i need that to ?

Ub Hauled
10-25-2008, 05:08 PM
well maxamus, you are running 14.8v and the little BEC is rated for 6v,
that would not work.
Just talk to one of your RC buddies and get a little battery tray (4AA cells)
to test the problem. Plug the tray into your receiver after the Tx is on
and see if you get the servo to work. If the servo works then you'll know
that you have the Rx plugged in properly... then you power up the main
power (the two packs you have) and you should have some sort
of a signal that the power is enabled. If that DOES NOT work you should
read the manual and see if any kinda Tx/Rx binding is needed, for example,
the Castle ESCs require you to go thru a setup between the ESC and
the TX so the ESC "recognizes" your Tx. This is a ONE TIME procedure.
Maybe the Etti needs to go thru the same procedure to work.