PDA

View Full Version : Finally it's Over!

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
The verdict finally came through.

Sorry, a while back I posted this statement...

Sorry guys. I put this one and a few others on hold for a bit. I recently learned that my sister in Australia was murdered by her husband. Sad times here right now. Family from New york are here with us now. Sorry.:crying:

Today, I learned that a verdict was passed (http://dubbo.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/act-of-madness-but-he-meant-it/1336358.aspx).

10/17/2008 9:33:00 AM
A Supreme Court jury has found Tooraweenah farmer Laurence Bede O’Connor guilty of murdering his wife, Flordeliza, at the couple’s property last year.
After about four-and-a-half hours of deliberation, the jury yesterday returned the verdict just before 4.30pm, bringing the three-week trial to a close yesterday.

Mr O’Connor now awaits sentencing, with a date in December set to hear submissions.

Mr O’Connor, 65, pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to the manslaughter of his wife of 22 years, a 47-year-old Filipino known as Flora.

After hearing about 10 days worth of evidence, the jury found Mr O’Connor guilty of the shooting murder of his wife.

His family, including his son and daughter who were called as witnesses in the trial, were present for the verdict.

Flora was first shot in the back and then the head with a 0.22 semi-automatic rifle in July 2007.

She was repairing a hole on the roof of the couple’s house on their property near Tooraweenah, about 100km north-east of Dubbo, when she was shot.

The court heard evidence Flora burned Mr O’Connor’s tobacco and had taken items including a chequebook and keys to his ute.

In his evidence during the trial, Mr O’Connor said she repeatedly screamed, “I’m the boss” while on the roof.

In what he described as an act of madness, Mr O’Connor picked up his 0.22 rifle before supporting the ladder on which Flora was about to descend.

He shot her once in the back, then shot her again in the head when she was on the ground. He placed her body in the bucket of a tractor with a bag of lime.

He then drove to an isolated location on the property, where he buried the body with lime to prevent wild animals digging it up.

The court heard he would adopt the same practice with his dead dogs.

The court heard it was Mr O’Connor’s intention to shoot himself after he “tied up loose ends” by selling any remaining stock and machinery on the property.

On the day he meant to take his own life, he drank too much whiskey and passed out, the court heard. He was woken up by police and arrested that day.

Mr O’Connor eventually came clean to police, confessing the incident and leading them to his wife’s grave.

He has been in custody since his arrest in September 2007.

A friend reported Flora as a missing person to Gilgandra police in early September, despite Mr O’Connor’s false story his wife had left him.

He told his children the same story, as well as police when he was first questioned about her disappearance before admitting he killed her.

Sentencing submissions could start on December 4.

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Here's the last pic I have of my sister and my niece.

Steven Vaccaro
10-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Glad to see justice was served. A post of a real life tragedy like this really puts things back into prospective. I hope there is now some closure for you and your family.

Doug Smock
10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Damn Danny........... I don't know what to say, that is terrible!!
God bless you and your family.
Doug

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys!

This one really hurts... Here is the real latest pic of my sister.

Ub Hauled
10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Dude...
I know that is not going to bring anyone back but at least you know that justice was served...
if there is justice to something like that.

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 09:08 PM
:closedeyes: I don't know if there's anything that anyone can say or do...

Our prayers are with you and your family. Let me know if I can help with a remembrance website for your family and friends to find closure and celebrate her life, to remind everyone of what she meant to them personally and remember fondly how she touched and enriched their lives.

Doug Smock
10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys!

This one really hurts... Here is the real latest pic of my sister.

I know exactly how you feel Danny, I just lost my youngest brother. IT SUCKS!!:mad:

Hang in there bud.
Doug

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks to everyone.
The hard part is now over. Whatever justice we were going to get, has been achieved. Now we just need to remember her!

J Solinger
10-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about all of this Danny. You and your family have my deepest prayers.

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
That's the right idea Danny :thumbup1:

tth
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Danny,

God bless you and your family, our heartfealt prayers are with you and yours.

T. Hatch