PDA

View Full Version : The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

kfxguy
03-17-2016, 12:31 PM
This is an open thread for everyone to post their successes and failures and info on their modding to the zelos twin. I think the first thing that will be popular will be prop swapping. Let me start.

I flushed my water pickups. Everything hanging in the water creates drag. It made no difference at all. None. So skip this. Just had to try it just in case. I tear drop shaped them. I'll take pics when I get home, but still skip this step unless you just want to do it.

Pic of mine in the water

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/2CECF21B-C711-4270-913C-3EE9BA0D9FB9.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/2CECF21B-C711-4270-913C-3EE9BA0D9FB9.jpg.html)

arrover
03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Excellent! Should be a fun thread! I can't wait to share...

paulfromtulsa
03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
well i ran the boat through 2 battery packs back to back. the batteries im using are spc 7200mah 70c. the temps after both packs were motor 97 , esc 88, battery 100 , and battery connectors 119. so theres room to prop up. i ran the batteries all the way to the back and only got only 58mph. then i moved the battery all the way to the front on the second pack and got the exact same results 58mph. the boat is very stable at those speeds. time to do some modding!!! also i notice that the stream of water that comes out of the outlet is not very strong so i dont believe it is cooling as well as it should be, have you guys also notice that?

arrover
03-17-2016, 01:08 PM
My temps have been low also. One of the "U" shaped water hoses on my ESC looks like it's on the verge of being kinked. You might want to check that. I may extend mine so the bend is more gentle.

kfxguy
03-17-2016, 01:18 PM
well i ran the boat through 2 battery packs back to back. the batteries im using are spc 7200mah 70c. the temps after both packs were motor 97 , esc 88, battery 100 , and battery connectors 119. so theres room to prop up. i ran the batteries all the way to the back and only got only 58mph. then i moved the battery all the way to the front on the second pack and got the exact same results 58mph. the boat is very stable at those speeds. time to do some modding!!! also i notice that the stream of water that comes out of the outlet is not very strong so i dont believe it is cooling as well as it should be, have you guys also notice that?

Mine does the same thing. Judging by your temps and my temps, it's just fine.

Definitely check for kinks. Stuff happens sometimes but it's better to catch it now

kfxguy
03-17-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm glad you guys got a baseline. Seems dead on the same speed with both of you. Now sharpen the props and let's see what it picks up. I didn't run mine without sharpened props to see but I'm guessing it will be worth your while to do it.

kfxguy
03-17-2016, 01:42 PM
I forgot. Over the past couple days I've been paying attention to the details. I sharpened the rudder better on it and sharpened the bottom of it too. I also noticed my props weren't as sharp as I like. I only spent about ten minutes on them. I smoothed my flexes with 400 grit and then polished with mothers. Using a drill spinning the flex is how I did it. Be careful and you don't need high speed, it will whip on you. It will smack you. Lol

When I first put the boat together (mine is a prototype and needed some changes to get it to production status) I had to move the motor mounts. When I did, it was late at night and I wanted the thing ready for the next day so I sort of rushed it and didn't bend the brass tubes at just the right angle.....so mine eventually melted to Teflon (the motors moved on me in a crash too....my fault there but long story) I'm not sure how much drag that was creating but now it sounds tons smoother and I can tell the motors move easier. Might be worth some speed there. I also chamfered the leading edges of the drive dogs. These little things may or may not help but I'm pretty impressed with the speeds I'm getting.

kfxguy
03-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Arrover, what are doing to yours first?

arrover
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking props like you said and we'll see how that spirals out of control. Know what I mean?! Haha! I'm fairly new to cats so I'm looking forward to learning and tweaking just like I did with my Voracity. I'm not planning any motor/esc changes for right now.

Rafael_Lopez
03-17-2016, 05:04 PM

What you can do is tear drop the opening to the water pick up with a hobby knife a little. Just knock the paint out of the inlet and you will notice a difference. It's not restricting the water flow, judging by your temps, but if you want max flow, you would need to clean out the paint from the inlets.

Keagan-Z06
03-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Is Horizon Hobby the only place right now that has the Zelos Available? I want one baaaad!! Amain is the only site I know that accepts different shipping and billing (live outside US)

Rafael_Lopez
03-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Is Horizon Hobby the only place right now that has the Zelos Available? I want one baaaad!! Amain is the only site I know that accepts different shipping and billing (live outside US)
Don't know if Steve ships Internationally.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hh-PRB08021

Keagan-Z06
03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Don't know if Steve ships Internationally.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=hh-PRB08021

I can have it shipped to the US and then a courier to bring it to Belize. Let me try!

Keagan-Z06
03-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Never mind, order placed. Thanks for making me broke Rafael! :hug1:

Rafael_Lopez
03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
My pleasure.:buttrock: :biggrin:

Never mind, order placed. Thanks for making me broke Rafael! :hug1:

kfxguy
03-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Ugh. Tried to go run it yesterday. There was some dark clouds off in the distance. Was actually supposed to rain all day yesterday but still hasn't by the time I got home from work. So I hurry up and pack up to head to the lake. I get there (it's only 1/2 mile down the road so I take a golf cart there) and I'm almost to my spot and all of a sudden the temp drops at least 10-15 degrees and the wind starts whipping like a mini hurricane. I look out on the lake and it was the roughest I've ever seen. Turn around and head back. I thought I wasn't gonna make it back as the wind was blowing so hard it was moving the cart all around. Downed trees and branches on the road now. Crazy how it got like that in the matter of ten or so minutes. It never even rained. I calmed back down after a couple hours. So hopefully I can get out there today. I'm dying to run this thing after the changes I made! Keep you guys posted.

Keagan-Z06
03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Ugh. Tried to go run it yesterday. There was some dark clouds off in the distance. Was actually supposed to rain all day yesterday but still hasn't by the time I got home from work. So I hurry up and pack up to head to the lake. I get there (it's only 1/2 mile down the road so I take a golf cart there) and I'm almost to my spot and all of a sudden the temp drops at least 10-15 degrees and the wind starts whipping like a mini hurricane. I look out on the lake and it was the roughest I've ever seen. Turn around and head back. I thought I wasn't gonna make it back as the wind was blowing so hard it was moving the cart all around. Downed trees and branches on the road now. Crazy how it got like that in the matter of ten or so minutes. It never even rained. I calmed back down after a couple hours. So hopefully I can get out there today. I'm dying to run this thing after the changes I made! Keep you guys posted.

Go get em kfx! At least you have a lake nearby, all I have is the open sea and a scary river. I ain't about to go in no dingy to retrieve my Voracity in that there river of mine.

Rafael_Lopez
03-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Here is Darin Jordan's second run of the day. Also the second time his boat has touched water. I believe he was running 1815 props with twin Voracity motors on 6s to each ESC. As the day progressed, through tuning he finally got it close to dialed and set the NAMBA T-cat record with a :27.xxx second 2 lap run.
Here is video. As you can tell by the wheelies he was popping, this early on he was unable to open it up much.
http://youtu.be/LfFB1pNhNZA

I decided to post this here because the boat is no longer stock, considering he is running Voracity motors. ESCs are stock and not breaking a sweat.

Keagan-Z06
03-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Here is Darin Jordan's second run of the day. Also the second time his boat has touched water. I believe he was running 1815 props with twin Voracity motors on 6s to each ESC. As the day progressed, through tuning he finally got it close to dialed and set the NAMBA T-cat record with a :27.xxx second 2 lap run.
Here is video. As you can tell by the wheelies he was popping, this early on he was unable to open it up much.
http://youtu.be/LfFB1pNhNZA

I decided to post this here because the boat is no longer stock, considering he is running Voracity motors. ESCs are stock and not breaking a sweat.

What did he hit?

Rafael_Lopez
03-18-2016, 10:22 PM
We don't know. Maybe a turtle, maybe a duck swimming under water. He wipes out quite a bit getting his boat dialed in and he didn't get even a single chip. Boat took the beating like a champ.

arrover
03-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Wow. Good day for you both! Let us know how tomorrow goes.

kfxguy
03-21-2016, 12:22 AM
Well after all my little mods I was dying to run it all weekend. Yesterday was nasty wet with serious winds. Today was very pretty but winds that were just downright ridiculous. I went to an Easter carnival mid day and the huge blow space walks (not sure what everyone else calls them...the huge inflatable thing kids jump in lol) were getting blown all over the place. Even being staked down. One took off and was stopped by a light pole. I was leaning against it when it flew away lol. Anyway, I still went to the lake with the zelos. Sat around and waited for the water to calm down and it did. Just the wind really didn't. I guess it changed directions and was being blocked somewhat by the trees. I threw her in on 6s. She felt really strong. I couldn't stay in the throttle. Every time I get to full throttle the nose came up and wanted to flip. Finally it did. It landed right side up and I kept going. Then I heard a screeching noise so I brought it in. That what I get for being impatient. Well I was trying to get some run time in before my trip to Minnesota and my painfully long down time I about to face. The motor cocked sideways from the impact. Evidently I can't can't in there and get the dang thing tight enough. Hand won't fit. So I made a tool. I saw something like it on here someone else had made. It's a flex shaft with brass over it with a 2.5mm Allen on the end and a hex on the other to put a ratchet on it. Did a test. I tightened it as tight as I could like normal. Then tried the tool. Whaddaya know....I was able to crank down more on it. Good deal...I feel better now.

Ive been hell bent on seeing what I can get out of it stock but I'm anxious to change props. Next time out will have a set of abc's on it. Check it.....its got some pep to it!

Btw, it went 65 in this video just blipping the throttle like that. I was disappointed earlier but after watching the video and seeing I never was able to get on it, I'll take 65 doing what it was doing lol

http://youtu.be/mD5QQ-PeMjE

Rafael_Lopez
03-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Wow. Good day for you both! Let us know how tomorrow goes.
I ended the event with the NAMBA Q-Cat 2 lap record with a 0:29.37. Darin ended the event with the NAMBA 2 lap T-Cat record with a 0:27.1. This RTR boat now holds a NAMBA 2 lap records.

kfxguy
03-21-2016, 12:46 AM
I ended the event with the NAMBA Q-Cat 2 lap record with a 0:29.37. Darin ended the event with the NAMBA 2 lap T-Cat record with a 0:27.1. This RTR boat now holds a NAMBA 2 lap records.

So awesome. Not only does it hold one, but two records. That's gotta sting for some other "rtr guy" that was bragging about having the best rtr out there. Lol

kfxguy
03-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Made a quick trip to the lake. Wind is still kicking and the water wasn't real bad but I did make a new best today. Abc 1814-17-45 props. The temps stayed in check (98f or less) but I was only making speed runs. The 1815's may or may not be too much. This is my last run for a few weeks so you fellas are gonna have to pick up where I left off. Timing was at 0 on this run

http://youtu.be/_EeJHgl5p9I

kfxguy
03-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Made a quick trip to the lake. Wind is still kicking and the water wasn't real bad but I did make a new best today. Abc 1814-17-45 props. The temps stayed in check (98f or less) but I was only making speed runs. The 1815's may or may not be too much. This is my last run for a few weeks so you fellas are gonna have to pick up where I left off. Timing was at 0 on this run

paulfromtulsa
03-22-2016, 09:01 PM

Nice Travis! How were temps? Yku think there's more room to do a 1915

Brushless55
03-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Nice and smooth !
looks good man :thumbup1:

kfxguy
03-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Let me lay this out for you guys. These props do not seem very aggressive but the do drive better and feel/sound smoother. The temps in the esc were non existent. Ambient temp. The highest I recorded was 98f on the motors immediately after pulling the hatch. I was only doing speed runs BUT as you can see the boat was running wet and was very stable. I could raise the strut some and pick up a few more mph easily but in these conditions I didn't want to chance it so I put the struts as negative as they would go as a starting point. It just so happens it made a few nice clean passes in the high winds that I didn't want to press my luck so I packed up with a smile on my face.....knowing it's got 80 in it no problem. That's pretty damn impressive out of a rtr boat with a prop swap. Raphael just told me the temps on the motors would likely be higher with the low timing I had because they like some timing because of the 6 poles, so next time I'll be trying higher timing. I may even try the 1815's I have.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 12:13 AM
I think 1915's are too much for these motors. Honestly you don't need to. How fast you wanna go? It'll do 80 as it is I'm sure of it. It was neutered because of the high winds.

Yellow
03-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Where can you get the ABC 1814-17-45 props? I didn't see them on OSE.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Where can you get the ABC 1814-17-45 props? I didn't see them on OSE.

Contact jim@abcprops.com and see who's carrying them. I'll email Steve and let him know to put them on his next order. Also contact Dasboata if you want to buy them already prepared, he may have some. I'll text him in a few hours to see. If he don't he can't get them from abc for you provided abc has some in stock.

Darin Jordan
03-23-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm not convinced, after running the 2-Lap this weekend with Rafael, that the -17 rake props are the way to go. Have you tried the same pitch but with the -10 degree rake?

The reason I think this is that, with the -17 props, I had to run a LOT of strut angle downward in order to keep the nose down under the additional speeds. The lack of lift settled the transom more than with the stock prop, which, combined with the extra speed, resulted in some pretty spectacular wheelies down the straights.

I didn't have a pair of -10 props to try, but I suspect that the additional lift of these props would have allowed me to run less strut angle, and would have put more more of that thrust into pushing the boat forward, as opposed to hold the tail of the boat up.

Something to consider trying. I know that Rafael wasn't having to run as much strut angle as I did, and he was using the stock, X442 based props.

Rafael_Lopez
03-23-2016, 12:39 PM
I only ran 1mm of negative angle with the stock props. I saw the need to add .5 more negative angle with only 2 packs, and the props that Darin cut some rake in to. If I were just running around for fun, I would have run my struts neutral and dealt with the possibility of flipping backwards or letting off the throttle at the first sign of lift. But because this was a timed event, I didn't want to spend more time retrieving than running.

I think Darin is on to something. The energy used to lift the boat could be put to better use propelling the boat, forward. But, the fact that Travis reports back nearly 70 mph with 0-3* of timing is very impressive. Something is going right there. I guess it's up to the user to decide if the extra speed, at the advantages of less timing, is worth any potential propulsion loss due to running so much negative angle.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm not convinced, after running the 2-Lap this weekend with Rafael, that the -17 rake props are the way to go. Have you tried the same pitch but with the -10 degree rake?

The reason I think this is that, with the -17 props, I had to run a LOT of strut angle downward in order to keep the nose down under the additional speeds. The lack of lift settled the transom more than with the stock prop, which, combined with the extra speed, resulted in some pretty spectacular wheelies down the straights.

I didn't have a pair of -10 props to try, but I suspect that the additional lift of these props would have allowed me to run less strut angle, and would have put more more of that thrust into pushing the boat forward, as opposed to hold the tail of the boat up.

Something to consider trying. I know that Rafael wasn't having to run as much strut angle as I did, and he was using the stock, X442 based props.

I know the negative goes against traditional thinking but the negative is what these props like. I usually counteract that by having the nose a little heavier in the front of the boat by using epoxy in the tips etc. I want to leave this boat as stock as possible so I haven't done that yet. I have some negative in my even faster boats struts also. The only boat that doesn't require negative usually is a cheetah single. I've tried the 10 degree 1916 vs the 17 degree 1915 back to back and the 10 degree was about 10mph slower even with more pitch. I'm sold on the 17 degree props and my prop box shows it. I'm constantly replacing my octuras and 10 degree abcs with the 17's. To make them work you just have to put in a little work in tuning it. The octuras don't require as much tuning but if you want the edge and a little more speed, you'll put in the extra time in messing with the 17's. You can't argue the speed and how stable it was in the video. Stock boat. Stock motors. Just props, almost 75mph in 30+mph winds. The water may not look that rough in the video but trust me it wasn't ideal for going these speeds. If I wasn't leaving for Minnesota tomorrow, I'd be at the lake proving this boat will go 80 with these props. Don't be scared of the negative.....it's not hurting your propulsion.....

One thing I'd like to add. I've gone 70 and some change a few times in good conditions. With what I've been dealing with lately I'm only getting 64-65 and then the boat flips....with stock props and the struts level. So I swap the props, lower the angle to keep it on the water and its WAAAAY more stable so I can actually run it now.....and its 4mph faster than my best....and I did it in worse conditions. I see it as a 10mph gain because the boat is not running near as loose as it was to do 70. So I loosen it and it's going 80. No doubt in my mind. Darin if you were using the 1815's, they have more pitch....in my testing with these props, more pitch brought on more bow lift and more flipping. if it's easier than watching the video....

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/A7A6A73C-072C-48F0-BE08-2ED0F199A105.png (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/A7A6A73C-072C-48F0-BE08-2ED0F199A105.png.html)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/28ADBAE9-9FD3-49C4-BBF6-050DB6D69481.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/28ADBAE9-9FD3-49C4-BBF6-050DB6D69481.jpg.html)

Darin Jordan
03-23-2016, 02:16 PM
OK... I'll just leave this to you. You clearly didn't read what I was saying, and hey, what do I know anyhow. It's not like I have anything that actually goes fast...

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 02:52 PM
I edited my post. I misunderstood (or didn't pay attention well enough lol) something you said, apologies. That's what I get when I'm trying to do two things at once lol. But I will admit that I automatically take defense to most of what your write because to me it seems to me like like to disagree with me a lot. So my fault for thinking that way. I'll try to read your posts in a more positive manner for now on. When you started of by saying you aren't convinced on the 17 degree props, I already had it in my mind you were disagreeing just to disagree.

Darin Jordan
03-23-2016, 03:12 PM
I edited my post. I misunderstood (or didn't pay attention well enough lol) something you said, apologies. That's what I get when I'm trying to do two things at once lol. But I will admit that I automatically take defense to most of what your write because to me it seems to me like like to disagree with me a lot. So my fault for thinking that way. I'll try to read your posts in a more positive manner for now on. When you started of by saying you aren't convinced on the 17 degree props, I already had it in my mind you were disagreeing just to disagree.

Thanks, Travis. I wasn't disagreeing at all. Just trying to pass on some thoughts based on the experience that Rafael and I had this past weekend.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Travis. I wasn't disagreeing at all. Just trying to pass on some thoughts based on the experience that Rafael and I had this past weekend.

Gotcha. I know these props can be a handful. I lost a very nice build to the depths of my lake because of an 1815-17 prop. I was too dang set on not wanting to give negative. Just seemed counter productive to me. But that's what they like. Still hard to get used to it.

Here's how yesterday went before the videos. At home on my setup board, I put the boat flat on it. Then lowered the strut angle to where the end of the struts were .020 from hitting the surface using a feeler gauge. That's a good bit of negative. Get to the lake and I'm popping wheelies as I'm getting into it. Not what I want especially since it's windy. I'm running out of time (wife texting me to come home) so I just put them full negative to see what happens. This time I was able to make nice full throttle passes. Maybe this will be my new method for now on. Major negative at first then loosen it up.

Brushless55
03-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Let me lay this out for you guys. These props do not seem very aggressive but the do drive better and feel/sound smoother. The temps in the esc were non existent. Ambient temp. The highest I recorded was 98f on the motors immediately after pulling the hatch. I was only doing speed runs BUT as you can see the boat was running wet and was very stable. I could raise the strut some and pick up a few more mph easily but in these conditions I didn't want to chance it so I put the struts as negative as they would go as a starting point. It just so happens it made a few nice clean passes in the high winds that I didn't want to press my luck so I packed up with a smile on my face.....knowing it's got 80 in it no problem. That's pretty damn impressive out of a rtr boat with a prop swap. Raphael just told me the temps on the motors would likely be higher with the low timing I had because they like some timing because of the 6 poles, so next time I'll be trying higher timing. I may even try the 1815's I have.

That sounds totally fair Travis
give it a go man !

zooma
03-23-2016, 07:12 PM
If the motors are truly a "D" wind, I would expect them to run hotter with more timing advance, regardless of the number of poles.

zooma
03-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey, Travis, what else would you do to the 17 rake props beside S & B? Do you cup them? I do like them for monos.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Hey, Travis, what else would you do to the 17 rake props beside S & B? Do you cup them? I do like them for monos.

Honestly these props are so good, I'm afraid to cup them and mess them up. They offer these in pitches up to 1.9 so there's really no need to do that. 1.4 like I'm using is pretty friendly to the electronics from what I can tell so far.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 09:27 PM
If the motors are truly a "D" wind, I would expect them to run hotter with more timing advance, regardless of the number of poles.

That's what I thought, but Raphael says otherwise and he's got a lot more time under his belt with these motors than me for sure so I trust what he says.

Rafael_Lopez
03-23-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm confirming the timing with both the ESC and motor vendor tonight. I'll have a better answer for you guys soon.

Motor temps seem to be around the same regardless of timing. What gets hotter as timing goes up is the wires and connectors being that the ESC is dumping power in to the motors at a tighter distance with higher timing.

Typically Delta wound motors do require less timing, but ESC programming also comes in to play. Since these are a combo and the timing was set rather high from the factory, 15*, I specified a lower timing on the ESC to be set at 7*.

I'll have confirmation from the vendors soon.

kfxguy
03-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Good deal. Thanks!

Darin Jordan
03-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Honestly these props are so good, I'm afraid to cup them and mess them up.

Good Call. With these, it's really best to just get the next appropriate size. Looking at the latest list of what's available, it's a LARGE selection.

And, just to pass on something that I found at the 2-Lap... I was running 1815-17-45s with a bit of negative and the boat was doing OK, but as you can tell from the videos, was still getting lite in the nose (Wheelies down the front straight are fun to watch, but not fast! :) )... I had to modify them to get them to fit (hubs way too long for the stubs), but I put on a set of 1915-17-45s, which my Voracity motors will easily (EASILY) turn. The boat was clearly faster, BUT, more importantly, also keep the nose down MUCH better.

The reason is that, regardless of prop diameter, the setup is going to try to run on the last 40% to 30% or so of the prop diameter. Going larger in diameter is similar to lowering the strut on the back of the hull (something that isn't possible with this setup, only angle adjustments). Lowering the strut raises the transom, which pushes the nose down. All without any additional angle.

What I might suggest is that, if you find a props with the correct pitch (like in my case with the 1815-17-45 = 2.700" Nominal pitch), But you are having issues keeping the nose down OR would like to run with less angle in the strut, try finding the SAME pitch, but in a larger diameter prop. In the example case of the 1815, a 1914-17-45 (~2.66" Nominal Pitch) might be something interesting to try.

kfxguy
03-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Good info Darin. I need to try the 1715's. I was thinking the 1814's would be good because of the additional diameter because of the slippage upon takeoff with the stock props. Did seem to work much better but maybe the 1715's will be better. I'll find out in a few weeks.

Darin Jordan
03-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Good info Darin. I need to try the 1715's. I was thinking the 1814's would be good because of the additional diameter because of the slippage upon takeoff with the stock props. Did seem to work much better but maybe the 1715's will be better. I'll find out in a few weeks.

Perfect.

ONCE you settle in on a diameter that let's the boat's attitude be "right", then, with these ABCs, you can go up or down in pitch to make the motors happy.

I'm actually thinking about designing my next SAW Hydro around this theory. Not worry about strut height. Just design it around a 35mm prop and work on pitch, rake, and pitch ratios from there. Could actually eliminate the strut that way if done correctly (some German boats already do this).

kfxguy
03-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Perfect.

ONCE you settle in on a diameter that let's the boat's attitude be "right", then, with these ABCs, you can go up or down in pitch to make the motors happy.

I'm actually thinking about designing my next SAW Hydro around this theory. Not worry about strut height. Just design it around a 35mm prop and work on pitch, rake, and pitch ratios from there. Could actually eliminate the strut that way if done correctly (some German boats already do this).

I actually did this with my 32" cat. I settled on the diameter that worked well and then went up in pitch as I checked logs and temps to see if the motor and esc could handle it. I'm at 98 with it and I have one more step in pitch I can go up. So that theory does work well. I was doing that and didn't realize it till you just said something. Lol

Darin Jordan
03-24-2016, 01:42 PM
I actually did this with my 32" cat. I settled on the diameter that worked well and then went up in pitch as I checked logs and temps to see if the motor and esc could handle it. I'm at 98 with it and I have one more step in pitch I can go up. So that theory does work well. I was doing that and didn't realize it till you just said something. Lol

There is a LOT to be said about the "guess and check" method! That's how most of the S/W around here (at work) gets developed!

Keagan-Z06
03-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Got lucky today and got my Zelos cleared from customs! Having a hard time getting my flex shaft loose to grease them. Tight space!

Rafael_Lopez
03-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Got lucky today and got my Zelos cleared from customs! Having a hard time getting my flex shaft loose to grease them. Tight space!

Are you using 2, 10mm open end wrenches?

I haven't heard this from anyone else. Can someone else tell me if you are having trouble accessing the motor coupler with 2 10mm open end wrenches?

srislash
03-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Perfect.

This is what I have been doing, it just changes the attitude too much going up in dia. Kind of came upon it accidentally. Sorry to come in here halfway Darin/Travis but I've been meaning to subscribe.
No Zelos here yet but this is what's been working on the Fantasm.

arrover
03-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Are you using 2, 10mm open end wrenches?

I haven't heard this from anyone else. Can someone else tell me if you are having trouble accessing the motor coupler with 2 10mm open end wrenches?

I haven't had any difficulty getting the couplers loose although they are located in a more confined space than say the Voracity. It's just the nature of the beast. The cooling lines and water pickups are somewhat in the way when I wipe the grease off the tip of the flexes. On my boat the stuffing tube liner was longer than the brass tube. I cut the liner off flush so I have a little more room to get my rag in there to wipe the tip of the flex off before inserting it into the coupler. It takes more time to do the maintenance on this boat and that's just natural since it has twins.

Keagan-Z06
03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
What size wrenches are you guys using? I won't be able to get the flex shaft greased until Monday evening. I used 7/16 and a wrench on the voracity but can't on the Zelos.

modvp55
03-24-2016, 07:50 PM
One thing I found on real boats that sounds like is working here as well is that high rake props (bow lifting at neutral trim) with the right amount of negative trim actually generate tail lift because the narrow cone is being thrust into the water. We found that to work best at 1/2 to 1.5 degrees of negative, if we needed more negative we then would decrease the rake until we got into that range. Difference to this is we also had the ability to change prop shaft height. Darin is correct most of the work that the prop does is the outer 40 percent, when we broke props 90 percent of the time it would be in the same place.

Rafael_Lopez
03-24-2016, 07:54 PM
What size wrenches are you guys using? I won't be able to get the flex shaft greased until Monday evening. I used 7/16 and a wrench on the voracity but can't on the Zelos.

The Voracity 36 and the Zelos 36 use the same motor coupler. They are metric; 10mm.

Keagan-Z06
03-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Damn it! Don't think I have a 10mm wrench. :(

Rafael_Lopez
03-24-2016, 10:15 PM
That's one of those silly details I put in the manual, lol
:tongue_smilie::thumbup1:

Keagan-Z06
03-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Damn it. I sure do feel like an a$$. Either way I don't have a 10mm, I won't be able to get one until Tuesday after the holiday. :(

Rafael_Lopez
03-24-2016, 11:47 PM
I just giving you hard time, sorry. I started out in Product Support, no one ever reads our manuals, lol.

Keagan-Z06
03-25-2016, 08:57 AM
I downloaded the digital copy. Will read today! Let's see if these pictures work

Darin Jordan
03-25-2016, 11:31 AM
The manual for this boat is freaking AMAZING... People really should read it! It's actually useful. :thumbup1:

Rafael_Lopez
03-25-2016, 11:42 AM
I'll take that compliment, considering I wrote it, lol.:bounce:

Nice pictures Keagan!

JPriami
03-25-2016, 06:14 PM
I have some abc 1816-10-50 3 I want to try tomorrow. Have you used those yet? I'm on my phone and haven't had time to read all the post in this thread.

Keagan-Z06
03-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I have some abc 1816-10-50 3 I want to try tomorrow. Have you used those yet? I'm on my phone and haven't had time to read all the post in this thread.

If I recall you sharpened your stock props already right? How was that over stock? I'm assuming this abc prop you wanna try should put you around 70ish?

JPriami
03-25-2016, 07:30 PM
I didn't run my boat on the stock props as stock. I sharpened and balanced them before it ever touched the water. So I'm not able to give that comparision.

As far as the abc props I mention. Those were used on my 32" twin cat. Pushed 80 mph on just 14.8v. But I'm worried they may be too much for the stock zelos electrics.

kfxguy
03-25-2016, 09:38 PM

As far as the abc props I mention. Those were used on my 32" twin cat. Pushed 80 mph on just 14.8v. But I'm worried they may be too much for the stock zelos electrics.

I don't consider those good props either. They are more of an amp hog than say a 1815-17-45 and a good bit slower even though they have more pitch. My experience with those props anyway. If you went 80 with those props, you would go 88-90 with 1815's

Keagan-Z06
03-26-2016, 09:22 AM
I don't consider those good props either. They are more of an amp hog than say a 1815-17-45 and a good bit slower even though they have more pitch. My experience with those props anyway. If you went 80 with those props, you would go 88-90 with 1815's

kfx are you saying with just a prop change the Zelos can possibly go 80+ or am I missing some other upgrades?

Keagan-Z06
03-26-2016, 09:28 AM
That's one of those silly details I put in the manual, lol
:tongue_smilie::thumbup1:

Got them loose last night, lubed up with grease and did a little testing (not on water). Ill see if I can get the video posted up. Also attempted to sharpen props as well, so like other members, I too wont have a stock baseline for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaa9lY5381shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaa9lY5381s

Sorry for the quality, not on wifi.

kfxguy
03-26-2016, 09:42 AM
kfx are you saying with just a prop change the Zelos can possibly go 80+ or am I missing some other upgrades?

No. His boat he went 80 with when using those props

JPriami
03-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Keagan-Z06, the props I mention were from a custom build I did a few years ago. The Corvette twin 32" rivercat. I went about 80 mph with the abc props I mentioned on just 14.8v. The boat was never fully topped out as it still had the ability to run on 22.2v. So it's real top speed never was achived. I had a servo glitch and it wiped out. Part of the hull split so I retired the hull to shelf queen. Paint still looked good for that.

Rafael_Lopez
03-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Jpriami, what motors and ESCs were in that boat?

Keagan-Z06
03-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Keagan-Z06, the props I mention were from a custom build I did a few years ago. The Corvette twin 32" rivercat. I went about 80 mph with the abc props I mentioned on just 14.8v. The boat was never fully topped out as it still had the ability to run on 22.2v. So it's real top speed never was achived. I had a servo glitch and it wiped out. Part of the hull split so I retired the hull to shelf queen. Paint still looked good for that.

The name corvette is enough to get me excited. Are those c6 or c5 crossed flags. Reason I ask is because I also see the ZR1 emblem which is only on the 6th gen. Either way I say revive the beast!

JPriami
03-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Rafael, The Motors were Leopard 3674 2650Kv. ESCs swordfish pro 220. im a bit worried the abc props I have might be too much for the stock zelos electrics. But ill check temps and short test today.

Keagan-Z06, Its the 6th gen corvette. I used to have a C5 that I supercharged and did a lot of stuff too before I got hitched & was single. So after having a family and kids, i decided to get back into RC. So of course I built a boat & the paint scheme was after the 6th gen corvette race cars. I had a forum member make up the custom graphics for me. Also the C5 has a ring around the flags. C6 does not.

Keagan-Z06
03-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Rafael, The Motors were Leopard 3674 2650Kv. ESCs swordfish pro 220. im a bit worried the abc props I have might be too much for the stock zelos electrics. But ill check temps and short test today.

Keagan-Z06, Its the 6th gen corvette. I used to have a C5 that I supercharged and did a lot of stuff too before I got hitched & was single. So after having a family and kids, i decided to get back into RC. So of course I built a boat & the paint scheme was after the 6th gen corvette race cars. I had a forum member make up the custom graphics for me. Also the C5 has a ring around the flags. C6 does not.

I think a Jake themed livery would do good from the C7R!

Mxkid261
03-26-2016, 08:16 PM

This rivercat is so bada$$ lol I went through your build thread last fall, beautiful boat I never knew you cracked it up you should definitely resurrect it lol

arrover
03-30-2016, 09:28 AM
I got up early to beat the wind/rain and was rewarded. Testing Octura X447s on excellent water. First fast run was 73.4mph and the backup run was 73.7mph. I made a couple passes on 4S and it came out to 51.1mph. The best thing is that when my boat gets past about 60ish it settles down and runs dead flat. Amazingly smooth. So far, on lower speeds (like the 4S runs) it just bounces along and will not settle down. Anyway, excellent experience with these props. The acceleration is much better than my stock unsharpened props. I bet a lot of that was because they weren't sharpened though. All the temps were low. Motors got to around 100. ESC, cap pack, connectors, batteries all were around 90. Take note though that these were just speed runs for roughly half of my packs capacity. Sport running for an entire packs worth would give you higher temps and I haven't tested that. On top of that I was bringing it in regularly to check temps and speeds.

142032 142033 142034

arrover
03-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Double post. Can't get it to delete...

Keagan-Z06
03-30-2016, 09:39 AM
I got up early to beat the wind/rain and was rewarded. Testing Octura X447s on excellent water. First fast run was 73.4mph and the backup run was 73.7mph. I made a couple passes on 4S and it came out to 51.1mph. The best thing is that when my boat gets past about 60ish it settles down and runs dead flat. Amazingly smooth. So far, on lower speeds (like the 4S runs) it just bounces along and will not settle down. Anyway, excellent experience with these props. The acceleration is much better than my stock unsharpened props. I bet a lot of that was because they weren't sharpened though. All the temps were low. Motors got to around 100. ESC, cap pack, connectors, batteries all were around 90. Take note though that these were just speed runs for roughly half of my packs capacity. Sport running for an entire packs worth would give you higher temps and I haven't tested that. On top of that I was bringing it in regularly to check temps and speeds.

142032 142033 142034

Wow congrats arrover! That thing is flying. This was just a prop change correct? Sharpened and balanced?

arrover
03-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks! Yes, prop change only. You HAVE to sharpen and balance Octura and ABC props before you run them.

Yellow
03-30-2016, 10:12 PM
73.4 and 73.7 mph with two (2) 3s batteries? Wow! Have you tried four (4) 3s packs?
What Mah and C rating are those packs? Brand?
I'm impressed! All that from a prop swap.
Good job!

Brushless55
03-31-2016, 12:28 AM

142032 142033 142034

Great job man !
what a cheap upgrade on a RTR and get over 70mph !

arrover
03-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys. I have not tried running dedicated 6S to each motor/esc yet. I've only run the Y harness with two 3S packs so far. The batteries are Hobbyking Turnigy Heavy Dutys, 5000mah. I think their C rating is something like 60-120 and they have 5.5mm bullets. I have two sets of these batteries and they have run well in my modded Voracity and now in the Zelos.

Rafael_Lopez
03-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Very impressive Arrower. I have a set of those psops that I sharpened and balanced but have yet to try them. I've actually not been back on the water for some weeks now.

Thanks for the update and glad to her you're getting your boat settled in.

Keagan-Z06
03-31-2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys. I have not tried running dedicated 6S to each motor/esc yet. I've only run the Y harness with two 3S packs so far. The batteries are Hobbyking Turnigy Heavy Dutys, 5000mah. I think their C rating is something like 60-120 and they have 5.5mm bullets. I have two sets of these batteries and they have run well in my modded Voracity and now in the Zelos.

Do you have a hard time getting those Turnigy's? I am trying to get the graphene but back ordered!

arrover
03-31-2016, 04:33 PM
I've actually not been back on the water for some weeks now.

I imagine you need a break from boats sometimes. To much of a good thing I would guess. It's hard for us hobbyist to imagine that!

Keagan, I think I had to wait for the batteries to be restocked last time I ordered. And just to be clear, the Turnigy packs have 5.5mm bullets so you will have to either change the EC5 connectors on the boat or solder EC5s on the batteries. They're not plug and play like Horizon's packs are.

Keagan-Z06
03-31-2016, 07:55 PM
Keagan, I think I had to wait for the batteries to be restocked last time I ordered. And just to be clear, the Turnigy packs have 5.5mm bullets so you will have to either change the EC5 connectors on the boat or solder EC5s on the batteries. They're not plug and play like Horizon's packs are.

Thanks man, I'll keep an eye out. My Dynamite packs are scheduled to come in tonight on cargo plane, so should be able to clear them at customs tomorrow! Also my Zelos was picked up a few minutes ago, like it never was hit! :banana:

arrover
04-01-2016, 11:30 AM
This morning I wanted to test the x447 props with 15 degree timing but things just didn't go smoothly. I did verify that the 73+mph runs from the other day were with 7 degrees timing. I changed the timing to 15 degrees and upped the LVC to 3.4v for this morning. The boat continued to hit the LVC even with full packs so I disabled it. Then I flipped the boat 3 times on calm water before I realized that one strut had come out of adjustment. I eye balled it compared to the one that was still in adjustment and continued on. I could not seem to get the boat to run faster than 68._mph. I even turned the timing down to 11? degrees but nothing was working for me. In the end there were to many variables, things out of adjustment, and a little frustration so I packed it in. Still, it appears that the combination of this prop and increased timing wasn't the best. I'm going to try it again though.

Rafael, were you able to find out the wind of these motors? It would be helpful to know for timing purposes.

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I have noticed that, on hard flips (well, any flip, really) one or both of the struts can shift. They only have a single bolt in tension holding them in place.

Might be a decent upgrade to get a tad larger bolt/nut and use some wider washers to get a little more grip.

Rafael_Lopez
04-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Travis and I posted this in one of the various other threads dedicated to this boat, maybe even a few pages back in this thread. All our 6 pole marine motors are delta wind. The manufacturer recommends runing them at 7* or less, for best performance.

arrover
04-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks Darin. I wasn't aware that could happen but I'll be watching for it now. I did forget the best news of the day: No damage after the flips!

arrover
04-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Yeah, Travis and I posted this in one of the various other threads dedicated to this boat, maybe even a few pages back in this thread. All our 6 pole marine motors are delta wind. The manufacturer recommends running them at 7* or less, for best performance.

Thanks Rafael! Good info. Kind of matches my results today.

paulfromtulsa
04-01-2016, 11:37 PM
I got better speeds at 7 degrees of n timing appose to 15 degrees

Keagan-Z06
04-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Quick question. How would prospect affect receiver transmission? I'm thinking of enclosing my receiver in a little prospect box about the size of a match box but enough to fit the receiver in, all in the name of avoiding water. Would performance be affected if the antenna is still in the stock position.

paulfromtulsa
04-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Quick question. How would prospect affect receiver transmission? I'm thinking of enclosing my receiver in a little prospect box about the size of a match box but enough to fit the receiver in, all in the name of avoiding water. Would performance be affected if the antenna is still in the stock position.

Havithe receiver in a box will not effect the range at all.

Keagan-Z06
04-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Keagan-Z06
04-04-2016, 09:00 AM
What are you guys using for replacement of your rudder "lock", the little plastic thingy that keeps the rudder in place or breaks away after a hit? I just realized yesterday that mine broke off after my crash last week.

Darin Jordan
04-04-2016, 09:49 AM
What are you guys using for replacement of your rudder "lock", the little plastic thingy that keeps the rudder in place or breaks away after a hit? I just realized yesterday that mine broke off after my crash last week.

I usually go to the hardware store and buy brass 4-40 screws and use them. If you want something fancier, you can order Socket Head versions from McMaster-Carr as well.

Brass works well. Tightens with some torque, but shears when hit.

Keagan-Z06
04-04-2016, 11:00 AM
I usually go to the hardware store and buy brass 4-40 screws and use them. If you want something fancier, you can order Socket Head versions from McMaster-Carr as well.

Brass works well. Tightens with some torque, but shears when hit.

Thanks Darin!

Rafael_Lopez
04-04-2016, 11:28 AM
PRB285000 is the pack of 5 nylon breakaway bolts and nuts for this item. Retails for $6.99.
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB285000

kfxguy
04-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Congrats arrover for breaking inch 70. I figured you'd be first lol. I was out in heart surgery for the past week and a half and got released from the hospital last night. I've tried to follow along on the threads but with all the meds I was on, there was no way. Just had no interest whatsoever. Headed back home tomorrow and I can't can't to get there and get back to my normal life.

Keagan-Z06
04-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Welcome back kfx, hope you have a speedy recovery, forget boats for awhile, we will be here when you get back.

arrover
04-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Heart surgery!?! Geesh man. Sorry to hear that. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

TRUCKPULL
04-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Welcome back Travis.

Have you been using the Teddy Bear like I told you??:hug1:

Larry

kfxguy
04-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Welcome back Travis.

Have you been using the Teddy Bear like I told you??:hug1:

Larry

Yes, omg it hurts so badly

TRUCKPULL
04-07-2016, 11:52 PM
I for got to tell you that you could have taken a blow-up-doll instead of the Teddy-Bear with you to the hospital.

That would have confused everyone - "AW - it is just one of those guys from down south"

Larry

kfxguy
04-08-2016, 04:36 PM
I for got to tell you that you could have taken a blow-up-doll instead of the Teddy-Bear with you to the hospital.

That would have confused everyone - "AW - it is just one of those guys from down south"

Larry

Lol don't make me laugh. It hurts badly. I'm just glad to have a second chance on life and hang out with you guys!

Rafael_Lopez
04-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Lol don't make me laugh. It hurts badly. I'm just glad to have a second chance on life and hang out with you guys!

Glad to see you posting. Since you're up, I'll send you a video.:spy:

paulfromtulsa
04-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Does my strut level need to be raised or lowered if my boat wants to go airborne under full throttle? It's currently at a neutral level but it will not stay down over 60mph. Thanks

Rafael_Lopez
04-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Angle up to raise the bow, Angle down to lower it. It's in the manual. ;)

Keagan-Z06
04-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Rafael if you keep throwing this manual mombo jumbo in our face, I might actually have to read this thing in depth. :laugh:

Rafael_Lopez
04-15-2016, 08:46 PM
You know how hard I worked on that manual? To know people don't read it hurts my feelings.:(

J/K :P

Keagan-Z06
04-15-2016, 08:56 PM
You know how hard I worked on that manual? To know people don't read it hurts my feelings.:(

J/K :P

:hug1: Bring it in!

Yellow
04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
What is the little black buttons next to the esc on/off buttons for?

Rafael_Lopez
04-15-2016, 10:16 PM
The little black button is to change chemistry. Hold for 3 seconds and green LED on ESC will flash and turn red after 5 seconds. Red led on ESC is for NiMh and will ruin your LiPos......don't touch the little black button....lol.

Yellow
04-15-2016, 11:48 PM
The little black button is to change chemistry. Hold for 3 seconds and green LED on ESC will flash and turn red after 5 seconds. Red led on ESC is for NiMh and will ruin your LiPos......don't touch the little black button....lol.

Seriously? No joke? I didn't see that in the manual. Who the hell runs NiMh?

Keagan-Z06
04-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Dang! I need a don't touch this button sticker as I'm sure I've touched that before but not for 3 secs.

Mxkid261
04-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Dang! I need a don't touch this button sticker as I'm sure I've touched that before but not for 3 secs.

Or just read the manual Lol

Keagan-Z06
04-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Or just read the manual Lol

Or that. Lol

buckman
04-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Hey kfxguy glad to here your on the road to recovery, Is that your 36"twin sitting over at BC shaver waiting for you.

Cheers
Buckman

Mercer2
04-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Ok I did my test however I was only able to do 60.89mph and that is with only a prop change a pair of octura x447 sharp and balanced, battery temperatures where a little hot at 130f as you can see.

however I only had a pond 400 feet long, which is not so goo to measure speed.

http://i.imgur.com/HnX8ePH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eDkmF2u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ugIbnA5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SZDujvT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N5qet4w.jpg

arrover
04-16-2016, 03:57 PM
I think you either need a longer place to run like you say or maybe some boat tuning. When I ran the 73mph runs with the x447s I was at 4mm on the struts and two 3s batteries as far forward as possible. When the batteries are that far forward they can only be strapped in by one Velcro strap each (at least with my packs anyway). Nice pictures!

kfxguy
04-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Hey kfxguy glad to here your on the road to recovery, Is that your 36"twin sitting over at BC shaver waiting for you.

Cheers
Buckman

Thanks.

What do you mean? My twin is here in my shop on my shelf waiting to be run again. If I feel up to it, I may go run it today.

buckman
04-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Coincidence friend, I was picking up my 48" Zelos last Friday and the LHS owner mentioned there's a 36"twin waiting for owner to pick up after his heart bypass surgery.
Glad your good to go

Buckman

kfxguy
04-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Coincidence friend, I was picking up my 48" Zelos last Friday and the LHS owner mentioned there's a 36"twin waiting for owner to pick up after his heart bypass surgery.
Glad your good to go

Buckman

Gotcha. I had two valves replaced. Ivebern having my zelos....before they were released to the public.

JPriami
04-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Well after running the boat for the 4th time out & hitting 75.7 Mph today. Watching the water coming out the side outlets I feel it should flow better than this. Tonight I gave the cooling system a closer inspection. Taking hoses off and blowing through parts of the system I noticed the esc's seem to be the most restrictive. Took the esc's off and wow those nipples have a tiny ID. So I took a 3/32 drill bit and opened them up a little. Here are a couple before and after shots. Looking forward to trying it out next weekend.

paulfromtulsa
04-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Well after running the boat for the 4th time out & hitting 75.7 Mph today. Watching the water coming out the side outlets I feel it should flow better than this. Tonight I gave the cooling system a closer inspection. Taking hoses off and blowing through parts of the system I noticed the esc's seem to be the most restrictive. Took the esc's off and wow those nipples have a tiny ID. So I took a 3/32 drill bit and opened them up a little. Here are a couple before and after shots. Looking forward to trying it out next weekend.

What props were you using to get 75 mph?

arrover
04-16-2016, 11:39 PM
Great speed and thanks for the cooling info. Have you cleaned the paint out of your cooling intakes? Mine was slightly restricted there. Not terrible but cleaning it out helped the flow.

JPriami
04-17-2016, 12:05 AM
Yes cleaning the paint out was one of the first things I had done after the first run.

Abc 1816/3

Keagan-Z06
04-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Yes cleaning the paint out was one of the first things I had done after the first run.

Abc 1816/3

Was there need for a better flex shaft or the stock one handle that prop well?

JPriami
04-17-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm still using the stock flexes. I do plan to buy the stronger ones later on. But only because my flexes wore excessively due to the out drives not being properly assembled from the factory. Thus the grease kept getting sucked out the first 3 trips to the lake. For me the upgraded ones would offer a little extra piece of mind.

Mxkid261
04-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Was there need for a better flex shaft or the stock one handle that prop well?

I dont have one, but the cables on this boat should handle most anything you throw at it

Keagan-Z06
04-17-2016, 08:44 AM
I dont have one, but the cables on this boat should handle most anything you throw at it

I did that with my voracity. Didn't upgrade my flex and used an unbalanced octura 452 I think and lost everything. Prop, bullet, shaft! That won't be happening again! Lol

Mxkid261
04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
What size are they? I was under the impression they are 3/16 cables. Thats a pretty large diameter prop you were running, I doubt a 3/16 cable will last too long with a 52mm prop bouncing through waves getting unloaded/loaded but I could be wrong. I never run in rough conditions but Ive heard its hard on the driveline when that is happening

Keagan-Z06
04-17-2016, 09:53 AM
3/16 but Rafael told me I should of been running atleast a 1/4" flex with that size of a prop. Too add to it I didn't balance the prop, attempted sharpening and polish but never balanced as I don't have a balancer. Lesson learned. I was gonna go with the abc 1915 I think it was but they were outta stock.

kfxguy
04-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Abc 1816/3

That's ALOT of prop. How long did you run it and what were the temps like?

forescott
04-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Anyone else check the amount of play in the motor shafts? I can grab my props and slide them in and out about 1/4". Seems like the prop thrust pushing against those motor bearings might cause excessive friction and wear, not to mention it almost looks like the collets are resting against the motor mounts when you press the prop shafts in all the way. Anyone else seeing this?

arrover
04-17-2016, 05:43 PM
That's not right. I just measured play on a brand new Zelos 36 motor and its about half a millimeter. Have you been lubing the front bearings? I believe the recommendation is to lube them every day.

JPriami
04-17-2016, 07:18 PM
That's ALOT of prop. How long did you run it and what were the temps like?

Oh for about 19 mins or 7.5 miles between 14.8 & 22.2v. It's on the gps data. Temps? Haha..they were ok to the touch, but the last run of packs it got pretty warm. Because I ran harder. Someone wanted to video. A spectator on a motorcycle.

Btw, I don't endorse any one using this prop.

kfxguy
04-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Oh for about 19 mins or 7.5 miles between 14.8 & 22.2v. It's on the gps data. Temps? Haha..they were ok to the touch, but the last run of packs it got pretty warm. Because I ran harder. Someone wanted to video. A spectator on a motorcycle.

So you ran it for 19 minutes straight? Or were you making speed runs and bringing it in?

JPriami
04-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Runs on sets of packs. High speed runs & cool downs. Not 19 mins strsight up. But that was total run time.

forescott
04-20-2016, 12:20 AM
That's not right. I just measured play on a brand new Zelos 36 motor and its about half a millimeter. Have you been lubing the front bearings? I believe the recommendation is to lube them every day.

I've only run it once, I'll try to post a video

forescott
04-20-2016, 12:47 AM
This doesn't seem right.
Ec0sH-VfZdg

arrover
04-20-2016, 09:40 AM
I watched your video and it's still hard to tell how far it's moving. Have you precisely measured it? What kind of play is in your other motor?

Keagan-Z06
04-20-2016, 09:52 AM
How hard is it to change bearings? I too have some play on my voracity motor but I don't think it is as bad as the one above.

arrover
04-20-2016, 10:24 AM
I think some play is normal. I'm just not sure how much play is to much.

Rafael_Lopez
04-20-2016, 10:44 AM
This doesn't seem right.
Ec0sH-VfZdg

That looks about right, wont harm anything. Once the motor is under load the cable will compress, shrink, and will pull the rotor shaft forward so the rotor rides against the front bearing. There are aluminum spacers in front and behind the rotor; in between the rotor and the bearings. This is why it's so important to keep that front bearing lubricated

What exactly is the concern? Just questioning if that is normal?

As to the cooling, this boat will not shoot a 6-8 inch stream of water out the side like most boats will. The intent of water cooling is to allows the water enough time to soak in the heat from the electronics. If the water passes too quickly through the system, this is not accomplished properly. I wouldn't be concerned until you see more than 140* on the ESC and close to 180* on the motor. These were the numbers given to me by the manufacturers. In addition, the ESC will thermal and shut down before it goes up in smoke.....don't know about you guys, but I cant tell if water is coming out the side off the boat at 60, lets not even talk about how hard it would be at 70+.

forescott
04-20-2016, 11:22 PM
I think the collets were actually hitting the motor mount. I loosened the collets and moved them back about 1mm. I had uneven motor rpm on my first run so I thought the collet on one side may have been rubbing on the motor mount.

forescott
04-20-2016, 11:23 PM
The play on the other side is slightly less

Rafael_Lopez
04-20-2016, 11:54 PM
If the collet was hitting the mount there would be wear marks on the aluminum mounts. Make sure to keep and eye out there. Also, the collet gets pulled away from the mount as the prop loads up, so the play you get when the motor is static is gone under load.

When you say you were getting uneven motor RPM, was the boat pulling to one side or the other while accelerating on water? Or were you basing that off bumping the power on the bench?

kfxguy
04-21-2016, 11:18 AM
This doesn't seem right.
Ec0sH-VfZdg

Mine moves that much and it runs just fine.

forescott
04-21-2016, 07:09 PM
If the collet was hitting the mount there would be wear marks on the aluminum mounts. Make sure to keep and eye out there. Also, the collet gets pulled away from the mount as the prop loads up, so the play you get when the motor is static is gone under load.

When you say you were getting uneven motor RPM, was the boat pulling to one side or the other while accelerating on water? Or were you basing that off bumping the power on the bench?

I could hear uneven rpm at half throttle. No pulling left or right. I've since synced the esc's via the instructions and pulled the collets away from the motor a tiny bit. Will see how that works.

paulfromtulsa
04-21-2016, 09:35 PM
Ran the zelos today with some x447 props. The best I got was 69mph with the batteries as far back as they could go. I got 65mph with the batteries as far up as they could go. The boat was much more stable with the batteries up front

ChevyPrerunner
04-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Hey Guys,

I just caught up on this thread nice speeds here you guys!
I ordered up some CNC 42mm here from OSE to give a try since i haven't seen anyone else report anything on the CNC's..
Hope to get a lil more speed out of them over the stocks.
I have not touched my struts out of the box or the cooling lines.
Water flow is pretty slow but my temps have been right around 100 Degrees on both the motor and ESC so nothing to worry about as Rafael has stated above.
Will report back on the CNC's whenever they arrive.
Here are some pics from me running completely stock.
Fun Cat For Sure!

Cheers,

Brian

Keagan-Z06
04-21-2016, 11:50 PM
Nice shots Brian

kfxguy
04-22-2016, 07:37 PM
So I was able to make it to the lake for a few minutes today. I made no changes from last run just to see how consistent it is. It went 74.6mph and I think last time it went 74.4 so id say it's very consistent. After the run you see in the video below I tried to move the struts and just eyeball it but that isn't gonna work. At about 55 it started lifting out the water. Tried that a couple times and brought it in. Then I moved the batts back. I could tell it was looser at this point but my batts were down a bit but it still went 74.4 again. That tells me with fully topped off packs it should do 76ish. I'll try it again tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/N6ueY9gCIg8

ray schrauwen
04-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Very nice looking boat. If I had $1000 cdn I'd love one. Nice lines.

kfxguy
04-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Very nice looking boat. If I had $1000 cdn I'd love one. Nice lines.

Yes it is a very nice looking boat. One of my favorite hulls now. This one is getting painted a nice house of kolor orange as soon as I feel up to it (and I either break 80mph or get darn close to it!)

ChevyPrerunner
04-23-2016, 02:11 AM
Nice shots Brian

Thanks Keagan!! Its a killer Cat, Can't wait to run in the morning! haha

Keagan-Z06
04-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks Keagan!! Its a killer Cat, Can't wait to run in the morning! haha

I just got my rescue raft, so no more conservative runs from here on out!

arrover
04-23-2016, 09:34 AM
I feel like I'm still figuring this boat out. There are more variables to tweak and get the feel for than my other boats. Like KFX, I ran the same props as before just to see if it was running the same speed. The X447s ran 72.2mph today so about 1-1.5moh slower than my previous runs. I think that's because the water was flat and it probably would have been a tiny bit faster with just a little breeze. After those runs I put on a set of CNC 5014s. I already had a regular rotation 5014 so I decided to order a reverse and try them. Today I was only able to run around 67.0 (49.0mph on 4s). The other day the same props ran 68.2mph. I'm not ready to say that this is the fastest that these two sets of props can run. So far though, it does seem like the 5014s may be to much for the stock motors to swing efficiently.

Brushless55
04-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Yes it is a very nice looking boat. One of my favorite hulls now. This one is getting painted a nice house of kolor orange as soon as I feel up to it (and I either break 80mph or get darn close to it!)

That's good to know bro !

Keagan-Z06
04-23-2016, 09:55 AM
I need a GPS asap! Any recommendations without breaking the pocket?

arrover
04-23-2016, 10:15 AM
I like the older Garmin Forerunner series like the 101, 201, 301 etc. You can buy them used on ebay pretty cheaply. They display speed in decimals, they're waterproof, and fit in boats and in battery straps well. Mine is a 101. The higher models can download their data to a computer.

Keagan-Z06
04-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks arrover. Checked em out, reasonable for its sole purpose.

Rafael_Lopez
04-23-2016, 02:06 PM
If you can get a 201, get it. I got a 101 and a 201 and lost the 101 when it got wet. The 201 has been submerged for at least 15 minutes with no issues. The issue with the 101 is that it uses AAA batteries so it's not sealed like the 201, which is also rechargeable.

kfxguy
04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
If you can get a 201, get it. I got a 101 and a 201 and lost the 101 when it got wet. The 201 has been submerged for at least 15 minutes with no issues. The issue with the 101 is that it uses AAA batteries so it's not sealed like the 201, which is also rechargeable.

I agree. I much prefer the rechargeable one. It's thinner and lighter too.

kfxguy
04-23-2016, 07:29 PM
I've got some good useful info for you guys that wanted to know about timing changes and their effects on speed. I ran it back to back making only one pass (to not drain the packs unnecessarily) and recorded the speeds.

So here's the results:

3.75 degrees went 74.7mph
7.5 degrees went 76.0mph
And 11.25 degrees went 74.8mph

I didn't go higher or lower than that because conventional wisdom told me what's the point lol. So the sweet spot seems to be 7.5 degrees which I think is the factory timing. For the record, I've never seen any increase in speed from timing except in this case. I'll admit I never changed timing at the lake which is probably why because conditions change day to day and so can speed. However, this boat has clicked off speeds within .2mph on three different days with totally different conditions on one of those days. I must say I'm still impressed with this boat.

Now....my new best after testing I put a fresh set of packs in.......

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/772E2ADD-50D7-4CD7-AC38-878668BE9D5F.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/772E2ADD-50D7-4CD7-AC38-878668BE9D5F.jpg.html)

arrover
04-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Nice number and thanks for the timing data!

Keagan-Z06
04-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks Rafael, rechargeable is needed! You have been quiet these past days, are you working on a little secret?? Do tell!

Rafael_Lopez
04-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks Rafael, rechargeable is needed! You have been quiet these past days, are you working on a little secret?? Do tell!

Nah, I'm on the net helping people by choice. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with questions and need some time away, or just look from the sidelines. I've completely disconnected from FB for a while. I'm sure I'll go back to hundreds of messages, all asking what the best prop for this boat is, lol.

kfxguy
04-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Nah, I'm on the net helping people by choice. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with questions and need some time away, or just look from the sidelines. I've completely disconnected from FB for a while. I'm sure I'll go back to hundreds of messages, all asking what the best prop for this boat is, lol.

I started this thread with thoughts partially of answering those types of questions. Hopefully most people that own one of these somehow make their way to this thread. It has some useful info. One thing is the boat will break 70 with the stock props if they are sharpened and balanced and the boat is dialed in. Not sure how much faster anyone really needs to go with this boat (excluding myself lol). 70+ is moving for any boat, especially a rtr. Things could be devastating at these speeds should you flip and land just the right (wrong actually lol) way. At 70 this thing looks and sounds fast as hell. Plus it handles very well and it's a Very fun boat to run. Can't wait till mine is finished (it's apart right now getting a paint job).

Rafael_Lopez
04-25-2016, 05:37 PM
You mean a fiberglass boat cant take a crash at 70+? But water is soft. What a piece of crap. I crashed my RC truck in to a curb at 70mph and it held up just fine.**Sarcasm**:lol:

Keagan-Z06
04-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Yeah Rafael, totally understand. We appreciate all you do for us. Take it easy! On a side note. I had the worst day ever! I'm thinking maybe I'm not cut out for this. I lost the drain plug Again for the Zelos. It was a bit snug and when I got it out it flew outta my hands and into the river. So much for that! The voracity was the worst, put the strut back to neutral since I no longer run in rough waters and after 5 mins of spontaneous burst, we brought it in, no signs of any incidents. Open the hatch and smoke is coming out. Capacitors are toast but the ESC still operated normally. I will post a picture when I can of what I'm talking about. I'm assuming I'll need a new ESC now. I already had a power button defect on the Zelos Twin and now this. Wooooosaaaaaahhh!!! Lol

kenrid
04-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Great thread. It is time for me to get one of these boats. With so much info here, it seems I should get 100kp/h [63mph] out of the box with sharpened and balanced props.

IRON-PAWW
04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
That's right Ken :-) You know you want to! Remember that LHS that has one sitting all alone.........

Rafael_Lopez
04-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Yeah Rafael, totally understand. We appreciate all you do for us. Take it easy! On a side note. I had the worst day ever! I'm thinking maybe I'm not cut out for this. I lost the drain plug Again for the Zelos. It was a bit snug and when I got it out it flew outta my hands and into the river. So much for that! The voracity was the worst, put the strut back to neutral since I no longer run in rough waters and after 5 mins of spontaneous burst, we brought it in, no signs of any incidents. Open the hatch and smoke is coming out. Capacitors are toast but the ESC still operated normally. I will post a picture when I can of what I'm talking about. I'm assuming I'll need a new ESC now. I already had a power button defect on the Zelos Twin and now this. Wooooosaaaaaahhh!!! Lol

Actually all you need is to add a cap bank as close to the board as possible. The caps blowing is a sign that you somehow went over the ESCs peak amperage for a longer time that the safe burst rating. Somehow they got worked so hard they went out. Congrats, you're the only person I know of to find the cap's limits on this ESC.:wink:.......too soon?:doh:

Keagan-Z06
04-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Actually all you need is to add a cap bank as close to the board as possible. The caps blowing is a sign that you somehow went over the ESCs peak amperage for a longer time that the safe burst rating. Somehow they got worked so hard they went out. Congrats, you're the only person I know of to find the cap's limits on this ESC.:wink:.......too soon?:doh:

Way to make me feel better Rafael! Oh and to add to the mess, my brand new 1 day dingy got ripped too! Man overboard!!!!

Rafael_Lopez
04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Oh, man. That really sucks. Were you in it? Hopefully you didnt have to swim too far.

Keagan-Z06
04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Oh, man. That really sucks. Were you in it? Hopefully you didnt have to swim too far.

No but my friend was. lol. We caught it on video with him paddling back to shore

Keagan-Z06
04-27-2016, 10:44 PM
As promised.

http://youtu.be/TNm5GTqcI90

kfxguy
04-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Why does the zelos look orange in your video?

Keagan-Z06
04-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Just the filter from editing. That's the fastest I've run the Zelos. You may notice the Voracity hasn't gotten much high speed runs and that's because quite frankly it's a bit unstable. When I get the cap bank I'll give it some adjustments and try again.

Darin Jordan
04-28-2016, 07:23 AM
You may notice the Voracity hasn't gotten much high speed runs and that's because quite frankly it's a bit unstable.

Hahaha... It's a Mono... by definition, they are "unstable"... :) Much easier to go fast when you can balance on two points, as opposed to just one point of a V. ;)

Keagan-Z06
04-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Yeah but in some of the videos you guys post it seems like it's riding on rails. Lol. Could be all that flat water you lucky bunch get.

Darin Jordan
04-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah but in some of the videos you guys post it seems like it's riding on rails. Lol. Could be all that flat water you lucky bunch get.

Monos all have a designed "speed limit"... At some point you are going fast enough where most of the keel is out of the water, then bad things happen.

You combat that by adding weight, or redesigning the hull for a faster speed threshold.

Rafael_Lopez
04-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Keagan, in your case I think it's just battery placement. That river is not as rough as the waters I tested the Voracity in. Try moving your batteries forward, maybe all the way forward, and dripping your trim tabs just a bit. That should keep it planted enough to run through that water at high speeds. It may also be necessary to mount an extra set of tabs closer to the keel.

paulfromtulsa
04-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Ran my zelos yesterday with some x447 props and got 71mph!

arrover
04-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Yeah man! Broke that 70mph barrier!

Keagan-Z06
04-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Keagan, in your case I think it's just battery placement. That river is not as rough as the waters I tested the Voracity in. Try moving your batteries forward, maybe all the way forward, and dripping your trim tabs just a bit. That should keep it planted enough to run through that water at high speeds. It may also be necessary to mount an extra set of tabs closer to the keel.

Thanks Rafael, by tabs near the keel, what do you mean?

kfxguy
04-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Good job Paul!

Yellow
04-29-2016, 02:09 PM

What temps were you getting?

Brushless55
04-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Monos all have a designed "speed limit"... At some point you are going fast enough where most of the keel is out of the water, then bad things happen.

You combat that by adding weight, or redesigning the hull for a faster speed threshold.

Thank you, I think this is what I need for my QMono ! :biggrin:

Has anyone ran the x645 props on this twin ?
reason I ask is on my Limited Sport Hydro I tried a 447 prop and ran low 50's then went with a 645 that I now race with, picked up 4mph and dropped temps by 15-20*

Erroneous
04-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Let the modding begin. Went with swordfish 240s (overkill), poseidon 1515 2200kv motors and 4 revolectrix silver435 3s packs for 6s2p. Put the ESCs at the back of the batt tray, batts under the bow deck. Test ran yesterday in windy rough conditions. 2mm negative on struts for starters, smooth as can be considering conditions ( new hull Rapael ). Didnt GPS as was a test run but guessing 65ish. Running b/s/p x442s for now and will work into the Dasboata ABCs. Fun times ahead.

arrover
04-29-2016, 05:31 PM
reason I ask is on my Limited Sport Hydro I tried a 447 prop and ran low 50's then went with a 645 that I now race with, picked up 4mph and dropped temps by 15-20*

I'm on my phone but I don't believe that Octura makes a counter rotating x645.

kfxguy
04-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Thank you, I think this is what I need for my QMono ! :biggrin:

A 645 is definitely a faster prop (in most cases I've seen except a mono I had) but they don't make a reverse rotation version that I know of. Now. Abc makes some 1815's (I know your probably familiar with) that pull around the same amps (actually I've seen a touch less with the abcs) and they are about 10mph faster on my Rivercat.

I did try 1715's vs my 1814's and the 1715's lifted the nose too much.

Brushless55
04-29-2016, 08:23 PM
A 645 is definitely a faster prop (in most cases I've seen except a mono I had) but they don't make a reverse rotation version that I know of. Now. Abc makes some 1815's (I know your probably familiar with) that pull around the same amps (actually I've seen a touch less with the abcs) and they are about 10mph faster on my Rivercat.

I did try 1715's vs my 1814's and the 1715's lifted the nose too much.

Great info, thanks Travis..

paulfromtulsa
04-29-2016, 09:05 PM
What temps were you getting?
I went through a full 7600mah battery pack and esc Temps were 105 motors were 113 the only thing hot were the connectors were around 140

Mxkid261
04-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Anyone know if the stuffing tubes come installed in the bare hull of this thing? Thinking about picking up a hull to build this coming winter. I really like the looks of this boat lol

Erroneous
04-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Anyone know if the stuffing tubes come installed in the bare hull of this thing? Thinking about picking up a hull to build this coming winter. I really like the looks of this boat lol

Yes they do.

Yellow
04-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Did you check the battery temps too?
How many batteries were you running?

ChevyPrerunner
04-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Just got back from a good day at the lake. Tried 4 runs on my new OSE 43mm CNC Props and major difference over the stockers. No Cavitation and up to speed right away. Didn't have a GPS to check the speeds. Thinking the 45mm's will be on my next order.

arrover
04-30-2016, 11:51 PM
What do you guys think of routing the ESC cooling hoses like this? It might eliminate a tiny bit of restriction in the cooling system and it cleans up the look of the boat. The downside would be if the front or rear of the ESCs is warmer than the other, one motor might run hotter. Can you think of any other downsides? I might have to try it.

paulfromtulsa
04-30-2016, 11:56 PM
That's how I run mine and get a little more flow

kfxguy
04-30-2016, 11:57 PM
I guess just try it and keep track of temps.

Rafael_Lopez
05-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks Rafael, by tabs near the keel, what do you mean?

I know this is out of place and has nothing to do with the Zelos 36, but thought posting this here may help someone else.

Keagan, this is not my picture and I'm only using as reference to your question regarding mounting another set of tabs closer to the keel on the Voracity 36.
http://www.americanrcboats.com/howto/setup%20vee-rod/Setup%20vee-rodfiles/veerodtabs.jpg

Ok, back on topic!:banana:

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks Rafael. Will give it a shot when the caps come in.

arrover
05-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Not my finest hour this morning.... I ran the twin into the dock doing at least 60mph. Nothing to blame except myself. Just a stupid, sad, $260 mistake. I did want to post the pictures because even though it really sucks, the hull is pretty darn impressive. The dock is a solid structure and the boat actually hit a piece of steel bracing. The batteries slid forward and securely wedged themselves under the deck (and ruined them at the same time). Both motors slid forward in the adjustable mounts but the mounts stayed attached to the hull. The main battery and electronics tray did not come unglued from the hull. Just a reminder of how serious these toys are and to be really careful around objects and especially people (don't run with people in the water).

If there was an upside to this morning, it was that I had just finished testing a new set of Y adapters built from 5.5 bullets. I switched the EC5 connectors on the ESCs to 5.5 bullets and ran four 3S packs the other day. X447 props got me to 73.2mph. This morning I ran two 3S packs with the new Y adapters that I built. You can see the positive adapter in the first picture. It replaces the stock EC5 Y harness that the boat comes with. Anyway, very close water conditions, same props, same batteries, no adjustments and it ran 72.5mph. So less than 1mph difference between the two battery setups. I wish I could have tested back to back on the same day but I don't have enough batteries to do that. If you're interested, here are a couple threads that talk about building these adapters: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?23833-5-5-Bullet-parallel-conectors and http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?20547-Y-connector-using-5-5-bullets&highlight=parallel .

142892 142893 142894 142895 142896

Darin Jordan
05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Not my finest hour this morning.... I ran the twin into the dock doing at least 60mph.

OUCH!

Sorry, Man!! :thumbdown:

arrover
05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks man. It's a horrible feeling of stupidity and sadness. I just ordered the replacement hull though so I should be putting this behind me soon...

paulfromtulsa
05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear about that arrover. But I can say the hull is pretty stout for a rtr. I trippled flipped mine this morning going about 50 and it did no damage at all.

kfxguy
05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
At least it didn't sink!

kfxguy
05-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Arrover, do yourself a favor on the next hull. Pour 20-30 grams of epoxy in each tip and about 30g in the front of the tunnel. When you do this, submerge the front of the boat in water while the epoxy cures. It will keep it from warping while the epoxy cures. If you want more info on this let me know. Ill direct you in the right direction.

T.S.Davis
05-05-2016, 01:27 PM
That's actually pretty impressive. At that speed I would have expected even more carnage.

We had a guy fall out of one of those little rafts. Our pond was super milky. Like a cup of coffee. That's the day we found out it was only 2.5 feet deep all the way across. He crawled out like the creature from the black lagoon.

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Aww man! Sorry to see that arrover. I know how u feel.

arrover
05-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Thank you guys. KFX, what does the epoxy in the tips do? Strengthen it for the future or is it for added weight up front???

kfxguy
05-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Thank you guys. KFX, what does the epoxy in the tips do? Strengthen it for the future or is it for added weight up front???

Both my friend. I do this in all of my boats. It does help. One guy I built a boat for, throttle got stuck and hit the bank and so tree roots. Embedded its self pretty deep into the bank and he had no damage. He attested the reason why was the reinforcement I did to the front. That same boat went flying out the water and did cartwheels many times until it stopped across the street (this was a long distance from the water to the other side of the street). It statues together. (Keyword, use your fail safes).

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Arrover

Did you have to upgrade the stock shaft to run the x447? I am willing to give the octuras another chance and would also purchase a balancer. I also just ordered the garmin 201, so I can contribute some testing as well.

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 06:31 PM
As luck would have it, one of my packs puffed somehow. So I'm down to 3 3s packs. Everyday going to work the river has been fricking flat, I mean like mirror flat. Voracity awaiting caps and Zelos awaiting drain plug. SMH!!!!

arrover
05-05-2016, 06:57 PM
KFX, I would be interested in hearing what specific epoxy product you use and a semi step-by-step overview of how you apply it to the hull. If you have time. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Keagan, I have not upgraded my flexes. Can you stick a small bolt and nut through the drain plug hole so you can run the Zelos now?

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 07:29 PM
I can use the drain plug from the voracity since that OTS at the moment but I'm anal like that. I can wait it out.

Keagan-Z06
05-05-2016, 09:29 PM
What prop balancer are you guys using?

kfxguy
05-05-2016, 10:18 PM
KFX, I would be interested in hearing what specific epoxy product you use and a semi step-by-step overview of how you apply it to the hull. If you have time. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Keagan, I have not upgraded my flexes. Can you stick a small bolt and nut through the drain plug hole so you can run the Zelos now?

Honestly the epoxy you use isnt important as long as its quality stuff. I use west system but your local hobby shop should carry two part epoxy suitable for fiberglass, the longer cure is better. It's better if you cut some fiberglass strands into the epoxy once it's mixed. Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. Anyway. Mix up each batch. Stand boat up. Pour each in seperate. If you don't wanna add too much weight to the front then do 20 grams each. Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.

kfxguy
05-05-2016, 10:19 PM

Honestly the epoxy you use isnt important as long as its quality stuff. I use west system but your local hobby shop should carry two part epoxy suitable for fiberglass, the longer cure is better. It's better if you cut some fiberglass strands into the epoxy once it's mixed. Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. Anyway. Mix up each batch. Stand boat up. Pour each in seperate. If you don't wanna add too much weight to the front then do 20 grams each. Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.

arrover
05-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Thanks KFX. I'm going to look into doing this.

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks KFX. I'm going to look into doing this.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Be glad to help.

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Can you mix match battery packs? For instance I have 3 3s dynamite packs 50c 5000mah, can I use two of those with let's say 2 Turnigy nano or Turnigy hd for 6s per esc on the Zelos? I have an opportunity to get them without having to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Can you mix match battery packs? For instance I have 3 3s dynamite packs 50c 5000mah, can I use two of those with let's say 2 Turnigy nano or Turnigy hd for 6s per esc on the Zelos? I have an opportunity to get them without having to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

I wouldn't. Too risky with the volatile nature of lipos.

Darin Jordan
05-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. .... Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.

That's a really good idea. I've had mine "suck in" the deck surface a little once it cured due to the heat.

Also, for some boats, like Sport Hydros, where getting enough forward weight is a problem, mixing in some lead shot and pouring that mixture into the tips minimized the amount of weight you have to add to get the boat's CG correct.

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 11:43 AM
How do these packs fair off? The Turnigy's HD? I read some reviews of the nanotech and the zippy but notice a lot of guys use the Turnigy's HD's. I won't mix match since it's not a good idea but I would run the Turnigy's in my voracity instead.

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 11:52 AM
That's a really good idea. I've had mine "suck in" the deck surface a little once it cured due to the heat.

Also, for some boats, like Sport Hydros, where getting enough forward weight is a problem, mixing in some lead shot and pouring that mixture into the tips minimized the amount of weight you have to add to get the boat's CG correct.

Yes, I've messed up a couple tips not having it in water. Never had an issue in water. Matter of fact I did this to my zelos the other day getting it ready for paint.

The lead shot is a great idea!

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 11:57 AM
How do these packs fair off? The Turnigy's HD? I read some reviews of the nanotech and the zippy but notice a lot of guys use the Turnigy's HD's. I won't mix match since it's not a good idea but I would run the Turnigy's in my voracity instead.

I decided to try a turdnigy hd a few months back. It was very strong (almost as strong as revolectrix) for the first few runs but dropped off in power dramatically. I think I lost about 8mph after several cycles. Never had this issue with any other battery. Confirmed it by using a different pack and my speed was back. Personally I wouldn't use turnigy batteries at this point. I always was against them but read how some people loved them so I decided to try for myself. Was hugely disappointed. These people running turnigys with fast boats, don't know what they are missing by not using a good battery. The only zippys I've seen used were in an aqua craft ul1 and they puffed very badly after a minute or so run time. He switched to another pack and didn't have that issue. That's all I know of them. I've never run them myself.

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks kfx, what packs would you recommend? Thanks for saving my hasty butt there. I don't have probs with the dynamite except one puffed but after the turmoil the voracity went through it may be linked to that.

Mxkid261
05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks kfx, what packs would you recommend? Thanks for saving my hasty butt there. I don't have probs with the dynamite except one puffed but after the turmoil the voracity went through it may be linked to that.

SPC or revoelectrix are nice batteries. My 70c SPC packs are awesome, never had a problem with them. I do run a pair of 2s 45c nano-tech's in my 24" hydro and they hold up good. They do get a little soft after a run but they never puff up, and I also race these packs in my 1/10 2wd buggies so they see lots of use

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 12:18 PM

I made a list in another thread.....ill see if I can remember

Smc (supposedly the same cells as Spc)
Spc (awesome batts and almost as powerful as the revos)
Hyperion (although I've never used these I've never heard bad about them)
Venom (I've used, last a long time)
revolectrix is my favorite and most powerful I've ever used
I've had good luck with smaller dynamite batts
Those bright green pulse are tough (I've used)
Gens ace but they are getting scarce (I've used)
Heard good things about giant power too
The new reaction packs seem to be doing very well too. Maybe someone else can confirm

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I made a list in another thread.....ill see if I can remember

Smc (supposedly the same cells as Spc)
Spc (awesome batts and almost as powerful as the revos)
Hyperion (although I've never used these I've never heard bad about them)
Venom (I've used, last a long time)
revolectrix is my favorite and most powerful I've ever used
I've had good luck with smaller dynamite batts
Those bright green pulse are tough (I've used)
Gens ace but they are getting scarce (I've used)
Heard good things about giant power too
The new reaction packs seem to be doing very well too. Maybe someone else can confirm

Thanks for all your help, are these shipped from within the US. I leave for Chicago Monday and would hate to leave without them. I'm looking at their sites right now, seems I can get ec5 connectors on the revos but from Singapore?

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 12:51 PM
SPC or revoelectrix are nice batteries. My 70c SPC packs are awesome, never had a problem with them. I do run a pair of 2s 45c nano-tech's in my 24" hydro and they hold up good. They do get a little soft after a run but they never puff up, and I also race these packs in my 1/10 2wd buggies so they see lots of use

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_99

Would any of the 3s pack from here be good? I can't access the SPC site for some reason, it wouldn't load. I would have to solder ec5 connectors on them. Male or female plugs? They both look alike, lol.

kfxguy
05-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all your help, are these shipped from within the US. I leave for Chicago Monday and would hate to leave without them. I'm looking at their sites right now, seems I can get ec5 connectors on the revos but from Singapore?

Revos come from Singapore. Every order I've made from them has arrived amazingly in 4-5 working days. I ordered on Sunday evening and get by Thursday.

Keagan-Z06
05-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Revos come from Singapore. Every order I've made from them has arrived amazingly in 4-5 working days. I ordered on Sunday evening and get by Thursday.

Crap, they won't make it in time. The SMC seems reasonable, any difference between the hard and soft packs?

daHammer
05-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Has anyone tried the Electron Pro 3s 5200mha 50c batteries by Common Sense RC?
If so, please give me some feeedback

Erroneous
05-11-2016, 08:23 PM
First good run today on new upgrades. 73.3mph on the x442s.. Still running really wet. The abc1715s are next.

Erroneous
05-11-2016, 09:15 PM

arrover
05-11-2016, 10:13 PM
First good run today on new upgrades. 73.3mph on the x442s.. Still running really wet. The abc1715s are next.

x442s? Those are basically the same prop as stock.

arrover
05-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Got my replacement hull today and thought some might be interested in what's included. Hull without floatation is 2675g, hatch 301g, floatation 75g. Total 3051 grams (6.73 pounds).

143007 143008 143009 143010

arrover
05-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Few more...

143011 143012 143013 143014

Yellow
05-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the specs and thank you for the photos.
Be careful with this one :)

Erroneous
05-12-2016, 12:10 AM
x442s? Those are basically the same prop as stock.

Spinning them on Poseidon 1515 2200kv motors and swordfish240s tho. This could get interesting.

arrover
05-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Spinning them on Poseidon 1515 2200kv motors and swordfish240s tho.

Ok! Yeah that certainly makes a difference.